IGNORED

HQ Player

I was able to use dsd1024x and the poly sinc ext filter And seems just fine. But still can seem to do poly sinc xtr as it stutters after a little while.

in have the cuda cores option to be checked and the cpu cores to be checked.

would it be better if I change the multi core to grey out? 

It seems to run better when its checked.

latency is around 1.36ms input and 2.59ms output

sounds excellent :)

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

2 hours ago, Bimmer100 said:

I was able to use dsd1024x and the poly sinc ext filter And seems just fine. But still can seem to do poly sinc xtr as it stutters after a little while.

in have the cuda cores option to be checked and the cpu cores to be checked.

latency is around 1.36ms input and 2.59ms output

I didn't even try xtr at DSD1024... -2s filters to DSD1024 shouldn't be much problem for powerful machine, but non-2s will be very heavy. I had some challenges to keep ASDM7 modulator running without occasional drop-outs, after switching to simpler DSD5 modulator I didn't have any challenges.

For most of my measurements I used poly-sinc-ext2 or closed-form.

From the driver control panel I selected largest possible buffer and left Safe mode enabled. And in HQPlayer "Buffer time" is left to "Default" so it'll use the size proposed by the driver.

Also check that you have "High Performance" or "Ultimate Performance" power profile selected. Because this will need about maximum Turbo Boost capacity. From Windows Task Manager -> Resource Monitor you can check how the CPU/GPU load looks like and what clock rate the CPU runs at.

2 hours ago, Bimmer100 said:

There's no easy way to tell for multicore machine which one will perform better when you are close to maximum capacity. So just use the one that seems to work better. When CUDA offload is enabled it should make less difference anyway.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I've just upgraded to the latest version of HQ Player but I'm having a problem.

My Korg DSDAC100m automatically switches from PCM to DSD when it needs to in HQP. Not so my new Topping NX4 DSD DAC; No matter what I do it refuses to automatically switch to DSD from PCM mode. It just plays noise instead.

Mode switching is fine in latest version of Foobar2000 for both DAC's.

Does anyone have any idea of this?

1 hour ago, Iain said:

I've just upgraded to the latest version of HQ Player but I'm having a problem.

My Korg DSDAC100m automatically switches from PCM to DSD when it needs to in HQP. Not so my new Topping NX4 DSD DAC; No matter what I do it refuses to automatically switch to DSD from PCM mode. It just plays noise instead.

Mode switching is fine in latest version of Foobar2000 for both DAC's.

Does anyone have any idea of this?

Are you using ASIO driver / backend? If so, please check that "SDM Pack" is set to "None".

Did you change any other setting when switching to another DAC than the output device?

52 minutes ago, Miska said:

Are you using ASIO driver / backend? If so, please check that "SDM Pack" is set to "None".

Yes. I've tried the "SDM Pack" setting both ways, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Did you change any other setting when switching to another DAC than the output device?

Other than switching to the appropriate device driver, no.

For some reason Roon 1.6 with Qobuz seems to have broken the ability to work with HQ Player.  I'm now getting an error message in Roon: "Playback failed because $ couldn't connect to HQ Player." In HQ Player under settings I also suddenly can't see my DAC anymore even though in my NAA settings the DAC clearly shows up.  Any ideas? 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

59 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

For some reason Roon 1.6 with Qobuz seems to have broken the ability to work with HQ Player.  I'm now getting an error message in Roon: "Playback failed because $ couldn't connect to HQ Player." In HQ Player under settings I also suddenly can't see my DAC anymore even though in my NAA settings the DAC clearly shows up.  Any ideas? 

Fixed the issue.  Upgrading Roon to version 1.6 reset the setting in my NAA from HQ Player as "Active" to Roon ready as "Active."  Just needed to find that setting and reset it to HQ Player. 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

On 1/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, Miska said:

"Auto rate family" does that, but it applies equally to both PCM and DSD outputs. You also need to set rate limit to higher of the two, so 192k in this case.

But technically, for PCM I would keep 192k output whenever possible because the difference in CPU load too  is so minimal. Some filters that cannot convert between rate families will enforce that rule in any case.

I see people talking about the “lp” filters.  Yet I don’t see them in my up to date desktop version.. am I missing something?

3 hours ago, DancingSea said:

I see people talking about the “lp” filters.  Yet I don’t see them in my up to date desktop version.. am I missing something?

No, all good!

"lp" stands either for "low pass" or "linear phase".

In the context of HQPlayer I'd assume the abbreviation "lp" refers to the linear phase.

"lp" filters are all the filters that do not explicitly contain the sufffix "mp" (minimum phase) in their respective naming... with the exception of 1.) "IIR" which is minimum phase by design and 2.) "asym FIR" which is intermediate phase.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

On 10/14/2018 at 4:21 AM, Miska said:

Oh yes, if you have 6700K then that is certainly a good option! It is not so different from the 7700K I have. And with the combination of 7700K and RTX2080 I can upsample RedBook to DSD512 using poly-sinc-xtr.

Hi Jussi. Which motherboard do you use with 7700K and RTX2080?

10 hours ago, Lio_B said:

I'm using Qobuz via Roon with HQPlayer

I limited sample rate to 96 kHz in PCM settings of HQP, I don't want higher.

But when Qobuz stream a 192 kHz file, HQPlayer do not like that, a progress bar stop the playing.

is it impossible for HQP to downgrading this rate ?

thanks

Try the ASRC filter. That should work.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:47 PM, Lio_B said:

I'm using Qobuz via Roon with HQPlayer

I limited sample rate to 96 kHz in PCM settings of HQP, I don't want higher.

But when Qobuz stream a 192 kHz file, HQPlayer do not like that, a progress bar stop the playing.

is it impossible for HQP to downgrading this rate ?

Yes, most filters work well for that purpose, for example most of the poly-sinc ones. Please see the table in manual for more details on the filters.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:03 AM, Outlaw said:

Is there any way to get rid of clipping in HQPlayer.Have volume set at max - 6.Seen limited counter today one song that was at 9

It depends on a track and selected filter. I use -3 dB volume setting, but there are some tracks where that's not enough... But not so many in the end.

18 minutes ago, luisma said:

Very nice, this is the same manufacturer I am looking for to build my new rig, also USB 3.1 is supposed to be more shielded for EMI/RFI, very nice Jussi, you using water cooling by any chance?

No, I have the same massive Noctua NH-D15 (newer NH-D15S may be easier to fit) as in the i7-6950X machine. BIOS is too aggressive on the second "OPT" fan controller, but with just one fan in the middle and using just the regular "CPU" fan controller, it should be pretty quiet on this board too. At least on the other Gigabyte board where the 6950X is, it is practically totally silent when CPU fan profile is set to "Silent".

The board model is quite old already, I've had it for couple of years. Probably there are even better Z270/Z370 boards around...