IGNORED

HQ Player

40 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

My reasoning as right or wrong as it is:

Setting them the same basically disables the volume knob in HQPlayer.  It prevents me from accidentally turning the volume down further I guess.

+1.  I set them to -3 (to reduce or eliminate clipping) and use my own preamp for volume.

18 minutes ago, ted_b said:

+1.  I set them to -3 (to reduce or eliminate clipping) and use my own preamp for volume.

Have you noticed any clipping still with -3db?  I had to go to -5db to get rid of it completely with some of my redbook material.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 minute ago, Dr Tone said:

Have you noticed any clipping still with -3db?  I had to go to -5db to get rid of it completely with some of my redbook material.

I send PCM to PCM (352.8k or 384k) to not as big an issue.

4 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

I recently set mine to -3db, per Miska's preference, but I'd been playing it at 0 for many months, and have never seen the clipping indicator go past "0" ;)

Signalyst HQPlayer 3 Desktop - registered: John Walker 2017-04-06 12-40-21.png

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

4 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

I'm an admitted lover of garbage music with terrible mastering; if I use -3db I  do get clipping on a regular basis. -5db was the solution I set on as well, although I set the volume default/max to -5 and minimum to -15 for a bit of attenuation if needed.

I am typically listening on about -10dB to -8dB volume setting in HQPlayer because for my ears I get better sound this way. I simply compensate that on my preamp/headamp. My impression is that it is not necessary to go as near to 0dB as possible.

I know that theory says dynamic range is bigger when higher digital volume levels are used. But on other side it is known that typical DACs produce less distortion on for example -10dB than 0dB (Miska mentioned it more times). I am not listening on high volume levels with my headphones so I have no extreme demands on dynamic range.

Of course, quality of digital volume control is important. My impression is that HQPlayer does it very well. When you use -3dB setting you are also using digital volume ...

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
On 4/5/2017 at 9:41 PM, LoryWiv said:

I'm still uncertain why the volume difference depending on playing DSD format files versus when playing PCM converted to DSD, but I'll live with it as sound quality is priority #1., 

Some DSD content is produced unnecessarily "hot", frequently peaking at 0 dB level or over. However, there is no benefit in doing so and trying to squeeze every last dB out. It goes into loudness war category.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi all,

Using HQP/NAA since few days (evaluation version). Very satisfied about SQ in my setup. However, sometimes, i hear very small and sporadic "dropouts" ...

I eventually could live with these "dropouts" because they are uncommon, sporadic, and not very disturbing, but better to fix if possible.

Any idea what is the cause ?

Thank you.

WHAT
- Small "dropouts" (sorry if this is not adequate wording), very short and "dry"
- Look like dust or physical defect on a vinyl track , 
- Nothing loud nor harsh, not very disturbing but sometimes hearable 

WHEN
- N
ot "clocked", very erratic few minutes without any dropouts ...

I've never heard these "dropouts":

- When i'm playing directly native DSD128 (DFF)
- When i'm playing the same streams directly from Roon to DAC without HQP in the signal path

Setup:
- HQPlayer Desktop 3.16.0 (+Roon server build 209): NUC6i5SYH WIN10
- NAA 3.5: RPI3 DietPi + IFI iPower PSU
- DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD

- Gigabit wired network

HQP Settings:
(TIDAL HIFI) FLAC 16/44.1 > DSD128

poly-sinc mp 2s, ADSM5 > DSD (DoP)

CPU load

- HQP NUC CPU Load (i5): < 60% (WIN10)

- NAA load < 1%

Capture-win-Roon-HQP-DSD128.thumb.PNG.75d590bc727dc00b9aea1c17c8445d7b.PNG

Capture_htop_NAA_DSD_128_psmp2s.png

Capture-NAA-HQP-psmp2s.PNG

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

4 hours ago, volpone said:

Hi all,

Using HQP/NAA since few days (evaluation version). Very satisfied about SQ in my setup. However, sometimes, i hear very small and sporadic "dropouts" ...

I eventually could live with these "dropouts" because they are uncommon, sporadic, and not very disturbing, but better to fix if possible.

Any idea what is the cause ?

Thank you.

WHAT
- Small "dropouts" (sorry if this is not adequate wording), very short and "dry"
- Look like dust or physical defect on a vinyl track , 
- Nothing loud nor harsh, not very disturbing but sometimes hearable 

WHEN
- N
ot "clocked", very erratic few minutes without any dropouts ...

I've never heard these "dropouts":

- When i'm playing directly native DSD128 (DFF)
- When i'm playing the same streams directly from Roon to DAC without HQP in the signal path

Setup:
- HQPlayer Desktop 3.16.0 (+Roon server build 209): NUC6i5SYH WIN10
- NAA 3.5: RPI3 DietPi + IFI iPower PSU
- DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD

- Gigabit wired network

HQP Settings:
(TIDAL HIFI) FLAC 16/44.1 > DSD128

poly-sinc mp 2s, ADSM5 > DSD (DoP)

CPU load

- HQP NUC CPU Load (i5): < 60% (WIN10)

- NAA load < 1%

Capture-win-Roon-HQP-DSD128.thumb.PNG.75d590bc727dc00b9aea1c17c8445d7b.PNG

Capture_htop_NAA_DSD_128_psmp2s.png

Capture-NAA-HQP-psmp2s.PNG

I understand what you meant by the sound when running HQP: "Look like dust or physical defect on a vinyl track , 
- Nothing loud nor harsh, not very disturbing but sometimes hearable"

I refer it as some slight "pop" or "click" noise. It can be eliminated by changing the buffer time setting from "default" to other milliseconds setting. I had asked Miska before, and he personally use 100ms and implied that it is a good starting point. His explanation of the "pop" noise is as follows: -

"the pop happens because computer didn't deliver more audio to the DAC in time and the DAC run out of data to play. Longer buffer helps keeping up with delivery deadlines."

