IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Greeting,

I am about to get a Microrendu.  Can you answer the following questions:

1.  Is it compatible with my WD NAS that has a Twonky server?

2.  Your literature indicates the Spotify interface has been in beta form for three years,  is it still not ready for prime time? 

3.  Do I need the latest version of Sonicorbiter to get Spotify?

4.  Do I need to reconfigure the Microrendu mode with my computer each time I switch between BubbleUpnp and Spotify?

5.  Will HifiCast work on the Microrendu?

Thanks,   Rick

5 hours ago, richardp01 said:

Greeting,

I am about to get a Microrendu.  Can you answer the following questions:

1.  Is it compatible with my WD NAS that has a Twonky server?

2.  Your literature indicates the Spotify interface has been in beta form for three years,  is it still not ready for prime time? 

3.  Do I need the latest version of Sonicorbiter to get Spotify?

4.  Do I need to reconfigure the Microrendu mode with my computer each time I switch between BubbleUpnp and Spotify?

5.  Will HifiCast work on the Microrendu?

Thanks,   Rick

For 1. Yes.

For 2. It's still Bata and all remain as such. 

For 3. Yes or least 2.5 or above if memory serves me correct. FYI Spotify is presently not working and I suggest you look at Tidal or Qobuz.

For 4. Yes. Its one output mode at a time.

For 5. I'm not sure what that is. It would work if it support Airplay. 

6 hours ago, richardp01 said:

Thanks for your response.   FYI Hi-ficast is an Android app similar to BubbleUpNp but with access to internet radio

without the use of a separate app.  It took less than 10 minutes to download and get running with my current streamer.

If Hi-ficast is a UPnP controller with access to internet radio then it should work, but I have not tested it. 

Just tested Hifi Cast on a Galaxy S9.  Linked with any of several DLNA servers (but not Twonky) that are connected to my Synology NAS, it works fine. (I don't have Twonky or I would have tested with it, too.) 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Thanks for the info guys.

I just got my Microrendu.  It works fine with BubbleUpNp.  However, when I set the output to Spotify using the AppSwitcher under the Apps tab and go to Connect to a Device in Spotify, I see the Rendu under the list of devices.  When I click on Rendu Spotify shows a connecting indicator but fails to connect.  So I guess this is normal since Jesus stated above that Spotify is currently not working.  Is this a Spotify thing that they have to correct or a Sonore thing that they haven't caught up with?

Jesus suggested using Tidal but I don't see it in any of the menus.  Does Tidal just run on the DLNA renderer?

Thanks,

Rick

8 minutes ago, richardp01 said:

Thanks for the info guys.

I just got my Microrendu.  It works fine with BubbleUpNp.  However, when I set the output to Spotify using the AppSwitcher under the Apps tab and go to Connect to a Device in Spotify, I see the Rendu under the list of devices.  When I click on Rendu Spotify shows a connecting indicator but fails to connect.  So I guess this is normal since Jesus stated above that Spotify is currently not working.  Is this a Spotify thing that they have to correct or a Sonore thing that they haven't caught up with?

Jesus suggested using Tidal but I don't see it in any of the menus.  Does Tidal just run on the DLNA renderer?

Thanks,

Rick

I use Tidal through Bubbleupnp which is ok but my playlist tracks aren't in the correct order. For some reason Bubbleupnp doesn't find all my Tidal playlists either.

Kazzo has playlist tracks in the correct order but doesn't see all my playlists.

I also use Roon with Tidal which is very good but being able to use streaming services' native app would be fantastc/prefered.

Hoping Chromecast will happen one day

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

Hi,

I am just learning about the Sonore products. I am wondering why I'd need it.

I will be receiving a dCS Bartok in a few weeks to replace my DeBussy. I am getting a new Mac Mini to replace my 2011 version.

Setup: NAS, Tidal, Roon( on Mac) plus the new Bartok.

I enjoy playing Amarra through Roon and directly through the application. SAme with Audirvana +.

What would a Sonore do? Where would  put it, how would I hook it up? Which model? Do I need one?

Lots of questions.

Thanks

Bernard

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

17 hours ago, Munchoba said:

Hi,

I will be receiving a dCS Bartok in a few weeks to replace my DeBussy. I am getting a new Mac Mini to replace my 2011 version.

I enjoy playing Amarra through Roon and directly through the application. SAme with Audirvana +.

What would a Sonore do? Where would  put it, how would I hook it up? Which model? Do I need one?

Lots of questions.

Thanks

Bernard

The Rendu series is a replacement for your computer in the audio room. This way you can use your computer or NAS as the source in another room. The computer or NAS in the other room is your server and controller and the Rendu is your renderer isolated over the network. A tablet can also be a remote controller. 

15 hours ago, steveoat said:

Are you phasing out the microRendu?

I see on your site you are offering B stock only.  Does this mean that you are discontinuing this product.  And if so, what are you replacing it with?

I haven’t really thought about it. Right now we have a limited supply of these b-stock units and we decided to offer them at a great price. The ultraRendu or the opticalRendu are very good alternatives.

Jesus,

I am going to give Tidal a try.  I have subscribed and downloaded their app to my Android.  I also have BubbleUpNp on my Android.  As stated above I have a Twonky Server on my NAS.  The microRendu is set up and switched to DLNA.  How do I send Tidal to the microRendu?

