IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Speaking of frustrations .. I needed to power down my mR for a short time today (don't ask) and, when everything was back up and operational, I got nothing. No sound. I went through all the requisite steps to ensure sound would indeed be happening only to hear more silence. Went through it all again and while everything appeared OK, silence. As a kind of last resort I decided to connect the mR directly to the USB port on my DAC and voilá .. glorious sound! Apparently my USB-SPDIF converter shit the bed. Fortunately, I'm liking the direct connection as much as, if not more, than the converter.

12 hours ago, Melvin said:

Speaking of frustrations .. I needed to power down my mR for a short time today (don't ask) and, when everything was back up and operational, I got nothing. No sound. I went through all the requisite steps to ensure sound would indeed be happening only to hear more silence. Went through it all again and while everything appeared OK, silence. As a kind of last resort I decided to connect the mR directly to the USB port on my DAC and voilá .. glorious sound! Apparently my USB-SPDIF converter shit the bed. Fortunately, I'm liking the direct connection as much as, if not more, than the converter.

We can’t argue with those results. Enjoy!

Just got a microRendu to (eventually) replace my living room Squeezebox. I'm using Roon (running on a QNAP TS-251 NAS). Setting it up was pretty easy, installed Roon Ready and Squeezelite. Somehow I couldn't see it in the software as Roon device, so I choose Squeezelite instead. It works. Is there any good reason why using it as a Roon Ready device is better?

2 hours ago, Trojka said:

Just got a microRendu to (eventually) replace my living room Squeezebox. I'm using Roon (running on a QNAP TS-251 NAS). Setting it up was pretty easy, installed Roon Ready and Squeezelite. Somehow I couldn't see it in the software as Roon device, so I choose Squeezelite instead. It works. Is there any good reason why using it as a Roon Ready device is better?

The unit needs to see the DAC before Roon will see the unit. Apps / DAC Diagnostics will let you know if the unit sees the DAC. 

Does the microRendu work with an older DAC, like the Audiolab M-Dac? I believe it's USB 1.0. I use a USB hub with the Squeezebox in my bedroom (it solves the package mismatch). When I want to replace that Squeezebox as well, I hope it works well with the microRendu. 

2 hours ago, Trojka said:

Does the microRendu work with an older DAC, like the Audiolab M-Dac? I believe it's USB 1.0. I use a USB hub with the Squeezebox in my bedroom (it solves the package mismatch). When I want to replace that Squeezebox as well, I hope it works well with the microRendu. 

It will work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jesus

Could you help please.

I'm having a problem using the Spotify app. Have updated  sonore to current realise and deleted/reinstalled Spotify app to try and fix but issue persists.

When controlling Spotify via phone or pc, through their apps, I am only able to play albums or tracks via the "Queue" .  This never used to be the case and I'm not sure when it changed.

Many thanks

Andy

2 hours ago, andyb said:

Hi Jesus

Could you help please.

I'm having a problem using the Spotify app. Have updated  sonore to current realise and deleted/reinstalled Spotify app to try and fix but issue persists.

When controlling Spotify via phone or pc, through their apps, I am only able to play albums or tracks via the "Queue" .  This never used to be the case and I'm not sure when it changed.

Many thanks

Andy

It’s currently not working. There is some talk about it in the dedicated Spotify thread here on our sponsored section.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, TubeLover said:

On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.  - CHECKED and listed

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save. - DONE

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled. The Rendu is listed, as a device located on my network, I can find no enable button for it. On other devices founf, there is an enable button, on the Rendu's, in that same place the button would be found, it says zone name and below that the name of the microrendu

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device.  - It is selected as the audio device, and at the bottom, right corner of the iPad's Roon screen it shows queue - the Rendu's name, and a speaker with the indicators that it is on

At this point things seem further along than before, but still no music being passed to the DAC thus, no sound. 

Also, when I check Zones, the microrendu is shown there, and highlighted as the selected device, and it shows the music being played

I was never able to get this issue resolved. Mostly because I've been all but disabled by a severe hip/back, nerve issue. Things have just improved in the last day or two, and obviously, finding a  resolution to be able to listen to music in my office/den was on my mind. Especially now, as once I am in one part of the house, I essentially need to stay there for long periods as movement is very difficult. 

A friend thought the issue might have been the Mutec, although I didn't feel it was likely, as the Mutec shows when music is being sent to it via a pattern of lights, and it was not showing that it was receiving anything. Just to be safe, I inserted a very basic USB to SPDIF converter that my friend loaned me (being used in his bedroom system) into the system earlier tonight. 

After trying repeatedly, using both the Mutec and the other converter, now Roon does not see the Microrendu at all, only my iPad Pro. The SonicOrbiter does see it, but not Roon. I have rebooted Roon several times, rebooted the Microrendu and done everything else I can think of. My frustration level is extremely high, given how many hours I spent previously. I have to get the system upstairs working at playing music. 

At this point, any assistance whatsoever would be immensely appreciated. 

JC

Update, I have now at least been able to get back to where I was when the original problem appeared. We had a huge storm hit the area earlier, knocked out power (thank God for my whole home generator) and Comcast had some issues, They now appear to have cleared up, but were, no doubt, responsible for my earlier issues tonight. 

So, I followed the original directions from Jesus, back two months ago:

"On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and make sure your USB device is listed.

On the Rendu go to Settings / RoonReady and press Save.

On Roon go to Settings / Audio and make sure the Rendu is listed and Enabled.

On Roon make sure the Rendu is selected as the Audio Device."

So, the Mutec is indeed listed as the USB device, Rendu is listed and enabled, and showing on Roon. Everything looks exactly as it should, but no music is playing back, although my iPad Pro clearly shows it being played. And once again, the Mutec is not showing that it is receiving any music, as the lights that indicate that are not on. I'm lost, as I was before when this started.

JC

Next update. Jesus' last suggestion was:

"In Apps / DAC Diagnostics look for a Momentary Frequency. for this you have to start playback and refresh the webpage. If a Momentary Frequency is listed then the Rendu is receiving the stream. With a Momentary Frequency listed the issue would likely be elsewhere. Could be the DAC analog stage, some hidden volume control, or interconnect issue, amp, etc."

Looked in Apps/DAC Diagnostics. Momentary frequency is listed. I'm aware of no hidden volume controls. I have checked and verified every connection, and different preamplification and power amplification is in place and different cables from the DAC to preamp.. That would only seem to leave the DAC, but again, I can see from the Mutec that it is receiving no music feed. Which means nothing is being passed to the DAC. Just to work from a clean slate, I would swap out the DAC, but the only other one I have is amongst the largest, heaviest DAC's in existence, and I'm unfortunately not physically able to pick it up and carry it up a flight of stairs in my current condition. And again, with the Mutec seeing no musical information being sent to it, I have to seriously question the DAC being the issue. So again, I seem to be at an impasse. And even further frustrated. 

JC   

Try this in order:

1. Update the Rendu from Apps / Software manager, wait for the Back to Main Menu Link to appear.

2. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the USB Device.

3. Connect the power cable to the USB Device and power it on.

4. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.

5. On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the USB Device is present.

6. On the Rendu go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.

7. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.

8. In Roon select the Rendu for playback. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, vortecjr said:

My Roon Core can not find the mR after reinstallation of the Roon Ready to version 1.1.36. The Roon Ready Diagnostic shown Error 500 Service unavailable but DAC Diagnostic appeared the mR talks to DAC just fine. Anyone with the Roon Ready version 1.1.36 still working fine with Roon Core?

On 7/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, vortecjr said:

Try this in order:

1. Update the Rendu from Apps / Software manager, wait for the Back to Main Menu Link to appear.

2. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the USB Device.

3. Connect the power cable to the USB Device and power it on.

4. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.

5. On the Rendu go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the USB Device is present.

6. On the Rendu go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.

7. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.

8. In Roon select the Rendu for playback. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have previously been using a Windows naa to feed audio streamed over my network by HQPlayer. I’ve just tried replacing the naa pc with the MicroRendu (updated to 2.7), and I get a regular tick through my loudspeakers every 9 seconds, whether music is playing or not. Any ideas why?

If I switch the MicroRendu so that audio is being streamed direct from Roon, the ticking remains exactly the same. 

As soon as I replace the MicroRendu with a mini pc using Miska’s bootable naa image, the ticking disappears. 

The MicroRendu is powered by an Ultracap LPS-1. The network connection is by cat 6 Ethernet to a fibre optic adaptor (night this be the problem?). A usb cable goes straight from the MicroRendu to a T&A DAC8 DSD. This is the same setup that works fine from the mini pc with Miska’s bootable naa image. 

I was hoping the MicroRendu would simplify things, and that I might go on to invest in one of its more sophisticated siblings, but this is a bit offputting.

Thanks to to anyone who can help. 

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

I have previously been using a Windows naa to feed audio streamed over my network by HQPlayer. I’ve just tried replacing the naa pc with the MicroRendu (updated to 2.7), and I get a regular tick through my loudspeakers every 9 seconds, whether music is playing or not. Any ideas why?

If I switch the MicroRendu so that audio is being streamed direct from Roon, the ticking remains exactly the same. 

As soon as I replace the MicroRendu with a mini pc using Miska’s bootable naa image, the ticking disappears. 

The MicroRendu is powered by an Ultracap LPS-1. The network connection is by cat 6 Ethernet to a fibre optic adaptor (night this be the problem?). A usb cable goes straight from the MicroRendu to a T&A DAC8 DSD. This is the same setup that works fine from the mini pc with Miska’s bootable naa image. 

I was hoping the MicroRendu would simplify things, and that I might go on to invest in one of its more sophisticated siblings, but this is a bit offputting.

Thanks to to anyone who can help. 

What happens if you use the LPS-1's charger to directly power the Rendu?