IGNORED

Lampizator questions

Fred, Wisnon, others, some info on R2R would be great. I'm a huge fan of R2R so if you add that to a world class tube output stage would be great of course with the DSD as well.

But it is confusing - if you google lampizator r2r you end up on this page:

R2R DISCRETE

And at the bottom it says:

FOLLOW UP

Our company is famous for relentless R&D efforts and since we have two different people responsible for DAC digital works - one for R2R and one for Delta Sigma - we witnessed a furious competition to create the superior DAC engine. The R2R sets the bar so high that it seemed a mission impossible in 2015 for the delta sigma DAC to even approach the R2R. However in early 2016 we developed a new improved delta sigma DAC that redefined whats possible in this technology. In our internal (very accurate and long) testing we concluded, that both techniques became equally good. This allows us to offer BOTH technologies to our customers without any preference from our side which is used. The customer will not be able to distinguish himself which is which. It is only the matter of subjective, non audible preference of the end user.

So I could be wrong, but I read that this way: I had a PCM section based on a chip, then I went R2R and it was great, then I found a chip that is just as good. (Implied: chip is much easier/cheaper/faster to implement) so at this point you may as well get the latest chip variant save some cost (not sure if it cheaper but surely less work for Lampizator to make).

Am I totally off here? Tell us more.

Oh - and I'm not sure how low it goes - can Lite 7 can have either?

(Edit - the R2R uses an fpga, depending on which those can be expensive, though if you don't need a big one they don't have to be. But a single chip can easily be 1-3k in certain applications.)

• 1 month later...

Hey Lampi people - so the DAC 8 T+D is causing quite a stir.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/t-digital-analogue-converter-8-direct-stream-digital-27935/

And at 4k that is quite something. The essential comment is that HQPlayer on DSD form 128 to 256 is a big jump, but from 256 to 512 is a massive jump. I think 512 DSD on Lampi is fairly recent, are people doing HQPlayer to 512 to Lampi? Can someone comment?

Also, still curious if Lampi R2R is better or not that their chip version for PCM. Maybe they even aren't sure yet.

If the Lampi holds itself at 512 that would be good to know. Anyone heard Dac8 as well as Lite7 or over with DSD512?

Hey Lampi people - so the DAC 8 T+D is causing quite a stir.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/t-digital-analogue-converter-8-direct-stream-digital-27935/

And at 4k that is quite something. The essential comment is that HQPlayer on DSD form 128 to 256 is a big jump, but from 256 to 512 is a massive jump. I think 512 DSD on Lampi is fairly recent, are people doing HQPlayer to 512 to Lampi? Can someone comment?

Also, still curious if Lampi R2R is better or not that their chip version for PCM. Maybe they even aren't sure yet.

If the Lampi holds itself at 512 that would be good to know. Anyone heard Dac8 as well as Lite7 or over with DSD512?

There is a Der Siebener Dac with DSD512 in Monaco. Bill in the UK is upgrading his GG to DSD512. A reviewer in Europe has and Atlantic DSD512 to test with the SGM server( according to Lukasz)

Lampizator just announced the Atlantic DSDonly 512 Dac in homage to the soiund Galleries Server. price is €3,900. You can get a Basic Atlantic Dac for €4K with R2R DSD256 and PCM 384. For nativce rate playback it is reportedly outstanding (see feedback on AudioCircle). Lukasz confirmed that you can get and Atlantic R2R with optional Chipless DSD512 engine for likely €1K more than the base price. This will be a Killer.

The DH Pentodes will run in Triode mode and will be say 80% recessed into the chassis for easy rack stacking. High Frequency is more extended than the DHT Dacs.

Exciting times ahead!

I'm trying to find out as much info as possible about these wonderfull DAC's in order to purchase the right one, so maybe one of you experienced Lampi-users can help me out?

At the moment a Level 4 with a PCM-R2R upgrade seems to be the best deal for me. The only thing that worries me a bit is the manual selection of the PCM and DSD engine. How does work? I'm playing with Audirvana from a Mac Mini. Is changing the engine from PCM to DSD (and the other way around) just a matter of pushing a button? Or does the Mac or Audirvana need a reboot/restart in order to recognize the selected engine?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

I'm trying to find out as much info as possible about these wonderfull DAC's in order to purchase the right one, so maybe one of you experienced Lampi-users can help me out?

At the moment a Level 4 with a PCM-R2R upgrade seems to be the best deal for me. The only thing that worries me a bit is the manual selection of the PCM and DSD engine. How does work? I'm playing with Audirvana from a Mac Mini. Is changing the engine from PCM to DSD (and the other way around) just a matter of pushing a button? Or does the Mac or Audirvana need a reboot/restart in order to recognize the selected engine?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Martin, just get the basic Atlantic for 4K euro. It does PCM384 and DSD256 vis R2R board and it switches automatically. Get that and be done for now. Super price!

Martin, just get the basic Atlantic for 4K euro. It does PCM384 and DSD256 vis R2R board and it switches automatically. Get that and be done for now. Super price!

I own (and love) a Lampi L4G5 with some upgrades and am VERY curious of the Atlantic DAC.

