IGNORED

HQ Player

10 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

on Linux how do you remove hqplayer to install updated version ?

Pretty much the same way you installed it.  How did you do that?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

19 hours ago, Miska said:

AK4497 seems to be a bit difference design and datasheet doesn't provide much details. So I first need to get my hands on a DAC with it before having some kind of view how it behaves.

But generally TI chips have multi-element current source array, more like DAC8 DSD, Holo, Denafrips or my DSC1. While Cirrus Logic and AKM run bitstream to a switched capacitor low pass filter output stage.

I remember a thread here on CA Forum a few years ago where people were trying to discuss / guess what ESS was doing inside the Sabre DAC chips, with DSD.

Have you finally cracked what happens after all these years now, or is it still very much a myth?

For example for the ES9038Q2M used in the Pro-Ject S2 DAC (which I have also) the datasheet was posted here.

Any hints in there?

The guess all these years was that the incoming DSD (1-bit 22MHz for example) is converted to 6-bit 22MHz. So it's not really DSD anymore but same DSD rate?

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Jussi I ntice when music stutters I go and check naa it says asio unknown selector ?

Are you always playing to the same NAA? Sounds like the problem is there and the ASIO driver is having some trouble... That's also why changing HQPlayer machine between Windows/Linux doesn't change anything because NAA's are always handled same way.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

For troubleshooting it is good to simplify the setup as much as possible. So if you are using NAA, try removing it from the picture and connecting DAC straight to HQPlayer computer. Same also for source, try playing back files only using HQPlayer, from local storage and without Roon or such. If this works, you can step by step put things back and see when it stops working. Otherwise there are too many variables in the picture and it is hard to figure out where the problem could be because it could be in so many places.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:26 AM, Jigafur said:

Anyone tried HQplayer (multichannel asio) with sound card E-MU 1616m PCIe? Windows or Linux?

Or E-MU 1820m

Will it work?

Good luck with EMU card.  I have 1212M which sounds really nice but it stopped working with Windows 10 some time ago.  Unfortunately Creative havent updated their driver since 2011, and from forums I have checked many people have the same problem.

AFAIK there are no Linux drivers which is a shame as I use Ubuntu.  But HQPlayer with my USB dac sounds superb.  I am very happy with this set up and have now accepted that EMU card is out of support and totally obsolete.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:53 AM, rikirk said:

So Antipodes EX will work as an Ethernet end point running just HQPlayer from any PC or it requires the CX server to work?

Just seen this post.

The Antipodes EX can run HQPlayer NAA, connecting for example to HQPlayer Desktop on Windows, and can also run Embedded HQ Player Server. A CX is not needed.

Hi, I have a feature idea for HQPlayer and I wonder if it will be helpful to others.  

I use Roon as a front end for HQPlayer and have HQPlayer running on a PC with an Nvidia card in my basement.  I use either DietPi or NAA to stream from my HQPlayer PC.

Right now, To play music in different rooms, I need to remote into my basement pc and change the NAA in HQPlayer setting.  It would be really useful if HQPlayer has a feature that automatically selects the right naa on my network depending on the output zone in Roon.  Or alternatively, allow the selection of NAA from the Roon UI.  

Obviously an instance of HQPlayer can only output one stream whereas Roon can play to multiple zones at the same time, but HQPlayer can be “locked” from changing the output NAA if it is currently playing to avoid conflicts.

Thanks, hammer

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I have a feature idea for HQPlayer and I wonder if it will be helpful to others.  

I use Roon as a front end for HQPlayer and have HQPlayer running on a PC with an Nvidia card in my basement.  I use either DietPi or NAA to stream from my HQPlayer PC.

Right now, To play music in different rooms, I need to remote into my basement pc and change the NAA in HQPlayer setting.  It would be really useful if HQPlayer has a feature that automatically selects the right naa on my network depending on the output zone in Roon.  Or alternatively, allow the selection of NAA from the Roon UI.  

Obviously an instance of HQPlayer can only output one stream whereas Roon can play to multiple zones at the same time, but HQPlayer can be “locked” from changing the output NAA if it is currently playing to avoid conflicts.

Thanks, hammer

That is doable for HQPlayer 4.x series (Embedded at the moment), it already sort of has support for such. Then it would just need some additional work at Roon side for selecting the output which is outside of my control.

Moved pc and connected straight to dac as Jussi suggested to try and figure out issues.Today have an new one.Hqplayer will not respond at all just flickering.Have to close by task manager.Hqplayer is closed but the bar with the blue bar that goes back and forth when initializing is still on secret as just a white flickering bar even though HQPlayer is closed ?

