IGNORED

HQ Player

I've only spent a few minutes with the Demo of HQPlayer - I've been super busy with work, which means I was also a bit tired. But I couldn't get it to find my PS Audio DirectStream over the network. I skimmed through the directions (and like I said, was tired) so maybe I missed it, but the network tool crashes as soon as I fire it up. Is there a driver or add on I need to install?

Windows 10 Pro - Fresh Install all current. (dedicated system)

Wired network connection. 

PS Audio DirectStream with the Bridge II (wired obviously)

When I have time I'll really sit down and properly read through the directions, I'm sure I just missed something, but thought I'd ping the group, see if anyone else has a setup like mine and can offer suggestions so I know what to look for next time I have time to sit down and work on this. Hopefully my trial won't expire by the time I find time to work on this! LOL

I do have Roon, just not installed on this device as I want to check out and explore HQPlayer on it own before I integrate it with Room (aka easy mode? LOL)

Thanks in advance. 

~Eric~

AKA

The Lonely Raven (in various forums)

On 2/4/2017 at 0:13 AM, Hazard said:

Hi Miska

Model name is AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Under flags I can see "sse" and "sse2". No mention of "sse3" or "sse4" that I can see. So a CPU upgrade is definitely required. Not a big issue, as I was intending to upgrade anyway - I can upsample to DSD256 on this PC, but it doesn't have the grunt for DSD512. My new DAC was built with DSD512 in mind so I wii buy new CPU soon.

Strangely, HQP3.14 was running previously on Studio 16.04, even though it doesn't seem that my CPU supports sse4.

Regards, Hazard

On 2/3/2017 at 7:58 PM, Miska said:

It means you have some fairly old CPU that doesn't have the features HQPlayer is using, that's why you get the error message.

You can do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and under "flags" you need to have "sse4_2".

What does it say as a "model name" for you?

SSE4.2 was launched in Nehalem architecture which is now 10 years ago... The earlier SSE3 requirement was from Prescott which was launched 2004.

On 2/4/2017 at 0:13 AM, Hazard said:

Hi Miska

Model name is AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Under flags I can see "sse" and "sse2". No mention of "sse3" or "sse4" that I can see. So a CPU upgrade is definitely required. Not a big issue, as I was intending to upgrade anyway - I can upsample to DSD256 on this PC, but it doesn't have the grunt for DSD512. My new DAC was built with DSD512 in mind so I wii buy new CPU soon.

Strangely, HQP3.14 was running previously on Studio 16.04, even though it doesn't seem that my CPU supports sse4.

Regards, Hazard

Hi Miska

I have assembled a new PC.  CPU is I7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte H270, 32GB RAM.  So this should address the issues that we discussed back in February.

HQP 3.16 now works fine on Ubuntu Studio 16.04, which is OK because I mainly use this OS for music listening.

However, on Windows 10 (build 15063) I can only run HQP3.13.  if I install any of the later versions, I can load files but when I hit play button I get a message "HQPlayer stopper working.  Application will close".  And it does close.  And yes, I do uninstall one version before I try another.

Any ideas on how to fix Win10?

Regards

4 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Hi Miska

I have assembled a new PC.  CPU is I7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte H270, 32GB RAM.  So this should address the issues that we discussed back in February.

HQP 3.16 now works fine on Ubuntu Studio 16.04, which is OK because I mainly use this OS for music listening.

However, on Windows 10 (build 15063) I can only run HQP3.13.  if I install any of the later versions, I can load files but when I hit play button I get a message "HQPlayer stopper working.  Application will close".  And it does close.  And yes, I do uninstall one version before I try another.

Any ideas on how to fix Win10?

Regards

Go back to the current supported version of Windows 10 ;)  i.e., 14393.

Seriously, I had the same issue trying to run HQPlayer on any recent builds of Windows 10 I got through the Windows Insider Program.  I suspect the new memory model that was introduced in the past couple of months for Insiders "breaks" HQP - I reported it here as well.

Hopefully, Miska is looking ahead and will make a compile that will work on the newer Windows 10 builds.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

56 minutes ago, Eric Ventura said:

I've only spent a few minutes with the Demo of HQPlayer - I've been super busy with work, which means I was also a bit tired. But I couldn't get it to find my PS Audio DirectStream over the network. I skimmed through the directions (and like I said, was tired) so maybe I missed it, but the network tool crashes as soon as I fire it up. Is there a driver or add on I need to install?

Windows 10 Pro - Fresh Install all current. (dedicated system)

Wired network connection. 

PS Audio DirectStream with the Bridge II (wired obviously)

When I have time I'll really sit down and properly read through the directions, I'm sure I just missed something, but thought I'd ping the group, see if anyone else has a setup like mine and can offer suggestions so I know what to look for next time I have time to sit down and work on this. Hopefully my trial won't expire by the time I find time to work on this! LOL

I do have Roon, just not installed on this device as I want to check out and explore HQPlayer on it own before I integrate it with Room (aka easy mode? LOL)

Thanks in advance. 

