IGNORED

The $3K all in exercize.

plissken

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, don't stack something on top of your amp, blocking air ventilation (even if when done by the Hong Kong Marantz importer's own demonstrator) !

Been seeing news of PM6006 MSRP : $699 released :

« The PM6006 is an upgraded successor of the multi-award-winning PM6005. We've retained the pre-amp and power-amp sections that exclusively feature discrete components—not a single IC in sight of the signal path. The PM6006 is upgraded for peak current at the amplifier stage' date=' which makes it possible to refine the sound...[/b']

With CD6006 on top :

MARANTZ_2000-1000x666.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Fun thread and it reflects my view that it is not necessary to spend huge amounts to get great sound.  It's where I am now.

LS50 $1300

Grace M9xx, refurbished $280

Intel Nuc 5 PPYH $200 (had a leftover windoze license and other bits)

4 tb external drive $100

Generic stands $100

25 lb of lead shot $30

14 ga solid copper speaker wires $15

leftover cables and other bits...

65" LED TV  $700

That leaves $300...

That seems very low end. I doubt I would continue to be an audiophile if I was stuck with a system like that forever.

Thanks for asking! :)

Probably, well sorted active speakers which would use up most of the budget, with a simple, low cost source device - I haven't checked the offerings anywhere near well enough to make a recommendation, and new ones keep popping up; the latest may in fact be the best ...

Ones with a solidly made cabinet, which would be easy to make more rigid by adding mass to stabilise their positioning in the room - quite often, smaller is better here.

Can't go by brand, the model would have to be heard in the flesh to decide - one of the worst I heard was from Dynaudio; which also provided the big speakers in the best rig I've heard at an audio show ... I would check a lot of subjective impressions expressed around the place, as a starting point.

43 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

How would you know, you haven't heard it.  Besides, PC>USB>DAC is a pretty standard setup used by nearly all professional reviewers.  Are you one of these guys who thinks streaming is the only way to go?

I dont know, hence use of the word 'unlikely'.  Heard hundreds of similar set ups though and they sound nothing like music to me.

What sounds like music? When it has the ability to fool you; there are no, or almost no giveaways as to what the source of the sound is, real or fake - no matter whether you listen intently, or merely have it running as background filler, it sends all the right messages to your brain ... this means that any recording delivers the satisfaction that experiencing a live event provides.

Speaker System:  Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures — $1,400.00 (Used)

Power Amplifier:  Schiit Audio Vidar — $700.00 (New)

Preamplifier/DAC:  Schiit Audio Lyr 3 — $540.00 (New)

Interconnects:  AudioQuest Black Mamba II — $170.00 (New)

Speaker Cables:  AudioQuest GBC — $140.00 (New)

HDMI To USB Cable:  AudioQuest Forest — $40.00 (New)

Total Price:  $2,990.00 + Existing HP Laptop PC & Western Digital My Passport HD (2 TB)

—Charles—

Omega Super 3i - $700

IsoAcoustics Aperta Isolation Stands - $200

Ohm MicroSubwoofer 10 - $600 for a pair

Decware SE84UFO - $1000

Bluesound Node 2 - $500

This $3000 system sounds a whole lot better than it ought to and has been a great introduction to the world of SET/HE speakers. There is a bevy of upgrade options to further refine the SQ as time goes on but I have enough gear in storage to keep me happy for now.

KEF LS50W  $2200

Oppo UDP-203  $550

A little left over for some decent stands, connect to your computer if you want.  Enjoy some magnificently performed (and beautifully recorded) Sibelius on BIS CD or SACD.

Don't have a clue how poorly recorded pop/rock/rap will sound on this setup, nor do I care how boring "audiophile" dreck like Diana Krall (today's Amanda McBroom? lol) will sound, since she is talentless as a singer and as a pianist.  Ella Fitzgerald, however, sounds great!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

14 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Don't have a clue how poorly recorded pop/rock/rap will sound on this setup, nor do I care how boring "audiophile" dreck like Diana Krall (today's Amanda McBroom? lol) will sound, since she is talentless as a singer and as a pianist.  Ella Fitzgerald, however, sounds great!

I must like drek.  FWIW, Diana Krall is one of the best sellers on Amazon.  I love Ella too.

3 minutes ago, chaskelljr1963 said:

Yes, they do.

I would use this to plug my PC into an external DAC, or in my hypothetical system listed in my post, a Preamplifier/DAC.

Here it is, right here.

Enjoy Your Day.

--Charles--

120322184870215e23950b88e2.jpg

That's USB A to USB B, not HDMI to USB

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

a couple of the trolls are after you, Ron

you might want to test if galv. isolation helps with your setup

the only real issue with great sound for $3,000 is in getting the very low bass

Yeah buddy, the trolls are feeding.  I am part way on the power supply for the DAC.  A Grace M9xx has a second USB 1.5 amp input so the power comes from a Samsung phone charger and not the computer.  I also tested it with iPad power supply, but couldn't detect the difference.  Anyway, it's not getting 5v off the computer.  Low bass isn't going to happen with LS50's.  I am using 3db of boost @ 43hz and a 2 octave bandwidth to approximate the frequency response of an LS50w in its default mode.  I suspect those who claim great superiority for the LS50w are hearing the bass.  Differences in frequency response are the easiest thing to detect.

Those who have spent a lot on their systems don't want to hear that it can be done for less.

17 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Yeah buddy, the trolls are feeding.  I am part way on the power supply for the DAC.  A Grace M9xx has a second USB 1.5 amp input so the power comes from a Samsung phone charger and not the computer.  I also tested it with iPad power supply, but couldn't detect the difference.  Anyway, it's not getting 5v off the computer.  Low bass isn't going to happen with LS50's.  I am using 3db of boost @ 43hz and a 2 octave bandwidth to approximate the frequency response of an LS50w in its default mode.  I suspect those who claim great superiority for the LS50w are hearing the bass.  Differences in frequency response are the easiest thing to detect.

Those who have spent a lot on their systems don't want to hear that it can be done for less.

Regarding the part I highlighted (bold), most probably started out with less, and were probably even happy with those earlier systems.  They might not remember, or want to remember, or to be reminded of how far "down the rabbit hole" they have gone through the years.  And then others might simply find it hard to believe that some things can be wonderful and still be really cheap.  I think it's amazing that the actual DAC chips from TI and other manufacturers can be so inexpensive.  Aren't most of them under $15 or so?  That's mind-boggling to me, while things that are actually easy to fabricate can be so expensive.

Also, many people were probably unlucky with their earliest systems, and may believe that it was the cheapness (in cost) that was at fault, rather than the fact that there will always be a lot of junk out there for sale, at whatever price point.  I was steered toward KEF at a fairly early age (1987, as a freshman in college), so I was lucky, I think.

And then some people are just unhappy and might want to spread that around, whether it's insisting that inexpensive always equals junk, or saying that expensive things are always a waste of money/overpriced/snake oil.