IGNORED

The $3K all in exercize.

plissken

The OP, Plissken, was a thought experiment, not him trying to find an actual system.

Yes, you be supportive, you make your recommendations, and be happy that he enjoys music as much as you (maybe?) do.  If you want everyone to enjoy what you consider High End Sound, then you should be offering to pay for it.  Speaking of which, I need a check for 24K to reimburse me for my recent upgrades...

edit:  I'll make you a deal and subtract the amount I sold my replaced gear for...

No electron left behind.

10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

The OP, Plissken, was a thought experiment, not him trying to find an actual system.

Yes, you be supportive, you make your recommendations, and be happy that he enjoys music as much as you (maybe?) do.  If you want everyone to enjoy what you consider High End Sound, then you should be offering to pay for it.  Speaking of which, I need a check for 24K to reimburse me for my recent upgrades...

So why the hypocrisy? Why aren’t you recommending components that you consider good?

1 minute ago, GUTB said:

So why the hypocrisy? Why aren’t you recommending components that you consider good?

Did you read the first page of this discussion?  I don't think so, or you would have seen my recommendations. Furthermore, what does that have to do with your comments and hypocrisy on my part?

No electron left behind.

11 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Setting aside her motives, was your mother right? Would you have been better off if you had listened to her?

It varied.  Sometimes I was overweight, but she would say the same when I wasn't.  Back when she first started saying this my teeth were yellowed, but she would say the same after they were whiter (enough not to be noticeably yellow).  And I didn't actually start noticeably balding until probably a couple of decades after she began talking about it.

As far as following her advice, she gave little.  It was primarily criticism. :) Is it better not to be overweight and does it look nice to have bright white teeth? Sure. If I talk to anyone about weight, I do so only if invited and try to be practical and encouraging, since discouragement and criticism of appearance really isn't an effective way to help folks live healthier.  As far as thinning hair, that always made me chuckle.  It's nature's way and the last thing I care about.

11 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I don’t want to ignore your analysis of me out of hand, I strive to be reality-based and get past my ego. It’s an interesting thought. In exchange, don’t you see that you’re being somewhat hypocritical by having a much higher end system than OP and pretending that he’s well positioned in audiophilia?

On the contrary, I have an office system I love listening to that cost far less than $3000.  It's quite possible to get what I feel is very fine sound in this price range, and I've enjoyed the wide range of ideas that have been shared about how to do it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 hours ago, GUTB said:

I’m neurotypical. That’s the truth.

Did you dictate the evaluation letter to your doctor?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

17 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I run 2 turntables...  What does that make me?

A DJ? :P

20 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

You're the second to make that Joke...  ha!

Yes, I saw the other as I was reading down the thread. Sorry about that. :D

2 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

There is a bit of stereotyping going on here.  I know all there is to know about Jewish mothers...

Is Scubadiver a common Jewish last name?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

It delves into stereotypes.  Not that many Jewish women are so critical.  Believe me, I know tons of them, and many are close relatives.  

they all kvetch...i know..i am married to one and never met one that didn't....the good part is they all cook, almost makes up for lack of sex.

1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

It delves into stereotypes.  Not that many Jewish women are so critical.  Believe me, I know tons of them, and many are close relatives.  

Critical isn't even the stereotype.  It's being able to elicit feelings of guilt from others.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Critical isn't even the stereotype.  It's being able to elicit feelings of guilt from others.

i thought that was catholicism...

kvetching doesn't necessarily elicit feelings of guilt.

I have had my share of both....that's why the beer and early retirement....that's why i enjoy jimmy buffet, the beach, and margaritaville....