IGNORED

HQ Player

The Berkeley Alpha USB comes with the Thesycon driver for Windows 7 and is installed.

In HQPlayer settings I can choose between ASIO or WASAPI.

I have HQPlayer functioning as it should with either ASIO or WASAPI.

The Berkeley has exclusive access in sound properties.

When using HQplayer or Foobar and selecting 196 there is no signal lock on the DAC. I assume it is oversampling internally. No lock and no output for sound.

Are there any filters you recommend for PCM playback on the DAC. The Trivista uses a Burr Brown DSD1792A 24/192 DAC in PCM mode.

MAK

OK, then use ASIO with your Berkeley USB to SPDIF converter.

I don't know why you are not getting lock with 192k DAC switch setting. I looked at information about your DAC. The 96k/192k switch is used to select target sample rate to which the DAC is upsampling PCM content when it has lower sample rate. The DAC chip is then still oversampling further, as it is delta sigma DAC, but with other lower quality "sample and hold" oversampling method. So the best you could do with your DAC and HQPlayer/foobar2000 is to always send 192k content to it to substitute it's first upsampling stage with higher quality processing in PC software player. This can improve your DAC sound, but better pairings with HQPlayer are DACs which allow higher PCM sample rates or DSD on their input. Then HQPlayer can do more job and the effect of using it is bigger. Best HQPlayer use case is to completely avoid that "sample and hold" (SOH) stage by sending DSD content into delta sigma DAC.

As upsampling PCM filter try the poly-sinc family, for example poly-sinc-xtr or poly-sinc for classical or other recordings, which don't contain modern fast electronic sounds. Try poly-sinc*-mp for those fast ones. You get more sense of space in the first case and more detail on fast instruments in the 2nd. As NS/Dither use NS9 or NS1if you get your DAC to work with 192k input or NS4 for 96k input.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I would not recommend you to go down the virtualized route for HQPE, hypervisors are not very fond of high cpu tasks and you will lose performance but if you still want to try it out then install Ubuntu from scratch and HQPE, I can post the entire commands chain if you want 

Jussi,

It would be greatly appreciated if you would post announcements of new releases of HQPlayer in this thread.

As I don't belong to Facebook, I (and others?) often forget to check your page there, as was the case until today with 3.25.2.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

11 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, does anyone know how to run the HQPlayer embedded image on hyper-v?  I tried converting the img image to vhdx, but getting errors saying the image must not be compressed, encrypted or sparse...Thanks!

The image is a raw block device image, but you can convert it to other formats using for example Qemu tools. You need to enable EFI boot to boot it up.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

It would be greatly appreciated if you would post announcements of new releases of HQPlayer in this thread.

As I don't belong to Facebook, I (and others?) often forget to check your page there, as was the case until today with 3.25.2.

Twitter is another alternative, would that work? I would like to avoid spamming, so announcements are more like "opt-in".

I'll try to think about other methods too.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, ebrandon said:

So I moved some files from my network drive to the PC's local drive and the pauses seem to have gone away.  Are there any settings in HQPlayer, for example to make it download a whole song from a network drive before playing it?

No, there's not such thing because it is quite tricky case overall, because it would be subject to all kinds of corner cases with large files and such, especially when trying to gaplessly transition to next track. Overall it would be better to inspect why the network file access stalls. If the source file is not particularly large, it shouldn't impose notable bandwidth usage or problems.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Happy Holidays to everyone!

I'm slightly less active over the holidays, but back at full steam a bit after New Year.

Please enjoy a wonderful holiday season. HQPlayer has brought many music lovers joy, and your presence on the forum is much appreciated. That said, we all need time to rejuvenate with family and friends.

Best!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

On 12/24/2018 at 9:49 AM, Hammer said:

Yes, I recognize the downsides of running in vm, but wanted to try and see the results.  I’m currently running HQPlayer desktop in a Windows VM, but it’s a bit clunky, so I think running the image will be better.  Thanks!

Well I can tell you that once you go HQPE there is no turning back to windows, the clunkiness you may notice is a windows thing. I will post my install commands (with updated versions) when I get to my computer, I will include the wireless config etc just in case you are interested to go full physical non vm as I stream wireless and access my HQPE and NAA wireless for updates. 

Merry Christmas everybody 

On 12/19/2018 at 2:36 PM, zerung said:

What a wonderful value HQ Player has provided.

Year after year.

Updates for free.

I feel (Will) I should give back ($), for the extra services that has been provided without expectation.

I would love to hear more people's views on this?

Wholeheartedly agree with you on the fantastic value that @Miska has been contributing in development and continuous improvement of the HQP.

I had selected to purchase the license of HQPE in addition to HQP Desktop as my support and salute to @Miska, in spite of the difficulties and problems that I had encountered in picking up on how to use the HQPE on my system.

BTW, wish you and all CA fans/ friends a Merry Christmas and Happy & Wonderful New Year!

On 12/24/2018 at 12:21 PM, Miska said:

Twitter is another alternative, would that work? I would like to avoid spamming, so announcements are more like "opt-in".

I'll try to think about other methods too.

Some of us don't belong to Twitter either. :)

"Opt-in" email notifications of new HQP releases would be ideal, if it's not too much trouble. Perhaps a check box with place to enter an email address on the HQPlayer page of the Signalyst site would do the trick.

Another possibility might be to have a "Check for updates" option under Help on the HQP interface.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

29 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

You can get that info here, or at the Signalyst Web site, I sent the link earlier.

It's not a secret.

I know where to find the information, but it still would be nice to be notified of new releases instead of having to visit the Signalyst site to see if there are any. It's not uncommon for software developers to do this.

Hi, I'm running HQPlayer in a Windows 10 Hyper-V vm and found that Process Lasso is a really neat tool to make sure HQPlayer has all the resources it needs.  Right now, I am allocating 16 virtual cores to the machine and within the machine, using Process Lasso to allocate cores 0-7 for everything besides HQPlayer and cores 8-15 solely for HQPlayer.  It seems to work well, but I wonder if anyone more experienced with this has any suggestions.  Also, if my most compute intensive workload is up-sampling 192 PCM to DSD512, what is the optimal number of cores to allocate to HQPlayer?  I read somewhere that there is a trade off between increasing core count and the overhead of managing more cores in HQPlayer.  Thanks!

Hi together, I'm playing around with Roon +HQPlayer, mainly to get rid off the  Amarra Player, which still doesn't work after 1.5 years.... 

I saw that there are quite a number of filters which are not described in the actual manual incl. the MAC package. Do I miss something? Thanks for helping out here!

I know you hav a  PC but Mac is absolutely incredible  with any music software I have ever used.....

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."