IGNORED

Should blind testing discussion be banned on CA? POLL

Should blind testing discussion be banned on CA?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PeterSt + YashN + Paul R + christopher3393,

did not get the chance to acknowledge your kind thoughts/words in the other thread.

so, allow me to say * Thank You * (in the bigger font for Peter) here.

cheers.

Hey, no prob. Anytime. Stick around, let's continue to have fun.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

There was more to this than just user input. I looked at the net of all his posts and came to my own conclusion. The large number of use reports was the impetus for me to start the inquiry.

+1,000. Well done, Chris, and I also appreciate the swift action and moderation explanation - I thought it would have been exactly the case, and I guess you had a sense of deja vu because that sounds like what happened with Prot right beforehand.

Can we add something like 'Likes' in the forum?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Please let me know, because I am about to release a fun blind test for anyone who wants to try it! :)

Does it involve something which starts with an 'L' and ends with an 'O'?

:^)

L

Let's fix that for you:

Oh pretty simple really. Those who can't hear a difference feel much more special when they can face off against those who do hear the difference. Hence it is really good for a site supported by advertising.

You get all this hoopla over whether or not something is better. People with "average" systems that don't trust their ears want to see if it is. They can't hear the difference making themselves unhappy. Making them feel they need to go dispute those who can. All one big negative feedback loop about positive feedback.

:)

Good grief Dennis. So stop talking about them and orchestrate the perfect DBT to satisfy yourself.

The fact is, you DBTers have far more invested in convincing us we don't hear what we hear than those of who do hear (very explainable things) have in convincing you. Most of what I have seen here in the last year is you, mayhem, Bill Scott, Skeptic, etc. dropping into every productive sharing discussion--where people are discussing tweaks and experiences (even careful, single-variable tests)--and pronouncing we are all deluding ourselves.

It has gotten really old...

Productive sharing discussions? Lol..............you're sharing something all right!......hahahaha

Does it involve something which starts with an 'L' and ends with an 'O'?

:^)

No need to wonder, here it is: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/heres-little-test-you-can-all-join-23330/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Absolutely not. People send me messages in confidence and I will not break their trust.

That's the spirit.

And thank you for talking to me.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Hi Bill - I appreciate the directness and succinctness of your message.

Trithio is currently on the global ignore list so his posts aren't visible to members of the CA Community. His presence here on CA was a net negative, so I took action to remove him from causing further problems. I liken this to a statistic called Plus/Minus in the sport of hockey. For every goal one's team scores each player who is on the ice receives a Plus. For every goal that is scored on the team each player on the ice receives a Minus. The total of these two is called a player's Plus/Minus score. Some players are great on offense and may score many goals, but if they don't play defense well their minus tally will eventually overtake the plus. I received so many PMs and emails about Trithio, all negative, from members of the CA Community that I had to do something about him. Yes he offered some nuggets of good information, but the "cancerous" posts far outnumbered the beneficial.

I the consensus of the CA Community is that they want to see Trithio's posts back on the site I can make that happen easily. However, I will not enable him to continue posting on CA.

P.S. Please consider that I can't please everyone. Some people are bound to be irritated by my decisions. I must do what's best for the forum on a long term basis. This is a marathon, not a sprint. I value everyone of the members of this Community greatly but I must look out for the whole over the individual.

There was more to this than just user input. I looked at the net of all his posts and came to my own conclusion. The large number of use reports was the impetus for me to start the inquiry.

Chris,

thank you = you have answered 2 of my 3 questions.

the 3rd:

* As our host, any thoughts/words/advice for all of us on how you would like things to be in the CA forum? *

cheers.

I feel a need to explain why I voted "Yes, blind testing discussion should be banned."

I see DBTs as a dividing factor that causes nothing but friction.

Those who think that audio DBT’s actually reveal any differences should study both cognitive bias and listener fatigue. Our brains seem to be at odds with quick AB’ing and the only way I know to reveal real differences is by long term listening in a relaxed mood.

Personally I believe the person who heard a difference, heard a difference. I also believe the person who didn’t hear a difference ,didn’t hear a difference. Neither outcome means anything to me as I personally have to hear the bloody thing for myself in my system, if I am so inclined, before laying down any money. I refuse to try anything that costs money unless it comes with a full money back guarantee.

Besides my poor health, this thread provides enough reasons to never disclose any personal preferences on anything even if I was healthy.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

For freedom of expression, if not for other reason, it should not be banned.

Full respect of others opinions and perceptions, should always be respected.

Double blind tests could be useful or not (for me, the hassle of setting up it's enought for not doing so)...but it would be useful to isolate the preconception about the equipment...

We are not alone with this troll problem:

Twitter CEO: “We suck at dealing with abuse and trolls” - Salon.com

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo: "We suck at dealing with abuse and trolls on the platform and we’ve sucked at it for years. It’s no secret and the rest of the world talks about it every day. We lose core user after core user by not addressing simple trolling issues that they face every day.

I’m frankly ashamed of how poorly we’ve dealt with this issue during my tenure as CEO. It’s absurd. There’s no excuse for it. I take full responsibility for not being more aggressive on this front. It’s nobody else’s fault but mine, and it’s embarrassing.

We’re going to start kicking these people off right and left and making sure that when they issue their ridiculous attacks, nobody hears them.

Everybody on the leadership team knows this is vital."

Interesting approach.......sorta like the U.S. terrible approach to gun control.

Both are social problems.........but aren't treated as social problems

Ever wonder why CA and other audiophile sites get trolled so frequently?

Ever consider the possibility that it's the pure rediculousness of the content and claims that attracts irrational behaviors?

Good luck to Twitter taking control of their social media empire by censorship and anti-social actions. MORONIC.

Ever consider the possibility that it's the pure rediculousness [sic] of the content and claims that attracts irrational behaviors?

Ever consider the possibility that this conjecture might be as bad as your spelling? :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Interesting approach.......sorta like the U.S. terrible approach to gun control.

Ever consider the possibility that it's the pure rediculousness of the content and claims that attracts irrational behaviors?

Good luck to Twitter taking control of their social media empire by censorship and anti-social actions. MORONIC.

Ever consider it might be because systems like CA encourage free and open speech, which is nothing but a target for those who would take advantage? As in our friend Amar/CAT/Antoine/alias-of-the-day?

That is much more likely to be the case. Free speech is a hard won right, and to people from more controlled environments, it is like being given free reign to misbehave.

Ridiculous is "Amar" using the system to launch and promote an attack on JRiver, something most anyone would consider an inappropriate use of the abilities of any user on the system. Ridiculous is someone declaring "war" on CA and constantly trying to sow discord, fear, uncertainly, and doubt among the readers. Ridiculous is people pressing an agenda clearly designed to ridicule someone with a different experience or viewpoint. Ridiculous is anyone who thinks they know it all when it comes to audio in general, and computer audio in specific.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

All, I repeat all, sites attract trolls.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

All, I repeat all, sites attract trolls.

+1

The anonymity and/or physical separation afforded by the keyboard assures this.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Ever consider the possibility that it's the pure rediculousness of the content and claims that attracts irrational behaviors? Good luck to Twitter taking control of their social media empire by censorship and anti-social actions. MORONIC.

mayhem13,

Thank you for clearly showing everyone the problems trolls can cause, with another one of your ugly rants !

:)

Hi JPrince - Your first two posts here on CA bash JRiver. Are you here to add something positive to enhance people's enjoyment of this hobby or for another purpose?

Are "bashing" JRiver and adding something positive to enhance people's enjoyment of this hobby mutually exclusive things? I guess that depends on the reader. Pleasing any- and everyone, like you wrote as well, is quite difficult.

Ever consider it might be because systems like CA encourage free and open speech, which is nothing but a target for those who would take advantage? As in our friend Amar/CAT/Antoine/alias-of-the-day?

It looks like you can add JPrince to the list.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Everone's entitled to their own opinion and should feel free discussing the need/necessity of DBT on topic. However requesting/demanding audiophiles to perform DBT's in a topic in which they're discussing their tweak/purchase/optimization or whatever is both annoying and off topic.

Most of the times it's almost the same as calling out God does not exist on a forum about religion or claiming BMW sucks on a BMW forum.

Also most audiophiles are not interested in DBT or scientific validity and explainations, they trust their ears and care about results only. Objectionists claiming they're 'only trying to warn others' to not fall for the 'snake oil'/(put any denigrating term here) are the worst IMO.

It looks like you can add JPrince to the list.

Do you think that maybe Jim Hillegass should also be included, when it comes to bashing competitors? :)