IGNORED

HQ Player

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Amanero drivers use fixed buffer size that cannot be adjusted anywhere. So no matter what is set in HQPlayer settings the buffer is always same size.

Hi Miska,

I use the HQPlayer to convert and upsample PCM music files to DSD 512 content and send via the NAA to the USB port of the T+A DAC 8 DSD. Although the DAC use Amanero USB board, I find that the "pop" or "click" noise can be eliminated by changing the buffer time in the setting menu of HQPlayer from default to other values. However, I sometimes find that changing the buffer time setting to 100ms cannot completely eliminate these noise, which can only be eliminated by changing the buffer time to a smaller value, such as 50ms, 20ms or etc.

Why is it the case?

13 hours ago, volpone said:

Simon,
Thank you very much for you detailed and useful explanations.

I will try with buffer time adjustments. Actually my HQP buffer time is set to "default" and i don't know what is the corresponding value. Not easy to manage because the "clicks" are very sporadic.

Regards 

Volpone,

You are welcome. But I think the advice from Miska is the most authentic and authoritative. Let's see what he says.

Cheers, Simon

12 hours ago, tboooe said:

I am having this exact same issue.  The description of the sound being similar is having dust in vinyl is exactly how I explained to someone else!  I have tried adjusting the buffer/latency settings in the asio driver control panel but nothing worked.  I will try the HQP buffer settings. 

Hi tboooe,

This description is also I had thought of. But since I was not sure whether others understand it or not, I didn't use it.

However, it seems to be quite understandable by us, and hence may be a good option for describing the problem.

5 hours ago, simonklp said:

I use the HQPlayer to convert and upsample PCM music files to DSD 512 content and send via the NAA to the USB port of the T+A DAC 8 DSD. Although the DAC use Amanero USB board, I find that the "pop" or "click" noise can be eliminated by changing the buffer time in the setting menu of HQPlayer from default to other values. However, I sometimes find that changing the buffer time setting to 100ms cannot completely eliminate these noise, which can only be eliminated by changing the buffer time to a smaller value, such as 50ms, 20ms or etc.

Strange, because with the T+A DAC8 DSD ASIO driver the buffer size setting doesn't have any effect...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 hours ago, bibo01 said:

Send a request for 50% coupon discount on a Mac/Linux license to support @ signalyst.com with your  email address you registered your Windows version.

Miska will send you 50% coupon discount for your Linux purchase.

Once you register your Linux version, get a system fingerprint from Help menu. Then, you send it to support requesting a HQPlayer Embedded license.

Thanks bibo01, will do. :)

15 hours ago, simonklp said:

I think the advice from Miska is the most authentic and authoritative. Let's see what he says.

@Miska advice: 

"Another source of clicks is possible overloading/clipping. So make sure HQPlayer volume control is set to at most -3 dB and that the "Limited" counter in main window stays zero. In 3.16+ versions the volume knob will also turn red whenever there is overload in the pipeline, meaning the limited counter increments and the internal limiter is triggered. So it is easier to notice..."

I've set Vol output: -3db in HQP settings and it seems my vintage vinyl "clicks" disappeared. To be confirmed with extensive tests from different files. 

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

"Since upgrading to 3.16 (Linux) I've been experiencing a problem that I didn't have with previous versions, namely that if I play a CD upsampled to DSD128, at the end of the entire CD I get a fairly loud click and the clipping lights on my AHB2 flash. I find that the T+A DAC 8 DSD has been reset to PCM "

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

Hello,

>However, on Windows 10 (build 15063) I can only run HQP3.13.  if I install any of the later versions, I can load files >but when I hit play button I get a message "HQPlayer stopper working.  Application will close".  And it does close.  >And yes, I do uninstall one version before I try another.

Eric Vertura

>Seriously, I had the same issue trying to run HQPlayer on any recent builds of Windows 10 I got through the >Windows Insider Program.  I suspect the new memory model that was introduced in the past couple of months for >Insiders "breaks" HQP - I reported it here as well.

jhwalker

Please learn to configure Windows 10. Nothing breaks the HQplayer. The HQplayer runs fine under Windows 10 Redstone (15063). I never got crashs under Windows 10 Insider builds. I run Windows 10 Pro (Insider and no Insider builds) since Windows 10 is availabe. I have two Dac's (Mytek Brooklyn a. iFi micro IDSD). I have two PC's and I'm upsampling to DSD (256 a. 512).

the sound is super and with the usb 2.0 support drive the sound got better. But you need new drivers with Asio for your Dac.

What I get with the HGplayer is an crackling noise after closing a music file at the end of playing. I didn't get this with the foobar2000 player. I think it's an HQplayer problem.

Wolft

4 hours ago, richard kimber said:

"Since upgrading to 3.16 (Linux) I've been experiencing a problem that I didn't have with previous versions, namely that if I play a CD upsampled to DSD128, at the end of the entire CD I get a fairly loud click and the clipping lights on my AHB2 flash. I find that the T+A DAC 8 DSD has been reset to PCM "

I have not done anything specifically about it, but at least when I just tested with the RME ADI-2 Pro with CD upsampled to DSD256 on Linux, nothing special was happens at the end...

Hi,

I encounter a strange problem with my tiny Wintel CX8 NAA Client (Win10Pro 32). When I send it more than DSD128, networkaudio.exe suddently shuts down... It's a pity, because my Ryzen 1700 server doesn't afraid of DSD512 (CPU with 15% load and 30°C). The DAC is the T+A DAC 8 DSD.

any ideas ?

Another thing: any improvements with Audiophile Optimizer ?

3 hours ago, OlivierFH said:

Hi,

I encounter a strange problem with my tiny Wintel CX8 NAA Client (Win10Pro 32). When I send it more than DSD128, networkaudio.exe suddently shuts down... It's a pity, because my Ryzen 1700 server doesn't afraid of DSD512 (CPU with 15% load and 30°C). The DAC is the T+A DAC 8 DSD.

any ideas ?

Another thing: any improvements with Audiophile Optimizer ?

What's the error message when it shuts down?

@Miska

Hey Miska, just want to confirm this:

I find a tiny modification on HQplayer 3.16 version manual about -2s description:

Two stage oversampling. First stage rate conversion is performed by at least by facot of 8 using hte selected algorithm. And furhter converted to the final rate using algorithm optimized for conversion of content that has already been processed to at least 8x rate. This lowers the overall CPU load, while preserving (almost)the same conversion quality. Especially useful for highest output rates.

I believe the word "almost" has been deleted. Are you suggesting that poly-sinc-2s now is equally good as poly-sinc in this version?

Because I remember  you previously mentioned that non-2s versions are technically better quality. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

14 hours ago, Miska said:

I have not done anything specifically about it, but at least when I just tested with the RME ADI-2 Pro with CD upsampled to DSD256 on Linux, nothing special was happens at the end...

Well, I'll have to stick with 3.15.1 then. Of course, I have a different DAC and was upsampling to DSD128 - I don't know if that makes a difference, nor have I tried to see if it varies with the filter selected.  Perhaps I'll try 3.16 again when the 4.10 kernel comes along later in the month.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

15 minutes ago, richard kimber said:

Well, I'll have to stick with 3.15.1 then. Of course, I have a different DAC and was upsampling to DSD128 - I don't know if that makes a difference, nor have I tried to see if it varies with the filter selected.  Perhaps I'll try 3.16 again when the 4.10 kernel comes along later in the month.

What distro are you using and why are you waiting for 4.10? 4.10 has been released quite a while ago.

5 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

This lowers the overall CPU load, while preserving (almost)the same conversion quality. Especially useful for highest output rates.

I believe the word "almost" has been deleted. Are you suggesting that poly-sinc-2s now is equally good as poly-sinc in this version?

