IGNORED

HQ Player

21 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

From reading the manual, I understood poly-sinc-lp and poly-sinc-xtr-lp to both have symmetrical impulse responses (equal length pre and post ringing)? Have I got that right or completely wrong?

Is there another poly-sinc filter that has shorter pre and post ringing than the above two filters, but still symmetrical?

Yes, that's correct. Note that these don't apply to DSD-to-DSD rate conversions... All linear phase ones are symmetrical. poly-sinc-short is pretty short pre- and post-ringing one. poly-sinc-mqa is the shortest of those, but it trades other aspects to some extent to achieve that. minringFIR being another similar one. Biggest difference between poly-sinc-mqa and minringFIR is that former is apodizing while latter is not.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, Miska said:

but it trades other aspects to some extent to achieve that

Thanks! And yup understood.

From memory of your past posts, it’s a mathematical juggling act between number of taps, filter roll-off speed (fast/slow) and stop-band attenuation? Have I got that right? Or completely wrong?

Something goes up and some thing/s have to go down - the maths is too hard for me but that idea is easy to understand.

Also, is fast/slow filter rolloff speed directly related to length of pre and post ringing? Longer pre and post ring, faster rolloff? Shorter pre and post rining, slower rolloff? Or not related?

36 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

From memory of your past posts, it’s a mathematical juggling act between number of taps, filter roll-off speed (fast/slow) and stop-band attenuation? Have I got that right? Or completely wrong?

Also, is fast/slow filter rolloff speed directly related to length of pre and post ringing? Longer pre and post ring, faster rolloff? Shorter pre and post rining, slower rolloff? Or not related?

Yes, roughly speaking. It still depends on the filter design algorithm too, but to lesser extent.

2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

What HQP setting is your personal favorite?  Which do you use most often?

For long time I've been using poly-sinc-short-mp for rock/pop kind of music and poly-sinc-lp for classical. And ASDM7 as modulator.

Now recently I've been running quite a lot with newer poly-sinc-ext2 and ASDM7.

17 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I see there's no poly-sinc-ext2-2s option.

My NUC-i7 can do poly-sinc-2s at DSD512 with ASDM7.

Is poly-sinc-ext2 more or less CPU intensive?

If you check description in the manual, you can see it is 2s always, but with twice higher intermediate rate (always minimum 16x higher than the source rate). And as with -2s, if the ratio between source and target rates is less than that, or output is PCM, only the first stage is used so then it is not 2s for that case.

1 minute ago, DancingSea said:

How do I upgrade HQPlayer?  

On Windows, uninstall the old version from Control Panel and then install the new version. No other actions needed.

On macOS, just drag the new version to Applications folder and answer "Replace" when macOS asks what to do with the existing.

On Linux, you can just "sudo dpkg -i" then new version.

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

On Windows, uninstall the old version from Control Panel and then install the new version. No other actions needed.

On macOS, just drag the new version to Applications folder and answer "Replace" when macOS asks what to do with the existing.

On Linux, you can just "sudo dpkg -i" then new version.

Is it a free upgrade?

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Are you reading it under PCM filter section? As I explained, in that case it is not 2s. Only for PCM-to-SDM and even then only when the ratio is more than 16x (practically >= 32x).

Ah yes, just noticed the PCM section title...

There's more info in the SDM section. Apologies.

14 hours ago, Miska said:

For long time I've been using poly-sinc-short-mp for rock/pop kind of music and poly-sinc-lp for classical. And ASDM7 as modulator.

Now recently I've been running quite a lot with newer poly-sinc-ext2 and ASDM7.

Do you tend to use poly-since-ext2 with all types of material, or stick to poly-sing-lp for classical?

I've built a new server for HQP and at this point it doesn't have a case. I'd like to buy the license for HQPE, but I'm wondering if you have any idea if the case I (eventually) choose would alter the licencing fingerprint - since it'll be connected to the motherboard.

Everything is working great, so I don't intend to make any changes to the main components of the computer. I'd like to remove the 30 minute limit while I take my time picking out a case.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

2 hours ago, k6davis said:

I've built a new server for HQP and at this point it doesn't have a case. I'd like to buy the license for HQPE, but I'm wondering if you have any idea if the case I (eventually) choose would alter the licencing fingerprint - since it'll be connected to the motherboard.

No, case, PSU, GPU, RAM, SSD/HDD doesn't change the fingerprint.

21 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I see there's no poly-sinc-ext2-2s option.

My NUC-i7 can do poly-sinc-2s at DSD512 with ASDM7.

Is poly-sinc-ext2 more or less CPU intensive?

I am running i7 NUC DNKE and can only get DSD 256 without stutters.

Are you running that one or a more powerful NUC?

