IGNORED

HQ Player

i9=9900k

CPU Mark

8 cores

Single Thread Rating: 2900

Wow!

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I mentioned the filter that I can run at DSD512. The reason I mentioned that is because my NUC7i7DNHE can’t run all filters at DSD512. Also note the “2s”.

So can you mention which filters are causing you stuttering?

Since we have the same NUC essentially, there’s a good chance the same filter will cause me stuttering at DSD512 also.

I wouldn’t consider myself an expert, but I do own 4 different i7 quad core computers and none of them can do all the dsd512/asdm7 filters. But mainly the poly-sinc-xtr is the one that is so difficult to play without stutters. They seem more efficient overall with Linux than Windows. But not a big difference imo. Most of the i7’s I have will do the poly sinc-xtr-2s which is just about as good and less demanding. 

I assume it’s normal to not expect an i7 quad core to do much beyond that point. But am curious to know which filters you are not able to use other than the poly-sinc-xtr

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

At the moment one of the most capable price/performance combinations seem to be highest clock quad core CPUs and recent Nvidia GPU. My i7-7700K + GeForce RTX 2080 is pretty cool, that upped with 2080 Ti would be even more.

I also need to get one of the second generation Ryzen 7's and see how it fares.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

44 minutes ago, Bimmer100 said:

I’m curious to try the new poly-sinc-ext2 filter. Oddly I missed it and haven’t looked at them for a while. Have been using poly-sinc-xtr-2s with my older machine and asdm7 at dsd512 on an i7-quad core at 4.2ghz and 1080ti. But would not do the non 2s variant unfortunately. My new machine is capable of doing poly sinc xtr 2s at dsd1024 and asdm7 on an I9-9900k and @5.1ghz on all 8 cores with 2080ti. Bummer it won’t do dsd1024 with the single pass variant - poly-sinc-xtr

ext2 is somewhat heavier than xtr-2s, due to 2x higher intermediate rate. But otherwise they would be largely the same load, just different design. But still not bad at all. So likely it will run for you.

I don't have 9900K yet, have you checked what clock rate it really ends up running at? 5.1 GHz? With offload you can probably get it running close to max turbo boost, helping the DSD1024 case. But then it needs more from the GPU, probably something like RTX2080Ti. So far I haven't got spare money for Titan V to check it out (and it seems to be hard to obtain one too).

Every time the output rate is doubled the load also roughly doubles. So if DSD512 was demanding, DSD1024 certainly is. If one is having trouble getting adaptive modulators like ASDM5 or ASDM7 run at DSD1024, using DSD5 is one option. So when close to the system capabilities, worth trying as an option.

9900K is probably a good test for GPU offload vs CPU-only. And for DSD1024 also with Multicore DSP set to Auto (grayed) vs Enabled (checked). Because at DSD1024 it is getting so close to the limits that it is hard to predict upfront which way it will achieve best performance with certain settings combination.

going CPU only is a nice solution for fanless silent PC  when you have it in your listening room.

with my I7 6700K i can play my favorites filters : poly-sinc-ext2  and poly-sinc-XTR 2s  at DSD512

what new Proc could run alone  poly-sinc XTR non 2S ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Usually the processor load gets increasing as I implement new things. But I also implement new optimizations, so sometimes the load can also drop.

You can go back and forth between old and new versions using same procedure, just keep old installation packages at hand in case you want to go back. At some point I split the configuration and library data from one HQPlayer.xml to separate settings.xml and library.xml so switching across versions may not transfer the setting/library changes along.

Is it ok to have two different HQPlayer versions installed simultaneously on my Mac?

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

going CPU only is a nice solution for fanless silent PC  when you have it in your listening room.

with my I7 6700K i can play my favorites filters : poly-sinc-ext2  and poly-sinc-XTR 2s  at DSD512

what new Proc could run alone  poly-sinc XTR non 2S ?

I have only one CPU that can do it, but it is not new (i7-6950X). But I think there have been some reports for the newer Extreme Edition >= 16 core models and also for the biggest AMD Threadrippers.

DSD1024 is more challenging because you also need higher clock rates and when you increase core counts the clocks go down. Solution to that is high-clock lower core count CPU combined with GPU (high core count).

If I don't use Roon Server on the same NUC and instead use Audirvana on my Mac to play to my fanless NUC7i7DNHE HQPE (via UPnP), I can even do non-2s poly-sinc-lp at DSD512....

1407247219_ScreenShot2019-01-19at9_34_40pm.thumb.png.0e1ed1f4ceda2b453009687545b5eddd.png

Temperature after a couple hours, in fanless case:

948692715_ScreenShot2019-01-19at9_39_02pm.thumb.png.dea18358acad29950eab57f796b29463.png

If I try to use Roon at the same time (i.e. on the same NUC) with poly-sinc-lp it can stutter with non-2s at DSD512, especially when adding new Tidal albums to library (CPU spike) or playing a Tidal MQA album (CPU increase due to 1st unfold).

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Both i7-8700 and Ryzen 7 2700 have base clock of 3.2GHz, but AMD has 8 physical cores, Intel 6 cores.

So based on that alone, do you expect HQPe to run better on the AMD?

Or both very similar?

As the plain clock frequency doesn't mean much it is hard to estimate. But if you look out for floating point benchmark results for both you can get some kind of idea of relative performance between the two.

For example based on this they are fairly close in multi-core performance, while Intel leads in single core performance:

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/2063

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/2128

Hi Jussi

I just loaded WinServer 2019 core on my i7 quad core 8650u fanless minipc

No problem even loaded the iFi idsd micro driver using ForceUnsigned command

Installed HQPlayer 3..5.2(??latest version)

Error missing AVRT.dll, Opengl32.dll and Qwave.dll

So i copied these diwnloaded drivers to HQPlayer Desktop 3 directory

Went to Powershell and  ran Install windows feature command for Qwave

wentv to Command line and ran vc_redist.x64.exe 

and rebooted 

Went to taskmgr again and ran Hqplayer

error 0cx000007b error

what did i do wrong

my other i7 6700k PC is running WinServer2016 Core /AO/Fidelizer 8.3Pro /HQplayer 3.5.2 not a swear!!!???

thx

1 hour ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

Any laptops that can run the best & most demanding filters?

A lot of laptops with i9 CPU's are coming out at a reasonable prices, but are laptop i9's powerful enough compared to ones on a desktop?

I remember seeing somewhere that a i7 outperformed a i9 when it came to using multi-cores.

Best laptop I have is "HQ" series 7th gen quad-core i7 with 900-series GeForce GPU. (Lenovo T470p)

Surprisingly fast machine. It can do DSD512 with -2s filters, but I have not even asked it to do non-2s filters.

Even if a laptop can do some heavy processing, the cooling system will easily start sounding like a vacuum cleaner due to small and fast rotating fans. So from that perspective some bigger computers are better. I use my laptop with iFi micro iDSD BL when traveling to have a compact DSD512 capable system for headphones. But for regular listening at home I use different kind of computers...

I'm having issues playing 24/96, 24/192, or other hi-res files through HQPlayer, using a matching resolution or with upsampling set to either PCM or DSD. I have tried changing the upsampling rates, the bit rates, and the filters, but have not had any success. With PCM, there is a tiny bit of sound that I can barely hear while (Roon with and/or HQPlayer) plays the audio files, even if I turn the volume all the way up. With DSD, the files will play (in Roon with and/or HQPlayer), but I only hear silence. My streamer is an Euphony Audio PTS. It outputs via USB, which I send through a Singxer SU-1 to feed I2S to my KTE Holo Spring DAC.

I'm sure other people have had these issues, so I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find any answers. Any guidance you can provide will be helpful.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, dc-audiogeek said:

I'm having issues playing 24/96, 24/192, or other hi-res files through HQPlayer, using a matching resolution or with upsampling set to either PCM or DSD. I have tried changing the upsampling rates, the bit rates, and the filters, but have not had any success. With PCM, there is a tiny bit of sound that I can barely hear while (Roon with and/or HQPlayer) plays the audio files, even if I turn the volume all the way up. With DSD, the files will play (in Roon with and/or HQPlayer), but I only hear silence. My streamer is an Euphony Audio PTS. It outputs via USB, which I send through a Singxer SU-1 to feed I2S to my KTE Holo Spring DAC.

I'm sure other people have had these issues, so I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find any answers. Any guidance you can provide will be helpful.

Thanks!

I just test ran a 24/96 track upsample to 384K with no issue, and this is using the same chain as yours (Roon+HQPlayer --> Streamer --> SU-1 --> KTE Holo Spring) except a different streamer.  Under setting, I set max to 384K, and use PCM.

3 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I just test ran a 24/96 track upsample to 384K with no issue, and this is using the same chain as yours (Roon+HQPlayer --> Streamer --> SU-1 --> KTE Holo Spring) except a different streamer.  Under setting, I set max to 384K, and use PCM.

