IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

15 minutes ago, steveoat said:

Which app setting would you use on the microrendu

You are using ROON right?  For ROON you set the microRendu to ROON Ready via the app switcher, and then go to "settings" and make sure the ROON settings are correct for DSD (DoP or Native).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Guys, I am using a microRendu updated to hardware v. 1.4.

I have just installed the Kazoo Server in my Qnap NAS. I am also using BubbleUpnp server to create the OpenHome renderers.

But I am not able to play to microRendu uas renderer streamig from the Kazoo Server. Only when streaming from the MinimServer. Since I am using Linn Kazoo as control point, I would also like to use the Kazoo serer for better integration.

The strange thing is that I can play using the Linn Kazzo - Kazoo Server combo if I select my PSAudio Bridge II as renderer. Library is 100% in flac format.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, jvvita said:

Guys, I am using a microRendu updated to hardware v. 1.4.

I have just installed the Kazoo Server in my Qnap NAS. I am also using BubbleUpnp server to create the OpenHome renderers.

But I am not able to play to microRendu uas renderer streamig from the Kazoo Server. Only when streaming from the MinimServer. Since I am using Linn Kazoo as control point, I would also like to use the Kazoo serer for better integration.

The strange thing is that I can play using the Linn Kazzo - Kazoo Server combo if I select my PSAudio Bridge II as renderer. Library is 100% in flac format.

Any thoughts?

Assuming you are using SonicObiter 2.7...Please update the unit. Then go to Settings / MPD and press Save.

Very happy with this little MicroRendu - it sounds wonderful.  But (you knew there was a but here, didn't you?) 

When it is just sitting there doing nothing, it has a case temperature of 128F. When playing, it goes up a couple of degrees. This seems really hot for a tiny little device, powered from the iFi Power supply you sent with it.  

This is little warm to be "normal" I think?  What if anything should I do? 

Yours,

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

7 hours ago, Paul R said:

Very happy with this little MicroRendu - it sounds wonderful.  But (you knew there was a but here, didn't you?) 

When it is just sitting there doing nothing, it has a case temperature of 128F. When playing, it goes up a couple of degrees. This seems really hot for a tiny little device, powered from the iFi Power supply you sent with it.  

This is little warm to be "normal" I think?  What if anything should I do? 

Yours,

-Paul 

When I used a 9V iFi - it got quite hot. One helpful hint is to stand it on it's side, it will cool a bit better that way.
If you use a 7V supply it will only get warm and not hot. I believe John Swenson said that as long as it isn't too hot to touch, it shouldn't be a big concern.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 minutes ago, firedog said:

When I used a 9V iFi - it got quite hot. One helpful hint is to stand it on it's side, it will cool a bit better that way.
If you use a 7V supply it will only get warm and not hot. I believe John Swenson said that as long as it isn't too hot to touch, it shouldn't be a big concern.

Well that is good to know. It seems odd that such a little thing needs to dissipate so much heat though. On it’s side it goes...

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Jesus, I do not understand how this is the case.

The DAC it is attached to is a Peachtree Nova 150, and it is powered down when not in use. This is supported by noting that the Roon device disappears when the Peachtree is off, and instantly reappears when it is turned on. And the little guy stays just as warm when I disconnect the USB cable, the Ethernet cable, or both. 

Do do you have a way to dump diagnostics from the device or something? Danny suggested it is the 9v input from the iFi power supply...?

I did set it on it’s side and the case temp dropped to about 114F when not being used. The ambient temp is 66-68F by the way, and I temporarily located it on top of the audio rack. (An open 5 shelf salamander.) I had it on the same shelf as the Peachtree, which is cool to the touch. 

Robert A. Heinlein

On 2/25/2019 at 9:47 AM, Paul R said:

Hi Jesus, I do not understand how this is the case.

The DAC it is attached to is a Peachtree Nova 150, and it is powered down when not in use. This is supported by noting that the Roon device disappears when the Peachtree is off, and instantly reappears when it is turned on. And the little guy stays just as warm when I disconnect the USB cable, the Ethernet cable, or both. 

Do do you have a way to dump diagnostics from the device or something? Danny suggested it is the 9v input from the iFi power supply...?

I did set it on it’s side and the case temp dropped to about 114F when not being used. The ambient temp is 66-68F by the way, and I temporarily located it on top of the audio rack. (An open 5 shelf salamander.) I had it on the same shelf as the Peachtree, which is cool to the touch. 

The USB interface can still use bus power even when the DAC is powered down...every DAC is different. Yes, it will drop off in Roon when you power the DAC off. The higher the input voltage the hotter the unit gets especially if the DAC uses USB bus power. 

That makes sense - but the DAC does not use any power from the USB, and I bought the power supply from you guys, so I assume it is OK. 

I guess so long as the temperature doesn't bother you guys, I won't worry about it.  It's still covered under warranty if it fails, I think? 

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

On 2/27/2019 at 9:13 PM, vortecjr said:

Are you sure...it’s very common. Anyway, the 9V iFi has been sold in combination with the mR and uR since launch.

Pretty sure - it has been disconnected from the DAC for a couple hours, but not from the ethernet connection.  Has cooled down a bit, 112.1F. 

Seriously, if that temperature doesn't bother you, then it doesn't bother me. I measured it with an Etekcity Lasergrip 630. It's pretty accurate.  The cup next to it measures at 71.4F. 

Yours,

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

Pretty sure - it has been disconnected from the DAC for a couple hours, but not from the ethernet connection.  Has cooled down a bit, 112.1F. 

Seriously, if that temperature doesn't bother you, then it doesn't bother me. I measured it with an Etekcity Lasergrip 630. It's pretty accurate.  The cup next to it measures at 71.4F. 

Yours,

-Paul 

IMG_0664.thumb.jpeg.376670860750ad83d966191dd5b4587a.jpeg

If it cooled down after you unplugged the USB cable then the DAC was likely using power from the USB bus. 

I think the temperature measurement is very accurate, to within 0.1 degrees or so. :)   But as I said, if you are comfortable with that temperature, I won't worry about it.

It makes very nice music indeed. 

That instrument might be precise, but not likely accurate when pointed at a silver anodized surface with a low emmisivity value. If anything it’s likely hotter than your measurement. Anyway, enjoy the music.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, vortecjr said:

Assuming you are using SonicObiter 2.7...Please update the unit. Then go to Settings / MPD and press Save.

It worked. Thank you very much.

Do we have any update on using uRendu for Qobuz dlna streaming from windows desktop?

On 2/28/2019 at 3:27 AM, vortecjr said:

That instrument might be precise, but not likely accurate when pointed at a silver anodized surface with a low emmisivity value. If anything it’s likely hotter than your measurement. Anyway, enjoy the music.

It sounds great, but you were right.

I asked a friend in a materials lab how to measure it, and as a result he brought over a really fancy contact measurement thermometer from his lab. The case running temp, connected to power and Ethernet, was 115.41F, ambient was 69.63F.  My little guy reported 114.1. 

Still, sounds great! Very pleased. :) 

Robert A. Heinlein

On 3/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, Paul R said:

It sounds great, but you were right.

I asked a friend in a materials lab how to measure it, and as a result he brought over a really fancy contact measurement thermometer from his lab. The case running temp, connected to power and Ethernet, was 115.41F, ambient was 69.63F.  My little guy reported 114.1. 

Still, sounds great! Very pleased. :) 

Most of these have a long probe that needs insertion into a medium to a prescribed depth. There are a few with flat surfaces which you can affix to the measured part.

Anyway, happy to see you are enjoying the unit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have experimented with upsampling via Roon to DSD 512 via microRendu to my Rossi LIO DAC 2.0, server Sonic Transporter i5 CDR.  I had gone back to no upsampling with DAC 2.0 on NOS Filter.  Playing with some cabling changes, I thought I would check sound presentation with upsampling via Roon to DSD 512 again.  Oddly, limit shown for microRendu now shows DSD 256, not DSD 512 as previous.  I know I recently accomplished Software Update via Software Manager.  I believe I had read there was recent update.  The SW Version had read 2.7 before the update with latest Version also reading 2.7 before update.  It still does, but there was a package download that applied.  Was something in this recent update that changes microRendu max DSD sample rate?

25 minutes ago, further said:

I have experimented with upsampling via Roon to DSD 512 via microRendu to my Rossi LIO DAC 2.0, server Sonic Transporter i5 CDR.  I had gone back to no upsampling with DAC 2.0 on NOS Filter.  Playing with some cabling changes, I thought I would check sound presentation with upsampling via Roon to DSD 512 again.  Oddly, limit shown for microRendu now shows DSD 256, not DSD 512 as previous.  I know I recently accomplished Software Update via Software Manager.  I believe I had read there was recent update.  The SW Version had read 2.7 before the update with latest Version also reading 2.7 before update.  It still does, but there was a package download that applied.  Was something in this recent update that changes microRendu max DSD sample rate?

Go back into Settings / RoonReady, select native DSD, and press Save.