IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 12/5/2022 at 11:03 AM, MikeyFresh said:

No idea why whatever version of the executable you currently have isn't providing track metadata, but the above combination definitely will.

The track title you have is a direct result of the command line you specified: "/Users/rossm/Music/LoveOverGoldSACD" >= "Users rossm Music LoveOverGoldSACD.dsf" with the slashes replaced with spaces. If you leave off whatever that switch was (cut off in the screen shot?), I bet you get the original track titles encoded in the metadata. 

15 hours ago, chichaz said:

The track title you have is a direct result of the command line you specified: "/Users/rossm/Music/LoveOverGoldSACD" >= "Users rossm Music LoveOverGoldSACD.dsf" with the slashes replaced with spaces. If you leave off whatever that switch was (cut off in the screen shot?), I bet you get the original track titles encoded in the metadata. 

No switch cut off - my understanding of the command is that that is the output file path. I think the newer executable and the right setting of the metadata switch might be the answer, just haven't tried it yet.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mfalcon said:

Hi

my pioneer I have been using for 4 years died so I purchased a Sony S590 on eBay. I’m having a little trouble but wanted to verify something before I ask for more help.  Is it the same auto script file and folder structure as the pioneer was?  I had researched before I bought and it seem like it was.

thanks

Yes the S590 uses the exact same AutoScript folder as the Pioneer did, no difference, nothing needs changing there.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Yes the S590 uses the exact same AutoScript folder as the Pioneer did, no difference, nothing needs changing there.

I thought so.

Here is my current status.  I boot the S590 with the same thumb drive that worked for the Pioneer for years.  It does what I expect which is take a minute to boot then eject the tray.  I can talk to it from my computer using the same Sonore SACDExtractGUI as I had been using with the Pioneer.  The only thing I change is the IP address, otherwise everythings stays the same. I click the button to start the rip and Nothing happens.  No output.

The big difference that I can see is that I'm using Wi-Fi because the Ethernet Port is not working for some reason.  I can connect to the S-590 no problem through Wi-Fi but that is different that what I was doing with the Pioneer.

I'm going to dig through settings on the S590 to make sure something isn't weird.

Should I try it through the CLI?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, mfalcon said:

I thought so.

Here is my current status.  I boot the S590 with the same thumb drive that worked for the Pioneer for years.  It does what I expect which is take a minute to boot then eject the tray.  I can talk to it from my computer using the same Sonore SACDExtractGUI as I had been using with the Pioneer.  The only thing I change is the IP address, otherwise everythings stays the same. I click the button to start the rip and Nothing happens.  No output.

The big difference that I can see is that I'm using Wi-Fi because the Ethernet Port is not working for some reason.  I can connect to the S-590 no problem through Wi-Fi but that is different that what I was doing with the Pioneer.

I'm going to dig through settings on the S590 to make sure something isn't weird.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

There are few minor differences to the process when using a Sony, mainly that it requires the S590 enter "sleep mode" in order for the AutoScript to be read-in.

Suffice it to say you need to ensure the S590 has it's Quick Start mode enabled in the player's settings menu.

Once the above is settled, the process to rip an SACD is as follows:

Step 1: Power ON the Sony Blu-ray Player, monitor the initial boot sequence via it's front panel display

Step 2: Connect USB thumb drive / AutoScript runs / disc tray opens automatically / place SACD in tray but don't close it

Step 3: Power OFF the Sony / disc tray closes automatically / player goes to sleep / AutoScript gains root access control

Step 4: Wait for Sony display to cease flashing OFF* / remove USB thumb drive** / Run rip with one click while the Sony sleeps

*S390/BX39 users just wait 5 full seconds in lieu of display going dark

** Leave the thumb drive removed from here forward unless power has been physically cut to the machine, or it has been used for general disc playback/movie watching etc... do not reinsert the thumb drive unless one of those two conditions exists. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

24 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

A major difference from the Pioneer is that the Sony requires a toggle of the audio settings after you insert the disc and before you rip if you are ripping in "awake" mode.  No such toggle is required if you are ripping in "sleep" mode.  You need to give us more details about how you are proceeding and what error messages you are receiving.  Also make sure to disable the "fast start" setting in the Sony because that cause problems generally too.

Sorry, our posts crossed in that I started writing and then took a phone call, then finished my post without seeing your reply.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

3 hours ago, mfalcon said:

I thought so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'd figure out why the Ethernet isn't working. When copying large amounts of data, I always go for hardline when there's an option as it tends to be faster and more stable.

9 minutes ago, mfalcon said:

I’m confused between your too post about quick start mode.  Enabled or No?

If you are using the sleep-server method on the Sony follow Mickey Fresh's instructions to the letter, which apparently involves having quick start enabled.

There are other methods for the Sony which work better when the quick start is disabled.

So your method will be a bit different than you remember from the Pioneer if you use the sleep-server method on the Sony because - correct me if I am wrong on this - the Pioneer does not use a sleep-server method.

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

So your method will be a bit different than you remember from the Pioneer if you use the sleep-server method on the Sony because - correct me if I am wrong on this - the Pioneer does not use a sleep-server method.

That is correct, the sleep-server method only applies to Sony brand players.

1 hour ago, mfalcon said:

Ok guys, I got it and am ripping the first one.  How do I proceed to rip the second one.  Same process?

put new sand in tray, turn off player, click execute?

Correct, just load another SACD, press OFF to close the disc tray, and once again wait for the display to go dark before running the rip.

You'll get approximately 6-7 consecutive rips that way before the player's RAM has been exhausted and the routine refused, we think due to a memory leak in the executable. No worries however, just power cycle the unit, then reinsert the USB flash drive, rinse as repeat as previously.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 7 months later...

I am very late to this topic, only being told recently my Oppo103d could rip SACD. I quickly tried and it worked like a charm. Didn't listen to any SACD titles for a while as I preferred to play the files from my NAS. However, just went to play a SACD and the Oppo is now not recognising the disk. No trouble with CD, DVD or Bluray disks. I can't think why unless it is related to the ripping I did. I followed the instructions provided at the time with a W10 laptop. I have reset the player to factory default with no improvemnt. I only use the Oppo occasionaly as a disk transport so didn't pick this up earlier. With 227 pages in this thread, its too much to go through to find any similar posts, so I am hoping if anyone has had any experience with this, they may be able to help. I'm not sure how or why the rip could have effected the Oppo, but its the only thing I can think of.

31 minutes ago, Kit Walker said:

I am very late to this topic, only being told recently my Oppo103d could rip SACD. I quickly tried and it worked like a charm. Didn't listen to any SACD titles for a while as I preferred to play the files from my NAS. However, just went to play a SACD and the Oppo is now not recognising the disk. No trouble with CD, DVD or Bluray disks. I can't think why unless it is related to the ripping I did. I followed the instructions provided at the time with a W10 laptop. I have reset the player to factory default with no improvemnt. I only use the Oppo occasionaly as a disk transport so didn't pick this up earlier. With 227 pages in this thread, its too much to go through to find any similar posts, so I am hoping if anyone has had any experience with this, they may be able to help. I'm not sure how or why the rip could have effected the Oppo, but its the only thing I can think of.

Maybe a stpid question, but did the 'rip' procedure involved sarting your Oppo from an USB-stick? 

If so, is it possible the USB-stick is still inserted?

Dirk

45 minutes ago, Kit Walker said:

Hi Dirk, yes, I used aUSB with the script, but removed the stick at the conclusion of the rip, as per the instructions. No, the USB is not still in the Oppo. In fact its right in front of me.

Just thniking out loud, but did you check your OPPO menu settings, related to Play configuration?

as an example, here a page of the manual of my Oppo BDP-95

image.thumb.png.4973d920091d25f32ba800f4835e6946.png 

3 minutes ago, Kit Walker said:

Yes I have been through all the settings. Also restore factory default. But the crazy thing is that the Oppo can play CD,DVD and Bluray, but not SACD. The GUI says the sacd is not recognized. So the laser is fine, so something else is going on.

2 last thoughts:

1) I assume you have tried different SACD's?

2) could you try to rip this SACD again?  Just to make sure this is not a hardware problem at all.

Trying to narrow down the problem area.

15 minutes ago, Kit Walker said:

I have thought of redoing a rip, but being unclear of the effect it may have, I have left that for the last thing to do.

In principele, it will (should) not change a thing, but at least you will know if the player still can access the SACD layer. 

Kit, you said you didn't read through the entire thread earlier (obviously that's a bit much for anyone to do at the current 227 pages)... did you happen to have read that this would only work on Oppo 103-105's up to a certain firmware version? That's important to know.

Does anyone remember what the last versions of firmwares are that allow SACD ripping are before a the firmware update blocked that capability? I haven't been able to find that ATM

Also, does anyone know if a factory default would do a silent firmware update?