IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

On 5/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, richardp01 said:

The microRendu is fun to play around with but I can't see using it in a normal life.  To play from my NAS I have to first go online to switch the output to DLNA and then use BubbleUpNp to play files. 

I've been using  a microRendu/ultraRendu for a couple of years. 

Your challenge lies elsewhere. I use LMS and play music day after day without having to go through any hoops.   i ran LMS on my Win7 box for years but now from a Synology 718+ NAS.   It plays 24/7.

While I replaced Tidal with Qobuz, everything plays fine.   All the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Really need some help here. I sat down to listen to some music last night on my upstairs system. The source equipment is a SonicOrbiter as the Roon core, and an upgraded MicroRendu. When I first turned on the amps, preamp, and DAC, and let them warm up a bit, all looked fine, but I was getting no sound when I selected music from my Roon app on my iPad Pro. I rebooted the SonicOrbiter, and also rebooted the microrendu. Now, the zone shows my Microrendu, but the music only plays out of my iPad! I'm completely confused as to what is out of whack here.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

JC

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Really need some help here. I sat down to listen to some music last night on my upstairs system. The source equipment is a SonicOrbiter as the Roon core, and an upgraded MicroRendu. When I first turned on the amps, preamp, and DAC, and let them warm up a bit, all looked fine, but I was getting no sound when I selected music from my Roon app on my iPad Pro. I rebooted the SonicOrbiter, and also rebooted the microrendu. Now, the zone shows my Microrendu, but the music only plays out of my iPad! I'm completely confused as to what is out of whack here.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

JC

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save.

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled.

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device. 

17 hours ago, vortecjr said:

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save.

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled.

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device. 

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.  - CHECKED and listed

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save. - DONE

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled. The Rendu is listed, as a device located on my network, I can find no enable button for it. On other devices founf, there is an enable button, on the Rendu's, in that same place the button would be found, it says zone name and below that the name of the microrendu

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device.  - It is selected as the audio device, and at the bottom, right corner of the iPad's Roon screen it shows queue - the Rendu's name, and a speaker with the indicators that it is on

At this point things seem further along than before, but still no music being passed to the DAC thus, no sound. 

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.  - CHECKED and listed

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save. - DONE

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled. The Rendu is listed, as a device located on my network, I can find no enable button for it. On other devices founf, there is an enable button, on the Rendu's, in that same place the button would be found, it says zone name and below that the name of the microrendu

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device.  - It is selected as the audio device, and at the bottom, right corner of the iPad's Roon screen it shows queue - the Rendu's name, and a speaker with the indicators that it is on

At this point things seem further along than before, but still no music being passed to the DAC thus, no sound. 

In Apps / DAC Diagnostics look for a Momentary Frequency. for this you have to start playback and refresh the webpage. If a Momentary Frequency is listed then the Rendu is receiving the stream. With a Momentary Frequency listed the issue would likely be elsewhere. Could be the DAC analog stage, some hidden volume control, or interconnect issue, amp, etc. 

Just wanted to mention that after owning the microRendu for quite a while, I've just now discovered Shairport. A kind neighbor who's into audio gave me access to the music on his NAS through a phone app, and when thinking of how to play it through my system, I remembered seeing an Airplay-related app available on the mR.

It was nice having access to his collection, but then it struck me that basically anything I could share from my iPhone or MacBook should also work.

Well, there's really no limit. Favorite radio stations from around the US and the world, apps from music sites like Bandcamp, services like Qobuz.... I listened to news and music programming from my home town radio station 2000 miles away a few nights ago - great to have a touch of home.

Thanks for including this among the apps/capabilities available on the microRendu, Jesus.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

24 minutes ago, Jud said:

Just wanted to mention that after owning the microRendu for quite a while, I've just now discovered Shairport. A kind neighbor who's into audio gave me access to the music on his NAS through a phone app, and when thinking of how to play it through my system, I remembered seeing an Airplay-related app available on the mR.

It was nice having access to his collection, but then it struck me that basically anything I could share from my iPhone or MacBook should also work.

Well, there's really no limit. Favorite radio stations from around the US and the world, apps from music sites like Bandcamp, services like Qobuz.... I listened to news and music programming from my home town radio station 2000 miles away a few nights ago - great to have a touch of home.

Thanks for including this among the apps/capabilities available on the microRendu, Jesus.

I agree. Shareport is the one of the reasons I bought an uR.

I use it everyday to listen to IDAGIO since they don't have a stand alone DLNA app such as SPOTIFY Connect. I also use it with the OVERCAST Podcast app. The Aiport Express is no longer available except in the refurb / used market, so Shareport has kept the Apple environment open for me.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

59 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yeh, I should try this with my iPad - for streaming radio stations I can no longer access via fm, cos we moved house ...

You use airplay into Shairport? Is there a guide for us struggling novices ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

14 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Yeh, I should try this with my iPad - for streaming radio stations I can no longer access via fm, cos we moved house ...

You use airplay into Shairport? Is there a guide for us struggling novices ...?

Each app is a little different. But generally:

!- Choose Shareport in the Sonic Orbiter App switcher.

2- Play your radio station to the iPad internal speakers.

3- Find the "Device" icon or Airplay icon on your favorite radio streaming app. It is usually at the bottom somewhere. Tap it.

4- The mR or uR should be listed under Airplay Devices. Choose it. The signal is then moved to the Rendu.

You can also find the Airplay icon in the control panel (swipe down in the right hand upper corner) of your iPad, but I find the app approach more intuitive.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Most people settle in on one output mode, but the intention was always for people to switch between the various output modes. When you switch from output mode to the next the last output is switched off so basically each selection is like a dedicated solution. 

Another good solution for internet radio is the built in Logitech Media Server and its SqueezeLite output mode. 

1 hour ago, rodrigaj said:

You can also find the Airplay icon in the control panel (swipe down in the right hand upper corner) of your iPad, but I find the app approach more intuitive

And for me it's easier to access the Airplay icon on my iPhone (swipe down from the top and there it is at the upper right of the control panel), so it's just up to whatever your preference is.

It's fun to do things like compare the same track, for example in mp3 streaming from Amazon Prime; then Redbook or hi res from the Qobuz app; then Redbook or hi res with software upsampling with Audirvana  All easily done from my phone.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks, I’ll get on it later this arvo (Oz only slang?).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

17 hours ago, Jud said:

I use that feature regularly to make up for the poor Internet Radio support in Roon. I use TuneIn which is free and has pretty much any station I’ve ever looked for. 

Long time MicroRendu/LPS-1 user. Purchased upgraded card first week it was offered.

MR appears dead.

LPS-1 in green mode.

No lights on MR, nothing when power cycled.

MR found on sonicorbiter.com but when I go to Manage the computer hangs and cannot find it.

MR not found by Roon.

Have gone through normal troubleshooting procedures. 

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Thanks. 

17 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Another good solution for internet radio is the built in Logitech Media Server and its SqueezeLite output mode. 

Jesus: I tried to install LMS several times and apparently succeeded:

1046500079_ScreenShot2019-05-27at11_40_22AM.thumb.jpg.22741b125109c5adfa532ea83fa86004.jpg

But it does not show up in the Installed Apps:

1653908828_ScreenShot2019-05-27at11_41_35AM.thumb.jpg.5a0d489cf408d80b02eaf613bcd809f5.jpg

I would love to try the internet radio suggestion you made. Any ideas?

Oops... I didn't wait long enough,,, It's LMS is installed now. I saw the "complete" and forgot I need to wait for "back to server".

On 6/7/2016 at 4:34 AM, JohnSwenson said:

A USB switch or an Ethernet switch? If a USB switch then definitely try without it.

For testing (trying to get the DAC to be seen) you want to be as simple as possible, no devices between the microRendu and the DAC, just the cable. For testing don't use a fancy dual head cable or any of the ones that have the power pin disconnected etc. Just a plain normal everyday non-audiophile cable.

Try several sequences.

1) Power down both DAC and microRendu. Hook up cable between, Power up DAC. Then power up microRendu.

2) Power down both DAC and microRendu. Hook up cable between, Power up microRendu, wait until Ethernet light is steadily flashing, then power up DAC.

3) Power down both DAC and microRendu. Do NOT hook up cable. Power up DAC, power up MicroRendu, wait until Ethernet light is steadily flashing. Plug in cable.

Do any of these sequences work?

John S.

@vortecjr

Seeking help again.....

Switched DACs and now back to my Geek Pulse. Can't get mr to find my dac. Have tried above and a few other combos

This is all I can get it to see under custom dac

Error in alsa-capabilities (v0.9.1): aplay did not find any soundcard.

Any help appreciated

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

2 hours ago, bunno77 said:

@vortecjr

Seeking help again.....

Switched DACs and now back to my Geek Pulse. Can't get mr to find my dac. Have tried above and a few other combos

This is all I can get it to see under custom dac

Error in alsa-capabilities (v0.9.1): aplay did not find any soundcard.

Any help appreciated

Maybe it's time for it to come in for a look see. Contact your vendor via email and request and RMA number. 

46 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Maybe it's time for it to come in for a look see. Contact your vendor via email and request and RMA number. 

Why?

Plugged in the other DAC that has been used for a week and it is seeing it fine again.

I have had this issue a few times with the geek pulse dac and what you suggested before worked but I can't find it now

Cyenne Audio Cyenne Audio DAC at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, full speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 8000 - 96000 (continuous)
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S24_3LE
Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 62
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 62 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 62 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

51 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Why?

Plugged in the other DAC that has been used for a week and it is seeing it fine again.

I have had this issue a few times with the geek pulse dac and what you suggested before worked but I can't find it now

Cyenne Audio Cyenne Audio DAC at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, full speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S24_3LE

Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 62
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 62 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 62 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

I understood that your other devices were not working either. My suggestion was likely to  Power cycle your USB device. Have you contacted Light Harmonics to find out why their device is sketchy on Linux?

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I understood that your other devices were not working either. My suggestion was likely to  Power cycle your USB device. Have you contacted Light Harmonics to find out why their device is sketchy on Linux?

FWIW, I also have used a microRendu and Signature Rendu SE with a Geek Pulse without incidents that were related to the Pulse itself. (It was one of three DACs equally affected, though, when the rendus themselves had issues.)  That suggests to me that the Pulse plays nicely with Linux.  However, the Pulses have been prone to hardware failures and I wonder if that's the case unless @bunno77's Pulse continues to work well in other settings.

@bunno77, if you need help from LH, I am sure you know that LH has shut down technical support and customer service.  Your best way of trying to obtain relief at this point is to pm @LHCommSquad and see if he can steer you to someone who can help a brother out.  It's a longshot but opening a ticket at LH's site is a complete waste of time at this point. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

@Mike Rubin @vortecjr

Thank you both for the replies.

Turned out to be the standard hard USB adapter not liking the Pulse. Worked fine in the Cyenne and has been fine in the Pulse before. Swapped back to the sonore hard adapter and all good. The issues with the sonore hard adapater seem to have disappeared too so that's a bonus.

That is absolutely disgusting to hear about the support from LH labs especially considering the parent company is running. Luckily I have not had any issues with mine

7 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

@Mike Rubin @vortecjr

Thank you both for the replies.

Turned out to be the standard hard USB adapter not liking the Pulse. Worked fine in the Cyenne and has been fine in the Pulse before. Swapped back to the sonore hard adapter and all good. The issues with the sonore hard adapater seem to have disappeared too so that's a bonus.

That is absolutely disgusting to hear about the support from LH labs especially considering the parent company is running. Luckily I have not had any issues with mine

Good catch...