IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

+100

I see I'm running 2.1 but 2.3 is available. What will I get by going to 2.3? I don't want to be missing any bits or removal of veils but at the same time I'm not a fan of being the beta tester of new code either :)

All the updates are talked about on this forum. There is only one application in beta form and it's not listed in the official product pages. You can decide to participate in that testing or not.

What is the beta app?

SonoreUPnP Bridge most likely

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi Jesus!

Just wondered if you have seen one of the new Devialet Expert Pro units yet. They seem to have made some changes to the USB driver, at least the diagnostics and device reporting look different:

Devialet Pro.jpeg

Expert Pro 2.jpeg

Might this solve the sleeping issue?

The devialet is marketed as an all in one product. I don't want to take away sales of sonore but why why wouldn't you use air?

-Peach Audio Balanced Isolation Power Supply, Uptone LPS-1, Sonore Microrendu, Geek Pulse S Infinity, McIntosh MA2275, Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra

-Cambridge 752BD Oppomod PSU, Halcro MC50, Sonos ZP90 (Cullen Mod), Cyenne Audio CY-3100 DAC , Denon AVR4520, Aaron ATS-5, Aaron CC-250, Epos Epic 5, Cambridge Audio Azur 551R V2

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

The devialet is marketed as an all in one product. I don't want to take away sales of sonore but why why wouldn't you use air?

...because if you did you probably wouldn't be asking!

AIR has been more-or-less unstable (over both wired and wireless connections) since its inception. AIR 2 took a backward step, possibly as it was no longer a native implementation but was redeveloped on the Qt framework, presumably to facilitate portability. I have suffered chronic instability using AIR from an iMac to my D250, both legs wired via an enterprise-grade switch. AIR-over-wifi proved similarly unstable even when using a high quality access point with line-of-sight about 2m from the Devialet (although I suspect the instability had everything to do with AIR and nothing to do with the wifi connection). In every case streaming would suddenly stop and the AIR icon would just grey out for no obvious reason. This would necessitate a complex ritual of restarting the streamer, AIR, the Devialet etc until things jerked into life again, only to do exactly the same thing a few minutes later. Under these circumstances it doesn't take long to lose faith completely. It will be a loooong time before anybody coaxes me back to take another run at AIR, if ever.

So even though AIR 3 beta has been out for a while I haven't even been following the various threads to see how folks are getting on with it. If they are finding it stable and offering good SQ I'm happy for them. In the meantime my microRendu has been completely reliable and, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 has provided the best SQ I have ever experienced in the bigrig. The only irritation has been the slightly quirky behaviour of the Devialet when waking from sleep, although that may well be fixed with this new USB driver.

Devialet is promising a new "streaming board" early next year as part of the Pro upgrade. We'll see what that offers. All I will say is that the microRendu has set the bar pretty high!

Just to put all this in context I would have to say that the AIR debacle is so far the only major fly in the Devialet ointment from my perspective. It is an extraordinary product in so many ways, and continues to deliver nice surprises via firmware updates on a sporadic basis. I admire Devialet's engineering prowess and the boldness of their innovation. Can't wait to see what they come up with next!

I never had a problem with it but sad you have. It was the only thing good about devialet imo

-Peach Audio Balanced Isolation Power Supply, Uptone LPS-1, Sonore Microrendu, Geek Pulse S Infinity, McIntosh MA2275, Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra

-Cambridge 752BD Oppomod PSU, Halcro MC50, Sonos ZP90 (Cullen Mod), Cyenne Audio CY-3100 DAC , Denon AVR4520, Aaron ATS-5, Aaron CC-250, Epos Epic 5, Cambridge Audio Azur 551R V2

And thanks for assuming what I do or don't know but it is an understandable reaction to an overly expensive and crappy, unreliable product

And thanks for assuming what I do or don't know but it is an understandable reaction to an overly expensive and crappy, unreliable product

You're right, I fell into the trap of assuming that someone with a similar product would have had similar experiences. Time and again this is shown not to be the case. Over at devialetchat there are several threads where multiple owners report various AIR problems, but there are plenty of reasons why this might give a completely inaccurate picture of the user base as a whole. Once more 'assume' makes an ass of u and me, Sorry if I caused offence.

All good sorry I forgot back

Hi Jesus!

Just wondered if you have seen one of the new Devialet Expert Pro units yet. They seem to have made some changes to the USB driver, at least the diagnostics and device reporting look different:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31345[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31346[/ATTACH]

Might this solve the sleeping issue?

I haven't heard anything from Devialet customers or Devialet.

I have done a LOT of work refining my digital front end I thought I would briefly revisit the software I use. This was also keyed by wanting to listen to the mR in NAA mode, as I have read that this should offer an advantage as the mR does no processing, whereas in DLNA mode it does. I do not know where LMS sits wrt processing. Results:

Setup 1: Synology 1812 - Bubbleupnp / Kazoo / mR - DLNA Mode

Can tend towards sharp. Lacks a bit of body and bass.

Setup 2: Synology 1812 - LMS / mR - Sqeezelite Mode

Wow, excellent. Sharpness less than Setup 1. BODY & bass.

Setup 3: Synology 1812 - Media Server / Foobar2000 / mR - DLNA Mode

Foobar swaps the left and right channel! Compensated for via DSP.

No SOX or Equalisation.

Sound as Setup 1.

I still have the sharp S & T issue with a few tracks. Using VST in DSP allows me to cope with this by playing with the equalisation and dialing down 7-10kHz.

Setup 4: Synology 1812 - HQPlayer/ mR - NAA Mode

Run without processing/filters.Detailed. Sharpness much reduced. Not as visceral as Setup 2.

Conclusion

Before adding LPSUs, network filters and a line isolator between my DAC and preamp my preferred software was Setup 1.

Now the CLEAR winner is now LMS run on my Synology 1812 with Squeezelight on the mR.

M

I have done a LOT of work refining my digital front end I thought I would briefly revisit the software I use. This was also keyed by wanting to listen to the mR in NAA mode, as I have read that this should offer an advantage as the mR does no processing, whereas in DLNA mode it does. I do not know where LMS sits wrt processing. Results:

Setup 1: Synology 1812 - Bubbleupnp / Kazoo / mR - DLNA Mode

Can tend towards sharp. Lacks a bit of body and bass.

Setup 2: Synology 1812 - LMS / mR - Sqeezelite Mode

Wow, excellent. Sharpness less than Setup 1. BODY & bass.

Setup 3: Synology 1812 - Media Server / Foobar2000 / mR - DLNA Mode

Foobar swaps the left and right channel! Compensated for via DSP.

No SOX or Equalisation.

Sound as Setup 1.

I still have the sharp S & T issue with a few tracks. Using VST in DSP allows me to cope with this by playing with the equalisation and dialing down 7-10kHz.

Setup 4: Synology 1812 - HQPlayer/ mR - NAA Mode

Run without processing/filters.Detailed. Sharpness much reduced. Not as visceral as Setup 2.

Conclusion

Before adding LPSUs, network filters and a line isolator between my DAC and preamp my preferred software was Setup 1.

Now the CLEAR winner is now LMS run on my Synology 1812 with Squeezelight on the mR.

M

LMS and the SqueezeLite output mode are great. I'm surprised more people don't use it.

ipeng is very good. Graphically better than the free Logitech SB Controller. Functionally basically the same.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

So the free version doesn't work or just not very good ?

the Logitech app is free; iPeng is a paid app

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)