Hmm...okay, I'll try that again. Thanks for doing that.

As the plain clock frequency doesn't mean much it is hard to estimate. But if you look out for floating point benchmark results for both you can get some kind of idea of relative performance between the two.

For example based on this they are fairly close in multi-core performance, while Intel leads in single core performance:

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/2063

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/2128

So fairly even performance but the AMD is ~20% cheaper where I am.

Cool thing is being 65W TDP (both of them), it can go into a HDPLEX fanless or Akasa case with a mini ITX  motherboard.

Someone has reported the i7-8700 can do DSD512 with non-2s poly-sinc-xtr:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/cpus-known-to-be-able-to-do-hqp-non-2s-poly-sinc-xtr-from-redbook-to-dsd512/44320/2

And that's on Windows. Of course that's only one data point and doesn't mean the AMD will...

I may find out ! Would love to run both HQPe and Roon Server on the same machine with poly-sinc-lp (non-2s) at DSD512 . I prefer both poly-sinc-short-lp and poly-sinc-lp to xtr-lp.

48 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Okay, you're right! If I set HQPlayer to 384K and PCM for my 24/96 audio files, it works. It's a shame my system can't handle upsampling hi-res audio to DSD, so I can't just set it to DSD and forget about it. I'll have to change HQPlayer settings when I listen to hi-res audio. I wonder if upsampling hi-res audio to DSD is really difficult when using HQPlayer period.

Can someone let me know if I understand this configuration correctly:

NAS->RoonCore(NUC7i7DNHE)->HQPlayer supercomputer (whatever's capable of DSD512 xtr)->RoonBridge(Fidelizer Nimitra)->T+A DAC 8 DSD.

?

Without the HQPlayer supercomputer, I could also do the upsampling inside Roon on the RoonCore, then pass the DSD512 stream via RoonBridge on the Fidelizer Nimitra to the T+A DAC 8 DSD. This is a bit more simple and easy for me to understand, but it's the above configuration I'm wondering about. 

The reason being, if the HQPlayer supercomputer has a GPU for GPU offload, then I'm going to need to cool it and that's either going to be noisy via a pump for liquid cooling or noisy via a fan from, fan cooling. That means I'll need to relocate the HQPlayer supercomputer outside my listening room, then connect them via ethernet cable.

And above, Jussi mentioned the best combo for XTR for now is likely the insano clockspeed 8-core i9 9900K + GTX 2080/2080 Ti. You get high clockspeed on 8 cores, then oodles of cores on the GPU to scale out with. If I understood his thinking correctly. 

Even if a laptop can do some heavy processing, the cooling system will easily start sounding like a vacuum cleaner due to small and fast rotating fans. So from that perspective some bigger computers are better. I use my laptop with iFi micro iDSD BL when traveling to have a compact DSD512 capable system for headphones. But for regular listening at home I use different kind of computers...

How about if the A/C in the home is cranked up, would it help to reduce the heat build up?

The new modular Alienware laptop seems to be the most powerful laptop

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13872/ces-2019-dell-alienware-area51m-dtr-laptop-9900k-geforce-rtx

8 core i9-9900K, but at a $2500+ price tag :(

57 minutes ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

How about if the A/C in the home is cranked up, would it help to reduce the heat build up?

The new modular Alienware laptop seems to be the most powerful laptop

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13872/ces-2019-dell-alienware-area51m-dtr-laptop-9900k-geforce-rtx

8 core i9-9900K, but at a $2500+ price tag :(

A/C will make some difference, but only when the ambient temperature difference is big.

Seems to be very neat machine indeed! It is not even really a laptop, but desktop computer built in a large laptop case. It has desktop CPU and desktop GPU. The i9-9900K + RTX2080 is definitely a beast combination.

Getting the maximum 95W of CPU heat and about 100+W of GPU heat out of that case, silently, is what worries me... Although with HQPlayer you likely won't end up that much total heat because it would need both the Intel CPU and GPU, and also the Nvidia GPU to be at 100% load. With games you can get close to that, but not so much with HQPlayer.

I don't know what is exact heat budget distribution between CPU and GPU on the Intel combined chips (like 9900K), but likely the GPU is at least something like 20 - 25% of the total figure. So in HQPlayer cases you don't really end up with 95W heat. While for socket 2011/2066 and AMD CPUs that don't have integrated GPU you can get much closer to the TDP figures.