IGNORED

USB Disruptor

Rob, have you had a chance to mention to your engineer friend the test I proposed to see if your Disruptor is operating as you have suggested it might?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Rob, have you had a chance to mention to your engineer friend the test I proposed to see if your Disruptor is operating as you have suggested it might?

Hi Jud, thanks for asking. Here's what he said:

Impulse test is theoretically useful measure for filters. It basically shows how the filter shapes and delays signals in the time domain. It might be possible to construct an impulse in MATLAB the same way that I made the sine waves and then send this through the DAC chain, but I don't know how well we could test this. I think the sine test is more representative as it gives more time to sample and FFT the signal. However, the impulse test would give the time domain response that everyone wants to see. Maybe a square wave test would show the same thing and be much easier to capture on a scope. Let me mull it over and see what I can come up with.

As you can see there are challenges, perhaps he'll think of a way to do it.

Hi Jud, thanks for asking. Here's what he said:

Impulse test is theoretically useful measure for filters. It basically shows how the filter shapes and delays signals in the time domain. It might be possible to construct an impulse in MATLAB the same way that I made the sine waves and then send this through the DAC chain, but I don't know how well we could test this. I think the sine test is more representative as it gives more time to sample and FFT the signal. However, the impulse test would give the time domain response that everyone wants to see. Maybe a square wave test would show the same thing and be much easier to capture on a scope. Let me mull it over and see what I can come up with.

As you can see there are challenges, perhaps he'll think of a way to do it.

Rob, you have more excuses than a politician with bad poll numbers.

I love your Buckaroo Banzai pic! I thought I recognized that. Big Boo TAY!

Don't tug on that ... :)

Have you considered that if you kill the power connection from the source, it means the power never leaves the chip itself, so maybe it can't leak into the data lines in the first place. Just wondering if you considered that possibility, because you say to everyone that "replacing the power supply provides limited benefit" but that is not the experience I have had personally, nor my many clients.

John Swenson has written much about this topic, the way that suboptimal SI on data lines can transmit noise between systems. He does a great job of explaining some widely accepted principles of high speed digital design. One of the reasons that high quality power is important is that it affects the phase noise profile of the clock oscillator it is powering, but that is not the only thing that affects phase noise (for example). There are other types of noise to be considered as well. Another principal is that the circuit needs to do more work to recover the data when SI is suboptimal and this itself generates more noise. Yes power is important but not the only thing that is important.

Think about it this way: a good USB DAC receiver doesn't use USB power at all, instead properly isolating the input USB signal from the output I2S signal which is itself repowered and reclocked.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Don't tug on that ... :)

John Swenson has written much about this topic, the way that suboptimal SI on data lines can transmit noise between systems. He does a great job of explaining some widely accepted principles of high speed digital design. One of the reasons that high quality power is important is that it affects the phase noise profile of the clock oscillator it is powering, but that is not the only thing that affects phase noise (for example). There are other types of noise to be considered as well. Another principal is that the circuit needs to do more work to recover the data when SI is suboptimal and this itself generates more noise. Yes power is important but not the only thing that is important.

Think about it this way: a good USB DAC receiver doesn't use USB power at all, instead properly isolating the input USB signal from the output I2S signal which is itself repowered and reclocked.

I thought this was pretty interesting, his comments about ethernet too:

[h=5]Hi Rob,[/h][h=5]First let me say that I’m the worst person at articulating what I hear so if I don’t make sense, it’s me not you. Second, I quiet like their.. umm.. format. A similar thing I had before was an iFi iPurifier which is a rigid piece and I always felt it must have loaded my usb port funny (as in supplying a moment/torque where there’s supposed to be very little) so your seem more suitable for sticking on the back of a DAC and forgetting about it.[/h][h=5]So what do I think of your disruptors sound-wise? I use them in 2 different setups. The first is my umm.. desktop setup using an Antipodes DX server into a Schiit Gungnir (old version, but USB gen 2) and then to a Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold headphone amp, ending up with a pair of LCD3’s or HD800. With this setup, (using LCD3’s) notes seem tighter. It’s only marginal, but there’s definitely more bite to guitars and drum beats. Definition seems better all-round which is nice. The changes are subtle, but then again, as far as USB sources go, I think my Antipodes DX is one of the better ones out there. (I’ve tried a few other USB tweaks and actually found no improvement at all, so well done!) Definitely “tighter”. Like everything went more “Dire Straits”, if you see what I mean.[/h][h=5]The second set up is mac mini->PS Audio Direct Stream. This is a speaker setup but at the moment I’m using a really crap amp driving budget speakers so hardly fair. A $6k DAC into a $199 amp and to $299 speakers! On this there’s certainly an improvement again in simply the… “clarity” of the sound. I can’t really point out where it is in the frequency spectrum, but it really did make the speakers sound a touch less confused like they normally do. What I really noticed with this is a little long so bear with me. My PS Audio DAC actually has an ethernet input – this takes files from a DLNA server into the DAC’s i2s input and from a budget SYNOLOGY NAS, this is the best input for this DAC, imo. While USB for this DAC is pretty amazing, ethernet beats it quite clearly. What’s nice about your disruptor is that it seems to take USB quite a bit closer to the LAN route. It doesn’t quite beat it, but I am now happy to compromise and go with USB’s combination of sq and convenience.[/h][h=5]So, sadly I can’t give you any jumping up and down with excitement type comments simple-smile.png but I think for the price, these things are hard to beat. A complete no-brainer for anyone with a USB DAC and honestly, I think they will show themselves more clearly in lesser systems for sure. If I have the opportunity, I will try it on my lesser systems and see what they do.[/h][h=5]Congratulations on making something really great value in hifi. Such things are rare indeed. Best of luck![/h]

Are you sort of implying / pretending that John Swenson wrote that to you?