Because I remember  you previously mentioned that non-2s versions are technically better quality. 

Both are technically as good, but since they are still different, they are not the same thing... :)

18 hours ago, wolft said:

Hello,

>However, on Windows 10 (build 15063) I can only run HQP3.13.  if I install any of the later versions, I can load files >but when I hit play button I get a message "HQPlayer stopper working.  Application will close".  And it does close.  >And yes, I do uninstall one version before I try another.

Eric Vertura

>Seriously, I had the same issue trying to run HQPlayer on any recent builds of Windows 10 I got through the >Windows Insider Program.  I suspect the new memory model that was introduced in the past couple of months for >Insiders "breaks" HQP - I reported it here as well.

jhwalker

Please learn to configure Windows 10. Nothing breaks the HQplayer. The HQplayer runs fine under Windows 10 Redstone (15063). I never got crashs under Windows 10 Insider builds. I run Windows 10 Pro (Insider and no Insider builds) since Windows 10 is availabe. I have two Dac's (Mytek Brooklyn a. iFi micro IDSD). I have two PC's and I'm upsampling to DSD (256 a. 512).

the sound is super and with the usb 2.0 support drive the sound got better. But you need new drivers with Asio for your Dac.

What I get with the HGplayer is an crackling noise after closing a music file at the end of playing. I didn't get this with the foobar2000 player. I think it's an HQplayer problem.

Wolft

Hi, can you be more more specific - what is the configuration that allows every application except HQPlayer to run.  And what changes did you make to the configuration?  Just telling me to learn to configure W10 is not very helpful.

3 hours ago, PhilipAC said:

Hi all. I have just bought HQP on linux and it downloaded version 3.13.3.

Why didn't it download version 3.16? and can I move to 3.16 under the same licence or do I have to pay more? Indeed, is it worthwhile moving to 3.16?

Cheers

Philip

If you cannot download HQPlayer latest version, you need to refresh your browser.

Your license is valid for all 3.x versions. For v4.x Miska has not yet established a cost for upgrading.

It's probably worth it to upgrade to the latest version.

Recently created filters in REW and playing music thru HQP in ROON to a Devialet. Works fine with PCM but can't convert to DSD (64). When I try this it works but it sounds like a 5-year old child got hold of the Balance button and randomly turns it to one speaker then the other.

The other problem (even with PCM) at times is the music will play fine but then stop with 1 or 2 seconds remaining.

Several months ago (with a different Devialet) it worked fine with HQP and convolution on...

Any thoughts? I'm working with a Macbook Air i7 going thru mRendu.

2 hours ago, bibo01 said:

If you cannot download HQPlayer latest version, you need to refresh your browser.

Your license is valid for all 3.x versions. For v4.x Miska has not yet established a cost for upgrading.

It's probably worth it to upgrade to the latest version.

Thanks bibo01

7 hours ago, Miska said:

What distro are you using and why are you waiting for 4.10? 4.10 has been released quite a while ago.

I'm using Ubuntu, but I understood that  4.10 wouldn't arrive as part of the distro until 17.04

17 hours ago, shadowlight said:

What's the error message when it shuts down?

the log file tells at the end:

2017/04/10 21:38:35 ASIO buffer sizes: 1024/1024/1024 granularity: 0
  2017/04/10 21:38:35 Using ASIO buffer size: 1024
% 2017/04/10 21:38:35 ASIO: unknown selector: 588323169
% 2017/04/10 21:38:35 ASIO: unknown selector: 588323203
% 2017/04/10 21:38:35 ASIO: unknown selector: 588324868
  2017/04/10 21:38:35 Latencies: 1024/0
  2017/04/10 21:38:35 Using ASIO output ready notifications
# 2017/04/10 21:38:35 start failure: clASIOMiniEngine::StartAudioClient(): ASIOStart()
  2017/04/10 21:38:35 enter streaming mode

and the cmd windows is closing...