IGNORED

HQ Player

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

I just have macOS firewall turned off because it harms more than helps on my local network anyway.

That's interesting.  Besides these annoying "Allow" dialogs, what did you observe about the Firewall interfering with network communications?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

If your output device is NAA and you have firewall active, it is normal behavior, also with HQPlayer 3, because HQPlayer gives up waiting for the NAA before you can click "Allow" on the dialog box. I just have macOS firewall turned off because it harms more than helps on my local network anyway.

Jussi,

Thanks for the feedback. I turned off the firewall and HQPlayer 4 does open without all the warnings. Never had this issue with HQPlayer 3.....

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

That's interesting.  Besides these annoying "Allow" dialogs, what did you observe about the Firewall interfering with network communications?

Problem with those allow dialogs is that they are popped up when network access happens. And then packets are already lost before you can answer to the question. At least I have not found configuration to allow application to operate on dynamic ports, it somehow assumes ports are static. In addition, I need to allow access to things I want to use and as result there's nothing for the firewall to do, because there's nothing else than what I want to allow, so there's nothing for the firewall to block.

In general  it fails to understand protocol specific relation between multicast and unicast traffic, typically used for auto-discovery network services. Not everybody wants to route things through Apple's own Bonjour which they have likely special-case exempted in their own firewall.

On a laptop that is used on public and other unsafe networks, firewall is must. But on protected private networks it just causes problems.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks for all that you do Miska; I am, however, unable to find my log file even with your directions... is there un update that resolves Christians issues?

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

6 hours ago, Miska said:
22 hours ago, lucretius said:

OK. Downloaded 4.1 and saw the dialog box with inputs.  I tried it out but,  as you know, it doesn't work with WIndows.  I'm going to uninstall this version until you get the inputs working.  At that time, would I be able to re-start the 30 trial? Thanks.

Well, inputs certainly do work, from both WASAPI and ASIO, just not software loopback things (unless you can find one for ASIO) because they seem to lack support for WASAPI Exclusive mode. I've tested both digital and analog inputs through RME ADI-2 Pro on all three platforms. Also DSD256 input works.

Sorry, I should have said virtual inputs. You mention ASIO, then how about support for ASIO4ALL?  Within the control panel for ASIO4ALL, I can configure a virtual audio cable as the input ( ASIO4ALL just wraps the WDM driver in this case) and the output as the ASIO driver for my hardware device. Works well with Sound Forge.

mQa is dead!

On 4/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, Miska said:

If you generally prefer ones with shorter time domain response, then at higher sampling rates things like roll-off starting earlier and ending later has less impact overall, because content level within the transition area is much lower in level.

This is generally about whether you prefer more emphasis on frequency- or time-domain. Higher the source sampling rate, less there are trade-offs between the two. Ultimately at DSD or DXD-like PCM rates this becomes largely non-issue and other things (modulators/noise-shapers/linearity) dominate. 

By DSD/DXD like PCM rates do you mean 384/768khz, or do you mean DSD128/DSD256 as i can still notice more room ambience/reverb trails using poly-sinc-shrt compared to poly-sinc-xtr, and poly-sinc using 768khz/DSD256.

Hi. I am excited about HQP4 and have been playing with it for a few days now.

I have just discovered an odd behaviour with 4.01. I am using an RME ADI-2 DAC fs. When I have the headphones plugged in and engage HQ player, the RME switches to Line out, muting the phones. This is not the case with HQplayer 3.5. I tried offsetting the channels in HQ player 4, thinking that perhaps the ASIO driver would see the headphone out as ch 3/4 but I did not have success with this.

The RME switches between phones and line properly when using the optical input just fine.

Any input would be helpful.

- J

Re: Mac & HQ Player 4.0.1... I enabled 2wire and now it works...  Yea, but why ???

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Seems to be some strange network problem, HQPlayer failing to bind for listening network connections. I have a potential guess, please leave HQPlayer closed for five minutes before trying to start it again. If it doesn't help, rebooting macOS at least should help if my guess is correct.