Okay!  I found the instructions on how to run Tidal.  After I upgraded to firmware version 2.7 and installed the Linn Kazoo app I got Tidal to run.  I also found that Spotify will also run although at a much reduced volume through my USB 1.0 connection.  The sound on Tidal is fantastic even running MP3.

The microRendu is fun to play around with but I can't see using it in a normal life.  To play from my NAS I have to first go online to switch the output to DLNA and then use BubbleUpNp to play files.  To play Tidal I have to go to the network and make sure the output is set correctly and then go to Kazoo, not Tidal, to play Tidal.  To play Spotify I have to go online and change the output to Spotify, then go to Spotify, change the output to microRendu and then play.  

Jesus, if you would just automate the handshaking process for each of the output types you would have a worthy product that the average person could use, not just geeks like me.

6 hours ago, richardp01 said:

Okay!  I found the instructions on how to run Tidal.  After I upgraded to firmware version 2.7 and installed the Linn Kazoo app I got Tidal to run.  I also found that Spotify will also run although at a much reduced volume through my USB 1.0 connection.  The sound on Tidal is fantastic even running MP3.

The microRendu is fun to play around with but I can't see using it in a normal life.  To play from my NAS I have to first go online to switch the output to DLNA and then use BubbleUpNp to play files.  To play Tidal I have to go to the network and make sure the output is set correctly and then go to Kazoo, not Tidal, to play Tidal.  To play Spotify I have to go online and change the output to Spotify, then go to Spotify, change the output to microRendu and then play. 

Keeping the microRendu in DLNA mode you can use Bubbleupnp to send music from your NAS or from Tidal. Just enter your Tidal login in Bubbleupnp. 

Screenshot_2019-05-05-09-37-46_1.png

1 hour ago, jaaptina said:
8 hours ago, richardp01 said:

Keeping the microRendu in DLNA mode you can use Bubbleupnp to send music from your NAS or from Tidal. Just enter your Tidal login in Bubbleupnp. 

+1 .. convenient and easy (Qobuz for me). I use a Chromecast Audio for Spotify, TuneIn, and Radio Paradise. Best inexpensive (cheap!) solution I found.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:57 PM, Munchoba said:

Hi,

Lots of questions.

Thanks

Bernard

The Bartok works as a network upnp device, so in the narrow sense a Rendu device would be redundant. There are two scenarios where it might be useful: a) if you want to use one of the multiple modes the Rendu works in, like HQP NAA that the Bartok doesn't have; b) if you somehow aren't happy using the direct USB input on the Bartok and want to try using a USB out device like the Rendu to feed the Bartok an "optimized" USB signal. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 5/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, richardp01 said:

Jesus, if you would just automate the handshaking process for each of the output types you would have a worthy product that the average person could use, not just geeks like me.

Why not use Roon to do all those things and a bunch more without changing any settings?

On 4/30/2019 at 5:57 AM, Munchoba said:

Hi,

Lots of questions.

Thanks

Bernard

FWIW, - I've found that after years of playing back digital music files on a MacMini, - that is significantly less sound quality, and significantly more expensive to optimize, - than the very fine Sonore line of digital file players. Yes, - an item in the Rendu line would replace your MacMini, - or allow you to use it as a file server in another room, - where it belongs, - IMO. But, - I happen to be in the elimination camp. For a number of years, - I've used a NAS in another room, - and will never go back to using a traditional multifunction computer on an audio rack.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

FWIW, - I've found that after years of playing back digital music files on a MacMini, - that is significantly less sound quality, and significantly more expensive to optimize, - than the very fine Sonore line of digital file players. Yes, - an item in the Rendu line would replace your MacMini, - or allow you to use it as a file server in another room, - where it belongs, - IMO. But, - I happen to be in the elimination camp. For a number of years, - I've used a NAS in another room, - and will never go back to using a traditional multifunction computer on an audio rack.

Cheers,

I'm with you. I use a Synology NAS as my DLNA server. The only upgrade needed was a battery backup to make sure it and the router are always on:)  

20 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I'm with you. I use a Synology NAS as my DLNA server. The only upgrade needed was a battery backup to make sure it and the router are always on:)  

I had the unexpected luxury of enjoying the music playing for ages, after the power went out, as Hurricane Florence headed straight towards us last year and all my gear stayed up on UPS backup. "Oh yeah, Florence, is that all you have? Here's my bad weather playlist" ... When the levee breaks; rock you like a hurricane; thunderstruck; the house is rockin' ... etc!

3 minutes ago, http404 said:

I had the unexpected luxury of enjoying the music playing for ages, after the power went out, as Hurricane Florence headed straight towards us last year and all my gear stayed up on UPS backup. "Oh yeah, Florence, is that all you have? Here's my bad weather playlist" ... When the levee breaks; rock you like a hurricane; thunderstruck; the house is rockin' ... etc!

Best money spend!

On 5/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, firedog said:

The Bartok works as a network upnp device, so in the narrow sense a Rendu device would be redundant. There are two scenarios where it might be useful: a) if you want to use one of the multiple modes the Rendu works in, like HQP NAA that the Bartok doesn't have; b) if you somehow aren't happy using the direct USB input on the Bartok and want to try using a USB out device like the Rendu to feed the Bartok an "optimized" USB signal. 

Thank you Firedog 

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.