IGNORED

HQ Player

12 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Ah, maybe client is not working because I am RDP’ing into the Server.  

Very likely yes, Client very likely won't work that way...

13 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Any idea why Roon does not see HQPlayer 4 but sees HQPlayer 3 on same machine?  iPv6 is enabled.  Anything else I can try?

I have a change done for this, let's see if it helps. My Roon is running on Mac Mini (on macOS High Sierra) and it can talk to other Windows/Mac/Linux computers running HQPlayer 4. But I'm hopeful that my hunch about the potential problem is correct...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

21 minutes ago, firedog said:

So I installed v4 on my server and client on my control PC. HQP server is playing back a selection. When I open the client, I just get a blank screen. No connection to HQP server and nothing displayed. I've tried putting in IP address on my network of the server, and also the hostname of the server. Still no connection between client and server. 
Any ideas?

You get the GUI displayed correctly? Does the top-left drop-list show your server or only "localhost"? Which OS is this? Is the server running on same machine as client? If they are and you go to drop-list and press enter after "localhost", do you get connection up?

49 minutes ago, Miska said:

You get the GUI displayed correctly? Does the top-left drop-list show your server or only "localhost"? Which OS is this? Is the server running on same machine as client? If they are and you go to drop-list and press enter after "localhost", do you get connection up?

Yes, the client displays correctly. The left drop down list shows localhost, but I changed it to the IP of the server and also to the name of the server in order to try and get a connection to the server. The client and server are on different machines; both server and client are windows 10 machines. My server doesn't have openGL capability, so I can't run the ciient there.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, the client displays correctly. The left drop down list shows localhost, but I changed it to the IP of the server and also to the name of the server in order to try and get a connection to the server. The client and server are on different machines; both server and client are windows 10 machines. My server doesn't have openGL capability, so I can't run the ciient there.

The client uses similar auto-discovery as is used for NAA to find the server. If the server doesn't automatically appear on the drop-list, there may be some connectivity problem. You could check if the 4.0.1 hot fix I just pushed out helps this case or not... (no changes on the client side, only server)

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Very likely yes, Client very likely won't work that way...

I have a change done for this, let's see if it helps. My Roon is running on Mac Mini (on macOS High Sierra) and it can talk to other Windows/Mac/Linux computers running HQPlayer 4. But I'm hopeful that my hunch about the potential problem is correct...

I was able to open HQP 4 Client on another machine and the Client sees the HQPlayer 4 Desktop running on Server 2016 that Roon fails to see (eg. the machine HQPlayer 4 Desktop is running on is listed in the drop down box)...so it seems like network connectivity is okay.  However, Roon does not see it.  I am using the newly posted 4.01 version and it did not solve the issue for me.  Again, Roon can see v3, but not v4...so strange! 

Also interesting is HQP 4 Client sees the HPQ 4 Desktop regardless if the "network control" button is activated or not on HQP 4 Desktop.  I had previously thought network control is only activated if the button is on.

Thank you.

P.S. While I see the HQPlayer 4 Desktop machine in the drop down box, I don't see any album/library info...so not sure if it's 100% working right.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, Miska said:

No, there's just single license for all platforms now. Having separate licenses for Windows and macOS+Linux has been annoyance for many, especially when people transition from one OS to another. And since all three now use same license key system, it is possible (not originally the case for 3.x).

Brilliant! 😊

3 hours ago, Miska said:

The client uses similar auto-discovery as is used for NAA to find the server. If the server doesn't automatically appear on the drop-list, there may be some connectivity problem. You could check if the 4.0.1 hot fix I just pushed out helps this case or not... (no changes on the client side, only server)

The hotfix did solve the problem. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks, Jussi. Running HQ Player 4.01 I can drag a playlist into desktop (server), select localhost from client dropdown, initiate playback from client and the embedded art appears correctly, track timer advances properly during playback, etc. The hotfix seems to have resolved my issues as well, and it's quick release is appreciated.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

11 hours ago, Miska said:

I'm just curious is there a reason to stick to non-current version on macOS? But generally I try to support current and current - 1, but not older.

Mojave reformats the startup volume as APFS.  This is great for Macs having an SSD startup drive, but there are many reports that APFS has issues with spinning disks and Fusion drives.

