IGNORED

Uptone Regen and your DAC. What DAC do you use?

Believe me, early on I searched high and low for a PCB-mount USB 'B' plug--they don't exist.

Sir Crespi, I would never doubt your willingness to go the extra mile! ?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Because you're not in the UpTone Audio sweat shop building REGEN's.

With summer approaching, it will indeed soon be a sweat shop. And where I am it gets up over 100F! Been eyeballing big swamp coolers, but I need to run 240V into the space first. Want to expand the electrical there anyway. Could easily do it myself if I had the time (and the energy to move racks and desks out of the way). May just give the electrician dad of one our son's friends some business.

So are you going to tell us how you "lost" your REGEN Jason?

--AJC

I do not yet have my Regen but I have been planning how to fit it between my pc and iFi iDSD micro dac WITHOUT using any cables. As a first step I purchased a flexible male to female adaptor, this I have fitted between an iFi iUSB unit and the iDSD and it works extremely well. It also shows that a right angle power adaptor is need for the Regen, this and a Male A to Male B adaptor are on order. I will try a mock-up with the iUSB acting as the Regen

Flexible adaptor is :-

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-30501-FlexUSB-Adapter/dp/B0001LS3EI

The connection between the two parts of the unit is a flat 4 core cable.

My cable supplier has a design philosophy that minimal shielding is better for sound quality. This make his cable extremely flexible and could be an answer to some on here who need a short USB cable - only this cable would not be shorter but flexible enough to fit anywhere you need it to.

Audiocadabra-Optimus-Handcrafted-USB-Cable-With-Type-A-And-B-Plugs.jpg

Online Storefront: Optimus Handcrafted USB Cables - AUDIOCADABRA

Reviews:

6moons audioreviews: Audiocadabra Optimus Dual-Header USB cable

Audiocadabra Optimus series Cables

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Audiocadabra Optimus Handcrafted Dual-Headed USB cable review

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18826[/ATTACH]

There's a donut shop near here that sells Nature's perfect food: maple bacon donuts!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I do not yet have my Regen but I have been planning how to fit it between my pc and iFi iDSD micro dac WITHOUT using any cables.

The connection between the two parts of the unit is a flat 4 core cable.

So then you would be using a cable.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

maple bacon donuts!

you definitely have something with maple, don't you Jud? :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

you definitely have something with maple, don't you Jud? :P

Never tried to eat my USB cable!

Hmmm....

Why wouldn't it. Just plug it in and try; my guess is you'll lov it.

Ill say again...I have a dual headed cable, so the power isolation of the Regen will possibly be less of a gain? That is one question I have. The next is: because I'm using an Aries streamer and not a computer, will the Regen circuits reap the same benefits as it would from a computer USB. I was really hoping the guys from Uptone would chime in, as well as anyone else using similar hardware and double-headed cable. All comments/ experience much appreciated.

The next is: because I'm using an Aries streamer and not a computer, will the Regen circuits reap the same benefits as it would from a computer USB. I was really hoping the guys from Uptone would chime in, as well as anyone else using similar hardware and double-headed cable.

I have an Aries also, but have yet to receive my REGEN. I've been wondering the same thing obviously. But, I think they kind of have chimed in on this. Check out John Swenson's Tech Corner on the Uptone Audio web site. Note this, for example:

"It is very important here to realize this is noise that is GENERATED inside the DAC by its own operation, it is NOT noise on the USB bus that is somehow getting into the DAC as is commonly thought. "

That suggests to me that I'm going to hear really good things when my REGEN arrives next month. :-)

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Ill say again...I have a dual headed cable, so the power isolation of the Regen will possibly be less of a gain? That is one question I have. The next is: because I'm using an Aries streamer and not a computer, will the Regen circuits reap the same benefits as it would from a computer USB. I was really hoping the guys from Uptone would chime in, as well as anyone else using similar hardware and double-headed cable. All comments/ experience much appreciated.

Well Jason (jtwrace) and a few other here have Aries and REGENs, and they all reported very good results.

Please remember that the output of a better USB 5VBus (using the widely regarded as best-in-class TI TPS7A4700 ultra-low-noise regulator and careful surrounding power network caps) is only the secondary function of the REGEN. Its primary function is all about providing the DAC with a high-integrity, impedance-matched data signal. You can read about that in detail in the Swenson Tech Corner of our wed site or in his posts here at CA.

Best,

ALEX

You'll get the gain alright, in my view. Remember, based on John Swenson's explanation a few pages back, the Regen basically makes life easier for your DAC by taking over part of its job. It doesn't do anything for your cable or PC. So, no matter how good your cable is, your DAC's still sweatin'.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

You'll get the gain alright, in my view. Remember, based on John Swenson's explanation a few pages back, the Regen basically makes life easier for your DAC by taking over part of its job. It doesn't do anything for your cable or PC. So, no matter how good your cable is, your DAC's still sweatin'.

Well said, it is hard for people to get their heads around the fact that the REGEN affects what happens inside the DAC, not outside of it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Of course it does, and so do other devices.

What the use if does not first condition the signal outside of the dac?

fmak

My cable supplier has a design philosophy that minimal shielding is better for sound quality. This make his cable extremely flexible and could be an answer to some on here who need a short USB cable - only this cable would not be shorter but flexible enough to fit anywhere you need it to.

Audiocadabra-Optimus-Handcrafted-USB-Cable-With-Type-A-And-B-Plugs.jpg

Online Storefront: Optimus Handcrafted USB Cables - AUDIOCADABRA

Reviews:

6moons audioreviews: Audiocadabra Optimus Dual-Header USB cable

Audiocadabra Optimus series Cables

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Audiocadabra Optimus Handcrafted Dual-Headed USB cable review

Hi and sorry ... i see only 3 wires. Is it a usb data only cable ?

Thanks, gino

Did you double check the design? We need to be sure sand paper doesn't add any grain to the sound.

Hehe!

Very ingenious idea there with the two triangles adjustable by sliding and the sandpaper for friction to keep it all in place.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hi and sorry ... i see only 3 wires. Is it a usb data only cable ?

Thanks, gino

I'm pretty sure the +5V cable is there in his USB cables.

The designer does not like the data only cable concept - he prefers the dual head cable instead.

He did make a data only cable for me though. But I use the dual head cable now.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I'm pretty sure the +5V cable is there in his USB cables.

The designer does not like the data only cable concept - he prefers the dual head cable instead.

He did make a data only cable for me though. But I use the dual head cable now

Hi and thanks a lot indeed for your kind and helpful reply.

When i see usb devices that need external power on the usb port to work i am sincerely puzzled.

The very first i read about usb is how dirty and weak is the usb power ... the very first.

A design that not addresses this issue well ... let's talk of a very bad start.

And even quite nice dacs are not immune. I have here a Hegel HD10 ... it needs external power on usb port to work. This is a design slip-up IMHO.

I am using a cheap usb isolator from Teradak by the way.

I believe that cables can make a big difference. And i guess you have found a very nice one indeed. Congratulations.

Thanks a lot indeed. gino