IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1.2.2018 at 8:27 AM, Vule said:

Hi All,

Has anyone tried yet dcs NB with Ayre QX-5/20 via AES or SPDIF?

Any thoughts regarding SQ improvement?

What should be the benefit? The QX-5 Twenty includes a first class rendering unit and if there may be a sonic advantage by using a dCS NB with the needed external cabling, it would be negligible and not worth the 4k $, IMHO. 

2 hours ago, #Yoda# said:

first class rendering unit

Not sure where you got this information...  It is not entirely correct.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

21 hours ago, barrows said:

According to the available reviews and user experience, the view about overall performance of the QX-5 Twenty is consistently very positive and the ethernet streaming unit is an essential part of this product.

OK, considering Charleys general concerns about radio waves and the consistent omission of integrated support of wireless connections, what is not "entirely correct" in my post beside semantic details?

On 3/20/2018 at 9:41 PM, barrows said:

What a strange thing to say without any back up.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

44 minutes ago, intermediatic said:

What a strange thing to say without any back up.

Ayre are using a network module from ConversDigital, as mentioned in Stereophile's review.

http://www.conversdigital.com/kor/product/product01.php

I can't/won't speak for barrows but I GUESS he is hinting that it's not the best networking solution out there, even though I'm very sure Ayre have implemented it in the best way that is possible.

Expect to see much better ethernet-to-I2S cards coming (off the shelf and/or DIY) as ethernet input DACs become more popular.

Ok, that’s a lot more informative, thanks.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

For any owners out there, I have been in contact with Ayre and Logitech and the both KX-5 and QX-5 are updated in the Logitech Harmony database. Since we use our Ayre stack in the living room, we like to use the Harmony Elite system to control it, the TV, Oppo UDP-205, cable box, and so on. With the update, you can go directly to an input without having to hit up and down buttons endlessly. Perhaps a small thing, but an important one.

On another note that I hope is more interesting, having upgraded from an Ayre Codex and Ayre K5xe to a KX-5 and QX-5 (it's coming this week), I've gone from nowhere near enough inputs (two balanced into the KX-5 and one Toslink into the Codex) to an absolutely crazy amount of inputs, both digital and analog. There have got to be some interesting things people are connecting to these units. I guess my AppleTV (via HDMI de-embedder), Roku, cable box, and UDP-205 will all get their digital inputs, and of course my turntable and (my never used) FM Tuner (which just looks cool more than anything else) but I wonder what other mad things I could hook to this system. I've long since abandoned having a Mac Mini directly in the mix since a Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry Digi+ handily beat that (which in turn was beat by the UDP-205, and in the end the QX-5).     

38 minutes ago, intermediatic said:

For any owners out there, I have been in contact with Ayre and Logitech and the both KX-5 and QX-5 are updated in the Logitech Harmony database. Since we use our Ayre stack in the living room, we like to use the Harmony Elite system to control it, the TV, Oppo UDP-205, cable box, and so on. With the update, you can go directly to an input without having to hit up and down buttons endlessly. Perhaps a small thing, but an important one.

On another note that I hope is more interesting, having upgraded from an Ayre Codex and Ayre K5xe to a KX-5 and QX-5 (it's coming this week), I've gone from nowhere near enough inputs (two balanced into the KX-5 and one Toslink into the Codex) to an absolutely crazy amount of inputs, both digital and analog. There have got to be some interesting things people are connecting to these units. I guess my AppleTV (via HDMI de-embedder), Roku, cable box, and UDP-205 will all get their digital inputs, and of course my turntable and (my never used) FM Tuner (which just looks cool more than anything else) but I wonder what other mad things I could hook to this system. I've long since abandoned having a Mac Mini directly in the mix since a Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry Digi+ handily beat that (which in turn was beat by the UDP-205, and in the end the QX-5).     

I suggest connecting a Tascam DA-3000 to the KX-5's tape output and one of the balanced inputs.  Use the Tascam to record FM broadcasts and digitize vinyl.

I would also add that Ayre is great about offering their customers upgrades (to existing products) when they develop something new.  I would not be surprised if they offer an improved Ethernet interface for upgrade at some point in the future.  Ayre's upgrades are fairly priced when they offer them as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

I would also add that Ayre is great about offering their customers upgrades (to existing products) when they develop something new.  I would not be surprised if they offer an improved Ethernet interface for upgrade at some point in the future.  Ayre's upgrades are fairly priced when they offer them as well.

I'm quite sure we can expect some more surprises from Ayre like the mid-range priced 8-series.

In expectation of his nearby pass away, it seems as he has initiated some important advancements for his company to be prepared for the expected challenges in the high-end audio market in the next years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 10:04 PM, intermediatic said:

Well,  I've got my gorgeous QX-5, it's burned in for a week and a half and it's sounding great. Thoughtful to put in the three myrtle blocks! 

I've got an all-Ayre (KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 all Twenties plus a P-5Xe for my Clearaudio Performance DC) and Vandersteen 5A (not original owner, can't upgrade) stack now, very much the Audio Connection way and that's ok by me. These units are made for each other

I don't know what happened today, but I played it in the morning and then went to return the 7' Audioquest Aspens that I had borrowed from Johnny R and picked up the 8' Aspens that I had ordered. After installing the Aspens, the system sounded a bit better. You'd think the cables would not yet have built up a proper dielectric charge… Some thoughts…

When I swapped out the cable, I also moved the KX-5 from the top of the console they were in (a vintage 1960s Swedish wooden thing) to the bottom. Maybe it's a better base? 

I tipped the myrtle blocks on their shortest side, they were on the slightly bigger one.

Light corrosion on the earlier Aspens?

8' sounds better than 7'

Who the heck knows. Anyway, it's a great system that's going to last me many years. Heck, after this I can't afford to upgrade! 

I have a similar system but with the AX-5. It always sounds good, but I noticed that little things make a big difference. For example, I can hear the difference when my Plasma TV is on the same outlet bank as my amp, so I moved it to a separate conditioning unit. I can hear significant changes in tonal balance between three different ethernet cables. (The Transparent Audio Performance Ethernet won out). There is a massive difference between my PC via USB and by ethernet into QX-5, with even junk ethernet cable beating out an $800 audiophile USB. 

With the cables you could feel the difference in the bass. A lot of things that you would suspect would fall in possible placebo range of difference end up being quite important. Again, it always sounds good, but you can definitely fine tune it. Especially with cables, and wine!

An all 5 series system is damn formidable. Congrats and have fun!

Roon/Jriver 22 -> Ayre QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre AX-5 Twenty -> B&W N802D (Transparent Cables)

• 1 month later...

A firmware update rolled tonight, but what’s in it?

Sorry about that!  We were pushing hard to have the testing done before the weekend, I think we didn't have time to get the notes in.  

A very simple update that we've had requests for to add .dff support for DSD playback.   Nothing else beyond that at this time, but we're always working hard to continue to improve the interface. 

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.