IGNORED

Uptone Regen and your DAC. What DAC do you use?

Tried the REGEN with 2 DACs and a USB-SPDIF converter .. Qute EX, Tranquility, and Schiit Bifrost (Uber Analog) fronted with the Bel Canto mLink and there is improvement with each. The Qute EX is the least impacted and the improvement is still obvious. The other 2 .. suffice it to say I need to order more REGENs.

Anyone using it with an exasound? I can't tell from this thread if it actually works with the exa, or even if Al is using one... Sometimes if you miss one key post it's all a mystery...

Thanks, Gerard

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

Anyone using it with an exasound? I can't tell from this thread if it actually works with the exa, or even if Al is using one... Sometimes if you miss one key post it's all a mystery...

Thanks, Gerard

Regen Green works great on Exa E20 Mk3 and E22

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Whether ripping CDs, or capturing from Vinyl. it's always a good idea to unplug any SMPS plugpacks so that pollution on the mains is reduced. Even unplugging the PC from the Cable Modem while ripping CDs resulted in a small SQ improvement.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Ditto except I shall one-up Mike with a slightly beefier 8V 2.5A TeraDak to power my forthcoming Amber REGEN :P

No doubt Mike will have the last laugh from his $70 savings, not to mention that the dual outputs on his Teradak will empower him to A/B test his rig with and without the REGEN in the chain with relative ease, or perhaps to separately power an SSD or audiophile USB card in future :D

Though I'd reckon we'll both gladly replace our Teradaks when JS & Alex unleash their budget-priced low-amperage quality LPSU this autumn or winter ;)

TeraDak 30W.jpg

I am most impressed with your having made the decision, early on (before all of the confusion regarding voltage selection hit a peak), to request that your 2.5A, R-Core LPS, the TeraDak DC-30W GoldenWave Pearl, be modified to output 8V instead of its normal specification of 9V. You've now somewhat dedicated that LPS for use with the USB Regen, as there aren't very many devices out there that want to see 8V DC, except for those that will accept a range of input voltages (a la Regen). And you had them modify the coaxial connector of the power cable as well - to fit the Regen. Smart!

TeraDak X1X2.jpg

My less expensive 1A, EI coil LPS, the TeraDak TeraLink X1/X2 (a.k.a. "U9VA"), indeed has a 5V output and a user-adjustable 0.25 to 9V output, which I will most likely end up setting to 8V, as well. I doubt I will use the 5V output simultaneously with any other device, however, for fear of ground loops.

A friend of mine found this site that offers the lowest price I've seen for the TeraDak U9VA - currently only $44, selecting USD in the upper-right corner of the page.

I paid something like $80 for it several months ago. The question for both of us remains: Will we be able to hear any audible benefits over the Regen's included SMPS? I intend to give the SMPS a good listen before replacing it with my big-spender LPS.

Speaking of spending money... Somebody hide my wallet while I wait for the USB Regen to get here! In anticipation of its arrival, I've bought...

1) A USB 2 module for the Octave MkII, for which I've previously had only Coaxial or Optical inputs

2) A Blue Jeans RCA-to-BNC Belden 1694A 50-Ohm cable, to improve my Coaxial connection's competitiveness when comparing it to the USB Regen chain (and it has proven itself already, raising the bar against which the USB chain will have to compete)

3) A CCK for my iPad 3, which I want to test as a USB source with Tidal HiFi and some 96/24 FLACs via the Onkyo HD Player app

4) A 0.7m Supra USB 2.0 cable which was only $34.87 without the UK VAT ($39.51 including shipping) - to compare against my 1.0m Moon Audio Blue Dragon

5) Not yet ordered: A new stand to support my iPad 3, if its use with the CCK proves to be a better sounding USB source than my laptop for use with the USB Regen

I was even shopping for a "better" USB-to-SPDIF converter in lieu of Metrum's USB 2 module.

All told, these Regen-inspired purchases have exceeded its cost.

I've gone koo-koo! :-)

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has outspent the cost of the USB Regen in preparation for its arrival.

:-)

Mike

Whether ripping CDs, or capturing from Vinyl. it's always a good idea to unplug any SMPS plugpacks so that pollution on the mains is reduced. Even unplugging the PC from the Cable Modem while ripping CDs resulted in a small SQ improvement.

I didn't know data transfers of digital files could effect quality of SQ? Analog, yes, streaming yes, but data??? Does that mean my multiple data transfers from one HDD to another is effecting SQ? I've never heard any difference after numerous transfers upon streaming?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

@ElviaCaprice

No, you are missing the point here. Read more in the other Regen threads.

The transfer is perfect every time. But there is a price to be payed for the perfection: noice. It finds its way into digital and analogue circuits. Specially noice from power supplies.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

@ElviaCaprice

No, you are missing the point here. Read more in the other Regen threads.

The transfer is perfect every time. But there is a price to be payed for the perfection: noice. It finds its way into digital and analogue circuits. Specially noice from power supplies.

With the Regen your talking about streamed digital. But to my knowledge, data transfer is a much different situation that has nothing to do with the Regen.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Correct, but the noice issues persists.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Anyone in the market for a brand new Corning USB cable?

The situation is that I bought one used, which stopped working about a month and a half later. Since it's used and beyond 30 days, I can (only) return for store credit or exchange. I could use that for a new Corning cable, but I'm intending to use my Mapleshade Plus USB cable with the Regen Amber. So if I do use the credit/exchange on a new Corning, it will be surplus to my needs. If interested, PM me. Otherwise I will probably put it up in the For Sale forum.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

All told, these Regen-inspired purchases have exceeded its cost.

I've gone koo-koo! :-)

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has outspent the cost of the USB Regen in preparation for its arrival.

:-)

Mike

Hi Mike:

Wow, I am flattered that the REGEN--in advance of you even getting it--has inspired you so much. Really wish your order fell in the range that ships this coming week. I just checked, and your are in the early July batch. Hang in there! :)

Hi Mike:

Wow, I am flattered that the REGEN--in advance of you even getting it--has inspired you so much. Really wish your order fell in the range that ships this coming week. I just checked, and your are in the early July batch. Hang in there! :)

Oh, thank you Alex! I can handle the wait, I think...

At least I haven't upgraded my amp or headphones before the Regen has arrived. :-)

Quoting a PM I sent to a friend recently (with updates applied):

Here's my testing schedule for my final push to Audio Nirvanna (oh sure!), beginning with my current chain (driving the Metrum Aurix > HD800, in each case):

1st MATCH (Battle of the Coaxial cables):

iPad 3 > Pure i-20 >
KabelDirekt
RCA-to-RCA 75-Ohm cable
>
RCA-to-BNC adapter
> Coaxial Input of Octave MkII

vs.

iPad 3 > Pure i-20 >
Blue Jeans
RCA-to-BNC 75-Ohm cable
> Coaxial input of Octave MkII

(This match is already over: The $17.50 Blue Jeans RCA-to-BNC cable beat the $8.99 KabelDirekt cable by a country mile - worth every penny!)

2nd MATCH (To Regen or not to Regen, using iPad 3 > CCK):

iPad 3 > 30-pin CCK > Blue Dragon USB cable
>>
USB input of Octave MkII

vs.

iPad 3 > 30-pin CCK > Blue Dragon USB cable
>
UpTone Audio
USB Regen
(with 7.5V SMPS) > USB A -to- USB B adapter
> USB input of Octave MkII

3rd MATCH (Battle of the Pure i-20 to Coaxial input vs. CCK to USB input):

Winner of the 1st Match

vs.

Winner of the 2nd Match

4th MATCH (To Regen or not to Regen, using Win7 Laptop):

Win7 Laptop > Blue Dragon USB cable
>>
USB input of Octave MkII

vs.

Win 7 Laptop > Blue Dragon USB cable
> USB Regen (with 7.5V SMPS) > USB A -to- USB B adapter
> USB input of Octave MkII

5th MATCH (Battle of the iPad 3 vs. Win7 Laptop):

Winner of the 3rd Match

vs.

Winner of the 4th Match

6th MATCH (Battle of the USB cables - assuming the Pure i-20 to Coaxial input didn't win the 3rd Match):

Winner of the 5th Match, using the
Blue Dragon
USB cable

vs.

Winner of the 5th Match, using the
Supra
USB cable

7th MATCH (Battle of the power supplies - assuming the Pure i-20 to Coaxial input didn't win the 3rd Match):

Winner of the 6th Match, using the
UpTone Audio 7.5V SMPS

vs.

Winner of the 6th Match, using the
TeraDak Teralink X1/X2 LPS (adjusted to 7.5V)

I'm a big believer in listening to a new link in the chain for a few days, at least, before regressing to the prior link with which I was already familiar. This is often more revealing than simply perpetuating the honeymoon experience.

But sometimes, a revelation occurs immediately, accompanied by slack-jawed amazement - as was the case with my recent installation of the Blue Jeans RCA-to-BNC coaxial cable - which left me just sinking back into my recliner for two hours as I played track after track. :-)

I suspect the Blue Jeans cable is only doing what it's supposed to do, while that KabelDirekt cable was doing anything but! I feel as if it cheated me out of hundreds of hours of heightened enjoyment by hog-tying my otherwise expensive system. I was perfectly content with that cheap KabelDirekt "digital" cable, until the Blue Jeans cable de-cluttered everything so impressively.

So, some of my planned competitions, above, may go quickly, while others will take a while to split hairs. Either way, I'm going to be diligent to stick to the plan and see what comes out on top.

All of this is because of my having placed the USB Regen order.

Make sure mine sounds better than all the rest, OK?

LOL

Mike

your having made the decision, early on (before all of the confusion regarding voltage selection hit a peak), to request that your 2.5A, R-Core LPS, the TeraDak DC-30W GoldenWave Pearl, be modified to output 8V instead of its normal specification of 9V. You've now somewhat dedicated that LPS for use with the USB Regen, as there aren't very many devices out there that want to see 8V DC, except for those that will accept a range of input voltages (a la Regen).

Mike

Yes Mike, I'll gladly enter a plea of guilty as charged in connection with limiting my custom voltage Teradak's applicability to being called up solely for REGEN duty, when in a mere few months this newly acquired Linear PSU will likely be retired as I shall undoubtedly replace it at that time with whatever upgraded REGEN powering solution that the good chaps at Uptone choose to wow us with! ;)

Hi Mike:

Wot, no special treatment (such as jumping the shipping queue nudge nudge) for those of us who, based solely on word of mouth (and faith <g>), have been inspired by the REGEN to hunt for and splurge on additional upgrades in support of it before even hearing one??! <huff> Hehe, just messin' with yer, Alex, we'll patiently wait our proper turn, I guess... :P

Didn't go half as much out of control as Mike did (due to being broke from this insatiable hobby lol), but did replace my Corning (which incidentally has bested my other USB cables including an iFi Gemini when going thru a powered hub, pre-REGEN) based just on JS' findings that whilst the Corning made for a synergistic combo with the Green, it did not bring about any significant improvements with the Amber over a good budget cable such as the Supra.

Then splurged on that Teradak LPSU in the hopes that it'd eke out a sliver of sonic improvement over the solid performing stock Mean Well SMPS, and even looked into upgrading the Teradak's DC connecting cord to the REGEN.

Followed by losing it altogether and in an unprecedented moment of insanity, somehow suckered myself into ordering a "FURUTECH Evolution Power 2" AC cable on eBay just to drive the Teradak to feed the REGEN... Luckily only $73 poorer after realising that this Chinese listing has to be for a shoddy knock off or replica, that asking price should surely have rung massive warning bells all over the place, duh!

Anyhow, reckon a major part of all the unprecedented excitement over this little device from a modest garage-operated shop is its virtually universal application to whatever system we all have already in place.

By allowing DACs of all sizes, shapes & flavours to come closer to what they are sonically capable of as originally envisioned by their designers (thru reduction of the "packet noise" self-generated by the DAC's USB PHY engine turning on extra pre-processing steps in attempting to correct for poor "signal integrity" and properly identify the corresponding digital bits/levels in an analogue electrical environment...at least that's my woefully inadequate understanding of these technical matters!), the seeming result is an almost unanimously positive reaction to what the REGEN can bring to the table, irrespective of whether our ears & budgets lean towards a statement dream machine such as a Berkeley Audio/Trinity/MSB/TotalDAC (I wish!), or a more modest component of the iFi/budget Schiit ilk.

Well thankfully end of my rambling & excessively verbose fanboi-ish ravings here...and I haven't even heard a REGEN at this point yet haha

Though I'd reckon we'll both gladly replace our Teradaks when JS & Alex unleash their budget-priced low-amperage quality LPSU this autumn or winter

IF they do, I hope that it uses a dual bobbin (less efficient) transformer as they are reported to have much lower capacitance between the secondary and the mains than even John Swenson's favoured R - Core transformers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

IF they do, I hope that it uses a dual bobbin (less efficient) transformer as they are reported to have much lower capacitance between the secondary and the mains than even John Swenson's favoured R - Core transformers.

Keep guessing Alex K. Sorry, but you are way off. We are doing something almost entirely new. :)

P.S. R-core transformers are dual bobbin by the way.

Keep guessing Alex K. Sorry, but you are way off. We are doing something almost entirely new. :)

AlexC

I wasn't guessing, which is why I accentuated the "IF"

My suggestion was mainly aimed at any DIY person contemplating making a small Linear PSU for USB use.

I have found, just as John has, that there is capacitive coupling back to the mains via the transformer which does degrade USB performance to some extent.

Regards

Alex K

AlexC

I wasn't guessing, which is why I accentuated the "IF"

My suggestion was mainly aimed at any DIY person contemplating making a small Linear PSU for USB use.

I have found, just as John has, that there is capacitive coupling back to the mains via the transformer which does degrade USB performance to some extent.

Regards

Alex K

You've got me thinking I might be better off powering the Regen (and my DAC beyond) with a LiPo battery pack, like my Anker Astro 3, which offers 5V, 9V, and 12V output.

Anker-Astro-3-main.png

I'll have to add this to my test plan. :-)

Mike

You've got me thinking I might be better off powering the Regen (and my DAC beyond) with a LiPo battery pack, like my Anker Astro 3, which offers 5V, 9V, and 12V output.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19199[/ATTACH]

I'll have to add this to my test plan. :-)

Mike

What most people don't realize is that these consumer battery packs contain cheap switching regulators, you are NOT getting a direct battery output.

John S.