On 12/10/2018 at 6:22 PM, Miska said:

For troubleshooting it is good to simplify the setup as much as possible. So if you are using NAA, try removing it from the picture and connecting DAC straight to HQPlayer computer. Same also for source, try playing back files only using HQPlayer, from local storage and without Roon or such. If this works, you can step by step put things back and see when it stops working. Otherwise there are too many variables in the picture and it is hard to figure out where the problem could be because it could be in so many places.

Did all you suggestions.Issue still persists with dsd256.In contact with dac company maybe they can figure something out.

12 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I saw that there's a new version of th NAA image for x86-64 and was going to update my USB key.  It looks to be about twice the size as the prior image.  Any new features on this one?  Thank you.  Hammer

Some component updates and couple of new tools. But the only new feature is that it is running as RAM image which also makes it compress poorly, that's part of the reason for bigger size.

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I just upgraded to a Mac Mini 2018 from a Mac Min 2010 and am fiddling with HQPlayer settings without really knowing what I’m doing. I’m using HQPlayer Desktop 3.20.1 with Roon Core 1.5 all running from the mini. DSP in Roon is disabled.

Mac Mini 2018 specs

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 512GB SSD onboard

Music is stored on a Synology DS218+ NAS. This is running through a microrendu in NAA mode to a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. Below is a capture of my current settings.

First question. Based upon my configuration and DAC, can anyone recommend any obvious adjustments to the HQPlayer preferences to get the most out of the Benchmark?

Second question. If I wanted to try upsampling PCM files to DSD, what would be some good settings to start with? Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-12-17 09.31.21.png

Digital: 2010(!) Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz ; L2 Cache: 3 MB; Memory:8 GB > Roon > HQ Player (polysinc, NS9 upsampling PCM to 192 kHz) > Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans USB cable > Sonore MicroRendu (in NAA mode w/ Sonore DC-4 > LPS-1) > Benchmark HGC DAC2 > Naim Nait XS / Naim Flatcap XS > Naim Naic cables > Spendor A5s or Sennheiser HD600s.

Hi All, 

I was using Pro-ject S2 DAC,  but just bought a new one:  IFI Nano black.  It has DSD capabilities, but I can't get HQP to do DSD, best output I could get is 384 PCM.  The four settings on the main page are grayed out (sample settings, etc) and nothing I could do in settings would change it.  Note that I CAN play through HQP, but not DSD.  Here are my settings:

ifi1.PNG

ifi2.PNG

ifi3.PNG

27 minutes ago, goldiver said:

1. How do I add a GENRE view to library

There's no genre view in HQPlayer itself. I think some of the remote control applications may have such.

28 minutes ago, goldiver said:

2. For DAC connection via XMOS USB-Coaxial converter (24/192 limit) does AUTO setting in Bits recognise the DAC's maximum bit-rate? (Currently I have it set to 24).

Since coaxial S/PDIF is unidirectional, DAC properties cannot be detected automatically. This is one of the reasons to have those settings in HQPlayer, so one can tell what kind of properties the DAC has (maximum rate and word length).

7 minutes ago, KCJay said:

Hi All, 

I was using Pro-ject S2 DAC,  but just bought a new one:  IFI Nano black.  It has DSD capabilities, but I can't get HQP to do DSD, best output I could get is 384 PCM.  The four settings on the main page are grayed out (sample settings, etc) and nothing I could do in settings would change it.  Note that I CAN play through HQP, but not DSD.  Here are my settings:

ifi1.PNG

ifi2.PNG

ifi3.PNG

When using ASIO, you don't need to use DoP, just select "None" as "SDM Pack" method.

When the right-most drop list in main window is set to "Auto", HQPlayer is automatically switching between PCM and DSD modes depending on content PCM -> PCM, and DSD -> DSD. If you'd like to get PCM -> DSD, then select "SDM (DSD)" from that list and the other selections become available.

6 hours ago, timtom said:

Music is stored on a Synology DS218+ NAS. This is running through a microrendu in NAA mode to a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. Below is a capture of my current settings.

First question. Based upon my configuration and DAC, can anyone recommend any obvious adjustments to the HQPlayer preferences to get the most out of the Benchmark?

Second question. If I wanted to try upsampling PCM files to DSD, what would be some good settings to start with? Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-12-17 09.31.21.png

I would leave off the "Auto rate family" in this case. PCM settings look otherwise fine, but specifications say that maximum input word length to DAC2 HGC is 24-bit, so just in case you could select 24 as "DAC Bits".

For SDM (DSD) settings, select 44.1k x64 as Bit rate limit. You could also try if 48k x64 works with the Benchmark DAC. I don't know...

Later you could check which one you prefer ASDM7 or ASDM5 as modulator.