Would like to hear it, of course, but if starting from scratch I'd certainly give it careful consideration.

OTOH I hadn't heard the L4G5 before acquiring it - upgraded from an Amber - and that sure turned out fine.

Hi Wisnon. I've considered the Atlantic as well but would like to know how DSD through the Atlantic's engine sounds compared to the "classic" chipless Lampi DSD. Did anyone get the chance to compare this? Or is it still too early for that? I have not seen any reviews of the Atlantic so far.

Martin

Hi Wisnon. I've considered the Atlantic as well but would like to know how DSD through the Atlantic's engine sounds compared to the "classic" chipless Lampi DSD. Did anyone get the chance to compare this? Or is it still too early for that? I have not seen any reviews of the Atlantic so far.

Martin

From what I heard Chipless may have the edge per sample rate, but it is hard to tell. AL is struggling to decide, as he has both in 2 different machines. Why decide, get BOTH in the Atlantic.Get the basic Atlantic Dac with R2R (dsd256 maximum) and ask Luk what it costs to include the chipless 512 modules as an option. Flip a switch and go between the 2 types of DSD.

From what I heard Chipless may have the edge per sample rate, but it is hard to tell. AL is struggling to decide, as he has both in 2 different machines. Why decide, get BOTH in the Atlantic.Get the basic Atlantic Dac with R2R (dsd256 maximum) and ask Luk what it costs to include the chipless 512 modules as an option. Flip a switch and go between the 2 types of DSD.

Which gets me back to my initial question ;-)

Is it just a matter of flipping a switch to select the seperate engines or does it require a reboot to connect to the computer (mac mini in my case)?

Which gets me back to my initial question ;-)

Is it just a matter of flipping a switch to select the seperate engines or does it require a reboot to connect to the computer (mac mini in my case)?

No reboot. My L4G5 requires flipping a switch. Other, later models have remote control for this function. Now, auto-switch is available.

Some info over here on Atlantic:

New Lampizator Atlantic DAC

Sounds like a pretty significant winner. Would be good to get some more review links here so we can see how it all stacks up.

We don't know how these things sound yet - it may be that Lampi at 256 is equal to T+A DAC8 at 512, or not. I'm not hung up on the 512 as a requirement, but instead just trying to achieve best sound quality regardless of bit rate.

It is so new, but would be fun if someone could drive it and T+A from HQPlayer at 256 and 512 and share results.

• 2 weeks later...

A different Lampi topic - does a Big 7 work if you use a USB cable without a working voltage line?

Deciding whether a two headed cable would be a step forward, or whether a cable with the voltage pins missing would be as good

Thanks

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

A different Lampi topic - does a Big 7 work if you use a USB cable without a working voltage line?

Yes it will. You do need a GND wire for the initial handshake.

Deciding whether a two headed cable would be a step forward, or whether a cable with the voltage pins missing would be as good

The two head cable made a difference in my setup giving weight to the soundstage

In comparison the single cable sounded thin.

Hope this helps.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Great, thanks

I'm going to try a Pachanko double headed USB, plus a Intona isolator ahead of a Mutec

The second USB to the Mutec will be without the voltage line

When I'm playing DSD128 or DSD256 I will run the double headed cable either direct to the dac, or via the Intona without the Mutec. I'm looking forward to finding out what does what

Great, thanks

I'm going to try Pachanko double headed USB, plus a Intona isolator ahead of a Mutec

The second USB to the Mutec will be without the voltage line

I wanted to be able to run the double headed cable either direct to the dac, or via the Intona without the Mutec, when I'm playing DSD128 or DSD256. I'm looking forward to finding out what does what

I found that there needs to be distance between the DAC/Mutec and the Intona. The PC to Intona (short cable) and Intona to DAC as far as possible, by using LANRover, or other Icron USB extender (Fiber or Cat5/6) to the DAC/Mutec, 15-100m, whatever you can manage. The DAC picks up leakage from the PC via the AC network, which can bypass the Intona's good work. The PC can be connected to ordinary AC supply, the DAC at least with isolation transformer close to amplifiers. Having distance reduces the leakage current, purely by resistive efforts and hopefully finds something else to pick on like your refrigerator.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I found that there needs to be distance between the DAC/Mutec and the Intona. The PC to Intona (short cable) and Intona to DAC as far as possible, by using LANRover, or other Icron USB extender (Fiber or Cat5/6) to the DAC/Mutec, 15-100m, whatever you can manage. The DAC picks up leakage from the PC via the AC network, which can bypass the Intona's good work. The PC can be connected to ordinary AC supply, the DAC at least with isolation transformer close to amplifiers. Having distance reduces the leakage current, purely by resistive efforts and hopefully finds something else to pick on like your refrigerator.

Good morning. Is the two headed cable you speak of from ifi

i have one I also have a ifi battery supply to go with it ?

Thanks, but I am going to try a Panchanko (plus their SATA cables)

Thanks for the advice, but I may be ok - there are three AC lines direct from the switchboard

The linear supply for the PC is on one (it runs on DC via its HDplex pico board), the dac on another and the amps on the third

The battery supplies for the PC SSDs are on an ordinary household circuit