IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

I run Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL and FTLX1471BCV.  My A/V equipment seem to like the BCV better and the audio only, switches, router, etc like the BCL fine.

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Monitor Audio Silver 100 x4 Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub.

On 7/11/2023 at 5:24 PM, audiom3 said:

Well thats a tough question to answer. But for me, yes. But I bought 1471 modules instead of the over-priced 1475s. You can find 1471s used But be sure you buy from an IT company with tons of feedback if you go the used route. 

Also, in order to get 10G transceivers to work, there are some tricks involved. With a Lumin streamer, they won't work at all either. So I use a 1G transceiver in it with a 1471 on the sending end (switch).

Do you know precisely which Finisar Sonore uses/sells? Can’t make it out on their site.

Thanks!

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre Acoutics AX-5 Twenty -> Bowers and Wilkins 802D3 Loudspeakers | Transparent Balanced Reference XL (Gen 5) - Transparent Power Isolator Reference | Transparent Reference Powercords (Gen 5)| Transparent Reference Speaker Cable (MM2)| Transparent Ethernet/USB| Vicoustics] HD6xx/Grado PS1000s

7 minutes ago, GrubTheHedgehog said:

Do you know precisely which Finisar Sonore uses/sells? Can’t make it out on their site.

Thanks!

I would have to look again but last I saw it was the 1475 modules. Same as AfterDark sells (you can get more info from their website). I could be wrong though. It was 2+ years ago. 

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Monitor Audio Silver 100 x4 Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub.

• 1 month later...

Would someone please confirm that when using the USB input, playing a DSD64 file, that the display reads DSD1X whether you're using DOP or Native playback? There is no way to know which you are using based on the display.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

19 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Would someone please confirm that when using the USB input, playing a DSD64 file, that the display reads DSD1X whether you're using DOP or Native playback? There is no way to know which you are using based on the display.

You setup DOP or Native at your stream player configuration. I use Aurender N10 with QX5, so i could setup at Aurender to give DOP or Native signal to QX5.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been having an issue and I'm not sure if it's my server (Intel NUC i10 w/16GB RAM) or the QX-5.  I'm using a Lumin U2 streamer feeding my QX-5 via USB.  I seriously doubt it's the Lumin causing the issue though.  I can play anywhere from 5(?) to 50(?) songs via Roon and all of a sudden, I'll get very loud static over the music.  The only way to fix it is to toggle off O/S and then toggle it back on again.  I O/S to 705.6, 768 and 8x DSD. 

18 hours ago, audiom3 said:

I've been having an issue and I'm not sure if it's my server (Intel NUC i10 w/16GB RAM) or the QX-5.  I'm using a Lumin U2 streamer feeding my QX-5 via USB.  I seriously doubt it's the Lumin causing the issue though.  I can play anywhere from 5(?) to 50(?) songs via Roon and all of a sudden, I'll get very loud static over the music.  The only way to fix it is to toggle off O/S and then toggle it back on again.  I O/S to 705.6, 768 and 8x DSD. 

I am experiencing the very same issue, so I think this might be related to the QX-5.

My setup is a bit different though: Server (a custom PC with selected parts) running Roon and HQPlayer, SOtM sMS200ultra (as a NAA) and Ayre QX-5 Twenty.

I always bypass the internal Ayre minimum phase filter by sending a signal which is already upsampled to 16x (by HQPlayer) and Roon is for audio library management only.  If I play a full album or songs continuously with the same input sample rate, everything goes fine, it upsamples flawlessly to 705,6 kHz / 768 kHz, so 44,1/88,2/176,4 to 705,6 or 48/96/192 to 768. However if Roon shuffles songs with different input sample rates (and upsampling is done either by Roon or HQPlayer), it might happen that the sound gets completely distorted, it is indeed like a static noise.
E.g. 44,1 kHz upsampled to 705,6 kHz plays fine, after that a song of 96 kHz upsampled to 768 kHz gets distorted. Static noise disappears only when I turn off upsampling and music plays in its native form, so distortion clears and then I can move back to 16x upsampling again until it gets distorted once again by shuffling between songs with different sample rates.
If you do upsample 16x the only solution is to continuously do 44,1 or its multipliers (88,2/176,4) to 705,6 or 48 or its multipliers (96/192) to 768 but do not shuffle between 44,1 and 48 or its multipliers.
I am not an expert and it is only my 2 cents that it might be happening due to the fact that QX-5 units with USB 2.0 module cannot lock correctly onto the required 16x sample rate input in some cases (from 705,6 kHz to 768 kHz?). Maybe a firmware update can fix this.

@Csabaexactly correct. I have my Roon library on constant shuffle. The majority of files are CD (44.1) but I have a fair amount of 96 and 192. It seems to happen when switching from one rate to the other. DSD seems fine at max over sampling rate though.