~Eric~

AKA

The Lonely Raven (in various forums)

Is the Bridge II a HQPlayer NAA?  Have you enabled it if it is?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

@Miska why do I have 3 different options for the Multi Core DSP check box in Settings?  I can get a check mark, a empty check box, and filled in check box.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 minutes ago, tboooe said:

@Miska why do I have 3 different options for the Multi Core DSP check box in Settings?  I can get a check mark, a empty check box, and filled in check box.

From the manual (emphasis mine):

"Multicore DSP increases parallelization of various DSP operations. When the selection box is grayed, automatic detection and configuration is active. For best performance it is recommended to use the auto-detection. Mostly useful on computers with multiple slower (real) CPU cores or when using CUDA offload. Since this parallelization increases processing overhead, it will increase total CPU time consumption. “CUDA offload” can utilize nVidia GPU to partially offload the processing from CPU to GPU. CUDA offload requires nVidia GPU with minimum Compute Capability level 3.0, 2 GB of graphics RAM and official nVidia drivers. When offload is enabled and suitable GPU is available, message about the offload is briefly shown at the beginning of playback of each track. When CUDA offload is enabled, also Multicore DSP should be enabled, or left at automatic setting to achieve best performance."

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

1 hour ago, Eric Ventura said:

That's just it, it the NAA Discovery crashes before anything shows up. 

I thought maybe I needed to install something or I missed a setting. 

Bridge II does not function as an HQPlayer NAA. See this comment on the PS audio forums:  

Bootzilla said 
Thanks, Dennis, the Bridge II firmware version 2.9.14 is working very well so far in my DS.

One question/request for a future Bridge II firmware update: Would it be possible to incorporate the Signalyst Network Audio Adapter (NAA) so that DS users could experiment with HQPlayer over a network?  

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

I will mention that to the bridge programmers, but I would not hold your breath

4 hours ago, jhwalker said:

From the manual (emphasis mine):

"Multicore DSP increases parallelization of various DSP operations. When the selection box is grayed, automatic detection and configuration is active. For best performance it is recommended to use the auto-detection. Mostly useful on computers with multiple slower (real) CPU cores or when using CUDA offload. Since this parallelization increases processing overhead, it will increase total CPU time consumption. “CUDA offload” can utilize nVidia GPU to partially offload the processing from CPU to GPU. CUDA offload requires nVidia GPU with minimum Compute Capability level 3.0, 2 GB of graphics RAM and official nVidia drivers. When offload is enabled and suitable GPU is available, message about the offload is briefly shown at the beginning of playback of each track. When CUDA offload is enabled, also Multicore DSP should be enabled, or left at automatic setting to achieve best performance."

Thank you.  I guess I should RTFM!  What's strange is that in my system with an i7-3770s processor, having Multicore DSP set to on (checked) results in better performance when upsampling DSD128 to DSD256.  With Multicore DSP set to off or automatic I get a little bit of static once in a while. Converting from PCM to DSD256 doesn't have any problems for me.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Anyone out there care to share subjective opinions on the sound of trumpets and other brass instruments with poly-sinc-xtr filters? To my ears this filter improves a vast majority of recordings, with the notable exception of brass instruments in a particular register. Lacking the vocabulary but I would characterize the sound as "dry". Willing to entertain the possibility that I am losing my mind ? Maybe I need to be listening to the linear phase version for small ensembles. 

7 hours ago, jhwalker said:

Go back to the current supported version of Windows 10 ;)  i.e., 14393.

Seriously, I had the same issue trying to run HQPlayer on any recent builds of Windows 10 I got through the Windows Insider Program.  I suspect the new memory model that was introduced in the past couple of months for Insiders "breaks" HQP - I reported it here as well.

Hopefully, Miska is looking ahead and will make a compile that will work on the newer Windows 10 builds.

Yes, 14393 is what I have currently and works for me at least.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix their problems in Windows before they push out new updates. But I'm not holding my breath because all their recent updates across the board have been crap. Seems like they mostly focus on adding more malwertising and spyware features. Breaking existing applications within the same major OS version is not good practice, although Apple has been doing the same.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I don't participate on Windows Insider Program. I am on Version 1607 Build 14393.693 which I got using standard Windows updates. I have no troubles running HQPlayer 3.16.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
9 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Bridge II does not function as an HQPlayer NAA. See this comment on the PS audio forums:  

Thanks for that - I was a beta tester for the Bridge II so I sent them an E-mail saying "Hey! we could use some HQPlayer support!" 

