IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

LMS and the SqueezeLite output mode are great. I'm surprised more people don't use it.

Thanks for the tip. I just got this up and running on my Synology NAS. I've never used LMS before. Using two carefully selected, well recorded test tracks (Elvin Bishop "Juke Joint Jump" from "The Best of Elvin Bishop - The Millenium Collection" and Jerry Garcia and David Grisman "Russian Lullaby" from "Jerry Garcia and David Grisman"), the mrendu, and a pair of Sennheiser HD700s, I have determined that LMS sounds better than Synology Audio Station, which in turn sounds better than JRiver. Of course, it could just be my imagination! ;-)

LMS and the SqueezeLite output mode are great. I'm surprised more people don't use it.

I have been running digital file playback since 2003, and thanks to you and the mRendu, (+LPS1), I've never had redbook level playback sound so great. It even sounds as good as, and often better, than spinning redbook discs on my Universal with digital inputs. (I am not saying that having an Universal Player with digital inputs is "better" than anything else, just saying that it does allow one to compare discs to digital file playback easier).

I run LMS/Squeezelite and so far, I haven't heard any evidence from anyone who has run both Roon and Squeezelite asserting that Roon has better SQ on redbook level playback.

Cheers,

I'm glad to hear good things from others regarding LMS and sound quality. I run LMS on my server (made by Small Green Computer) and Squeezelite on my microRendu. I get great sound but have only compared to one other method (MPD). Functionally LMS can't be beat. I use Folder mode, which iPeng does well, and I like the integration with Spotify. I don't think Roon does either of those. I also like being able to remove clutter in iPeng by having the ability to edit the menu.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I was very interested in MrUnderhill's post about the different mRendu modes. I'm relatively new to all of this. I've had my mRendu for about three months, started by setting it to DNLA mode to run with minimserver on my NAS, with Lumin as control app on my iPad, and have left that unchanged until today. In my naivety I had assumed one mode would not be significantly different from another in sound quality terms, with the differences being more about file types and resolutions that could be played.

I like the detail I am getting from my set up but I was intrigued by MrUnderhill's comments and so gave LMS and Squeezelite a try. Yes, there is more body, more bass and less hardness - yes, more viceral. But I still think I have lost some important detail compared to DNLA.

I am now encouraged to investigate this further. Is there an idiot's guide to these different modes that someone can point me to that will help me to better understand their differences; their strength's and their weaknesses? Do people tend to broadly agree on the relative sound quality characteristics of each? Thanks.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

I was very interested in MrUnderhill's post about the different mRendu modes. I'm relatively new to all of this. I've had my mRendu for about three months, started by setting it to DNLA mode to run with minimserver on my NAS, with Lumin as control app on my iPad, and have left that unchanged until today. In my naivety I had assumed one mode would not be significantly different from another in sound quality terms, with the differences being more about file types and resolutions that could be played.

I like the detail I am getting from my set up but I was intrigued by MrUnderhill's comments and so gave LMS and Squeezelite a try. Yes, there is more body, more bass and less hardness - yes, more viceral. But I still think I have lost some important detail compared to DNLA.

I am now encouraged to investigate this further. Is there an idiot's guide to these different modes that someone can point me to that will help me to better understand their differences; their strength's and their weaknesses? Do people tend to broadly agree on the relative sound quality characteristics of each? Thanks.

I would recommend relying on your own experience, in your own system, to decide what mode is best for you. Differences between modes will be system dependent. Personally, I love DLNA as I am a big fan of the accuracy of a Linux/MPD playback engine, but again, your results may vary!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

What is folder mode? How do you access that?

Most apps offer folder mode. It uses your folder structure instead of relying on tags. Tags aren't always reliable, depending on the app. I have all my music organized in folders by genre / artist / album, with good quality album art, so everything displays correctly. In iPeng, the first screen is:

IMG_0779.PNG

Then this:

IMG_0778.PNG

Etc.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Nice. Any way to do that in the LMS interface itself, do you know? I'm not using a phone or ipad. It seems I just have one "music" folder available to me. I'd love to be able to browse my folder structure. Thanks.

When you click on Music folder, or Disks and folders in the Web interface of LMS (usually in something like http://youserveripaddress:9000) you can browse your folders.

Sent from my D6633 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I use the free "Logitech Squeezebox Controller" found in the app store.

Ok I've installed LSC on iPad, logged in, LMS on Synology, selected Squeezelite on microRendu, selected Diskstation for library, radio plays but no library/albums show, what am I missing ? Have a sonicTransporter for Roon, is there a setting I need for it too ?

rogerdn

Hi str-1,

I think one of the great things about the mR is that the team have offered us a range of modes, and they do make a difference. When I did the last round I had thought that HQPlayer would be the standout, I was wrong.

I have done a lot of work on my network, power supplies & grounding. I found that these changes would highlight different things in what I heard, I think this can be due to an emphasis on different parts of the audio spectrum, as I honed my system some of the things being highlighted fell back into the soundscape, overall I could still hear them but I felt they had become a more cohesive part of what had been mixed. During my changes I swapped between LMS and DLNA and alway felt that LMS was slightly softer, more rounded. I was very surprised when having done my last change I just found it simply better. But, this is to my ears in my system.

The one mode I haven't tried is Roon, it offers no integration with Qobuz.

M

Hi str-1,

I think one of the great things about the mR is that the team have offered us a range of modes, and they do make a difference. When I did the last round I had thought that HQPlayer would be the standout, I was wrong.

I have done a lot of work on my network, power supplies & grounding. I found that these changes would highlight different things in what I heard, I think this can be due to an emphasis on different parts of the audio spectrum, as I honed my system some of the things being highlighted fell back into the soundscape, overall I could still hear them but I felt they had become a more cohesive part of what had been mixed. During my changes I swapped between LMS and DLNA and alway felt that LMS was slightly softer, more rounded. I was very surprised when having done my last change I just found it simply better. But, this is to my ears in my system.

The one mode I haven't tried is Roon, it offers no integration with Qobuz.

M

Thanks for that. I will persevere with this adventure of seeking ever-improving synergy and sound quality. This can be a frustrating hobby at times (am actually beginning to think of it as a hobby); often, it seems like one step forward and two steps back. Yesterday was a good day. Added an improved smps (iFi iPower) to my Netgear switch and heard the improvement. Still undecided between AQ Vodka and Diamond ethernet cables. Will soon have a SOtM sMS-200 to compare with the mRendu. Cheers

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

I will persevere with this adventure of seeking ever-improving synergy and sound quality.

I have been working at trying to get the best from the mR since I bought it a few months ago. I am now getting excellent results, although I will not fool myself by saying that I really understand why I am exhilarated by the sound quality I am now listening to.

I will be very interested in your report on the SOtM.

M

I received my Microrendu a couple of weeks ago and, like most everyone else I have been using it with the iFi iPower power supply and loving it. Yesterday the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 arrived (thanks Uptone for the early delivery!) and I plugged it in using a brand new DC-4 power cable from Sonore. I was prepared to be stunned - but - it really didn't sound much different to me than what I was hearing using the iFi iPower supply.

Fast forward one day, and the UltraCap LPS-1 has come to life - the sound of my system has become frighteningly good, I'm not going to repeat how others have described the improvements, suffice it to say I am floored by what I am hearing.

I'm trying to get my mind around why a power supply would need to break in... it's just power after all. But the sound quality difference from yesterday when I first plugged in the UltraCap to 24 hours later is night and day. Interesting, all of the other reviews I've read claim the UltraCap power supply transforms systems cold out of the box. That was not my experience. Could the system continue to improve from here due to the power supply? I suppose that's possible but I really don't need anything more than what I'm hearing now. I'm sure that the Sonore power cable is also responsible for some of the positive changes.

My mR ran very warm, but not too hot to touch. Nonetheless, I decided to get this extruded aluminum heat sink (1.813" wide by 3" long) for less than $15 (most of that cost was shipping and handling). It does not rest on the slightly raised ends.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31437[/ATTACH]

That is one mega heat sync:)

I received my Microrendu a couple of weeks ago and, like most everyone else I have been using it with the iFi iPower power supply and loving it. Yesterday the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 arrived (thanks Uptone for the early delivery!) and I plugged it in using a brand new DC-4 power cable from Sonore. I was prepared to be stunned - but - it really didn't sound much different to me than what I was hearing using the iFi iPower supply.

Fast forward one day, and the UltraCap LPS-1 has come to life - the sound of my system has become frighteningly good, I'm not going to repeat how others have described the improvements, suffice it to say I am floored by what I am hearing.

I'm trying to get my mind around why a power supply would need to break in... it's just power after all. But the sound quality difference from yesterday when I first plugged in the UltraCap to 24 hours later is night and day. Interesting, all of the other reviews I've read claim the UltraCap power supply transforms systems cold out of the box. That was not my experience. Could the system continue to improve from here due to the power supply? I suppose that's possible but I really don't need anything more than what I'm hearing now. I'm sure that the Sonore power cable is also responsible for some of the positive changes.

Thanks for posting your observations.