Of course, one could use an external SSD as the startup drive.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I can upsampling from PCM to DSD 128 with my Esoteric K05x for 44.1 or 88.2, but no sound with 96 or 192 file, can someone help, please.

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

22 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

You need software that routes the sound to a virtual audio INPUT device so that HQP can choose that virtual device as its input.

Audio Hijack captures audio from a Mac app and transmits it to an OUTPUT device.  To route Audio Hijack's output to an INPUT device that HQP can receive from, you could use Soundflower (free and open source).

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases/tag/2.0b2

If Soundflower proves to be flaky on your system, you could ask Rogue Amoeba if they will give you a discount on Rogue Ameoba "Loopback" because you already own Audio Hijack.

any software to do that on Windows ?  it would be nice to listen some  Youtube live with Hqplayer . 😉

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Also interesting is HQP 4 Client sees the HPQ 4 Desktop regardless if the "network control" button is activated or not on HQP 4 Desktop.  I had previously thought network control is only activated if the button is on.

P.S. While I see the HQPlayer 4 Desktop machine in the drop down box, I don't see any album/library info...so not sure if it's 100% working right.

It answers to the discovery if the button is not pressed, but rejects connections. So the network control button needs to be pressed down to allow connections from other places than "localhost".

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

However, Roon does not see it.  I am using the newly posted 4.01 version and it did not solve the issue for me.  Again, Roon can see v3, but not v4...so strange!

Can you email me a log file of starting up 4.0.1 and trying to connect from Roon?

1 hour ago, mitch751 said:

I can upsampling from PCM to DSD 128 with my Esoteric K05x for 44.1 or 88.2, but no sound with 96 or 192 file, can someone help, please.

Please make sure rate limit is set to 44.1k x128 (5.6 MHz) and that "Auto rate family" is not enabled. Many DACs don't support DSD at 48k-base rates.

2 hours ago, juanitox said:

any software to do that on Windows ?  it would be nice to listen some  Youtube live with Hqplayer . 😉

i just try Virtual Cable software to enable a virtual input card on HQplayer 4 , but unfortunatly it did'nt work 😓

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

22 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Can you please explain a bit about what makes the AMSDM7 512+fs modulator ‘special’ (your word I think)? Or, to put it another way, how it differs from ASDM7? (Or why with t&a DAC8 and 512 DSD one might choose it?)

with thanks as ever

It is a kind of "multi-bit" modulator, but it needs a high rate to work properly. DSD512 or even better DSD1024.

@Miska

Can you give us an idea of a possible roadmap?

(no dates, just more what features that can be added).

Has discussion with Roon about control from inside Roon or some way integrate HQPlayer with Roon developed, or is that more or less a dead end for the time being?

I must say that after the Embedded arrived to SonicTransporter, I only missing control it from Roon. 

I would expect many would like to see something equal with ROCK and NUC’s as has been achieved with Sonore. I expect to do Embedded for ROCK is the most easy part if there’s a willing from Roon to do so. 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

It answers to the discovery if the button is not pressed, but rejects connections. So the network control button needs to be pressed down to allow connections from other places than "localhost".

Can you email me a log file of starting up 4.0.1 and trying to connect from Roon?

Hi, here is the log file.  192.168.1.154 is the machine where RoonServer resides (it is on a different machine than HQP 4 Desktop).

HQPlayer4Desktop.log

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is a kind of "multi-bit" modulator, but it needs a high rate to work properly. DSD512 or even better DSD1024.

I’m not sure I know what you mean by kind of “multi-bit” if I’m using it to output DSD. At those high rates does it offer any advantages over ASDM7?

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

i just try Virtual Cable software to enable a virtual input card on HQplayer 4 , but unfortunatly it did'nt work 😓

Yes, I tried this with VB-Audio, and no, it did not work for me either. 🙁

A shame, if HQPlayer could be used to act as the output for a virtual sound card this would be a bit of a game changer.  I'd love to be able to use YouTube streamed to my main rig.  I can do it at the moment, but only from an iPad via Airplay.  To do this from a PC via NAA would be splendid.  I wonder how much it would take to make it work?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

10 hours ago, Theobetley said:

also I am not able to run 24/96 flac files

Curious, this is the exact reverse of what I was finding with some filters, which would play 24/96 but not 16/44.1.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.