IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

5 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Unless you know the file headers and trailers and eliminate them from your comparison you'll get an error.

There's DeltaWave which aligns the bitstreams - it is designed for such kind of comparisons (http://deltaw.org). I tried it the other day but I seem to have run out of memory.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

9 hours ago, miguelito said:

I leave the USB thumbdrive with the Autoscript files plugged in permanently in the back. Not sure why people say to remove it. 

That was never a requirement, but more of a "best practice".

Leaving the flash drive in means it will be read repeatedly by the player, and sometimes that would result in the player using the wrong mount point. The script specifies the following:

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

The Sony players in particular seemed prone to trying to mount using something other than sda1 with a repeated read in of the script, and so it was best practice to remove the flash drive because there was no penalty in doing so. This is touched on here by Dick Darlington. 

You can rip at least 6-7 consecutive SACDs with the flash drive removed. Failure after the 6-7 rips consecutive is a real thing, and is caused either by a memory leak in the executable, or perhaps by a periodic failure of the kernel module insertion.

Whether or not it is better to leave the flash drive in or remove it to address either of those proposed reasons for the failure after 6-7 consecutive rips is not clear, but with the every limited onboard RAM these Sony units have, running 6-7 consecutive rips before the need to restart the machine seems reasonable.

The mount point issue was resolved by a slight change to the script proposed by mindset:

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sd*/AutoScript/sacd_extract_6200 /)

The above solution/explanation was in the context of the S6200/7200 compatible script, but you get the point there, and it makes perfect sense.

Last related item is altering the AutoScript on a Mac using something like TextEdit will break it, use Notepad++ on Windows, or any other editor that gets around that CR/LF issue.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

14 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Only if there's a difference.  😉

Having some trouble getting DeltaWave to work even with simple AIFF files. Will have to figure that out.

The MusicScope analysis and the listening comparisons indicate they are identical rips.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

That was never a requirement, but more of a "best practice".

Leaving the flash drive in means it will be read repeatedly by the player, and sometimes that would result in the player using the wrong mount point. The script specifies the following:

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)

The Sony players in particular seemed prone to trying to mount using something other than sda1 with a repeated read in of the script, and so it was best practice to remove the flash drive because there was no penalty in doing so. This is touched on here by Dick Darlington. 

You can rip at least 6-7 consecutive SACDs with the flash drive removed. Failure after the 6-7 rips consecutive is a real thing, and is caused either by a memory leak in the executable, or perhaps by a periodic failure of the kernel module insertion.

Whether or not it is better to leave the flash drive in or remove it to address either of those proposed reasons for the failure after 6-7 consecutive rips is not clear, but with the every limited onboard RAM these Sony units have, running 6-7 consecutive rips before the need to restart the machine seems reasonable.

The mount point issue was resolved by a slight change to the script proposed by mindset:

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sd*/AutoScript/sacd_extract_6200 /)

The above solution/explanation was in the context of the S6200/7200 compatible script, but you get the point there, and it makes perfect sense.

Last related item is altering the AutoScript on a Mac using something like TextEdit will break it, use Notepad++ on Windows, or any other editor that gets around that CR/LF issue.

Understood. What I will do is leave it attached permanently. If I get to a point where the tray doesn’t open automatically on power-on, I will detach and reattach the USB key which should remount it. 

system pics

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Understood. What I will do is leave it attached permanently. If I get to a point where the tray doesn’t open automatically on power-on, I will detach and reattach the USB key which should remount it. 

It should, or if not a hard power cycle always does and you don't even necessarily have to remove/replace the AC cord, with an S5100 you can also press/hold the Power button on the unit for 10 seconds and that will do the same thing.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Honestly, I am so glad I moved over to this SACD ripping method - simpler, and I don't have to have this harddrive to burn ISOs to off of which I would then create DSF files. I did this rather than the network method bc I did not want to connect the PS3 to the network and suddenly have it update the firmware. This is so much better. Thx to all that created and guided this...

system pics

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, ted_b said:

Raj, I don't have moderator/OP status on this thread anymore, I think it's @MikeyFresh.   He should see this soon.......thx

11 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Good evening gents,

I do not and have never had moderator/OP status on this thread.

Ted, Mike,

I believe granting moderator privileges for a given thread is well within @The Computer Audiophile's powers, so I think we just need to ask. 

26 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ted, Mike,

I believe granting moderator privileges for a given thread is well within @The Computer Audiophile's powers, so I think we just need to ask. 

I currently don't have the capability because the plugin hasn't been updated for a while. I'm working on a replacement for this functionality, .

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

all you need to rip CDs is a computer and a CD reader (internal or external) + an app (eg. XLD, for macOS)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

8 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Sure but why is it relevant?

There's no point in wasting the potentially limited life of a PS3, Oppo, or other supported device in doing something that can easily be accomplished on pretty much any computer.  The ripping process that makes use of a PS3, Oppo, etc. was only intended to deal with the use case that couldn't be accomplished with a PC.

37 minutes ago, greynolds said:

There's no point in wasting the potentially limited life of a PS3, Oppo, or other supported device in doing something that can easily be accomplished on pretty much any computer.  The ripping process that makes use of a PS3, Oppo, etc. was only intended to deal with the use case that couldn't be accomplished with a PC.

Agree 1000%.  Joel (and others reading this) need to rip their blurays and cds on an internal or USB-connected external bd drive, but don't waste the wear and tear on the customized PS3 or Oppo/Sony.

2 hours ago, greynolds said:

Duh.  That process (using "PS3, Oppo, or other supported device") cannot rip CDs.  So, it is not an alternative but an obvious necessity.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile