IGNORED

HQ Player

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, I have the same massive Noctua NH-D15 (newer NH-D15S may be easier to fit) as in the i7-6950X machine. BIOS is too aggressive on the second "OPT" fan controller, but with just one fan in the middle and using just the regular "CPU" fan controller, it should be pretty quiet on this board too. At least on the other Gigabyte board where the 6950X is, it is practically totally silent when CPU fan profile is set to "Silent".

The board model is quite old already, I've had it for couple of years. Probably there are even better Z270/Z370 boards around...

I have a Noctua NH-D14 on a gaming rig, 6.5 years already still going, great cooling, I was looking more into a mini ITX board, as of today with USB 3.1, Intel and Ultra Durable (which has better components ergo better shielding) they have only 7th gen not 8th yet, guess around March they will release a new board or something.... will see

Shielding in SQ is a big part of it, I do among other things RF assessments and installs on buildings and high-rise towers for a living and it is extremely but extremely hard to block leaking of EMI/RFI in components that's why these boards are so attractive.

Thanks, I may stick to air cooling 

Server question:

I updated my I7-3770 server this weekend from 2 hard drives (1 for Win 10/Roon/HQP and the other for 300 gb music library to a single 500 gb SSD and swapped out an old AMD video card for a GTX 1050Ti, the largest my small power supply could handle.

Before the update I could run Poly-sinc extreme at DSD 256 with no problem, but I couldn't run Closed 16M without stuttering. Now with cuda enabled, I can run Closed 16M but not Poly-sinc extreme anymore!

What's happening, doesn't make sense to me?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

15 minutes ago, steveoat said:

Does anyone have experience using HQ player with the new NAD D3045?  It supports DSD, yet when I try to upsample to DSD, I can only upsample to PCM.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Are you using it on Windows or something else? The manual seems to have a lot of babble about MQA + foobar combination, but nothing else much useful and no word what so ever about DSD. And their web page is equally confusing...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 minutes ago, rah50 said:

Before the update I could run Poly-sinc extreme at DSD 256 with no problem, but I couldn't run Closed 16M without stuttering. Now with cuda enabled, I can run Closed 16M but not Poly-sinc extreme anymore!

It is not very surprising. GTX 1050Ti is not particularly fast, but closed-form can benefit the most from CUDA offload, so it probably works quite well still. While poly-sinc is also heavy for the GPU. So depending on which filter you want to run, you can select whether you want CUDA offload or not.

2 minutes ago, steveoat said:

I am using it with Windows.  I can get DSD upsampling using the sample rate conversion DSP in Roon (I can see the DSD logo on the NAD screen).  However, when I turn off the Roon upsampling, and just try to use HQ Player, I can only get PCM upsampling,

Are you using ASIO driver with both? And does SDM (DSD) output mode appear in HQPlayer, and if it does, did you select it?

In many cases you also need to make sure "Auto rate family" is not enabled and that SDM rate limit is set to 44.1k multiple. Because most drivers and/or DACs don't support 48k-base DSD rates.

4 minutes ago, steveoat said:

Hi Miska,

I am using it with Windows.  I can get DSD upsampling using the sample rate conversion DSP in Roon (I can see the DSD logo on the NAD screen).  However, when I turn off the Roon upsampling, and just try to use HQ Player, I can only get PCM upsampling,

This may or may not help.  I’m using a MacBook Pro to run Roon/ HQP.  About half the time, when I first start things up, I get stuttering when upsampling to DSD 128.  I’ve found that if I switch back to DSD 64, play a few seconds of a track, and then switch back to DS 128 that all runs smoothly for the rest of the session....

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

Are you using ASIO driver with both? And does SDM (DSD) output mode appear in HQPlayer, and if it does, did you select it?

In many cases you also need to make sure "Auto rate family" is not enabled and that SDM rate limit is set to 44.1k multiple. Because most drivers and/or DACs don't support 48k-base DSD rates.

I am using ASIO with both. SDM appears in both and selected it and rate limit 44.1 k.  When I play back still PCM and getting distortion.

5 minutes ago, steveoat said:

I am using ASIO with both. SDM appears in both and selected it and rate limit 44.1 k.  When I play back still PCM and getting distortion.

Do you have DoP enabled? With ASIO you likely should have "SDM Pack" set to "None".

Also make sure you don't have the same ASIO driver enabled as output zone in Roon. Otherwise the two will have fight over the same device.

You could be also running out of CPU power, so please check that you initially have some light -2s filter variant.

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

Do you have DoP enabled? With ASIO you likely should have "SDM Pack" set to "None".

Also make sure you don't have the same ASIO driver enabled as output zone in Roon. Otherwise the two will have fight over the same device.

You could be also running out of CPU power, so please check that you initially have some light -2s filter variant.

