IGNORED

HQ Player

21 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

If you are definitely upgrading, go to the i7-8700K instead.

18 minutes ago, rickca said:

Why not go for i7-9700K?  It's available now.

Good idea guys but I want to keep my existing LGA1151 mobo because it can do 99% of my library at DSD512 with 2 channel convolution.  It only struggles on my DSD128 files which I only have a few.  Also, my mobo (Gigabyte Z270MX Gaming 5) does not support the gen 8 CPUs.  I am only upgrading the CPU because I will be going into a new case and adding a fan so changing it will be easy and pretty cost effective.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

On 2/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, ddetaey said:

But, I do prefer non-2s as well. 

With my T+A Dac I even slightly prefer DSD256 - poly-sinc-xtr-lp compared with DSD512 - poly-sinc-xtr-lp-2s

I wish I understood what is different between 1 step and 2 steps in a particular filter, as the Dac itself is not aware what happens with the bits before receiving them.

Hi Dirk,

Interested on your feedback with T+A DAC. 

- Are you using AMD RYZEN CPU and which model ? 

- What is your CPU load for DSD256 - poly-sinc-xtr-lp  ? 

- Which associated modulator (ASDM7 or other ?) and do you use convolution filter too ?

Thank you ...

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

1 hour ago, volpone said:

Hi Dirk,

Interested on your feedback with T+A DAC. 

- Are you using AMD RYZEN CPU and which model ? 

- What is your CPU load for DSD256 - poly-sinc-xtr-lp  ? 

- Which associated modulator (ASDM7 or other ?) and do you use convolution filter too ?

Thank you ...

My streamer is making use of an AMD Ryzen 2700 processor ( 16 cores - 8 real, 8virtual)

Load with DSD256 is about 25%, to be multiplied by 2 due to virtual cores (dixit Miska) wit poly-sinc-xtr-lp filter

I do use ASDM7 modulator, but no convolution filter.

Dirk

4 hours ago, ddetaey said:

My streamer is making use of an AMD Ryzen 2700 processor ( 16 cores - 8 real, 8virtual)

Load with DSD256 is about 25%, to be multiplied by 2 due to virtual cores (dixit Miska) wit poly-sinc-xtr-lp filter

Dirk

With SMT/HT 50% load corresponds to all real cores,so 25% load will actually be 4 cores.

3 hours ago, volpone said:

Thank you @ddetaey,

Dirk, one more question: Based on your experiences what about SQ differences between DSD256 and DSD512 using DAC8 DSD ? Filter dependent ?

To be honest, for me filter is more important than upsampling rate, at least with the T+A 8 DSD dac.

To be complete, I do prefer the heavier filters, and as said before, I prefer DSD256 with a single step filter (non-2s) than DSD512 with 2-step filter (-2s)

Due to this preference I have not tested the lightest filters such as poly-sinc-short, neither in DSD256 nor DSD512.

Please take into account that DSD512 on native Linux does not work with the T+A 8 DSD Dac (or any other dac using the Amanero USB module). Apparently it works fine using Windows but I have not tried that (nor am I interested to try that).

On an ifi Micro DSD dac, DSD512 is working fine (with a poly-sinc-xtr-lp-2s filter in my case, as my streamer processor cannot handle the load of the 1-step filter).

However, for me there is a hugh SQ difference with the T+A 8 DSD, which is much better even with DSD256.

To conclude, for me DSD256 is as good as DSD512 for what I can hear, and due to my fanless streamer, this matches nicely with my streamers capapilites of handling Jussi's top filters.

Dirk

One of the main SQ difference between DSD256 and DSD512 on T+A DAC8 DSD is airiness. DSD512 gives more realistic and 3-dimensional with a lot of “air” around instruments and voices while DSD256 by comparison sounds quite flat. It's very easy to tell the difference with good wide-frequency range headphones like HD800 or T1.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

35 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

One of the main SQ difference between DSD256 and DSD512 on T+A DAC8 DSD is airiness. DSD512 gives more realistic and 3-dimensional with a lot of “air” around instruments and voices while DSD256 by comparison sounds quite flat. It's very easy to tell the difference with good wide-frequency range headphones like HD800 or T1.

I agree. And I assume this is partly because it is only when you feed it 512 that you are taking full advantage of the T+A DAC8 DSD’s filterless DAC. As I under stand it, when you feed it 256 the DAC has to do extra processing. So anyone preferring 256 to 512 using the same filter in HQPlayer is actually preferring the effect of the DAC’s extra processing. 

3 minutes ago, craighartley said:

And I assume this is partly because it is only when you feed it 512 that you are taking full advantage of the T+A DAC8 DSD’s filterless DAC. As I under stand it, when you feed it 256 the DAC has to do extra processing. So anyone preferring 256 to 512 using the same filter in HQPlayer is actually preferring the effect of the DAC’s extra processing. 

Interested in technical insight from @Miska on DAC8 DSD extra processing when fed from DSD256 ...
Also I think he made some measurements comparing DSD256 vs DSD512 ?

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

29 minutes ago, craighartley said:

I agree. And I assume this is partly because it is only when you feed it 512 that you are taking full advantage of the T+A DAC8 DSD’s filterless DAC. As I under stand it, when you feed it 256 the DAC has to do extra processing. So anyone preferring 256 to 512 using the same filter in HQPlayer is actually preferring the effect of the DAC’s extra processing. 

I don't think so. Its 1 bit SDM part is NOS. No extra DSP processing even when you feed DSD256.

The improvement of DSD512 may due to the significant reduced amount of ultrasonic noise passing through to the analogue part. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

44 minutes ago, Miska said:

AFAIK, the DAC8 DSD is bit-perfect at all DSD rates. I would say it is matter of taste whether one prefers it at DSD256 vs DSD512... In that respect it is a bit like Holo Spring too.

That’s interesting. I can’t remember where I read about it’s different behaviour with 256 vs 512, but I’ll try to find it. It was either on one of these discussion threads or in a review soon after it first came out. 

I will never criticize anyone for using Windows.  I use a Mac and music just sounds great IMHO.  Never an issue with HQ player so far.  

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

10 hours ago, ddetaey said:

Dirk

Hi Dirk, I've read that it is advised to disable HyperThreading (virtual cores) in audiostreamers. What are the experiences here w.r.t. disabling/enabling HT and SQ with HQP? 

5 hours ago, ddetaey said:

To be honest, for me filter is more important than upsampling rate, at least with the T+A 8 DSD dac.

To be complete, I do prefer the heavier filters, and as said before, I prefer DSD256 with a single step filter (non-2s) than DSD512 with 2-step filter (-2s) Due to this preference I have not tested the lightest filters such as poly-sinc-short, neither in DSD256 nor DSD512.

Please take into account that DSD512 on native Linux does not work with the T+A 8 DSD Dac (or any other dac using the Amanero USB module). Apparently it works fine using Windows but I have not tried that (nor am I interested to try that).

On an ifi Micro DSD dac, DSD512 is working fine (with a poly-sinc-xtr-lp-2s filter in my case, as my streamer processor cannot handle the load of the 1-step filter). However, for me there is a hugh SQ difference with the T+A 8 DSD, which is much better even with DSD256.

To conclude, for me DSD256 is as good as DSD512 for what I can hear, and due to my fanless streamer, this matches nicely with my streamers capapilites of handling Jussi's top filters....

Thank's Dirk for your detailed answers. I've too updated AMANERO USB receiver FW to 1099c and i'm pleased to use my DAC from LINUX device (NAA under DietPi on ALLO USBridge) up to DSD256 (native):  Good SQ and very stable. I'm probably going to take RYZEN 2700 way to get enough CPU "horse power" to run HQP "non -2S" heavy filters. 

Best.

Setup details

27 minutes ago, PieterP said:

Hi Dirk, I've read that it is advised to disable HyperThreading (virtual cores) in audiostreamers. What are the experiences here w.r.t. disabling/enabling HT and SQ with HQP? 

Sorry but cannot help you with this one, as my streamer - Pinkfaun 2.16 is a 'closed' system, which I cannot experiment with. (Not that I want to)

In my streamer hypertreading is active

Dirk

20 minutes ago, PieterP said:

Why not wait a few months for the new ryzen 3000 series? Even more ooomp per euro and per watt tdp. 

Sure, will see ! i'm looking for good compromise ooomp / TDP / euros. 2700 CPU power (65W TDP) seems already quite OK.

Setup details

Hi, has anyone tried connecting a Linux based NAA endpoint to a Devialet system (and using the built in DAC).  I am thinking about upgrading my current setup, but can’t imagine life without HQPlayer.  I assuming it will be PCM output instead of DSD, but I wanted to know if the Built-in DAC will be recognized by Linux.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, PieterP said:

You cannot enter your bios, where you can disable HT?

No for different reasons:

- I loose my warranty

- System is headless, and for Bios updates, you need to communicate with the hardware (no remote software access to that)

I would need to open case and put in videocard , warranty again plus all risks that go with that.

- risk of impacting hardware signature towards HQplayer

Reasons I do not want to:

My fanless streamer is at this moment in perfect ‘power balance’ with capabilities of my Dac. I.e. It is running (hand)warm but not hot!

I like to keep it that way

Dirk

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, has anyone tried connecting a Linux based NAA endpoint to a Devialet system (and using the built in DAC).  I am thinking about upgrading my current setup, but can’t imagine life without HQPlayer.  I assuming it will be PCM output instead of DSD, but I wanted to know if the Built-in DAC will be recognized by Linux.  Thank you.

Yes, it works. I have installed an i7 NUC endpoint running Audiolinux/ramboot with either Roonbridge or NAA with the Devialet. It plays up to 192k PCM or DSD64. It's sounds just beautiful, especially with a NUC server as well.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 hours ago, PieterP said:

Just leave it enabled, it makes OS context switching between processes/threads faster...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers