IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Jesus, I know this has been asked a few times in this thread but I did not see a definitive answer. Will the microrendu ever have the capability to allow users to manually edit its networking parameters? In particular I am referring to manually editing its IP address, subnet, etc. If not, may I ask why? It seems like a simple feature that many much cheaper networked devices have standard.

I know I can connect the microrendu directly to my router/switch and based on its macid assign an IP address. However, I prefer to set the IP address in the device itself.

No plans to add this because we think the best place to fix the IP address is on your router.

Hi! Well, I am using microrendu for a while and although I am happy with a product there are some issues with it. What I hear from the first day is a huge and detailed sound like never before, but on voices and higher freq. I can notice harsh and sibilant tones and overall very thin sound. I am using iFi as a ps and Synology NAS with Logitec protocol on Nuprime dac/st 10. I have tried battery ps on rendu without any improvement. Please help! Tnx

Hi! Well, I am using microrendu for a while and although I am happy with a product there are some issues with it. What I hear from the first day is a huge and detailed sound like never before, but on voices and higher freq. I can notice harsh and sibilant tones and overall very thin sound. I am using iFi as a ps and Synology NAS with Logitec protocol on Nuprime dac/st 10. I have tried battery ps on rendu without any improvement. Please help! Tnx

My 2 cents:

Since your DAC is a Sabre DAC (ES9018), I think you'll probably improve on what you're hearing (substantially) if you put the microRendu in NAA mode and run HQPlayer (on a computer) and have it resample everything to DSD (and then send it to the microRendu).

Also, what are you using for a USB cable?

Were you using this DAC with something else before that sounded better?

Tnx Clipper!

Yes, it is a Saber chip and it was sounding very good over Macbook and Audirvana, also when Naim streamer, working as a player only, was connected with spdif cabel to Nuprime dac. I am using Supra usb cable and usb a-b adapter that comes with microrendu.

Since I have Synology NAS now with LMS, is it possible to install MQPlayer on NAS or it works only over computer, if not does any other mode on microrendu will help?

Tnx Clipper!

Yes, it is a Saber chip and it was sounding very good over Macbook and Audirvana, also when Naim streamer, working as a player only, was connected with spdif cabel to Nuprime dac. I am using Supra usb cable and usb a-b adapter that comes with microrendu.

Since I have Synology NAS now with LMS, is it possible to install MQPlayer on NAS or it works only over computer, if not does any other mode on microrendu will help?

You could compare with Tidal HiFi. Since adding microRendu I prefer Tidal over NAS somehow.

Synology NAS, LPS-1, microRendu, Job INTegrated, Penaudio Cenya.

Upgrading the power supply is your best bet. Battery supplies can be hit or miss because some are noisy and not properly isolated on the ground. Avoid hot swapping the power supply while testing. Most people are letting their units warm up / settle down for critical listening. As an alternate you can run Synology's DLNA server and run the unit in MPD/DLNA output mode.

Upgrading the power supply is your best bet. Battery supplies can be hit or miss because some are noisy and not properly isolated on the ground. Avoid hot swapping the power supply while testing. Most people are letting their units warm up / settle down for critical listening. As an alternate you can run Synology's DLNA server and run the unit in MPD/DLNA output mode.

Yes, I did oreder new PS from Uptone and waiting patiently till I receive one. Also, I have tried with MPD/DLNA output mode but everything remains the same, voices are sibilant and harsh, cymbals are blurred and thin... thats my biggest complaint. Alternatively, I will put wifi bridge between microrendu and modem or put optical isolation over media converters. Thank you for your support!

Folks, I have a question they may be stupid, as I can't find it mentioned anywhere. So... I am retiring my USB chain that included a Regen. (Shifting over to a microRendu + LPS-1 implementation.) My network will include a USB to Ethernet Adaptor from my PC.

Simply put, is there any reason to place a Regen before the USB to Ethernet Adaptor? Or is that too far from its intended purpose?

That might be a great new purpose I am very curious about, now you mention it. Before you know it you will buy another LPS-1 to power your USB powered ethernet connector :-)

Well funny you mention that, my next question was going to be whether the LPS-1 would have enough juice to power both the microRendu and the Regen from a Y-Cable.

I just like to share an experience. I like to do some different tests with the MicroRendu and LPS-1. Ethernet cables, isolates and FMC, and maybe also compare a couple of USB / spdif converters. (Have 2 LPS-1 available)

However every time I disconnect the network cable, I was not able to get the system seeing my Singxer F1. Several boot. I could not understand what was happening. Take hours.

My USB cable is Audioquest Coffee, and I never was thinking that cable may cause problems.

After the usual tried everything, it was the last ting to change. And a standard USB cable did the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I just like to share an experience. I like to do some different tests with the MicroRendu and LPS-1. Ethernet cables, isolates and FMC, and maybe also compare a couple of USB / spdif converters. (Have 2 LPS-1 available)

However every time I disconnect the network cable, I was not able to get the system seeing my Singxer F1. Several boot. I could not understand what was happening. Take hours.

My USB cable is Audioquest Coffee, and I never was thinking that cable may cause problems.

After the usual tried everything, it was the last ting to change. And a standard USB cable did the trick.

Bad USB cable, bad Ethernet cable, and cables that do not meet the spec for their intended use...I have seen it all.

Has anyone compared the combo of Uptone regen + Intona to microrendu alone? Let's say Uptone regen and microrendu is powered by Uptone LPS-1.

Any idea?

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Has anyone compared the combo of Uptone regen + Intona to microrendu alone? Let's say Uptone regen and microrendu is powered by Uptone LPS-1.

Any idea?

How would one do that?

The Regen is a USB-in, USB-out USB signal cleanup device.

The uRendu is an Ethernet-in, USB-out music renderer.

They are clearly entirely different classes of gear that do entirely different things.

Would be like comparing apples and squirrels.

The only thing they share is a USB-output to a DAC, just as the apple and squirrel are both carbon-based lifeforms.

Just asking...

Or am I missing something?

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

How would one do that?

The Regen is a USB-in, USB-out USB signal cleanup device.

The uRendu is an Ethernet-in, USB-out music renderer.

They are clearly entirely different classes of gear that do entirely different things.

Would be like comparing apples and squirrels.

The only thing they share is a USB-output to a DAC, just as the apple and squirrel are both carbon-based lifeforms.

Just asking...

Or am I missing something?

Greg in Mississippi

I know how micro-rendu and Uptone regen work.

But I'm just curious about the sound quality from them to DAC. Uptone regen + Intona with some decent USB cable like Curious cable vs microrendu with decent ethernet cable and USB cables.

Becasue someone told me microrendu is much better than Uptone regen, but I have no idea with the addition of Intona, whether it will have identical SQ to microrendu. Because I'm quite dependent on windows system and sending all signal through USB.

I know microrendu integrates an advanced regen and is designed by the same talented person, John.

I don't see the comparison I'm asking is somehow wrong or inappropriate.

People in this thread compares everything, CD system vs PC system. Hope you are not just picking on me. (your metaphor of apple and squirrel is just boring, to be honest)

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

I know how micro-rendu and Uptone regen work.

But I'm just curious about the sound quality from them to DAC. Uptone regen + Intona with some decent USB cable like Curious cable vs microrendu with decent ethernet cable and USB cables.

Becasue someone told me microrendu is much better than Uptone regen, but I have no idea with the addition of Intona, whether it will have identical SQ to microrendu. Because I'm quite dependent on windows system and sending all signal through USB.

I know microrendu integrates an advanced regen and is designed by the same talented person, John.

I don't see the comparison I'm asking is somehow wrong or inappropriate.

People in this thread compares everything, CD system vs PC system. Hope you are not just picking on me. (your metaphor of apple and squirrel is just boring, to be honest)

I'm not picking on you, really. BUT the sonics of a Regen->DAC are generally dominated by the sending computer. So you'd be comparing the sending device + Regen to uRendu. That just isn't a comparison of two devices, AFAIK. That IS why it is like comparing apples to squirrels.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

I'm not picking on you, really. BUT the sonics of a Regen->DAC are generally dominated by the sending computer. So you'd be comparing the sending device + Regen to uRendu. That just isn't a comparison of two devices, AFAIK. That IS why it is like comparing apples to squirrels.

Greg in Mississippi

Good to know you are not picking on me. I understand what you mean. I'm struggling to pick an option at the moment

Since I need to use HQplayer+Roon to do the upsampling to my exasound DAC. Even I pick microrendu, I still need a PC with powerful CPU to do the uncompromised HQplayer upsampling through microrendu.

That's why I asked with the addition of Intona, insolating the USB signal and power from PC, then sending it to Uptone regen, will the SQ of (Intona + Uptone regen) be similar to Microrendu.

Otherwise, I need to build a network with PC, microrendu connecting to the same router while USB channel of Intona + Uptone regen to PC is just a little bit simpler.

Hope you can understand. I'm not comparing the function but the sound quality through those two different formats.

Here's some excellent news for users of Audirvana Plus from the developer Damien Plisson:

And, though I'm not in the vaporware business ;), a hint on my roadmap: v3.1 will bring network streaming to devices like the µRendu

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Good to know you are not picking on me. I understand what you mean. I'm struggling to pick an option at the moment

Since I need to use HQplayer+Roon to do the upsampling to my exasound DAC. Even I pick microrendu, I still need a PC with powerful CPU to do the uncompromised HQplayer upsampling through microrendu.

That's why I asked with the addition of Intona, insolating the USB signal and power from PC, then sending it to Uptone regen, will the SQ of (Intona + Uptone regen) be similar to Microrendu.

Otherwise, I need to build a network with PC, microrendu connecting to the same router while USB channel of Intona + Uptone regen to PC is just a little bit simpler.

Hope you can understand. I'm not comparing the function but the sound quality through those two different formats.

I had a Regen and now have a microRendu. It is all about noise into the DAC and I found it is better to generate less noise (microRendu) than try to remove it (Intona or Regen). Power for microRendu is important. Noise into microRendu on ethernet wire is also important and many are using fibre media converters, FMC eg TP-LINK MC100CM, with attention to power for the downstream FMC (I use LPS-1, one for FMC and another for microRendu).

Any idea?

I have made this comparison:

General use pc (NAA), transparent USB, Intona industrial, curious USB, regen powered by Sonore signature power supply, Nordost USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Versus

Microrendu (NAA) powered by Sonore signature power supply, curious USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Playing JJ Cale bring down the curtain in PCM 44.1/16 the Intona/Regen combo is miles ahead

To be fair I must say the mR was cold when I tested

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

I have made this comparison:

General use pc (NAA), transparent USB, Intona industrial, curious USB, regen powered by Sonore signature power supply, Nordost USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Versus

Microrendu (NAA) powered by Sonore signature power supply, curious USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Playing JJ Cale bring down the curtain in PCM 44.1/16 the Intona/Regen combo is miles ahead

To be fair I must say the mR was cold when I tested

Beautiful, man. That's the comparison I'm talking about. Thumb up for your epic T+A DAC8 DSD. With the help of HQplayer upsampling everything to DSD512, it is the king of the PC hifi dac at the moment in my opinion. (But don't know whether the exasound new dac e32 will sound equally good or not )

I see people also using microrendu + Intona combo :)

When you mentioned "miles ahead", could u please be more specific in terms of sonic performance? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the intona/regen other way around? In my case, Intona first, Uptone regen comes to the next, in the middle, there is Vbus2 isolator. My uptone regen is currently powered by Sbooster BOTW LPS.

Recently placed the order of LPS-1 for my Uptone regen, hope the combo gets better.

I must say, the Sonore signature power supply is a beast. (A bit out of my budget).