IGNORED

HQ Player

5 minutes ago, Confused said:

I can do it at the moment, but only from an iPad via Airplay.  To do this from a PC via NAA would be splendid.

Is the idea to gain better SQ ?

Furter, is the use of Virtual Cable software a way of route any input stream through HQPlayer? Like HMDI from your TV ?

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Is the idea to gain better SQ ?

Furter, is the use of Virtual Cable software a way of route any input stream through HQPlayer? Like HMDI from your TV ?

that's the goal , like  using the  DSD dac of the T+ADAC8 with any source like youtube  .  HQplayer4 see the Virtualsound card on his input setting but unfortunalty it doesn"t stream it on his output .

if it's not possible i will stay with HQP3

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, here is the log file.  192.168.1.154 is the machine where RoonServer resides (it is on a different machine than HQP 4 Desktop).

HQPlayer4Desktop.log 10.32 kB · 0 downloads

Upon further testing, I find that I can stream Roon to different installation of HQPlayer 4 Desktop installed on a Windows 10 machine.  so my problem is streaming to the HQPlayer 4 Desktop running on Server 2016.  But again, Roon to HQPlayer 3 works on the same Server 2016 machine.  Hopefully, the log (in prior posting) will shed some light!  thank you.

Hi Jussi,

I encountered a regression with version 4. I'm not able to use the closed-form filters family (with PCM), there is almost no listenable output except some weird clicks. The 'limited' counter is steadily counting up clipped samples also. As with version 3 I upsample everything to SDM, so currently I am only able to listen to my DSD files.

I use up to date Windows 10 and up to date Nvidia/CUDA drivers with CUDA offload enabled, no setting has changed going from version 3 to version 4 of HQPlayer.

Otherwise everything is smooth and good sounding with the new version :)

9 minutes ago, Paetrick said:

Hi Jussi,

I encountered a regression with version 4. I'm not able to use the closed-form filters family (with PCM), there is almost no listenable output except some weird clicks. The 'limited' counter is steadily counting up clipped samples also. As with version 3 I upsample everything to SDM, so currently I am only able to listen to my DSD files.

I use up to date Windows 10 and up to date Nvidia/CUDA drivers with CUDA offload enabled, no setting has changed going from version 3 to version 4 of HQPlayer.

I have had similar issue with version 4 regarding the limited counter keeps counting up and no sound plays - this was on trying to play DSD. I have updated the Nvidia drivers as well on Win 10. I found that if you uncheck the CUDA offload it will work. I have reverted back to version 3 which allows the CUDA offload?

9 minutes ago, Paetrick said:

15 hours ago, Miska said:

It should already work, although not tested by me (yet). On macOS I would find it more likely to work, on Windows it seems to require some additional things from my side, since WASAPI Exclusive mode doesn't seem to work with such.

I am using Windows 10. In HQPlayer (I am using version 3 -- I do not know if this is different in version 4) under File -> Settings,  I can set the backend (e.g. WASAPI) and the device -- but this is for the output device.  There is nowhere in the dialog box to specify the device for input.

Also, another way of doing this maybe to install the ASIO4ALL driver but then HQPlayer would need to have a button on the settings dialog box to open the control panel of the driver.

mQa is dead!

7 hours ago, juanitox said:

any software to do that on Windows ?  it would be nice to listen some  Youtube live with Hqplayer . 😉

Virtual Audio Cable 4 https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/  ($), or VB-Audio's Virtual Audio Cable https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/ (free). In general, I find the first one to be a little more robust.  Both should work**.

** How do you select the input device in HQPlayer (for Windows)?

mQa is dead!

32 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

About the 1x and Nx Filters, for DSD 128 upsampling:

Should they both be set the same, and what are they, what do they do?

Is 1X for DSD with no upsampling?

Is selection Automatic?

You set the 1 x filter as the filter you want to use for Red Book and other 44.1 or 48k recordings.

You set the N x filter as the filter you want to use for recordings with higher sampling rates.

It gives you the opportunity to set two different filters for different situations.

19 minutes ago, craighartley said:

You set the 1 x filter as the filter you want to use for Red Book and other 44.1 or 48k recordings.

You set the N x filter as the filter you want to use for recordings with higher sampling rates.

It gives you the opportunity to set two different filters for different situations.

Craig, hi, it's Nick Harmer here!

I decided to buy Jussi's new release and now I'm trying to make sense of it.  Fortunately, it's not too difficult getting it to work with Roon & my UltraRendu.  But I'm a bit confused as to what filters to choose for high rez vs redbook.

In HQP3, my go-to filter/modulator choice has been poly-since-ext2/DSD5.  I currently have HQP4 set up with this combo for both 1x and Nx.  I have an older DAC that only accepts DSD128 so I upsample everything to that over DoP.  I think you're a bit ahead of me on all things connected with HQP.  Do you have any suggestions for the Nx choice please?

Hope all is well.  Will look you up the next time I come to Cambs and you're welcome to do likewise if you venture near north Wilts!

Best

Nick

- Jussi, thanks for your continued efforts and I'm happy to be able to support you!

Jussi,

Could you please look into making the phase inversion setting stick from one start to the next. My pre-amp inverts phase so I need to leave it on and it always reverts at start to non-invert setting and I forget to look and change sometimes.

Also, would there be any benefit to allowing an option to have HQP Win Desktop version set as a service so it would start automatically at start?

Loving version 4. I don't bother with the client as all I use is Roon streaming Tidal/Qobuz. One less thing running.

Thanks

Bob

46 minutes ago, Nikko1960 said:

Hi Nick!!

We really ought to find another excuse than this for meeting up!!

It would be good if others could contribute thoughts about how best to make use of this new split function. I'm not the best to comment, and of course there's nothing wrong with sticking to -ext2 for everything, but you could experiment with some of the non-anodising filters (closed form, etc) for hi-res (Nx) on the basis that you might stand a chance that those files have fewer of the ills that an apodising filter is trying to cure.

Another benefit of the two different settings is that you can set the -2s version of a favourite filter for 1x, and the non-2s version for Nx, so you don't have to wait an age while a long filter sets itself for 1x stuff.

All the best

Craig

46 minutes ago, Nikko1960 said:

Craig, hi, it's Nick Harmer here!

I decided to buy Jussi's new release and now I'm trying to make sense of it.  Fortunately, it's not too difficult getting it to work with Roon & my UltraRendu.  But I'm a bit confused as to what filters to choose for high rez vs redbook.

In HQP3, my go-to filter/modulator choice has been poly-since-ext2/DSD5.  I currently have HQP4 set up with this combo for both 1x and Nx.  I have an older DAC that only accepts DSD128 so I upsample everything to that over DoP.  I think you're a bit ahead of me on all things connected with HQP.  Do you have any suggestions for the Nx choice please?

Hope all is well.  Will look you up the next time I come to Cambs and you're welcome to do likewise if you venture near north Wilts!

Best

Nick

- Jussi, thanks for your continued efforts and I'm happy to be able to support you!

2 hours ago, jimdukey said:

About the 1x and Nx Filters, for DSD 128 upsampling:

Should they both be set the same, and what are they, what do they do?

Is 1X for DSD with no upsampling?

Is selection Automatic?

1x practically means 44.1k and 48k PCM sampling rates, which are called "1x" or "base" rates. and "Nx" practically means 88.2k and above. HQPlayer automatically switches between these two configured filters based on source content sampling rate.

This feature has been in Embedded for quite a while. Point is that you can select separate filter to be used for RedBook and hires content (I don't count 44.1/24 or 48/24 as hires).

One could for example select some slower roll-off filter for hires content, like poly-sinc-short or poly-sinc-mqa.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

Could you please look into making the phase inversion setting stick from one start to the next. My pre-amp inverts phase so I need to leave it on and it always reverts at start to non-invert setting and I forget to look and change sometimes.

That's a mistake if it doesn't stick. I'll check it..

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

Also, would there be any benefit to allowing an option to have HQP Win Desktop version set as a service so it would start automatically at start?

Service is more like daemons on Unix-like systems (macOS/Linux). This is what Embedded does on Linux. But such cannot have built-in GUI for configuration. HQPlayer Desktop is specifically a desktop application with GUI, so instead if there would be one that can be run as service it would be Embedded.

If you want, you can configure Windows to auto-login a user account, like I have on my listening room media computer. And you can easily make HQPlayer Desktop launch automatically at login time.

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

That's a mistake if it doesn't stick. I'll check it..

Service is more like daemons on Unix-like systems (macOS/Linux). This is what Embedded does on Linux. But such cannot have built-in GUI for configuration. HQPlayer Desktop is specifically a desktop application with GUI, so instead if there would be one that can be run as service it would be Embedded.

If you want, you can configure Windows to auto-login a user account, like I have on my listening room media computer. And you can easily make HQPlayer Desktop launch automatically at login time.

OK, Thanks

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Hi Nick!!

We really ought to find another excuse than this for meeting up!!

It would be good if others could contribute thoughts about how best to make use of this new split function. I'm not the best to comment, and of course there's nothing wrong with sticking to -ext2 for everything, but you could experiment with some of the non-anodising filters (closed form, etc) for hi-res (Nx) on the basis that you might stand a chance that those files have fewer of the ills that an apodising filter is trying to cure.

Another benefit of the two different settings is that you can set the -2s version of a favourite filter for 1x, and the non-2s version for Nx, so you don't have to wait an age while a long filter sets itself for 1x stuff.

All the best

Craig

Yup - couldn't agree more.  

I'm having some nice results using the -MQA-LP filter for Nx if that's any help!

Best

N

1 hour ago, Miska said:

1x practically means 44.1k and 48k PCM sampling rates, which are called "1x" or "base" rates. and "Nx" practically means 88.2k and above. HQPlayer automatically switches between these two configured filters based on source content sampling rate.

This feature has been in Embedded for quite a while. Point is that you can select separate filter to be used for RedBook and hires content (I don't count 44.1/24 or 48/24 as hires).

One could for example select some slower roll-off filter for hires content, like poly-sinc-short or poly-sinc-mqa.

Just to be clear and as I haven't tried testing this yet; does it mean that if you have a playlist with mixed sample rates it will switch automatically from the 1x to nx when tracks change from 44.1/48 to 88.2 and above and the reverse?

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

6 hours ago, Paetrick said:

Hi Jussi,

Like Paetrik, with HQ Player 4.01 output is just pops and clicks with closed form, same PC and other settings as when all worked well using HQ Player 3.xx. I am certain Jussi has a lot of troubleshooting post a major release and user feedback, but closed-form 16 taps had been my go to filter, would love to have it usable again!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

47 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Just to be clear and as I haven't tried testing this yet; does it mean that if you have a playlist with mixed sample rates it will switch automatically from the 1x to nx when tracks change from 44.1/48 to 88.2 and above and the reverse?

Yes, that's the point... :)

Note: if you explicitly set some filter in the client, it applies to all source rates from that point on.

41 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

Like Paetrik, with HQ Player 4.01 output is just pops and clicks with closed form, same PC and other settings as when all worked well using HQ Player 3.xx. I am certain Jussi has a lot of troubleshooting post a major release and user feedback, but closed-form 16 taps had been my go to filter, would love to have it usable again!

If you can run it, can you try without CUDA offload? Because that filter implementation is exactly the same between Desktop 3.25.3 and Desktop 4.0.0, only difference being update of CUDA framework from 10.0 to 10.1...