He is implying/pretending that he came up with something new that is worthy of a patent !

Absolute rubbish. There is NOTHING new about what he has done !!!

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

But yeah... Computer Audiophile - CA - Where HiFi and High Tech Converge. Cya, you aren't going to get any traction selling a product like that in this forum buddy. I'd recommend computer audiophile if you intend on snatching $79 from peoples hands

It appears that the majority of C.A. members aren't as gullible as has been suggested !

I don't want to discuss my intellectual property here, but I find it interesting that you are from Australia, know so much about US patent law, and you have amazing psychic abilities for knowing that "NOTHING" new has been accomplished. Do you have any stock tips, the market might be good to buy some stock?

It seems that you had to resort to BOLD type in your last reply , which is the equivalent of shouting, in an effort to try and save face in this thread where you have received very little support.

If U.S. Patent law lets you get away with basing your product on the clearly documented combined work of many others, simply because they didn't apply for patents, then it is a complete farce !

REPLY 125 sums it all up pretty well.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

If U.S. Patent law lets you get away with basing your product on the clearly documented combined work of many others, simply because they didn't apply for patents, then it is a complete farce !

I think Prior Art is the term used in patent law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior_art

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

It appears that the majority of C.A. members aren't as gullible as has been suggested !

It seems that you had to resort to BOLD type in your last reply , which is the equivalent of shouting, in an effort to try and save face in this thread where you have received very little support.

REPLY 125 sums it all up pretty well.

The post you quote is not published. I was trying to figure out why you're so upset about the patent status of a device you've never seen or tried.

Did you create a similar product but never bring it to market? Do you have a similar product for sale now? I would be interested to sell more products on my site to give folks more of a selection and exposure to different methods and philosophies.

In fact, if any of you guys have USB Disruptor type products but maybe are not the best at Internet marketing, ads, design, etc., I'm happy to help. You can sell your products on my site. I'm not writing this to be sarcastic, I'm serious. I absolutely love my stereo, I'm so over obsessed it's uncanny. But it's high art, the highest, higher than Opera (that's a philosophy joke, Neitzche thought Opera was the highest art form because it embodied music, art work, and acting, well he never heard CSN Wooden Ships on my stereo!) I think that was Neitzche anyway.

I am truly dedicated to finding a way to bring blissful audio to as many people as possible, which means a much more mainstream product is needed. I am pretty tired of people not having HiFi's anymore. In the 1970's there was a HiFi shop in every town. People had them, it was better - people were way happier and I think the music had a lot to do with it.

Social visits are inordinately loaded with Bluetooth one-speaker solutions - it's the new HiFi, so small, so convenient. And like they spent so much on the home, gorgeous houses, plenty of room, and a crappy Bluetooth one box. I just see this over and over, it's like the majority have totally gone bananas.

The USB Disruptor and its derivatives are just the beginning, it's the beginning of a development cycle that I hope leads to more people, way more people, getting involved in HiFi.

The HiFi market is tiny, like $300M. The big dollars, billions, go to Sonos, Beats, Bose, etc. To me that's crazy, CRAZY! I'm shouting because those products are just not the "end" they so desperately, and effectively I might add, want us to believe.

So you can see I'm working on a much larger goal, and would really like other folks to get involved. I mean that, I think the market needs to be taken back from the one boxes and it's going to need some collaboration to succeed.

IMHO this thread us effectively free advertising for the product (albeit bad advertising). Any comment will be rebuffed and the free advertising continue. If nobody responds, the thread will disappear.

It's a good way to get people talking, which seems to be working. It's also a good place to alert folks to new products. And with that, and a lot of requests from people, we've introduced a USB cable that simply cuts the 5 volt power lead for DAC's that don't need the 5 volt power. It's called DaBigGenius™ No 5 Volt Audio Grade USB Cable

I know that DIY's can build this, though our DaBigGenius™ cables do incorporate external USB cable fittings that don't carry current, which is not always the case with USB cables. Also, some folks don't have the various tools and expertise to make this kind of cable, nor the will or inclination.

So if your DAC doesn't need the 5 volt power, and you don't want to make your own cables, then this is a low cost ($35) alternative to a lot of other dirty USB power solutions sometimes costing quite a bit more.

Finally, can someone please help me understand how this USB cable can possibly sell for $9000 - Crystal Cable's Crystal USB Absolute Dream

Anybody on here own this cable?

Even I saw that one coming. LOL

Took too long though, 9 pages of free advertising.

And all of it was subjective about why and how his system and his music sounded better with the equipment he was selling.

Not an iota of objective data. Even the arguments and rebuttals were turned into free advertising by Mr Rob. Either the dumbest or the most manipulative marketer of all time…

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

You've been banned rob. Too much advertising, even after warnings.

Could have done all the advertising he wanted, but too cheap to buy space.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

... there, that's better, personally I would delete the entire tread.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen