IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

[h=1]Lightning DS iOS Version 3.0[/h]About This Release:

• 16th May 2016

New Features:

• In-App integration with AURALiC account feature
  • Add Random Play function of entire music library (Go Queue and click 'Play Now')
  • Add setup guide for ALTAIR Streaming DAC
  • Add 'Buffering' renderer status
  • Add message hint for choose how you want to play an album after you have manually organized your playback queue
  • New App icon

Improvement:

• Reduce storage usage by clear some unused artworks after restart (iPhone)
  • Adding options to choose 'wired' or 'wireless' connection in setup guide (iPhone, iPad)
  • Show file that been scanned in Lightning Server setup guide (iPhone, iPad)
  • Improve text color in Now Playing interface (iPad)
  • Other user interface optimization (iPhone)

Fixes:

• Expired TIDAL/WiMP log on session could not be removed automatically (iPad)
  • Unable to select device with password protected (iPhone)
  • Album artwork in Now Playing does not show up correctly (iPhone)
  • Device volume in Now Playing does not show up correctly (iPhone)
  • Qobuz Playlist data incorrect (iPhone, iPad)
  • Qobuz Purchase data incorrect (iPhone)
  • New firmware reminder wont show up (iPhone, iPad)
  • Duplicate items in Lightning Server menu under particular situation (iPhone)
  • App not responding after you tried to add a big playlist to device queue (iPhone, iPad)
  • 'Cancel' button in Search toolbar wont work when you click it for the first time (iPhone)

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Sorry this is a few weeks old but not sure if you have already solved it but if not...

Not sure why, I installed dBpoweramp 2 years ago and I think this was the standard back then. I never had a problem with this before. Foobar2000 worked just fine.

If you still have MinimServer installed, try going into the properties (via the MinimWatch app on your computer) and changing "mergeFolderAlbums" to "true".

Now I might just need to re-rip my whole CD collection, not something I am looking forward to. Also have to buy a new CD/DVD drive for my computer. The last one more or less dies after I ripped my collection for the 2nd time.

As commented, no need to re-rip your collection. If you have a Windows computer a few clicks in MP3Tag (similar alternative software is available) will have you all ship shape and with a better folder structure.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Quick question ... is there any likelihood of the Lightning DS becoming operational again with streamers other than Auralic?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Have I missed the playlist export, import feature? Or am I a voice in the wilderness asking for the ability to export my playlists so as to replace them when they're wiped out by Lightning upgrades?

Please, Xuanqian, soon......

Derek

Is anyone else not happy about this sudden requirement to establish an account and login each time you launch the app.

I know that you can cancel, but it's another step in what is already a painfully slow app to launch and locate hardware compared to the other apps that I use.

I don't know, I haven't established an account. Why should I have to?

Exactly! I think its BS too, and I have sent them feedback... but Xuanqian Wang himself assures me this is a necessary step to allow the extended warranty to work - which I don't quite understand as the warranty applies to the hardware, not Lightning DS. However, Mr Wang tells me there's also an exciting new newsletter (which you can opt out of), and soon to be introduced: an optional subscription 'cloud backup' feature. Great!

I'd like to know if Lighting DS is sending any statistical data back to Auralic servers, it must be, as every time I open the app it logs in. I am not happy about needing an account to play MY music on MY hifi, but that they tell me is the price of progress... It seems I need a friggin' account for any and everything connected to the internet these days. Too much loss of privacy.

Yes...what is this login nonsense?

A terrible user experience. We should be able to opt out.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

What's the big deal?

Do it once and it is over with.

The reasoning behind it has been explained.

I was speaking primarily from the perspective of having been involved in software design and development for the last 20+ years. Terrible to keep bringing up that screen without an option that gets it to stop nagging on launch. The least they could have done is list the benefits of having an Auralic account along right on that screen.

Personally speaking, I plan to list my Aries for sale next week, so there's no point in me signing up for an Auralic account.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

What are you moving on to?

microRendu

What is the difference in sound you are finding between the Aries and microRendu?

Some observations that I posted can be found here. The Aries is less musical and can bring a harder, more fatiguing sound to lesser recordings. Bass is considerably better with the microRendu as well.

I was considering the same but cannot do ethernet in my listening room - alas no outlets.

What is the difference in sound you are finding between the Aries and microRendu?

For what it's worth: I am running an Aries w/Regen against the Sonic Transporter>microRendu for 3 weeks now. I'm having a heck of a time at this point saying one is "better" overall than the other. While they certainly are somewhat different "flavors" I'm actually leaning toward the Aries/Regen combo. I'm not finished yet though - still working with power supplies, cabling, etc. Eventually only one will be staying, too close to call for now.

I hear a "tighter" cleaner presentation from the mRendu setup. I would call the Aries setup the more "musical" of the two and a bit more forgiving. I suppose this is where the YMMV caveat comes in. My ears, my system, my room, my preferences are not the same as yours, or anyone else's for that matter.

Hi Doak

Thanks for your feedback too. Yes, our ears, equipment and rooms are not the same but your views much appreciated anyway.

I just bought a W4S Recovery and was wondering if the Aries has Femto clocks and my DAC also has an internal reclocking, non chip based, will there still be benefits from adding a reclocking device between them?

Also, looking at your setup, you use a USB cable for DSD material and a RCA SPDIF one for PCM material both from your Aries to the Lampi - I guess there were sonic differences enough for you to do so, rather than just stick with the USB for both DSD and PCM? In what way was the PCM via RCA SPDIF better than just running USB?

Thanks

Hi Doak

Thanks for your feedback too. Yes, our ears, equipment and rooms are not the same but your views much appreciated anyway.

I just bought a W4S Recovery and was wondering if the Aries has Femto clocks and my DAC also has an internal reclocking, non chip based, will there still be benefits from adding a reclocking device between them?

Also, looking at your setup, you use a USB cable for DSD material and a RCA SPDIF one for PCM material both from your Aries to the Lampi - I guess there were sonic differences enough for you to do so, rather than just stick with the USB for both DSD and PCM? In what way was the PCM via RCA SPDIF better than just running USB?

Thanks

I should update my specs. Since using the Regen w/good PSU I now use USB input exclusively.

Can't answer a generic question about reclocking. Can say that IMO the Regen is a substantial improvement with the Aries.

For what it's worth: I am running an Aries w/Regen against the Sonic Transporter>microRendu for 3 weeks now. I'm having a heck of a time at this point saying one is "better" overall than the other. While they certainly are somewhat different "flavors" I'm actually leaning toward the Aries/Regen combo. I'm not finished yet though - still working with power supplies, cabling, etc. Eventually only one will be staying, too close to call for now.

I hear a "tighter" cleaner presentation from the mRendu setup. I would call the Aries setup the more "musical" of the two and a bit more forgiving. I suppose this is where the YMMV caveat comes in.

Hi Doak

Would appreciate you chiming in here again once you have decided on the Aries or the microRendu, with your final decision and why.

Thanks