IGNORED

The $3K all in exercize.

plissken

Hey Now,

This is what I got and it is the best I have heard computer audio in my system:

$275 Speakers - Omega Super 3Ts (used)

$85 Bucket subs - DIY

$650 Decware Super Zen drives Omegas (used)

$190 Crown XLS-1500 drives bucket subs

$325 iFi Micro DSD DAC/HPA (used)

$26 AQ Dragontail

$180 Regen

$30 AQJitterBug (used)

$250 DIY NUC SuperStreamer w/AudioLinux

$100 HQPlayer (upsample everything to DSD256)

$450 Roon

Total $1981, some new some used. I already had a 5K iMac i5 and network.

This sounds terrific to me. I don't want to quit listening to my system, not getting much sleep lately. Really enjoying it.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

If my apartment burned down, I would audition this one first. With Music Direct's 60 day satisfaction guarantee.

iFi Retro Stereo 50 System

iFi.jpg

Tubes: 2 x ECF82; 4 x EL84X

PCM: 768/705.6/384/352.8/192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1kHz

DSD 512/256/128/64: 24.6/22.6/12.4/11.2/6.2/5.6/3.1/2.8MHz

DXD: 768/705.6/384/352.8kHz

LS3.5 Bookshelf Speakers Modeled on Legendary LS3/5A Monitors

The total system price is $1,999, that leaves me with $1,001 for headphones, Blu-ray/SACD player and computer.

I love the looks and it uses tubes! :)

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 4 weeks later...
Incidentally' date=' my girlfriend often quotes [b']Lagerfeld[/b] quoting Voltaire :

« Everything that needs an explanation or description is not worth it. »

Lagerfeld quoting Voltaire? This "quote" seems very far from the world of Voltaire and looks more to me like a twisted translation of Nietzsche in Götzen-Dämmerung:

Was sich erst beweisen lassen muß, ist wenig werth

She read it in :

382282187X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lagerfeld quoting Voltaire? This "quote" seems very far from the world of Voltaire and looks more to me like a twisted translation of Nietzsche in Götzen-Dämmerung:

Was sich erst beweisen lassen muß, ist wenig werth

Incidentally' date=' my girlfriend often quotes [b']Lagerfeld[/b] quoting Voltaire :

« Everything that needs an explanation or description is not worth it. »

To quote myself quoting Poe :

And it'd more accurate to say I'm a friend of Ken Ishiwata (their Europe based engineer) but work for Edgar Allan Poe :

« All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. »

Incidentally :

Just curious:

Does the Mobile Fidelity UltraDisc of The Alan Parsons Project's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" have the narrations by the late Orson Welles on Track 1 ("A Dream Within a Dream") and Track 6 ("The Fall of the House of Usher" : I. Introduction)?

Thanks!

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Whatever.

I agree.

The Ill-Tempered Audiophool

I think I am need of a bit of a break from here.

I enjoy a good heated discussion as much as anyone, but being repeatedly stalked in "cyber-space," having my photograph ripped off my employer's website and posted here without my permission, and being accused (falsely) of making "racist" comments against Australians (with not one shred of evidence ever offered), makes me realize my non-anonymous presence here could potentially harm my job, my personal and professional reputation, and may invite injury to my friends, family, research group, colleagues and associates. (The fact that this can happen over something as trivial as discussions about audio file checksums and the roles of measurement and scientific inquiry is troubling and bizarre.)

I've spent the last few days reflecting on this, and now realize what a pointless waste of time this has become, and how it has detracted from my enjoyment of music, family, and life in general. For awhile, I did not want to give the bullies the satisfaction of knowing they drove me away, but that really is not a compelling reason to continue.

My hope is the blog postings, if nothing else, might help a few people out. I considered deleting them, but insofar as they might have some value to Chris and the website, I don't want to do any more damage than has already been done.

Paul has previously posted the suggestion that we all use our own names. Perhaps doing so would make people think twice before they do crazy and possibly illegal stuff, if they did not think they could hide behind the cloak of anonymity. I think either that should be the case, or everyone should be anonymous.

Best wishes to everyone.

Bill

«

an accurate picture

I think that's a quote from the chapter about Socrates in Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols. It means "What has to be proved first is not worth much". In light of this this, one assumes that old Fred used cheap cables.

The Elacs are great sounding boxes but I think they'd be a better anchor in a $1500 system personally. Not crazy about their finish either but I love real wood so I'm biased as regards how a speaker looks in a room.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23557[/ATTACH]

+1 on real wood!

These are beautiful and sound superb and can be found for under $1K used.

IMG_1422_zpsgfn9o09c.jpg

Question: Can Wilhelm make a post that doesn't include a picture or a quote from someone else?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hate-mongering ‽

Question: Can Wilhelm make a post that doesn't include a picture or a quote from someone else?

Sometimes, like now, I quote to fix what I'm answering before the text changes—within that 30min grace.

And here's proof of a disgraceful bigot you and your type fester

«

an accurate picture

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I get great sound from my recently purchased second hand Marantz PM6005 Integrated with built in DAC (US $700 new)

Been seeing news of PM6006 MSRP : $699 released :

« The PM6006 is an upgraded successor of the multi-award-winning PM6005. We've retained the pre-amp and power-amp sections that exclusively feature discrete components—not a single IC in sight of the signal path. The PM6006 is upgraded for peak current at the amplifier stage, which makes it possible to refine the sound for you in much more detail.

You can connect this superb integrated amplifier directly to a vast range of digital sources and use its superior 24bit/192kHz high current CS4398 DAC to create an unbelievably high level of audio enjoyment with new media. The unit now includes 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital inputs (an additional optical input from the predecessor, PM6005), and the complete digital section is fully shielded by an extra metal housing to ensure that the digital stage has no effect on the analog signal.

All of the original features—such as five-line audio input including phono, two-pairs of gold-plated speaker connections with the convenience of bi-wiring, and a remote handset—are all still there. The lower impedance shielded Toroidal transformer, as well as customized components and unique Marantz HDAM modules care for powerful, dynamic and detailed original Marantz sound. In short, the new PM6006 is a new star with excellent genes. »

162-1000x666.jpg

172-1000x666.jpg

MARANTZ_2024-1000x750.jpg

221-1000x666.jpg

With CD6006 on top :

MARANTZ_2000-1000x666.jpg

«

an accurate picture

As Post #123 of this Thread may not have reached you, I'll explain it afresh.

It's true, I've only 7 or 9 good friends. Acquaintances, of course, don't count ?

And Ken is one of my good friends whose work I study...

Why don't you see me supporting Mike who (was the previous Marantz importer and) still imports Hi-Fi into New Zealand ? Because importers are, metaphorically, messengers-who-deliver rather than are the-writers-of-letters.

Do you know, personally or not, who led the engineering of every product that are in your music system ? Well, I know mine.

Here are some already made public photos proving the 2001 demonstration when I was introduced to Ken :

430000_10150697319816075_1002908840_n.jpg?oh=76863d00023c9e96d037db27fbd715e8&oe=57D10187

423770_10150697320096075_731475927_n.jpg?oh=80a6db0866f7a2db4675e2e3451168e2&oe=57DA6D2B

421628_10150697320346075_1182780497_n.jpg?oh=a21dbac2f931e47393bb0adcc2905a37&oe=57DE33DD

404832_10150697320651075_253886027_n.jpg?oh=5b6f1ab866ed3ba4c80ae59de337080a&oe=57D3EE72&__gda__=1474126661_e1df3c0bb22dab8583857098f6a829d6

And link here for brands Mike now distributes (yes, he still has rights to Jamo loudspeakers) :

65878_10150697319516075_916621929_n.jpg?oh=892aaa9c7faa4c57f40cddac83f17814&oe=57D3AE56

And it's known I play Hi-Fi through Ken's work—since 1999 when I became friends with Michael Wildash' date=' the previous [b']Marantz[/b] importer for New Zealand, befriending KI during his 2001 visit...

With my various interest, not least reading and the outdoors, I simply support Ken's work by studying what to buy from Marantz to keep up (especially) with any current-media I want to play.

Why would I scavenge various brands to form a system, systems ?

Incidentally, the brands that Mike now distributes :

wildashaudio.co.nz (if I want too to study and support)

«

an accurate picture

Aries Mini $549

Linear Tube Audio Microzotl 2 $1100

Spatial Hologram M4 turbo $1595

actual price comes in at $3250 for a 1w amp driving a 93db efficient lightning fast speaker. On paper this sounds like a pretty awesome combination with an electro static like level of performance as long as you aren't into "the power and the fury" of low bass pipe organ or seeking "break the lease" volume levels.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...

PM6006, came across Japanese charting of its 42% improvement in « momentary current » capability :

26_2.jpg

Recalling higher priced PM8005 (MSRP : $1,199) example :

Recalling these Marantz graphs' date=' from one generation to the next, of [/font']« momentary current » capability :

pm8005_3.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Here's my play:

Squeezebox touch $300

Wyred 4 Sound mINT $1100

Silverline Audio Minuet Supreme Plus speakers $600

Black Cat Audio coax cable $100

Transparent Audio MusicWave Plus speaker cables $250

Transparent Audio MusicWave Super IC $150

Schiit Bifrost Uber Ulta Analog USB $300 (later upgraded to Multibit $250)

Substitute Raspberry Pi Digi+ for SBT -$200

Add Vortexbox server +$150

Add endless fiddling, season to taste [$ small fortune]

Serves one, sort of.