Followed all you suggestions and now everything is working.  Thanks,  Bruce

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

3 hours ago, jvvita said:

Hey gays,

is anyone using HAF filters with HQPlayer?

Their proposal seems interesting, just wandering if anyone has real life experience with them.

https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/

Have you seen this thread?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Just wondering now that HQPlayer pro is out is HQPlayer going to continue and get updates.Speaking for me i would not have a issue with a upgrade fee.Cant make money to doing upgrades continually for free.Thanks

Pro is a separate product targeted on pro-audio (recording studios and record labels). It is by no means replacement for Desktop. All three products, Desktop, Embedded and Pro will continue to exist and target their own respective use cases.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Pro is a separate product targeted on pro-audio (recording studios and record labels). It is by no means replacement for Desktop. All three products, Desktop, Embedded and Pro will continue to exist and target their own respective use cases.

I was happy to purchase HQPlayer in part because of Jussi's amazing track record of interval updates. I always look forward to his latest tweaks / new modulator and filter options and combinations to try out. It's one of the reasons HQPlayer is a solid value even though not inexpensive software. Coming from FooBar freeware it was part of what made HQPlayer worth the initial outlay cost.

So would I pay for updates? Definitely a new version, yes. Intra-version, interval tweaks, yes probably also to support Jussi and a great product but I confess, it would take a bit of the halo off of HQPlayer as contrasted to other options.

Just my thoughts. Whatever the future holds for HQPlayer, Jussi's track record of excellence, committment to his customers and appreciation of wonderfully reproduced music is very refreshing and appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

2 hours ago, sixman said:

I use HAF filters in pipeline matrix in HQP. To me it sounded better than having the HAF filters in Roon. This is with upsampling to DSD256.

I agree.  HQPe handles the impulse file or applies the effect better or in a way I prefer more than Roon.  I don't use HQPe to upsample.

Alright guys, I am finally going to build an actively cooled server PC so I can try CUDA.  I am hoping that using some of the more computational heavy filters in HQP will result in better sound to me.  My intent is to buy some mini-itx Asus mobo and the Streacom DA-2 case (https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/clinical/precision-medicine.html).  

Anyway, I would really appreciate some advice on what GPU to consider.  I have never bought a GPU before so I have no idea what to look for or consider.  Thank you in advance!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I have a question about updating the library.

I have about 5TB of uncompressed music and my library.xml file is about 9MB.

My question is how to best update the library.xml file.

I have a complex directory structure below my root directory with as few as 2 or as many as 8-9 levels from the root directory to a individual album.

My understanding is that a "scan" of the root directory would update the library.xml file but I seem to be running into some issues.

Example:

I usually put recent obtained music in a directory, for example a new 'album1' would first be placed at

/Music/To be moved/album1

This way,  I can easily listen to my most recently obtained music.

Later, I move this album to it's final home, say /Music/Jazz/Ellington/album1

What I seem to see, if I'm doing things correctly, is that album1 is placed in the Ellington sub-directory but library.xml still has a record in the original location, which is no longer occupied.

So I guess my question is, should a "library scan" find all albums that have been moved or renamed and also eliminate the "old" out of date info?  What is considered a duplicate (which are ignored, I believe)?

What about 2 versions of the same album (e.g. 16/44 vs. 24/96 versions)?

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

Example:

I usually put recent obtained music in a directory, for example a new 'album1' would first be placed at

/Music/To be moved/album1

This way,  I can easily listen to my most recently obtained music.

Later, I move this album to it's final home, say /Music/Jazz/Ellington/album1

What I seem to see, if I'm doing things correctly, is that album1 is placed in the Ellington sub-directory but library.xml still has a record in the original location, which is no longer occupied.

So I guess my question is, should a "library scan" find all albums that have been moved or renamed and also eliminate the "old" out of date info?

No, if some album appears in a different place, it is considered a new one. Currently unavailable items are not removed. They could be from offline storage such as USB disk that is not at the moment plugged in, or NAS that is not at the moment accessible or mounted (typical laptop use cases; travel vs home).

You need to manually remove the old entries if you want to make them disappear from the library data. This is quite simple since the library view is sorted by path, so things are grouped together based on storage structure.

What is considered a duplicate (which are ignored, I believe)?

There is no consideration of duplicate, and they are not ignored. You can have as many copies of the same album as you like.

What about 2 versions of the same album (e.g. 16/44 vs. 24/96 versions)?

Same thing, so you can have all versions visible at the same time. I have some of such. For example I have four versions of Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon. You can edit the stored metadata in the Library dialog to make it easier to find what you want.

For example for all hires tracks, I've appended something like "(HiRes)" to the album name in the library. Then I can just go to main window and type "hires" in search box and see just the hires albums.

That is actually one thing that annoys me to no end in Roon - I have not yet figured out a way how to easily search content based on format. And it is very much trying to hide the different versions of the same album.