IGNORED

Lampizator questions

Just acquired a lampi L4 Gen 4/5 with amanero USB input board and does anybody know if it uses the 5v from the computer coming down the USB cable or can it be used with a data only USB cable.

Thanks stewart

No you don't need the 5v connection for the Amanero USB board. However, in my setup, I found that the music had more weight with a dual headed cable with the power and data lines isolated from each other.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

With the level 4 gen4/5 I'm getting a fairly substantial click at the beginning and end of each file (album) but not between tracks using audiovarna, this has not been a problem with other dacs. Anyone else noticed this? Is there a cure or is it a feature?

What is your source material? I get these with some DSD files (converted from sacd iso files) and I think this has to do with the way the converter software handles the conversion.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

What is your source material? I get these with some DSD files (converted from sacd iso files) and I think this has to do with the way the converter software handles the conversion.

This is with red book aiff cd rips playing back via PCM I think!

I have the big button on the front in the out position, I think when it's pushed in you get dsd and when it's out you get pcm I am feeding the Mac USB directly into the lampi.

I don't think audiovarna is converting Pcm to dsd although I understand the software is able to do this, haven't experimented with that yet. The sound quality is absolutely great but I could do without the clicks.

With the level 4 gen4/5 I'm getting a fairly substantial click at the beginning and end of each file (album) but not between tracks using audiovarna, this has not been a problem with other dacs. Anyone else noticed this? Is there a cure or is it a feature?

I have a G4L5 and am using an Auralic Aries (top grade as player. I get a "pop" at the beginning of tracks during a playlist that jumps to songs on different albums. Does not occur when playing an album straight through.

With my G4L4 I do not get any "pop" at the beginning of tracks even jumping songs between different albums (Playlist created by Squeeze Ctrl in a Squeezebox Server played by a Lampizator Transport and sent to the Lampi DAC)

Cheers

This is an issue we've encountered a few times with Audiovana. It can be resolved domestically if necessary. Can you do me a favor and try playing the same playlist in itunes and see if the same behavior persists?

Best,

Fred A.

LampizatOr North America

This is an issue we've encountered a few times with Audiovana. It can be resolved domestically if necessary. Can you do me a favor and try playing the same playlist in itunes and see if the same behavior persists?

Best,

Fred A.

LampizatOr North America

Thanks Fred for taking the trouble to reply it's good to know the issue can be resolved. What do you mean "domestically"?

I am in the Uk so I will take it up with Greg when he gets back from Poland.

I am not using a playlist just directly playing a cd rip with Audiovana in integer mode.

It seems to be some sort of switching click as the lampi initiates and ends decoding of a file it never happens between tracks and doesn't happen if I switch from one album to another half way through.

Thanks Stewart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I fancy a Golden Gate but am confused. The website (besides having various spelling / grammar errors in English) doesn't seem to clarify if PCM is not up sampled, i.e. played bit perfect.

I was after a 1 year old GG but I am thinking this would have the old PCM chip board, not the new R-2R ladder board?

The new ladder board, as there is no pic of that on the website, is it like the TotalDAC type i.e. lots of resistors and chip less? My problem is the GG has great feedback on DSD playback but average (for the price point) on PCM.

Anyone pitched a Lampi Big 6 or 7 against an Audio Note DAC 4 or DAC 5? I have the DAC 4.

If I can't get the answers, I will go TotalDAC. I like the Lampi as it uses tubes and I can tweak the sound rolling them.

Any insight would be great guys.

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Hi Guys

I fancy a Golden Gate but am confused. The website (besides having various spelling / grammar errors in English) doesn't seem to clarify if PCM is not up sampled, i.e. played bit perfect.

I was after a 1 year old GG but I am thinking this would have the old PCM chip board, not the new R-2R ladder board?

The new ladder board, as there is no pic of that on the website, is it like the TotalDAC type i.e. lots of resistors and chip less? My problem is the GG has great feedback on DSD playback but average (for the price point) on PCM.

Anyone pitched a Lampi Big 6 or 7 against an Audio Note DAC 4 or DAC 5? I have the DAC 4.

If I can't get the answers, I will go TotalDAC. I like the Lampi as it uses tubes and I can tweak the sound rolling them.

Any insight would be great guys.

Go to WB Forum and ask Audiophile Bill. Not only does he have R2R like me, he has the latest firmware and says PCM is off the chain.

I prefer Lampi to TotalDa...which is quite good too.

Tube rolling is the cheery on top.

Thanks I will do that. On the GG do you upsample PCM to DSD in Audirvana+ or similar? And by doing that, do you get the full potential of the GG on DSD, or is it just genuine DSD file that kick butt?

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Thanks I will do that. On the GG do you upsample PCM to DSD in Audirvana+ or similar? And by doing that, do you get the full potential of the GG on DSD, or is it just genuine DSD file that kick butt?

I took my Mac mini with A+ converting PCM to DSD to a friends in the UK who has the GG Dac, the sound when converting to DSD was fantastic, we did an A/B test playing the same track as PCM and DSD and the difference was remarkable, the Lampizator Dac is in another league when playing through the DSD engine

After doing this demo I shall be getting a Lite7 myself in the near future

Lee

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

I took my Mac mini with A+ converting PCM to DSD to a friends in the UK who has the GG Dac, the sound when converting to DSD was fantastic, we did an A/B test playing the same track as PCM and DSD and the difference was remarkable, the Lampizator Dac is in another league when playing through the DSD engine

After doing this demo I shall be getting a Lite7 myself in the near future

Lee

Hi Lee

Yes, I imagine that is correct. The GG though is very average on PCM so you would hear a big jump using there preferred DSD engine. I think the TotalDAC on PCM would kick the GG's butt for sure. What I would be interested in knowing is if the GG on DSD still beat the TotalDAC Dual/Quad on PCM.

Fascinating subject and thank you for the info Lee.

Hi Lee

Yes, I imagine that is correct. The GG though is very average on PCM so you would hear a big jump using there preferred DSD engine. I think the TotalDAC on PCM would kick the GG's butt for sure. What I would be interested in knowing is if the GG on DSD still beat the TotalDAC Dual/Quad on PCM.

The GG is "very average on PCM" ???

NOT from the accounts I've heard and read.

I'm using a Lampizator L4G5 and it is not "very average on PCM."

The GG is "very average on PCM" ???

NOT from the accounts I've heard and read.

I'm using a Lampizator L4G5 and it is not "very average on PCM."

I am quoting various reviews such as 6 Moons and others who say the GG excels on DSD and is average / sub par to that on PCM. Remember the GG is the top DAC and big money from Lampizator. The latest version has had a new ladder type board to bring that back up to close DSD level. The reason I was concerned is the GG I was after (used) is an earlier unit so the old PCM board.

I have to listen to upsampled PCM to DSD to be convinced. I hate up sampling anything as having lived on R-2R DACs for 12 years and avoided just that. I remain to be convinced the new R-2R board which came out so quick would equal a TotalDAC that took years in the making. But I may be wrong, who knows?

I am quoting various reviews such as 6 Moons and others who say the GG excels on DSD and is average / sub par to that on PCM. Remember the GG is the top DAC and big money from Lampizator. The latest version has had a new ladder type board to bring that back up to close DSD level. The reason I was concerned is the GG I was after (used) is an earlier unit so the old PCM board.

I have to listen to upsampled PCM to DSD to be convinced. I hate up sampling anything as having lived on R-2R DACs for 12 years and avoided just that. I remain to be convinced the new R-2R board which came out so quick would equal a TotalDAC that took years in the making. But I may be wrong, who knows?

I also dislike upsampling and do like to listen to music in the format in which it was mastered. To my ears, while upsampling changes how the music sounds it changes the character of the music- not always a "good thing."

Hi Lee

Yes, I imagine that is correct. The GG though is very average on PCM so you would hear a big jump using there preferred DSD engine. I think the TotalDAC on PCM would kick the GG's butt for sure.

Where did you get that info from???

Totally false in my book.

There is digital arms race at Lampi. The DS group and the R2R group keep leapfrogging each other.

I heard the TotalDac a few years ago in Zurich (when I had an older B&) and preferred the B7 for PCM.

Its all a matter of taste at this level.

Hey Wisnon! What B7 build do you have (caps, tube type, etc.)? Anything on your upgrade wish list from Lampi when he comes back from his "3 day tour"? ;)

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Hi Lee

Sorry mate if I may of miss lead you their but the GG on PCM is really good but when the DSD engine is in use it gets a whole lot better especially with A+

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

Hey Wisnon! What B7 build do you have (caps, tube type, etc.)? Anything on your upgrade wish list from Lampi when he comes back from his "3 day tour"? ;)

Hi Junker

I have a SE Golden Gate now.

The SE B7 had had duelunds and many tube types. The GG has Jupiter caps. I have 300b, 101d, 6a3, 2a3 and 45s...plus 301s. I also have 12 rectifiers. No Elrogs, Krons or Takatsuki tubes and only one weak pair of vintage WE 101d DHTs.

I would love to get DSD via R2R and the latest R2R firmware update.

Positive Feedback: Lampizator Euforia review by Larry Cox

The review is a little strange in that Larry finds it hard to give outright praise for the Euforia but keeps qualifying it as the best live sounding gear he has heard at the price. To be honest I don't think he has let the Euforia settle in and his back and forth with a couple of tangents give me the impression that he got glimpses of the Lampi magic.

Finally it appears that the reviewer has been Lampized.

Larry has released a follow up to the earlier review

LampizatOr Euforia - Positive Feedback

It appears that he might have been one of the posters on the HQPlayer thread on here ... with Mike aka blizzard getting some mileage as well!!