I guess I'll just have to put off HQPlayer for now, or break down and try it locally via USB, which I was trying to avoid, but I guess I'm back to it now. LOL

15 minutes ago, Eric Ventura said:

Thanks for that - I was a beta tester for the Bridge II so I sent them an E-mail saying "Hey! we could use some HQPlayer support!" 

I guess I'll just have to put off HQPlayer for now, or break down and try it locally via USB, which I was trying to avoid, but I guess I'm back to it now. LOL

Sorry I'm just popping in late, but is it Ethernet connectivity, an NAA, or both you're lacking?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, Jud said:

Sorry I'm just popping in late, but is it Ethernet connectivity, an NAA, or both you're lacking?

Well it crashes during Network Naming - I'm still learning HQPlayer - but so far I can't do anything with it network wise.  So now I guess I'm going to figure out how to get it to work via USB directly to my DirectStream. Or, I guess HQPlayer works with Roon which I'm signed up for through September to see if I like it - but the DirectStream doesn't support DSD128 via network - so direct via USB sounds like it's probably in my future. 

I hope I'm not confusing things - I've used Foobar for years, and Roon made me lazy because it's so easy! 

Just now, Eric Ventura said:

Well it crashes during Network Naming - I'm still learning HQPlayer - but so far I can't do anything with it network wise. 

The reason I asked is if you have Ethernet connectivity, you can get a CuBox for around $96 (look for CuBoxTV on Jet.com) and use it as your NAA.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

32 minutes ago, bogi said:

I bought this one for 77 EUR with Win10 preinstalled. For test purposes I installed also Ubuntu and can run NAA on both OS.

I'm using a Lenovo TFF (Tiny Form Factor) PC that basically looks like that, but with an Intel i5 Processor. So my PC isn't the problem, I just need to figure out the best way to get HQPlayer to stream to my DirectStream DAC 

16 minutes ago, Eric Ventura said:

I'm using a Lenovo TFF (Tiny Form Factor) PC that basically looks like that, but with an Intel i5 Processor. So my PC isn't the problem, I just need to figure out the best way to get HQPlayer to stream to my DirectStream DAC 

That is what everyone it trying to do.  They are giving you cheap streaming options that will work as a NAA endpoint for HQPlayer and direct connect to your DAC via USB.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 hour ago, bogi said:

I bought this one for 77 EUR with Win10 preinstalled. For test purposes I installed also Ubuntu and can run NAA on both OS.

Drivers permitting, I recommend installing either Ubuntu (Server) or Debian without any GUI on such device. I already provide a tuned kernel for both. But it requires some familiarity with Linux.

When I have time, I may make similar NAA image for PC I already have for some ARM platforms. But the challenge is that PC hardware varies really widely. For ARM it is more straightforward to say hardware X, Y and Z are supported.

Miska, there was a reference on Roon Labs to something you posted regarding Cuda Z: upgrade-gpu-more-coda-processing-power-683.

As you know all of the links have been deleted. Please provide the link. Thank you.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

2 hours ago, bogi said:

Hi Bogi, did you tried "this one" to stream DSD512 on Win10 with a good SQ ?
Any enhancement replacing PSU ?

I'm using T+A DAC8DSD and due to Amanero Linux driver limitation i'm unfortunately sticked on Windows ASIO.  I'm looking for a good win NAA endpoint HW.

Thank you.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

11 minutes ago, volpone said:

Hi Bogi, did you tried "this one" to stream DSD512 on Win10 with a good SQ ?
Any enhancement replacing PSU ?

My DAC is only DSD128 capable and therefore I didn't try higher bitrates. But I don't see a reason why it shouldn't function if both DAC firmware and USB driver support that.

I plan to try iFi iPower 12V as alternate power supply but I didn't order it yet.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
42 minutes ago, slingshot said:

Miska, there was a reference on Roon Labs to something you posted regarding Cuda Z: upgrade-gpu-more-coda-processing-power-683.

As you know all of the links have been deleted. Please provide the link. Thank you.

Sorry but I need a bit more context, otherwise I don't know what this is about...

I'm using a Tronsmart Ara 5 (Win 10 + ASIO driver) as NAA with my Lampizator for DSD512 playback.

After a considerable amount of time optimising the OS by disabling unwanted services and replacing the supplied 5v smps with a Long Dog audio linear psu I am pleased with the results.

Prior to having my Lampizator upgraded to DSD512, I was using MicroRendu +LPS-1 for playback of DSD128.

Because native DSD512 Linux playback is not supported on the Amenero usb interface fitted to the Lampizator I was forced to replace the MicroRendu/LPS-1 with the Win10 NAA in order to utilise the DSD512 capability.

I've yet to do extensive listening but I still prefer the MicroRendu/LPS-1 (limited to DSD128) over the Win10 NAA capable DSD512.

I just hope a solution is found to overcome the Amenero/Linux issue that would enable DSD512 playback through the MicroRendu.

M