Another problem but not fatal here is having DAC as input device:

2019/04/29 23:25:50 CoreAudio input device: Gungnir Gen 5 (39) - Schiit Audio 
  2019/04/29 23:25:50 CoreAudio input selected device: 39

I rebooted mac OS couple of times, it didn't help. During reboots Gungnir's relay clicked several times as it goes usually when sample rates change.

After that I run an app called Onyx which does a kind of a maintenance of the system. I also trashed HQPlayer plist files. Removed Gungnir from input device menu. And, after reboot I turned Gungnir off and on. I do not know what did work from this, but now there is no failed sound device notification, drag and drop works and I can listen 4.0.1. Never happened anything like this with 3.

i'v made few blind test between HQP3 and HQP4  with the same  polisync ext2 asdm7 DSD512 and the bad news is that i can't hear any difference , the good news is that they both sounds wonderfull .

thanks to Lucretius , i finally have the input feature on HQplayer 4 working , think i am the first watching GOT season 8 in DSD 512 🤪

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

After that I run an app called Onyx which does a kind of a maintenance of the system. I also trashed HQPlayer plist files. Removed Gungnir from input device menu. And, after reboot I turned Gungnir off and on. I do not know what did work from this, but now there is no failed sound device notification, drag and drop works and I can listen 4.0.1. Never happened anything like this with 3.

Note that it may start failing if you select same device for input and output like you had. I have now added error message to the settings dialog if both are the same.

6 hours ago, lucretius said:

Sorry, I should have said virtual inputs. You mention ASIO, then how about support for ASIO4ALL?  Within the control panel for ASIO4ALL, I can configure a virtual audio cable as the input ( ASIO4ALL just wraps the WDM driver in this case) and the output as the ASIO driver for my hardware device. Works well with Sound Forge.

You could try it. Only limitation is that you need to use WASAPI for output then. Because ASIO API design doesn't allow loading multiple ASIO drivers simultaneously...

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

i'v made few blind test between HQP3 and HQP4  with the same  polisync ext2 asdm7 DSD512 and the bad news is that i can't hear any difference , the good news is that they both sounds wonderfull .

thanks to Lucretius , i finally have the input feature on HQplayer 4 working , think i am the first watching GOT season 8 in DSD 512 🤪

I hear difference. 4 gives more focused, better positioned sound. Or, interesting detail - 4 sounds better to me on very low volume level, the sound is more clear and well defined. Anyway, the difference in sound is enough for going to upgrade, imo. Just waiting before Miska will fix and polish the product)

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, I set input to default.

That is fine when input is not used and it doesn't happen to be configured to be the same device as output configured in HQPlayer. The OS default devices can be tricky for various ways.

I think I'll add option to select "none" as input device when not used to avoid problems related to dangling input devices.

5 hours ago, Miska said:
11 hours ago, lucretius said:

You could try it. Only limitation is that you need to use WASAPI for output then. Because ASIO API design doesn't allow loading multiple ASIO drivers simultaneously...

ASIO4ALL creates settings for each application, entered by the user via the driver's control panel. I need to access the driver control panel for ASIO4ALL from within HQPlayer. Currently, there is no facility for doing so within HQPlayer.   

mQa is dead!

exaSound ASIO driver:

I previously reported that HQP4Desktop does not see the exaSound ASIO driver.

I just discovered that this also is true of the NAA.  It only sees Core Audio devices, not the exaSound ASIO driver, regardless of whether I'm using HQP3 or HQP4 to output to the NAA.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

@Miska Among windows, linux and mac os these OS, which version of HQplayer you think has been best optimized for running filters in terms of CPU multi-core and GPU cuda offload?

I believe mojave cannot support Nvidia graphic card, so cuda offload on that system will be a problem.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

I'm one of the early adopters of HQP 3.x, now I've some doubts about HQP 4.x:

1. How the "maintenance mode" apply to 3.x? I mean, if a modification on one of the upcoming OSX/Linux major/maintenance releases will broke HQP, is this going to be fixed?
  2. I have a headless Linux computer running HQP 3.25.x and controlled by NoMachine via iPhone (ugly) or MacBookPro OSX device. I would like to keep my linux headless computer for playout and having a nice remote control via iPhone APP and MAcBookPro ... what should I choice? HQP 4.0 Desktop or Embedded?