IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi, I think if you list out your hardware and O/S, someone will be able to help.  For sure I’ve received a lot of help from this forum in order to get my system running the way I like...and on top of that, some tinkering just to try different configurations which is also fun.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:16 PM, Outlaw said:

I give up

Sorry, I haven't followed your issues, but what happens when you select -2s filters instead?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 12/27/2018 at 6:45 PM, acidjazz said:

Hi together, I'm playing around with Roon +HQPlayer, mainly to get rid off the  Amarra Player, which still doesn't work after 1.5 years.... 

I saw that there are quite a number of filters which are not described in the actual manual incl. the MAC package. Do I miss something? Thanks for helping out here!

What filter is there that is not described in the manual? I'd like to get the manual fixed if there's anything I've missed...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 12/28/2018 at 2:59 AM, Outlaw said:

Love HQPlayer but I must be the unluckiest guy using it.Have never been able to play dsd 256 without issues.Spent a bunch of money on new PC issues remain.Cant seem to get a answer to fix issue.Also roughly every couple of weeks HQPplayer locks up and be comes unusable.Have to do a system restore.

2A13E6AB-88FF-4222-A2D7-8B5420DDCB4B.MOV

In this picture, you have poly-sinc-xtr-mp. What do you have in "Settings" dialog?

1) If you have "Auto rate family" enabled and you DAC doesn't support 48k-base DSD-rates and your source is 48k-base, you are not going to have playback because your DAC/driver doesn't support what you are asking for.

2) If you have "Auto rate family" disabled and you are asking 48k x512 output from 44.1k-base rates, you are not going to get playback because there's no currently existing hardware that can run that in realtime... If you are asking for 44.1k x512 and your source is 48k-base, then it is doable with some of the most recent hardware, but it still takes quite a lot.

From the video I assume you are hitting case (1).

Generally, for DSD output,  "Auto rate family" makes sense only for DACs that can actually do 48k-base DSD rates. So most of the time I would recommend keeping that option disabled. This is one of the options I was reluctant to add because it can cause quite a bit of confusion, but many people demanded it, so there it is...

On 12/27/2018 at 5:36 AM, Hammer said:

Hi, I'm running HQPlayer in a Windows 10 Hyper-V vm and found that Process Lasso is a really neat tool to make sure HQPlayer has all the resources it needs.  Right now, I am allocating 16 virtual cores to the machine and within the machine, using Process Lasso to allocate cores 0-7 for everything besides HQPlayer and cores 8-15 solely for HQPlayer.  It seems to work well, but I wonder if anyone more experienced with this has any suggestions.  Also, if my most compute intensive workload is up-sampling 192 PCM to DSD512, what is the optimal number of cores to allocate to HQPlayer?  I read somewhere that there is a trade off between increasing core count and the overhead of managing more cores in HQPlayer.  Thanks!

HQPlayer looks at what kind of CPU you have and allocates the work accordingly if you select the "Auto" (grayed) for "Multicore DSP". When in "Enabled" (checked) setting, it just bangs full-on on all CPU cores there are (HyperThreading virtual siblings are ignored).

HQPlayer can utilize all cores you have, but the more important tradeoff is clock frequency vs number of cores. So try to look for a CPU that has as high as possible base-clock while having as many as possible cores. So preferably base clock between >= 3.2 GHz and as many cores as you can get. If you can have recent Nvidia GPU for CUDA, then you can reduce CPU core count and only look for maximum base-clock frequency which you get at the moment around 6-core CPUs.

There are some tasks that cannot be spread to multiple cores, so if you go all-in on core-count, you begin to suffer on base clock frequency and thus those jobs that cannot split between cores are becoming bottleneck. However, TurboBoost 3 (etc) muddy the waters a bit because they can still boost some of the cores at higher clocks a bit (if others are waiting).

On 12/27/2018 at 4:59 PM, Outlaw said:

Love HQPlayer but I must be the unluckiest guy using it.Have never been able to play dsd 256 without issues.Spent a bunch of money on new PC issues remain.Cant seem to get a answer to fix issue.Also roughly every couple of weeks HQPplayer locks up and be comes unusable.Have to do a system restore.

Every couple weeks?!  you are so lucky!   Mine does everyday! I just deal with it. I can usually reset the NAA app on my mrendu for my windows. Or my mac I force quit. More annoying than anything. 

5 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer looks at what kind of CPU you have and allocates the work accordingly if you select the "Auto" (grayed) for "Multicore DSP". When in "Enabled" (checked) setting, it just bangs full-on on all CPU cores there are (HyperThreading virtual siblings are ignored).

HQPlayer can utilize all cores you have, but the more important tradeoff is clock frequency vs number of cores. So try to look for a CPU that has as high as possible base-clock while having as many as possible cores. So preferably base clock between >= 3.2 GHz and as many cores as you can get. If you can have recent Nvidia GPU for CUDA, then you can reduce CPU core count and only look for maximum base-clock frequency which you get at the moment around 6-core CPUs.

There are some tasks that cannot be spread to multiple cores, so if you go all-in on core-count, you begin to suffer on base clock frequency and thus those jobs that cannot split between cores are becoming bottleneck. However, TurboBoost 3 (etc) muddy the waters a bit because they can still boost some of the cores at higher clocks a bit (if others are waiting).

Miska,

I use HPQ with Roon on a Macbook.  For some unknown reason, and I haven't changed any settings, HQP will no longer output DSD.  It will output PCM like normal.  I've reset my DAC (a Direct Stream Junior), restarted the Mac, etc.    It shows a DSD song playing in Roon, just no sound goes to the DAC.  I tried playing a DSD file in HQP itself, it also shows it playing, but no sound.  My settings are attached below.  Any ideas?

Thanks

HQP 1.jpg

HQP 2.jpg

HQP 3.jpg

34 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Miska,

I use HPQ with Roon on a Macbook.  For some unknown reason, and I haven't changed any settings, HQP will no longer output DSD.  It will output PCM like normal.  I've reset my DAC (a Direct Stream Junior), restarted the Mac, etc.    It shows a DSD song playing in Roon, just no sound goes to the DAC.  I tried playing a DSD file in HQP itself, it also shows it playing, but no sound.  My settings are attached below.  Any ideas?

Thanks

HQP 1.jpg

HQP 2.jpg

HQP 3.jpg

It started working after an hour of fiddling around.  Not sure why....

On 1/3/2019 at 6:34 AM, DancingSea said:

One potential problem is if the DAC is enabled as output in Roon, or if the DAC is selected as default output for macOS. You may end up having multiple applications competing for the same device.

Here's example of my settings to keep macOS and most apps away from the DAC:

335355878_ScreenShot2017-12-31at12_48_07.thumb.png.1a92cd5bc5d655a546bf072dbf233b31.png

Note on the left default inputs and outputs directed to built-in devices, so the DAC is left alone, apart from audio apps like Roon and HQPlayer.

Hi All

I luckily came across hqplayer randomly and now there is no going back. My setup (my dad's setup ha)

44.1 256DSD with xtr-2s on HQplayer / i7-920 16GB DDR3 X58 chipset

LKS  mah-DA004 on I2s

Singxer SU-1

SOtM sms-200-ultra

Classe Audio amp

Emerald Physics EP-2 speakers.

I've tried Jriver, Audnirvana, and Foobar2000 over DLNA but none of them come close to HQPlayer.

There's one issue that one of you may be able to help me with. The Singxer is making things out of phase. I know its the SIngxer because SOtM -> LKS through USB is in phase. I tried physically reversing the amp -> speaker cables, changing the firmware to 2.22, and setting the no 6 switch to off. 

https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/Singxer/

New firmware was posted for the SU-6 because there was a bug. It's v2.21 and its the exact same size as v2.20 for the SU-1. I thought that was coincidental but haven't tried flashing it. Oh and the inv button on HQplayer doesn't change anything either. Any ideas?

Two other quick questions.

When direct SDM is checked, do any of the default settings effect the playback for DSD files?

Would enabling the speaker settings and setting up the front two channels be beneficial at all?

3 hours ago, Miska said:

No...

It should be, most of my cd have been ripped using a cue sheet . Any plan to implement this feature?

thanks

MacMini 2012 i5 2.3| 4GB |Crucial M4 64 Gb SSD |10.9.1| NorthStar Driver | Optimization Script |HiFace 1| JRiver 19 Mac | Buffalo II DAC | Mastersound 220| Rega Naos

12 hours ago, Conte_Oliver said:

It should be, most of my cd have been ripped using a cue sheet . Any plan to implement this feature?

thanks

FLAC, AIFF and WAV can contain all the relevant metadata in a proper way. CUE sheets are really awkward way.

There are probably tools that can convert files with CUE sheets to proper FLAC tracks.

Hi Miska:

HQPlayer just stopped working for me. It's been ok for years.

When I start playing from Roon I get a blank box continuously flashing over the modulator and rate boxes.

I've reinstalled HQPlayer and removed Fidelizer, but no change. Version is latest 3.25.2.

Thoughts?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

45 minutes ago, rah50 said:

Hi Miska:

When I start playing from Roon I get a blank box continuously flashing over the modulator and rate boxes.

I've reinstalled HQPlayer and removed Fidelizer, but no change. Version is latest 3.25.2.

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, Miska said:

There are probably tools that can convert files with CUE sheets to proper FLAC tracks.

When needed, I'm using foobar2000 for that. The Converter module is part of standard foobar2000 installation. It allows to split album image file to track files with metadata transfer from CUE sheet to track files. It also allows renaming of track files according to metadata (for example <track_no> - <track_name>).

I am not using foobar2000 for playing music, but I'm using it as powerful tool - music library manager, metadata editor, converter with optional DSP functionality, Dynamic Range meter, CUE sheet creator (for example for portable player) ... it is capable of much more things.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
2 hours ago, rah50 said:

Hi Miska:

Thoughts?

Usually first thing that could help is to enable log file in settings, restart, attempt to do something, and take a look at the log, or alternatively send me one over email for inspection. There are instructions for locating log file on different systems in "Troubleshooting" manual section.

46 minutes ago, Miska said:

Usually first thing that could help is to enable log file in settings, restart, attempt to do something, and take a look at the log, or alternatively send me one over email for inspection. There are instructions for locating log file on different systems in "Troubleshooting" manual section.

Thanks Miska, log file sent to [email protected]

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Thanks outlaw, let's see if something less radical can fix the problem first!

Bob

Looks like a hard reboot of the microRendu solved the problem. Don't usually have to do that as long as HQPlayer connects properly which it seemed to do.

Thanks all!

Bob

19 hours ago, Miska said:

CueTools is free and effective....

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

10 hours ago, bogi said:

I am not using foobar2000 for playing music, but I'm using it as powerful tool - music library manager, metadata editor, converter with optional DSP functionality, Dynamic Range meter, CUE sheet creator (for example for portable player) ... it is capable of much more things.

I previously used FooBar for playback but HQP is superior. However, like you FooBar is still in my toolkit for file format conversions, adding PCM gain when downsampling DSD to FLAC, and several other handy features. I haven't tried the new HQ Pro version but wonder if it performs some of these utility functions as well or better...

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi