IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

Cool story.  I only knew of your background going back to Avalon.  I didn't realize you started out with Theta. Not surprised as I liked their great a lot and I loved Avalon (couldn't afford it). I used to listen to their stuff when I had work in Pasadena as a great store down Colorado Ave I think it was. That was in the early 90's so my memory isn't the best. lol.

As for wood, I greatly appreciate that info. I would have asked Johnny to make the measurement for me as I realize how important that is.  I took up woodworking about 7 years ago, after the Transverse Myelitis/MS.  I have been blessed to have some great instructors including Mike Peckovich who's the art director at Fine Woodworking magazine.  I have a full shop with a SawStop cabinet table saw etc...  I have a nice V groove router bit that I may use.  I'll just ask my wood guys if they can get the Myrtle wood and if not, I have plenty of the Honduras Mahogany in the shop.  I also have a close friend who is always in the shop when I'm using power tools as safety is always first and foremost! 

Thanks so much for sharing.  I promise you won't find MY blocks anywhere, but in MY system.  First though, I"m designing and building a new headphone stand for my new ZMF Ori's (with Bocote cups) that are stunning in sound as well as looks, lol.  

I have heard your ref gear with and without your blocks and have heard the difference.  Very subtle, but very noticeable all around.  

Here are pics of a knife rack I did, a Japanese Kimiko toped box and a Sidney Barnsley, hayrake table and matching chairs I made out of quarter sawn  white oak.  I promise you that I won't lose any digits :)....I do thank you for mentioning that though as way too many folks try to do intricate work with wood and injure themselves.  I've seen it with many older craftsmen who rush. No such thing as too careful when using power equipment.

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

7 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Cool story.  I only knew of your background going back to Avalon.  I didn't realize you started out with Theta. Not surprised as I liked their great a lot and I loved Avalon (couldn't afford it). I used to listen to their stuff when I had work in Pasadena as a great store down Colorado Ave I think it was. That was in the early 90's so my memory isn't the best. lol.

As for wood, I greatly appreciate that info. I would have asked Johnny to make the measurement for me as I realize how important that is.  I took up woodworking about 7 years ago, after the Transverse Myelitis/MS.  I have been blessed to have some great instructors including Mike Peckovich who's the art director at Fine Woodworking magazine.  I have a full shop with a SawStop cabinet table saw etc...  I have a nice V groove router bit that I may use.  I'll just ask my wood guys if they can get the Myrtle wood and if not, I have plenty of the Honduras Mahogany in the shop.  I also have a close friend who is always in the shop when I'm using power tools as safety is always first and foremost! 

Thanks so much for sharing.  I promise you won't find MY blocks anywhere, but in MY system.  First though, I"m designing and building a new headphone stand for my new ZMF Ori's (with Bocote cups) that are stunning in sound as well as looks, lol.  

I have heard your ref gear with and without your blocks and have heard the difference.  Very subtle, but very noticeable all around.  

Hi CT,

Just to clarify I never worked at Theta. In the late '90s when home theater was getting big, they realized they could make a lot of money with power amps, as they already had the world's best sounding surround-sound processor. All HT customers like to get all of the equipment from one manufacturer, so Theta had a readyy-made market. They just didn't have someone who could design it for them. They were planning to use James Bongiorno and run an ad "What does Theta know about building power amps? Nothing - that's why we hired a legend."

The problem was he was a year behind schedule, 50% over the target budget, and they weren't happy with the sound of the prototype. I told them I could do the job on budget and deliver a prototype in 90 days. I did it, they loved the sound, but it took them about 9 months to release it. When they did it was a hit, receiving rave reviews an spawning a whole series of amps based on that circuit.

Have fun building the wood blocks. Don't forget to finish them as that also affects the sound quality. I like plain tung oil.

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

7 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Here are pics of a knife rack I did, a Japanese Kimiko toped box and a Sidney Barnsley, hayrake table and matching chairs I made out of quarter sawn  white oak.  I promise you that I won't lose any digits :)....I do thank you for mentioning that though as way too many folks try to do intricate work with wood and injure themselves.  I've seen it with many older craftsmen who rush. No such thing as too careful when using power equipment.

WOW! Gorgeous work. I used to make lots of things out of wood, but never any "fine woodworking" like that. The closest was Avalon, but that was all just veneer. Chairs are one of the hardest things, so hats off to you!

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

On 8/13/2017 at 5:46 PM, Charles Hansen said:

... The problem with optical ethernet is that the input device is about 20x more expensive for optical than electrical (the last time I checked), plus it draws a considerable amount of power and would require a dedicated regulator and larger power transformers. That means adding a fairly expensive input on an already-crowded rear panel that perhaps one person in a thousand would use in today's world.

Optical ethernet uses an SGMII input and if there is a high speed input on an FPGA, the SFP cage can be hung directly off the LVDS input ... assuming there is room on the FPGA for the logic modules. The SFP cage can accept either a copper or fiber input module. Yes they are more expensive but really cheap on ebay and older 1Gbe modules aren't that bad new.

Actually they draw less power than copper Ethernet typically.

I use the Clearfog Base as an NAA -- direct fiber in and USB out and its ~100 or so.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

That amp is the BEST headphone amp that I've EVER heard and I've heard a ton.  I just got a new/used pair of ZMF Ori's.  I'm having a balanced pono cable made by Audio Art as I've heard great things about them and I like the owner.  I have been listening to the QX5 using the basic 1/4" socket and it's CRAZY good.  I have had and used Stax since the mid 80's (Lambda Pro's), but they don't have bass.  I have had the 4's in the house as well as the hifi man's. Never the Abyss.

The ZMF on my bedroom Linn system (don't make fun as it's just for the TV and background Tidal streaming in the morning.  I love these as the tone beats all the headphones I've auditioned (we have a thread going on Headfi.org on headphones.  My buddy Matt has done the auditioning, however we are in constant contact and I have done a lot of auditioning also.  The top can for tone is ZMF's less expensive Blackwoods, but the Ori is VERY close and it has a larger soundstage, very dynamic and allows you to hear the micro and macro detail of the music.  When properly tuned (I'm using the lambskin ear pads, but am getting the cowhide ones as the bass is better), it's so neutral and coherent. The bass is very tight on organ music. I also enjoy Bella Fleck stuff and it is awesome and very well presented.  No extra energy in the low end like on so many can's and home systems.  Tina Gua's cello, on the Joe Bonamassa live at Carnegie Hall (we were there for the first night of taping) was spot on. You could hear the tone and energy that she plays with (I strongly recommend seeing her if you can.  Look at Youtube).  Joe's voice had that signature tone that he's known for.  The guitar work is typical Joe and during the very quiet solo's, it presented the dynamics of being there (saw him Aug 8th, so it's fresh in my mind).  

The Cavelli amp and the Woo amps (all of them) can't capture what the Ayre has for me.  I auditioned all the Woo amps as well as the Cavelli (their top one and I forget the name, sorry) with various cans from the HIFIMAN and Audeze and the Mr Speakers Ether C and wasn't blown away.  I did hear the Abyss for about 20 minutes, but didn't like them for comfort reasons.  I don't like Mr Speakers either, but they are the best looking and most comfortable by far.  The Senn 800 mk 2 which I've owned don't have enough bass are are too bright for my tastes.  The tonal quality that everyone loves are off as they lack the foundation of the music as they aren't great in the sub bass regions.  I haven't hear them on the Ayre, but I'd surmise that they are going to age their best with them. 

I know that after the engineers got the DAC design down, they were told to go all out on the headphone amp and make it as good as they could.  I don't know what budget they were given, but I was told they were so excited to be able to take a great headphone amp design and beef it up and make it world class.  To MY ears and listening tastes, they'd accomplished that goal.  Hope that helps a bit.  I can promise you that you need to go audition it with your headphones if you can.  

1 hour ago, Gyp48 said:

Apologize for going in a totally different direction here.  Can anyone tell me if the headphone amp section of the QX-5 will adequately drive more demanding headphones, e.g. the Abyss and LCD 4?  Thanks in advance any help.

Hi Gyp,

It looks like CT was able to answer the subjective part. From a technical standpoint, he is correct that we went all out on the headphone amp. It has both balanced and single-ended outputs, uses a class A Diamond stage with a very low output impedance for good current delivery, yet also enough voltage swing to drive insensitive and/or high impedance studio cans. I've often joked that it would likely be a good way to drive some full-range horn loudspeakers.  :) (Probably not the best way, but it would be an interesting test!) There is a switch on the front panel that selects between the line outs and the headphone outs.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention zero feedback, just like everything Ayre makes. Also true DC coupled - no servos or anything.

Charles Hansen

Thanks CT and Charles for the great info.  I have been following forums and reviews for many months now, and the QX-5 seems to be exactly what I am looking for.  State of the art DAC, great streamer with Roon endpoint being a major plus, and now I now it has a very strong headphone amp as well.  I believed it is exactly what I have been looking for.

While this newbie to digital audio has your attention, can you comment on the merits of the Music Vault line of servers for the QX-5?

Thanks so much!

14 minutes ago, Gyp48 said:

Thanks CT and Charles for the great info.  I have been following forums and reviews for many months now, and the QX-5 seems to be exactly what I am looking for.  State of the art DAC, great streamer with Roon endpoint being a major plus, and now I now it has a very strong headphone amp as well.  I believed it is exactly what I have been looking for.

While this newbie to digital audio has your attention, can you comment on the merits of the Music Vault line of servers for the QX-5?

Thanks so much!

Hi Gyp,

Thanks for the kind words. There is so much more versatility with the QX-5 than just a "digital to analog converter" that we chose to call it a digital hub. For people with headphones, it is the only component you need. It can stream music from Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, and Spotify. It can play back any music files on your network, whether on a NAS or another computer. You can plug a thumb drive into the back with music files. (Not a USB hard drive yet - the files structure is more complex.) Ten inputs digital inputs, a volume control that maintains 24 bits of resolution down to -60dB, Roon ready, streaming, and a top-of-the line headphone amp means it is about the source component needed for a digital system.

As far as servers, the only ones I have experience with are the Melcos. I have heard a lot of good things about Small Green Computers, and there should be another company making an announcement at the upcoming CEDIA. Sorry I can't be of more help - it is a field that is changing so quickly that the forums are probably the best place to get information - I sure can't keep up with everything. :)

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Gyp, do you own one of Neil's servers already? If you want to contact me off line feel free at [email protected].  I have one friend who is using the Diamond that is souped up (that's just for more speed, but doesn't affect the sound). I've heard Neil's gear many times.  

My friend is getting a SGMII soon and I too may get it in, however I've found that computer based audio isn't as good as say the Melco and Aurender devices. That's why I too am looking forward to see which company Charles is talking about and what the price range is. I would love to change out my Mac Mini as I've stated before as I'm not a techie and I am scared to make changes or hook it up to the internet. 

Charles, I notice the 'not yet' portion of your post on the USB drives.  Too bad you can't also make it a Roon core as you do that, lol.  Wouldn't that help a great deal IRT timing issues?  If so, I assume that a thumb drive would sound best?  Does the remote app show what's on the drive?  I assume so, but again, am just learning. Thanks

CT, no I don't own a Music Vault.  My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is Neil can provide a server with Roon Core?  If that's the case, and having the QX-5 as an endpoint, I'd be set...correct?  Yep, I'm a babe in the woods with this stuff, but I am wanting to move up to higher end digital audio, largely streaming Tidal and playing purchased Hi-Res files and ripped CDs.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Optical ethernet uses an SGMII input and if there is a high speed input on an FPGA, the SFP cage can be hung directly off the LVDS input ... assuming there is room on the FPGA for the logic modules. The SFP cage can accept either a copper or fiber input module. Yes they are more expensive but really cheap on ebay and older 1Gbe modules aren't that bad new.

Actually they draw less power than copper Ethernet typically.

I use the Clearfog Base as an NAA -- direct fiber in and USB out and its ~100 or so.

Hi Jabbr,

Thanks for the great information. I've been looking at optical Ethernet for a long time (for obvious reasons) but had no idea that there was much demand for that from customers. Linn and Naim have made Ethernet more or less the standard in Europe, but the rest of the world has pretty much standardized on asynchronous USB for a long time. I didn't want to release a DAC until we could include Ethernet as in the long term I think it will be a more flexible solution for most situations, but Ayre doesn't have the capabilities to develop a Linux-based Ethernet system in-house. The first thrird-party to offer a solution that made sense to us was ConversDigital and is distributed in the US by the ESS distributor.

I still think that USB is the ideal solution for adding high quality music playback to the computer where you do your work. Just plug in a Codex and a pair of headphones or desktop speakers. Your control point is at your fingertips and there is no need for anything more complex or flexible. Streaming is built into the computer, plus you can watch DVDs and streamed movies with killer sound. But Ethernet can do multi-room and whole house, plus make for a cleaner install in the listening room - just don't use Wi-Fi for the audio data or the sound quality will degrade.

Ayre will keep looking at the optical Ethernet and see how to migrate to that in the future.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

2 minutes ago, Gyp48 said:

CT, no I don't own a Music Vault.  My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is Neil can provide a server with Roon Core?  If that's the case, and having the QX-5 as an endpoint, I'd be set...correct?  Yep, I'm a babe in the woods with this stuff, but I am wanting to move up to higher end digital audio, largely streaming Tidal and playing purchased Hi-Res files and ripped CDs.

gyp, yes Neil can do anything you want, however if it's just straight up sound quality, I personally would say away from the computer based servers as I mentioned.  I was told by someone who has a Melco that yes you can put the Roon core server on the network and use it with the Melco.  I am not sure how to do that, but he said it was easy and even put a graphic on the post.  I forget which site that was.  

There is a thread on Audiogon about the best dac for redbook CD.  Look it up. It's been going for a couple of years or more and is too many pages to count.  We are discussing and auditioning servers and so far not one has bested the Aurender N10.  Matt hasn't auditioned the SGMII yet, but will soon and he's still trying to get a Melco N1ZH in the house.  I have been in touch with Alan Ainsley of Melco, but he's a designer or something at Melco.  I don't know anyone at the US distributor, so I haven't tried to reach out and I don't know of any dealers who even have this unit in the mk 2 in the store.  I have a feeling it will give the N10 a major run for it's money.  I really like the less expensive one better than the Aurender N100.  I do like the Aurender interface and support much more though.  Melco really needs to work on their app.  

10 minutes ago, Gyp48 said:

Thanks Charles,

To ensure I understand correctly:  With the QX-5 being a Roon endpoint I would be able to use Roon with a Melco so long as I had Roon Core on a machine somewhere on my network?  Thanks for helping the beginner here.

Sorry Gyp, the Melco servers don't work with Roon. You can use almost any UPnP app, and apparently the best one for Melco is one recommended in a recent Hi-Fi News, and Melco owners get a 20% discount $40 instead of $50 but I can't remember the name of it. Bubble UPnP is free but the version I saw was only good for tablets (not smart-phones) as you ideally want a larger screen to look at two columns of information while choosing songs. I just went to the Melco website and they are updating their products too frequently for me to keep track of. First was the in version 3.0 you could just plug a USB CD-ROM drive in the back and rip directly to the Melco and it would even add meta-data. Now it looks like there are ways  to use the Melco with streaming services (I'm unsure if that is only the 2nd generation units.)

You do need a Roon Core somewhere on your network to use Roon. It is a powerful application and requires a 64-bit OS, like Win 7 or later, OS-X after 10.4 (very old!),  or 64-bit Linux - a few NAS drives are like this with Roon Core already built in.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

7 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

I was told by someone who has a Melco that yes you can put the Roon core server on the network and use it with the Melco.  I am not sure how to do that, but he said it was easy and even put a graphic on the post.  I forget which site that was.

There ya' go - I told you it was hard for me to keep up with everything! It appears that you can use Roon with the Melco. I'm not sure if this is a Roon update or a Melco update or both. I would check out the Roon forums and do a search. For Melco the US importer is The Sound Organization, and they have outstanding support. They have a lot of lines and the Melco expert lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, David Carr.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Thanks for sharing that.  I will reach out to a network guy I'm friendly with who posts on these forums.  He part of that group who started the optical ethernet isolation and has been auditioning various switches, converter units and LPS's.  He may know how it can be done.  I only saw posts one thread about a year ago that said that they had successfully integrated Roon core while using the Melco server.  They don't speak the same language so I never thought it could be done.  I'm sure if you search you will find it.

Ok, I just check out the Roon forums.  You can't properly integrate the two for the reason's that Charles shared which is what Alan from Melco told me a couple of years ago.  They don't speak the same language..   The person that got them to 'work together', just pointed the NAS running Roon to the Melco, but kept the files on the NAS, so the Melco wasn't even in the equation for the most part.  The sound quality was not close to the Melco (surprise).

The bottom line is Roon is fun and a great program.  Melco and Aurender servers sound so much better than using a computer based server (in the ears of many of us) that is running Roon.  Right now you can't have it both ways, but there are programs to run Melco now that are outstanding and so much better than they used to be and are getting better daily. Melco had been working on their own dedicated  app, but I need to reach out to see what's up with that.  The Aurender app is outstanding and they are updating it all the time. It looks great and is easy to use.  So many folks are now streaming Tidal 80% of the time and want to go with the best sound quality.

I spoke with someone last week who uses Roon with HQ Player on a hand built Windows computer and raved about how it was the best server he's ever heard etc....  We spoke offline and I asked him his ref system to get an idea of where he's coming from.  I then asked if he ever had the Melco or Aurender in to audition or even if he's heard either piece in a store.  The answer was no. I've heard a few folks recently say the same thing about their computer based systems running Roon/HQ Player but again, none have heard the alternative.  One guy is in CT and I want to get down to hear his system to hear for myself.  

As I said, my close friend, Matt has had nearly all the DAC's on the market in the 10k up range and done a shoot out.  He hasn't had the QX5 in yet and I haven't been able to get down there to listen on mine with him, but he had yet to hear a computer based server that comes close to his Aurender N10.  I like the Melco lower unit over the N100 and Melco has new and better sounding servers than the one I listened to.  

On 18-8-2017 at 4:17 AM, Charles Hansen said:

Also there is a wonderful website run by a gentleman in Switzerland (I believe) that is an invaluable source of information on almost everything related to computer audio:  http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Hi mr. Hansen,

Actually, I'm quite sure the gentleman responsible for The Well Tempered Computer is from The Netherlands. Not that it matters much! What matters is that his site is indeed a treasure trove which helped me a lot to get to grips with computer audio, as well as these forums of course. I'm still learning a lot! Thats why I think it's great to see you contributing to Computeraudiophile again, mr. Hansen. Thanks!

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

The QX-5 Tenty now comes in different flavours. A smart move I think.

From Ayre's newsletter:

Ayre QX-5 Twenty for $6,950??

Been thinking about a QX-5 Twenty, but the $8,950 is just a little more than you want to spend?

Now you can custom order the QX-5 Twenty to perfectly fit the needs of your system and save money! We now have four options for you to choose from.

Option

Inputs

US Retail

QX-5 Base

S/PDIF + AES/EBU

$6,950

QX-5 USB

USB + S/PDIF + AES/EBU

$7,650

QX-5 Net

Ethernet + S/PDIF + AES/EBU

$8,250

QX-5 Full

Ethernet + USB + S/PDIF + AES/EBU

$8,950

All of these options include the ability to use the QX-5 as an 8 input digital preamp, with our own Patent-pending asynchronous S/PDF receiver that eliminates all jitter created by the S/PDIF format.  The QX-5's cutting edge digital volume control maintains 24 bits of resolution all the way down to -60db.  Our state-of-the-art Diamond output based Headphone amplifier will drive any headphones and has both balanced and single-ended connections easily accessible on the front panel.

The USB version includes the Award-winning Streamlength™ asynchronous control that provides the best sounding USB input available.

The Net version is Roon Ready and has the ability to stream via Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, and Spotify Connect.

If you want to add options later, no problem.

Option

US Retail

+ USB and Ethernet

$2,125

+ Ethernet

$1,425

+ USB

$   825

It is great that Ayre is offering these options!  I get it that the USB input is probably a daughter board to the ("standard") SPDIF/AES input board, but when I first saw the QX-5 I was wishing for a USB only version (like the QB-9).  Maybe there would not be enough demand to justify developing a single USB input PCB though...  I always suspect input switching of digital signals is a potential point of loss and prefer KISS, I loved the QB-9's elegant approach, but I also realized Ayre lost sales because of its single input.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

57 minutes ago, barrows said:

It is great that Ayre is offering these options!  I get it that the USB input is probably a daughter board to the ("standard") SPDIF/AES input board, but when I first saw the QX-5 I was wishing for a USB only version (like the QB-9).  Maybe there would not be enough demand to justify developing a single USB input PCB though...  I always suspect input switching of digital signals is a potential point of loss and prefer KISS, I loved the QB-9's elegant approach, but I also realized Ayre lost sales because of its single input.

This is an interesting development from Ayre (and I wonder if this says anything about the 8 series products that were announced in May but haven't been launched). I agree the KISS QB-9 is a good approach - still enjoying mine, it sounds fantastic. The only downside has been that I have to keep the PC close to my integrated amp. In my case, 1 m each USB and interconnect.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

5 hours ago, bluebeat said:

Now you can custom order the QX-5 Twenty to perfectly fit the needs of your system and save money! We now have four options for you to choose from.

All of these options include the ability to use the QX-5 as an 8 input digital preamp

Sorry, there is a typo in the press release here. The base model has 8 inputs. Each of the computer based inputs obviously adds another input, for a maximum of 10 inputs.

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Actually the way that the digital input switching is handled results in zero loss of audio quality. Ayre is extremely careful about things like that. The only reason that the base version includes the S/PDIF (and variant) inputs is simply the way the PCB is laid out. All of those inputs require a ton of panel space, and the rest of the circuitry needs that size of a PCB. The original reason to make the Ethernet and USB inputs as separate daughterboards was simply the same reason that we did on the QB-9 - we could see the potential of improvements on the horizon and didn't want to have to replace the entire digital PCB to upgrade one small part.

In the case of the QB-9, when we introduced it we knew that 192/24 was just a matter of time. About a year later it arrived and we were able to upgrade for a reasonable price. It just took us a while to realize that we could sell the QX-5 in different configurations.

29 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

This is an interesting development from Ayre (and I wonder if this says anything about the 8 series products that were announced in May but haven't been launched). I agree the KISS QB-9 is a good approach - still enjoying mine, it sounds fantastic. The only downside has been that I have to keep the PC close to my integrated amp. In my case, 1 m each USB and interconnect.

That is one of the disadvantages of USB - the computer needs to be near the listening system. On the other hand with Ethernet, you need 3 separate small computers to make it work. One is built into the Ethernet input, one is built into (say) a NAS drive, and the third is built into your smartphone or tablet or very tiny laptop near your listening postion. You can combine the storage and the control point into one computer, but then the main advantage over USB is that the computer can be further away from the DAC (but obviously still needs to be accessible from your listening position.

I'm unsure as to which will give better sound quality. I think it depends on the quality of all of the components connected. The best sound is to not use computers - but then it's not computer audio and you need to use physical discs for everything. Otherwise you get into the land of USB regenerators and filters, or optically-isolated Ethernet routers, and things like that. All part of the fun, I suppose.

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

52 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

... I wonder if this says anything about the 8 series products that were announced in May but haven't been launched ...

It doesn't mean the 8 series aren't coming, if that's what you're saying. They were announced to hit the market this fall, and that may still happen. In fact, the Ayre importer in The Netherlands told me they might be showing the EX-8 (as the integrated amp + streaming dac is now named) on an audio show in a fortnight. However, I have a hunch that the 8 series products will - in one way or the other - share this more modular approach. We'll have to wait and see...