IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I have made this comparison:

General use pc (NAA), transparent USB, Intona industrial, curious USB, regen powered by Sonore signature power supply, Nordost USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Versus

Microrendu (NAA) powered by Sonore signature power supply, curious USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Playing JJ Cale bring down the curtain in PCM 44.1/16 the Intona/Regen combo is miles ahead

To be fair I must say the mR was cold when I tested

Interesting. Most folks find the Intona/Regen combo, myself included, works best with Intona first then Regen, Intona close to the USB audio card, Regen close to DAC.

Are you using a audiophile usb card? If so, how are you powering it? I think we should start a different thread. This is the mRendu thread.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

General use pc (NAA), transparent USB, Intona industrial, curious USB, regen powered by Sonore signature power supply, Nordost USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Versus

Microrendu (NAA) powered by Sonore signature power supply, curious USB into T+A DAC 8 DSD

Playing JJ Cale bring down the curtain in PCM 44.1/16 the Intona/Regen combo is miles ahead

I will say when I tested my i3 based NAA against the microrendu + LPS-1, the microrendu sounded superior.

That being said, I thought the test being asked for was the PC running HQP + Regen + Intona vs adding microrendu as an NAA?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

This is the mRendu thread.

Agreed, I'm also interested. Shall we go to the new thread just opened for further discussion (i.e. Sonicorbiter - Multichannel) ?

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

That being said, I thought the test being asked for was the PC running HQP + Regen + Intona vs adding microrendu as an NAA?

Correct. That's the comparison I want to know.

I'm struggling to pull the trigger for microrendu at the moment.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Agreed, I'm also interested. Shall we go to the new thread just opened for further discussion (i.e. Sonicorbiter - Multichannel) ?

Here would be best to discuss further, new thread I created. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/su-renderer-or-not-tis-question-31363/#post626928

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I'm struggling to pull the trigger for microrendu at the moment.

My wallet is struggling as well. This is purely a guess, but if you extrapolate my findings about adding an NAA to my system, then it would seem logical that the microrendu would be superior to what you have now. That being said, there is nothing logical in this hobby. Perhaps what you could is purchase a mini PC off Taobao and see? I got one for $125 but I already had an SSD and memory. Or maybe try a Pi3 as an NAA? If adding these NAA options sounds even a little bit better than your current setup then surely the microrendu will be better.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Beautiful, man. That's the comparison I'm talking about. Thumb up for your epic T+A DAC8 DSD. With the help of HQplayer upsampling everything to DSD512, it is the king of the PC hifi dac at the moment in my opinion. (But don't know whether the exasound new dac e32 will sound equally good or not )

I see people also using microrendu + Intona combo :)

When you mentioned "miles ahead", could u please be more specific in terms of sonic performance? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the intona/regen other way around? In my case, Intona first, Uptone regen comes to the next, in the middle, there is Vbus2 isolator. My uptone regen is currently powered by Sbooster BOTW LPS.

Recently placed the order of LPS-1 for my Uptone regen, hope the combo gets better.

I must say, the Sonore signature power supply is a beast. (A bit out of my budget).

normally I use the HTPC and NAA/Intona/Regen combo to serve DSD512 to the T+A but for this comparison i went back to native PCM and was surprised by the fact that NAA/Intona/Regen sounds much better than mR but even more so by the the quality of native PCM through NAA/Intona/Regen. native PCM sounded much more real than DSD to me on this recording in my system today.

I will leave the mR and Regen both powered for the next day and then retest and report back. I will also put the Intona in the chain for a test drive.

I used to have Regen before Intona but just this week I put the Intona in front and discovered this works much better in my system.

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

so yeah, I will retest NAA/Intona/Regen vs (warm) mR tomorrow and report back in Elvia's new thread

then I will also try and be a bit more specific about the differences in sq ;-)

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

Versus

I would suggest using the same USB cable into the DAC, as this is the first thing the DAC "sees" and may be having a large influence on the outcome.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

For grins I decided to try the microRendu with the Uptone LPS I'd been using with one of my audio systems, with a pair of powered speakers and USB DAC from LH Labs (original Geek Out) and Roon. Relatively inexpensive Logitech pair with sub. Quite an amazing improvement over running the DAC from my iMac. Guess I shouldn't have been so surprised.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I read in a Audio Video Revolution review that the mR sounds best, (more refined) with Roon and is superior to the DLNA setting. Any ring of truth to this?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

I read in a Audio Video Revolution review that the mR sounds best, (more refined) with Roon and is superior to the DLNA setting. Any ring of truth to this?

I had that experience when I moved from DLNA to Roon for my mRs. Not a huge difference, but enough for my wife (who has a great ear but does not pay any attention to the gear side of things) to notice on our speaker system. This was before I starting powering my mRs with UpTone LPS-1s. One possibility is that the mR is doing a lot less work handling the Roon RAAT protocol than when handling DLNA, and processor load has some impact on how much electrical noise sneaks from the mR to the DAC through the USB cable. In any case, Roon is so much better from the usability point of view than the UPnP/DLNA setups I've used in the past, that I won't bother with the hassle of a more controlled SQ comparison.

I'm going to differ from the guys above.

I have LPS-1 > DC cable with kimber cable and Oyaide DC jacks > microRendu > ifi Mercury USB > Schiit Yggy > yadda yadda

I prefered MPD over Roon. I found it had more low end and airiness around the instruments. My microrendu connects to my network with a tp-link wireless bridge also.

I have LPS-1 > DC cable with kimber cable and Oyaide DC jacks > microRendu > ifi Mercury USB > Schiit Yggy > yadda yadda

@JootecFromMars, I am very curious about the oyaide DC jacks. Did you change the microrendu female input jack? Or are you talking about the male barrel connectors of the dc cable?

Other components:

I have run my mR with both Roon and JRiver over the last couple of months, but never bothered to do a direct comparison. I am 'away from my system' at the moment, but am happy to try this at the weekend. (assuming I don't forget) I am actually very interested in this personally because I am thinking of dropping Roon once my one year sub runs out, but if Roon sounds better than JRiver / DLNA, this might be a factor in deciding to stick with Roon a little longer.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have run my mR with both Roon and JRiver over the last couple of months, but never bothered to do a direct comparison. I am 'away from my system' at the moment, but am happy to try this at the weekend. (assuming I don't forget) I am actually very interested in this personally because I am thinking of dropping Roon once my one year sub runs out, but if Roon sounds better than JRiver / DLNA, this might be a factor in deciding to stick with Roon a little longer.

Roon 1.3 will be out soon (any day now). I would suggest you wait until its release before evaluating it as the new version may bring with it further improvement in SQ. For sure, it will bring with it an improved feature set including parametric EQ and convolution. I have found SQ with Roon to have evolved/improved significantly over time. I used to find it to be more of a convenience because of its library skinning abilities but now I find it to be superior with respect to SQ.

My chain is presently as follows: modified Mac Mini / Paul Hynes SR7 > direct connect (no intermediary router/switch) > mR / Paul Hynes SR7 with 12 inch UP-OCC silver DC lead with Oyaide 2.1mm barrel > Clarity Cables Natural USB > Chord DAVE.

With this direct connection to mR (no router/switch), the gap between Roon 1.2 and MPD has grown even larger in Roon's favor in my system. Hopefully, Roon 1.3 will be even better. As always, YMMV, and so it's always best to listen and do your own comparisons but in my system, the differences aren't subtle.

If playing bit perfect, it won't matter which media player. But, computers designed to work better with different software could slant the favor or which media player performs with the least resources. That would make a difference.

If playing bit perfect, it won't matter which media player. But, computers designed to work better with different software could slant the favor or which media player performs with the least resources. That would make a difference.

I haven't found this to always hold true. As I also have a sonicTransporter, with my sonicTransporter in either MPD/DLNA mode or Roon mode, I have the option of powering it with my HDPlex 12V as well as my Paul Hynes SR7 12V. In both instances, the feed to my mR is bit-perfect and using the exact same resources but with my Paul Hynes powering the sonicTransporter, SQ is VASTLY improved compared against the HDPlex.

I haven't found this to always hold true. As I also have a sonicTransporter, with my sonicTransporter in either MPD/DLNA mode or Roon mode, I have the option of powering it with my HDPlex 12V as well as my Paul Hynes SR7 12V. In both instances, the feed to my mR is bit-perfect and using the exact same resources but with my Paul Hynes powering the sonicTransporter, SQ is VASTLY improved compared against the HDPlex.

My assumptions were with using the same PSU.

Roon 1.3 will be out soon (any day now). I would suggest you wait until its release before evaluating it as the new version may bring with it further improvement in SQ. For sure, it will bring with it an improved feature set including parametric EQ and convolution. I have found SQ with Roon to have evolved/improved significantly over time. I used to find it to be more of a convenience because of its library skinning abilities but now I find it to be superior with respect to SQ.

Checking in at the Roon forum it looks like you are correct, there are indeed changes in Roon 1.3 that are very likely to change sound quality. So thanks for the heads up! It would have been very annoying if I spent a couple of hours A/B testing, only to find A changing a few days later!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.