I had also asked him whether smaller buffer time is better or not. But he said that it is just the other way round. His reply was as follows: -

"longer/larger buffer reduces computer activity and runs things at more relaxed pace. But apart from avoiding those drop-outs it shouldn't have any impact on sound quality."

However, I sometimes find setting the buffer to 100ms still have the "pop" noise, and setting it to smaller values seems to sound slightly better to me, although it is actually not much difference and may  be just my psychological feeling only.

Hi Miska,

Any news on the release of NAA binaries for arm64 (Odroid C2)?

I've succeeded to have it working but with a Dietpi image installed (no NAA binaries yet) then switching from jessie  to stretch and adding armhf architecture .......

Thanks

13 hours ago, simonklp said:

I understand what you meant by the sound when running HQP: "Look like dust or physical defect on a vinyl track , 

I refer it as some slight "pop" or "click" noise. It can be eliminated by changing the buffer time setting from "default" to other milliseconds setting. I had asked Miska before, and he personally use 100ms and implied that it is a good starting point. His explanation of the "pop" noise is as follows: -

"the pop happens because computer didn't deliver more audio to the DAC in time and the DAC run out of data to play. Longer buffer helps keeping up with delivery deadlines."

I had also asked him whether smaller buffer time is better or not. But he said that it is just the other way round. His reply was as follows: -

"longer/larger buffer reduces computer activity and runs things at more relaxed pace. But apart from avoiding those drop-outs it shouldn't have any impact on sound quality."

However, I sometimes find setting the buffer to 100ms still have the "pop" noise, and setting it to smaller values seems to sound slightly better to me, although it is actually not much difference and may  be just my psychological feeling only.

Simon,
Thank you very much for you detailed and useful explanations.

I will try with buffer time adjustments. Actually my HQP buffer time is set to "default" and i don't know what is the corresponding value. Not easy to manage because the "clicks" are very sporadic.

Regards 

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

13 hours ago, simonklp said:

20 minutes ago, volpone said:

Simon,
Thank you very much for you detailed and useful explanations.

I will try with buffer time adjustments. Actually my HQP buffer time is set to "default" and i don't know what is the corresponding value. Not easy to manage because the "clicks" are very sporadic.

Regards 

I am having this exact same issue.  The description of the sound being similar is having dust in vinyl is exactly how I explained to someone else!  I have tried adjusting the buffer/latency settings in the asio driver control panel but nothing worked.  I will try the HQP buffer settings. 

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Tried poly-sinc-xtr filter PCM files to DSD128 and activity monitor skyrocketed to 98%, bar ran back and forth for a minute with no playing. Force quit to get it to stop the loop.

Have a 2.6 quad core Mini with 16 GB RAM and SSD to run OS.

-2 version of xtr uses 10% of processor capacity.

It there something wrong?

Tone with Soul

3 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Tried poly-sinc-xtr filter PCM files to DSD128 and activity monitor skyrocketed to 98%, bar ran back and forth for a minute with no playing. Force quit to get it to stop the loop.

Have a 2.6 quad core Mini with 16 GB RAM and SSD to run OS.

-2 version of xtr uses 10% of processor capacity.

With 3.16, initialization should finish pretty quickly. Just make sure you are using "auto rate family" to keep loads lower.

I can just run poly-sinc-xtr RedBook to DSD512 on the i7-6950X, pretty much all 10 cores fully loaded.

2 hours ago, volpone said:

Amanero drivers use fixed buffer size that cannot be adjusted anywhere. So no matter what is set in HQPlayer settings the buffer is always same size.

Another source of clicks is possible overloading/clipping. So make sure HQPlayer volume control is set to at most -3 dB and that the "Limited" counter in main window stays zero. In 3.16+ versions the volume knob will also turn red whenever there is overload in the pipeline, meaning the limited counter increments and the internal limiter is triggered. So it is easier to notice...

Just now, 57gold said:

"auto rate family", not sure what you mean?  Is that A version of the modulators?

No, there's a checkbox for that in the settings dialog. Meaning that oversampling ratio is simple integer, giving somewhat lower CPU load figures. But possibility for that depends on the DAC and driver, if DSD rates at multiples of 48k are supported.

2 hours ago, AudioAnt said:

Hi, I'm a user of licensed HQPlayer in Windows and I would like to buy the second license in Linux. How to get the discount code for this?

Also I would like to have access to HQPlayer Embedded version. How to?

Thank you.

Send a request for 50% coupon discount on a Mac/Linux license to support @ signalyst.com with your  email address you registered your Windows version.

Miska will send you 50% coupon discount for your Linux purchase.

Once you register your Linux version, get a system fingerprint from Help menu. Then, you send it to support requesting a HQPlayer Embedded license.