IGNORED

Article: Devialet Unleashes Phantom

Those cats at Devialet are seriously clever. I look forward to learning more about this potentially revolutionary product.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

"The unit receives music via Optical, WiFi, or Ethernet (PLC Homeplug AV2) and outputs it with 750 watts (Phantom) or 3,000 watts (Silver Phantom) of power."

Besides optical, it's WiFi, ethernet and Homeplug. And it can receive the same data from any of these network connections at the same time if they're all connected and configured.

Also, thankfully, it only outputs those power figures you mention at peak/maximum volume. ;)

I do my serious listening in a home office. I definitely want to hear this. It could be the perfect full range solution for a small room.

Devialet claims the system sounds as good as something up to 10 times the price in a conventional setup. I wonder how close to reality that claim actually is.

edit: just read the white paper. The technology is seriously impressive. I love the fact that they took people from the automotive and watch industries to help them get such a small, yet powerful woofer. That's thinking outside the box.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Wow! Better than Bose.....Devialet is indeed the next generation of ready made audiophile frontier.

Agentsmittie, Here's one for you.

Chris, Congrats on placing CA at such a unique position. It seems that for companies who want to get their product information on the market in real time, instead in a print form in another month - Arguably CA seems to be the only one that matters or has the clout to do that. Hopefully you will be the voice of the Computer based audiophile masses and leverage cost and quality for us.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Very interesting product indeed! I see that it sits with a rake that angles it up, presumably to put the listener in the speaker-plane when in a desktop environment?

Chris, having been one of the few to see it in the flesh at this point, do you think that, sitting at a desk and using these like computer speakers (if very high-end computer speakers), they would align with a listener in the near field (say 2-3 feet away) and sitting above the desk in, say, a task chair? Thanks!

Roon --> ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1 --> Kii CONTROL --> Kii THREE active speakers (everything on Black Ravioli bases and footers)

Chris, when you do get it for review, please compare it to the sound of your reference system. So we can know how good it really is.

Btw, I find the reported marketing plan - only at Harrods for 6 months - very curious if true.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Boggling!

So, to get stereo, you'd buy two of these units apparently. But would they show up as a single audio device

on your laptop? How do you configure a single vs. multiples of these to get stereo (or multichannel?) output?

Just looking at this, I feel antiquated...

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Thanks for the links to the white paper and brochure which are all fascinating. It sounds like they built an active speaker with an active crossover between the two 8" woofer and a coincident mid and tweeter powered each by their ADH amplification. And to keep the size small and the bass deep, they're using a speaker with sensitivity of 71dB and then powering it with 750W. And then to fix the speaker distortions, they're using SAM and they can also fix any clipping with SAM since everything from volume control onwards are all in the digital domain. Obviously, since everything is proprietary, there's a lot of guesswork as to how things really work on my part. But throwing in the wireless part and using a more robust 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi system instead of some other brands' 2.4GHz only WiFi setup, you've got a truly great robust design. I listened to the Devialet 400 over the weekend and was super impressed. Can't wait to check out the Phantom.

Design very like a Dyson vacuum cleaner...

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

Boggling!

So, to get stereo, you'd buy two of these units apparently. But would they show up as a single audio device

on your laptop? How do you configure a single vs. multiples of these to get stereo (or multichannel?) output?

Just looking at this, I feel antiquated...

All of that stuff is done by the Phantom setup; you just use your laptop etc, as the source

Holy Crap! If the SQ is as good as Devialet claims, this is huge.

In theory, I could replace my entire main system - a combined 2 channel/HT system with Linn Klimax amps/preamp/DS player, Classe SSP-800, Vivid Audio speakers and JLAudio f112 subs -- for well less than $20K!

we need more info -- and a Harrods catalog -- STAT!

ChrisG

Bend, OR

Design very like a Dyson vacuum cleaner...

Looks more like a coffeemaker to me. (Agreed re Dyson "quality," by the way. Luckily we only have the relatively cheap "stick" for quick cleanups in mudroom and kitchen.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Looks more like a coffeemaker to me. (Agreed re Dyson "quality," by the way. Luckily we only have the relatively cheap "stick" for quick cleanups in mudroom and kitchen.)

That's the same thing I was thinking. I' will hold any observations until someone hears it.

The Truth Is Out There

Chris:

I'm not sure you view yourself as a journalist, but your readers do. Therefore I think it's important to disclose whether you're receiving any direct or indirect compensation and what or how much (e.g., product, free airfare, meals, accommodations or money). This should be disclosed in the the article or review. If it's zero, that's important, too!

Music: Mostly classical with some jazz and 70's, 80's and 90's rock. It's mostly ripped CD's, but I have quite a few DSF files ripped from SACD's and some hi res downloads, too.

I must admit this looks pretty awesome!

I don't really understand how it gets multichannel audio though and how good it will be at that. At least with 16hz range it rules out the need for a sub for a lot of people :o

I just wonder if it needs HDMI to really get its place as a full HT replacement.

Chris:

I'm not sure you view yourself as a journalist, but your readers do. Therefore I think it's important to disclose whether you're receiving any direct or indirect compensation and what or how much (e.g., product, free airfare, meals, accommodations or money). This should be disclosed in the the article or review. If it's zero, that's important, too!

Devialet paid for my plane ticket, hotel, and lunch after the demonstration. Without this I wouldn't / couldn't make the trip to report on the Phantom to the CA Community.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Could someone explain how it is possible to get low bass that they are claming with such a small woofer inside a very small cabinet? I thought it takes a lot of mass to move a substantial amount of air to deliver deep, powerful bass! Inquiring mind wants to Know?

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.