IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

On 6/8/2018 at 11:20 PM, Ryan Berry said:

Sorry about that!  We were pushing hard to have the testing done before the weekend, I think we didn't have time to get the notes in.  

A very simple update that we've had requests for to add .dff support for DSD playback.   Nothing else beyond that at this time, but we're always working hard to continue to improve the interface. 

I'm not seeing any new firmware updates, still see version H from March 13.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Hi Axiom,

The main revision of the QX-5 will not have changed (still H).  The network firmware revision should have updated to 03.05.15 and can be seen in the setup menu.  If yours hasn't updated, simply have the QX-5 connected to your Ethernet network so that it can look online for the new file.  The QX-5 looks for new revisions every time it is turned "on" out of sleep mode.  If it's still not updating, give us a call and I'm sure we can get it set.

-Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:26 AM, Vule said:

Hi Ryan,

Probably there are no so many demands for that but...but enabling AES/EBU DUAL MODE on QX-5 would be much appreciated from some users like me. Of course it would require an upgrade. Any thought about it?

I'll look into it.  On first glance, I think there's some hardware limitations on the current board for this due to all the isolation work we put into the inputs, but I'll talk with Ariel when he's back on the 9th to see if he has any thoughts on if we can work around them or draft them into a new board.

Yours would be the first request I've heard for the feature, but it sounds interesting and I'd like to at least look more into it.  Thanks for the idea!

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

Hi Vule,

I spoke with the R&D department about this possibility and are unfortunately limited by the hardware inside of the unit.  While our DAC could certainly handle it, there's some other components that cannot without having twice as many of them, and we simply didn't plan on that when it was designed.  Retro-fitting such a thing into the circuit really wouldn't be a very realistic option either without replacing the entire board.  

I can't say that it'll never be a possibility...we never say never at Ayre!  But at the moment, it wasn't going to be an easy thing to do as I was hoping it may have been.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Ryan Berry, @vortecjr

I'm hoping to get some help on why I am having so much trouble reestablishing a USB connection between my ultraRendu & my QX5-Twenty. It seems that whenever I have to restart my ultraRendu I have to go through all sorts of machinations in order to get these two pieces to talk to each other. This has become extremely frustrating as there seems to be no consistent pattern to solving the problem. My QB-9DSD always required me to cycle the power off and on to fix this kind of issue, but it always worked. Yesterday, with the QX-5,  I tried all of the usual tricks involving startup/turn-on order, power cycling which have worked in the past, however this time to no avail. At one point I was able to see the QX-5 under DAC Diagnostics on the ultraRendu but there still was no connection between mpd and the QX-5. It seemed like the ultraRendu could "see" the QX-5 but not the reverse. Finally, against all past experience, I rebooted the ultraRendu with the QX-5 on and this reestablished the USB connection allowing me to once again play music. I fear that one day I will not be able to get these two pieces to work together at all. I have had the QX-5 for nearly a year and this issue has gotten progressively worse (QX-5 or uR firmware updates?), going from no issue at all to now being ready to pull my hair out. Yesterday all I did was power down the ultraRendu to disconnect it from the system and then later on reconnect & restart it, no updates or other changes were involved.

Is there something obvious that I am missing here? Is there a known, reliable procedure to establishing a USB connection between a renderer/streamer and the QX-5? I am not ruling out that this issue lies at the ultraRendu end or that these two pieces of gear just aren't that compatible (for whatever reason). Whatever the cause of the problem, I would like to find a solution if possible. Any help would be appreciated. I would also be interested to hear if anyone else has encountered similar issues.

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

3 minutes ago, thyname said:

Hey Bob, You are probably aware that QX-5 has a network bridge built in. Roon Ready and UPnP and DLNA capable to use with many apps.

Are you using ultraRendu with it instead of built in Network Bridge because it sounds better to you? 

I find my QX-5 sounds better using an ultraRendu at the USB input.than using it’s Ethernet input..

Bob, I have none of the problems you are experiencing. I normally leave all my gear on 24/7 but when I’m experimenting with components or cables I don’t have to follow any specific power-on sequence.

I recently did lots of AB comparisons with an UpTone LPS-1.2 powering the uR. This meant turning the uRendu off and on numerous times. Never once did I have any issues.

I use Roon now and previously Squeezelite. I think I might have used MPD and I did try UPnP. and Shairport. All work fine with the QX-5. Have you tried other protocols? Perhaps it’s something unrelated to the two devices such as a network issue? You could try emailing Jesus at Sonore and see if he has any ideas. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

1 hour ago, Ultrarunner said:

I find my QX-5 sounds better using an ultraRendu at the USB input.than using it’s Ethernet input..

‘Have you tried the new firmware and network update?

Latest general firmware version is “K”.

Bridge firmware version is 03.06.40

4 hours ago, thyname said:

Hey Bob, You are probably aware that QX-5 has a network bridge built in. Roon Ready and UPnP and DLNA capable to use with many apps.

Are you using ultraRendu with it instead of built in Network Bridge because it sounds better to you? 

@thyname Thanks for you response. My QX-5 does not have the network module, I didn't feel that it was worth the added cost at the present time. I've been very happy with using the ultraRendu and mpd, extremely happy with the sound quality of this combination.

@Ultrarunner Thank you for sharing your experience with this combination, I also think that the ultraRendu and QX-5 sound great together. Your suggestion to look into a network issue is a good one. I hadn't really considered this as once everything is working I never have any problems, only after rebooting the uR do I have any issues reconnecting to the QX-5. I'll look into this.

10 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I updated both and had a listen. As @Ryan Berry and others have stated, an optimized chain feeding the USB input still sounds significantly better than the Ethernet input.

Some day...

‘Very interesting! Never tried any streamer via USB to my QX-5 Twenty. Only via its built in network card.

That will change now, as I have an Innuos ZEN MK3 on order. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. It’s supposed to have highly optimized USB output. Will see...