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

20 hours ago, Miska said:

Currently, updates within same major version within the platform(s) covered by the license key are free.

Aloha Jussi,

I currently have 3.19.1.  I use a 2013 MacBook Pro that just barely can handle DSD 128 upsampling.  Is the most recent version of HQP any more processor intensive than 3.19.1?

And if it proves to be problematic, can I easily revert back to 3.19.1?

Thanks

It turned out to be some odd internal wiring on one of the crossovers

if anyone wants a guaranteed change your life/cream your pants sound system just get all the parts i have listed that my dad got and then upsample everything with hqplayer of corse. i swear I am not a shill even though I sound like one. It really just is that amazing.

Were about to get a threadripper 19xx and hopefully itll be able to pull of 512xtr and maybe even 512xtr-mp from 24bit 96khz flac files. If anyone wants some great test tracks.....

Petantonix - Say Something. Royals. Somebody  I used to Know. Aha!. Run to You.

Bjork - Hyperballad ( Brodsky Quartet )

Moulin Rouge - One Day I'll Fly Away. El Tango de Roxanne

Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek

Louis Armstrong - St. James Infirmiry

Fiona Apple - Hot Knife
Cocorosie - Beautiful Boyz  ( this one will tell you if your system understands emotion yet )

Regina Spektor - Apres Moi. Field Below. Prisoners. Samson.
Gogol Bordello - Illuminated

And thanks Jussi for making HQplayer. I doubt I'd be so into all this stuff without being able to make my own personal favorite tracks sound ..... highly positive adjectives

Oh Cisco Catalyst 2690C-8TC-L helps a ton and so does the sps-500 powersupply for the sotm 200-ultra

1 hour ago, jkelly said:

I am running i7 NUC DNKE and can only get DSD 256 without stutters.

Are you running that one or a more powerful NUC?

I mentioned the filter that I can run at DSD512. The reason I mentioned that is because my NUC7i7DNHE can’t run all filters at DSD512. Also note the “2s”.

So can you mention which filters are causing you stuttering?

Since we have the same NUC essentially, there’s a good chance the same filter will cause me stuttering at DSD512 also.

I am not able to run any filters (yet) @ DSD512 on the i7 NUC (AL/Roonserver/HQPlayerD).

Do you know what the lightest load filter is?

My NUC AL/NAA can play DSD512 from my desktop system with 4790k/1080ti.

I wonder if I have something mis-configured on the NUC Server...

After getting the basic system running - is there some performance tweaking that helps achieve DSD512?

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

I currently have 3.19.1.  I use a 2013 MacBook Pro that just barely can handle DSD 128 upsampling.  Is the most recent version of HQP any more processor intensive than 3.19.1?

And if it proves to be problematic, can I easily revert back to 3.19.1?

Usually the processor load gets increasing as I implement new things. But I also implement new optimizations, so sometimes the load can also drop.

You can go back and forth between old and new versions using same procedure, just keep old installation packages at hand in case you want to go back. At some point I split the configuration and library data from one HQPlayer.xml to separate settings.xml and library.xml so switching across versions may not transfer the setting/library changes along.

1 hour ago, jkelly said:

I am not able to run any filters (yet) @ DSD512 on the i7 NUC (AL/Roonserver/HQPlayerD).

Do you know what the lightest load filter is?

My NUC AL/NAA can play DSD512 from my desktop system with 4790k/1080ti.

I wonder if I have something mis-configured on the NUC Server...

poly-sinc-short(-mp)-2s is good starting point for a light filter. And DSD5 modulator is lighter but still quite good, compared to ASDM5/ASDM7.

The i7 NUC is just dual-core? NUCs are equipped with processors typically found in laptops, so they are not as powerful as what you find in normal desktop machines.

DSD512 may be quite a lot to ask from a NUC.

2 hours ago, jkelly said:

After getting the basic system running - is there some performance tweaking that helps achieve DSD512?

In your case, at least wait for Roon to finish it's background tasks and tell Roon to use lowest priority for the background jobs. And check the signal path from Roon that it is not trying to do any DSP.

I’m curious to try the new poly-sinc-ext2 filter. Oddly I missed it and haven’t looked at them for a while. Have been using poly-sinc-xtr-2s with my older machine and asdm7 at dsd512 on an i7-quad core at 4.2ghz and 1080ti. But would not do the non 2s variant unfortunately. My new machine is capable of doing poly sinc xtr 2s at dsd1024 and asdm7 on an I9-9900k and @5.1ghz on all 8 cores with 2080ti. Bummer it won’t do dsd1024 with the single pass variant - poly-sinc-xtr

im surprised how demanding these filters are! I need to read more on them and curious to try a few new ones out. It’s quite impressive how my music collection sounds so great with the right filters. 

Hqplayer is excellent software and a must have!

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA