IGNORED

Lampizator questions

I'm considering a 4/4 w/DSD, though it is above what I wanted to spend. Other than Lampi considering Chord+linearpsu+AP2wPower, Hex, PDX, or Vega. That said, I can't figure out a bunch of questions.

1) to switch between inputs do you need to use a physical switch on the back? I cant easily reach the back of my system. I wonder if the switch could be put on the side near the front (somewhat acceptable), or could be made switche-able via remote (great)?

2) The DSD module comes with the USB module. Does this have a RAM buffer, or do you only get that with the USB Transport?

3) Along those lines, how good is the USB module (not USB transport) compared to an Audiophilleo 2 w/PP? Another way of saying this is, if I added an AP2/wpp would it sound better or worse or the same?

4) Then there is the USB Transport. I've read that it comes with optional i2S connectors. Does the DAC have optional i2S inputs? Otherwise it would be hard to use :).

5) Using the USB Transport, can you do DSD? (I ask because it seems DSD can only come through the DSD module, which can only be fed from USB, or so it seems.) The output of the USB Transport is SPDIF, and I thought the DSD module can't take SPDIF input, but I have no idea if this is true.

6) If there is i2S between USB Transport and DAC, can DSD be sent to the USB Transport?

7) Okay, this is a wider more open question. So I've kept up on the Mytek thread and all they've gone through to get the drivers and computer connection correct. I'm a little worried about the USB Transport and whether Lampi as a company can properly manage that aspect. I want to send it JRiver signals at various bit and kHz levels with things like 'control/lock the device' (can't remember exact phrase), and don't want to find that there are all kinds of issues, and only one or two versions of settings combinations can be used without problems.

In the same way he teamed up a bit with Squeezebox, I almost think that the AP2/wpp may be a better way to go, heck it can take 384 or DSD 128 right now. And I've got to believe that while the Lampi guy may be king of tubes and power and DSD/PCM itself, the fact is that IT is a whole other category. I think that AP as a company will better be able to manage all of the computer issues. Then, it outputs a reasonable expected stream to the Lampi.

8) If I did use an AP2/wpp and sent it DSD, will it send DSD to the Lampi a way that it can read it (again, if DSD doesn't come in via USB maybe it can't do it?)? This would destroy my AP2/wpp + Lampi 4/4 idea.

9) At some point we have to get some reviews of 3 vs 4 and how much you loose. I think the 3 with no mods and made efficiently could be a huge seller in the US if they sent a bunch to the fledgling dealer network they are setting up. The 4 really is quite expensive regardless of how good it is. I do have the funds, but lets not pretend this isn't a ton of dough. I wonder if 3 + USB transporter sounds better than 4, for example? (Though the idea of getting the 4, and maybe even a year or two later, getting the transporter seems like a good upgrade path.)

Basically I'm trying to figure out how this would work in my system before buying stuff. Also, it may be that it is slightly too manual for my system. I don't mind 'manual' switching, but my family requires the use of a Logitech remote or else everyone else in the family gets really mad and can't remember how to do anything. Its one of the trade-offs they've agreed to in order to have Maggie 3.6s in the living room.

AURALiC Vega and be done. It works with any platform and easily switches between formats without clicking or pops. Great product with great service and with the new Aries coming it should be even mo better.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Lightminer,

I have a Lampi L4 and a Lampi DSD only Dac.

When I have time I will answer question.

I alsi have the Chord Qute HD with a LPSU. The Lampis are better!

They also blowsaway the Vega…My pal just sold his Vega after upgrading his old Lampi. I posted his email over at AudioCircle and JTWrace swaw it, but is in denial. LoL

Having said that, all these Dacs are good, its just that the Lampi sound a bit more analog and musical.

Feel free to PM me too.

Lightminer,

I have a Lampi L4 and a Lampi DSD only Dac.

When I have time I will answer question.

I alsi have the Chord Qute HD with a LPSU. The Lampis are better!

They also blowsaway the Vega…My pal just sold his Vega after upgrading his old Lampi. I posted his email over at AudioCircle and JTWrace swaw it, but is in denial. LoL

Having said that, all these Dacs are good, its just that the Lampi sound a bit more analog and musical.

Feel free to PM me too.

Subjectively it might sound better to YOU. To me, it doesn't. I've yet to see proper AP or dScope measurements and obviously never will. But continue along...

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

If enough of these get sold in the US, I'm sure we can do whatever tests people will want to do. What general city/state are you in? It might take a group getting together to do it.

I can have any unit measured for no cost. That's not the problem...the issue is getting the unit b/c I'm certainly not going to buy one.

Either way, carry on and good luck with your search. Everyone has certain criteria that they like. In the end, what's most important is that you think you have spent wisely and that resale will be there if you so choose to move along. Personally resale does mean something and buying something that has some future improvements is nice. There is nothing wose then when a company always seems to have the next best new product and you're always behind. Maybe it's just me though.

Good Luck!

AURALiC Vega and be done. It works with any platform and easily switches between formats without clicking or pops. Great product with great service and with the new Aries coming it should be even mo better.

I can't comment on the Lampizator, but I just received a Vega, and it works great. As jtwrace says, no drama, plays everything and has a lot of inputs.

Subjectively it might sound better to YOU. To me, it doesn't. I've yet to see proper AP or dScope measurements and obviously never will. But continue along...

You just have a bee in your bonnet.

My pal had both and was clear his preference. I did not make the distinction HE did. Deal with it.

Wisnon, thanks, I thought it might be you to answer my questions, I've seen your posts elsewhere.

Hey, also, can we get a clear list of US distributors? I think there are two guys in NY. Anything west coast?

All automatically switch between sample rates and input selection is by remote with the optional Volume Control. In any case, you can also switch with an outboard preamp.

The 4 is much better than the 3. Always get the duelund caps as they are worth it.

DSD is by USB only (DoP) and is chipless. Best DSD I have heard and I have heard Mytek, MPD5 and EMMLabs Dac 2x. LP Filter cant be beat. Enuff said.

Only 2 distributors on the East coast, but they go to most shows. Will be in Axpona and RMAF for sure. I know they are thinking of demo trials for the West Coast….

There are at least 200 units in the US.

PM me with your tel number to chat if you like. I am in Switzerland though...

Mark - I agree and am very tempted. It looks really good, and for at least a few hours I was decided to go that way. But I also keep hearing about the 'musicality' of the Lampi in a way I don't hear about any other dac except at 2-3x the price and am intrigued. New PSAudio DSD also interesting, and per the other thread can be ethernetted via Bridge :).

Mark - I agree and am very tempted. It looks really good, and for at least a few hours I was decided to go that way. But I also keep hearing about the 'musicality' of the Lampi in a way I don't hear about any other dac except at 2-3x the price and am intrigued. New PSAudio DSD also interesting, and per the other thread can be ethernetted via Bridge :).

It really is a tough decision, and since we can't personally test them all in our systems, ultimately maybe an impossible one to get right in a definitive way. As someone above said, all of these 'nice' dacs sound pretty good, so its probably hard to make a really bad decision.

I'm considering a 4/4 w/DSD, though it is above what I wanted to spend. Other than Lampi considering Chord+linearpsu+AP2wPower, Hex, PDX, or Vega. That said, I can't figure out a bunch of questions.

1) to switch between inputs do you need to use a physical switch on the back? I cant easily reach the back of my system. I wonder if the switch could be put on the side near the front (somewhat acceptable), or could be made switche-able via remote (great)?

2) The DSD module comes with the USB module. Does this have a RAM buffer, or do you only get that with the USB Transport?

3) Along those lines, how good is the USB module (not USB transport) compared to an Audiophilleo 2 w/PP? Another way of saying this is, if I added an AP2/wpp would it sound better or worse or the same?

4) Then there is the USB Transport. I've read that it comes with optional i2S connectors. Does the DAC have optional i2S inputs? Otherwise it would be hard to use :).

5) Using the USB Transport, can you do DSD? (I ask because it seems DSD can only come through the DSD module, which can only be fed from USB, or so it seems.) The output of the USB Transport is SPDIF, and I thought the DSD module can't take SPDIF input, but I have no idea if this is true.

6) If there is i2S between USB Transport and DAC, can DSD be sent to the USB Transport?

7) Okay, this is a wider more open question. So I've kept up on the Mytek thread and all they've gone through to get the drivers and computer connection correct. I'm a little worried about the USB Transport and whether Lampi as a company can properly manage that aspect. I want to send it JRiver signals at various bit and kHz levels with things like 'control/lock the device' (can't remember exact phrase), and don't want to find that there are all kinds of issues, and only one or two versions of settings combinations can be used without problems.

In the same way he teamed up a bit with Squeezebox, I almost think that the AP2/wpp may be a better way to go, heck it can take 384 or DSD 128 right now. And I've got to believe that while the Lampi guy may be king of tubes and power and DSD/PCM itself, the fact is that IT is a whole other category. I think that AP as a company will better be able to manage all of the computer issues. Then, it outputs a reasonable expected stream to the Lampi.

8) If I did use an AP2/wpp and sent it DSD, will it send DSD to the Lampi a way that it can read it (again, if DSD doesn't come in via USB maybe it can't do it?)? This would destroy my AP2/wpp + Lampi 4/4 idea.

9) At some point we have to get some reviews of 3 vs 4 and how much you loose. I think the 3 with no mods and made efficiently could be a huge seller in the US if they sent a bunch to the fledgling dealer network they are setting up. The 4 really is quite expensive regardless of how good it is. I do have the funds, but lets not pretend this isn't a ton of dough. I wonder if 3 + USB transporter sounds better than 4, for example? (Though the idea of getting the 4, and maybe even a year or two later, getting the transporter seems like a good upgrade path.)

Basically I'm trying to figure out how this would work in my system before buying stuff. Also, it may be that it is slightly too manual for my system. I don't mind 'manual' switching, but my family requires the use of a Logitech remote or else everyone else in the family gets really mad and can't remember how to do anything. Its one of the trade-offs they've agreed to in order to have Maggie 3.6s in the living room.

Great questions all. I would email Lukas directly for answers. I was told the USB transport does not transmit DSD.

I too am intrigued by the Auralic Aries. I have been waiting for that device since 2006 being an incorrigible WiFi streamer. If it can effectively upsample to DSD 128, hook it up to the Lampi DSD dac and winner winner chicken dinner. The PS Audio device also appears innovative and is worth hearing IMO.

I did and he answered first email, then not sure if he is traveling or if I had too many questions, but haven't heard back from him for a while, and also I realized if I was confused others might be as well, so could be good to have a thread and figure out how it works exactly. I think I scoured almost everything on the net in English and couldn't figure some of these things out.

Wisnon - thanks. So I wouldn't want the USB Transporter, at least not for now as I intend to do DSD, and the implications of what you are saying - DSD via USB only mean that you can't use an AP2/pp either. As long as his USB input is great, that isn't a problem, I just want to make sure I understand. And it takes it via DoP so JRiver should work just fine.

Not sure if there is a RAM buffer in there, I know there is with the USB transporter. If there is, I assume the device is immune to any/all USB cable changes and jitter. If it isn't, then the USB cable selection may matter. At the least, I assume it takes no power and I can get one with the power channel removed. Depending on the buffering he does that will also tell me whether or not is is worth dealing with a SOTM USB card.

Do you know if there is galvanic isolation, or does noise get from the USB deeper into his system? That would be one reason to use the SOTM USB card, to eliminate some of that.

Regarding the switching - so I'd have to convince him to make a new option called 'remote switching - no volume' because I definitely don't want the pre and don't want to pay for it. I have a Supratek, and want to keep using it. And I don't need a remote, we would just need to get the codes into the Logitech remote database.

That said, for other people, I assume his pre is essentially a class A triode SE setup or similar and probably would work for lots of people as a top-end pre, but as I already have one I'll just stick with it. And it can probably work well at 50% output or 30%, most of the digital pre's, which much better than 3 yrs ago, are only really good when near full throttle output.

Wisnon - thanks. So I wouldn't want the USB Transporter, at least not for now as I intend to do DSD, and the implications of what you are saying - DSD via USB only mean that you can't use an AP2/pp either. As long as his USB input is great, that isn't a problem, I just want to make sure I understand. And it takes it via DoP so JRiver should work just fine.

Not sure if there is a RAM buffer in there, I know there is with the USB transporter. If there is, I assume the device is immune to any/all USB cable changes and jitter. If it isn't, then the USB cable selection may matter. At the least, I assume it takes no power and I can get one with the power channel removed. Depending on the buffering he does that will also tell me whether or not is is worth dealing with a SOTM USB card.

Do you know if there is galvanic isolation, or does noise get from the USB deeper into his system? That would be one reason to use the SOTM USB card, to eliminate some of that.

Havent tested if cable matters for DSD. LP Filter DSD is sooooo good, I really have not been motivated to do so. It is galvanically isolated and self powered by his terrific power supply design. Not sure if it needs a handshake though. I dont think so. He uses an Amanero USB input that auto sense between DSD and PCM and all sample rates of each. DSD and PCM travel different paths within the Dac, which is optimized for both. If you need fully Balanced operation (he does not do pseudo balanced like a lot of others) with DSD and Volume control, you will need to get a L5 for space consideration. The AP2/PP would be for PCM input from a computer

Dont know if there is a RAM buffer in the setup.

I find a lot of the question are based on marketing buzz words that I used to buy into as well. However, after personal experience and talking to several high and designers offline, I am beginning to realize what matters and that you need to hear some of this stuff for yourself.

What I can say is that the Lampi is very musical while keeping details, is very tonally correct and is the result of passionate dedication to a sonic goal. Lampi DSD is just the best to me, a steal for the price.

Regarding the switching - so I'd have to convince him to make a new option called 'remote switching - no volume' because I definitely don't want the pre and don't want to pay for it. I have a Supratek, and want to keep using it. And I don't need a remote, we would just need to get the codes into the Logitech remote database.

That said, for other people, I assume his pre is essentially a class A triode SE setup or similar and probably would work for lots of people as a top-end pre, but as I already have one I'll just stick with it. And it can probably work well at 50% output or 30%, most of the digital pre's, which much better than 3 yrs ago, are only really good when near full throttle output.

It an analog tube pre and I think its tied to the stepped ladder attenuator.

I dont have one, so cant comment too much there. Neither of my Lampis have VC. I am sure he can place the toggle switches under the front of the chassis if you need to have it there. You would only need it for switching input sources, i.e. USB vs RCA vs XLR.

The Lampi is one of the most "different" sounding Dacs and it will be apparent when you hear it.

Great questions all. I would email Lukas directly for answers. I was told the USB transport does not transmit DSD.

I too am intrigued by the Auralic Aries. I have been waiting for that device since 2006 being an incorrigible WiFi streamer. If it can effectively upsample to DSD 128, hook it up to the Lampi DSD dac and winner winner chicken dinner. The PS Audio device also appears innovative and is worth hearing IMO.

Yes the Transport does NOT do DSD. DSD is chipless and only by USB.

I agree the Aries looks to be intriguing for its versatility and interesting price. Chicken dinner indeed.

Kdavis only does DSD, even with PCM material, as he up samples all via JRiver and so uses only the Lampi DSD-Only Dac.

My lampi L4/G4 has volume control and all switching is from the remote and with no hiccup. Also, I have usb input and feel no need for a spdif converter, so you can save money there. IMO, the dac sounds truly wonderful and mine has an analog input so I use it as my primary preamp too.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I own a Vega, it goes into a Coincident speaker Tech Starement Linestage, I like it a lot, it doesn't sound as good going straight to my TRL Samson's

I also own a Lampizator Big 5 I like it a lot more, it goes straight into the Sampsons

I'm in the Midwest, I've had three differs guys over they all liked the Lampi better but like I said I really like the Vega, that said I may be selling the Vega soon, add to that retirement plan, 401k so it can go down crapper

Fridays

I owned the Vega, super convenient and energetic. Was phenomenal when running through a tube preamp (a modded Audio Research LS5 Mk2 re-tubed) - made the sound a little more organic and natural. However the Lampizator I have is in a materially better category. It's a Big 6 + DSD. Have compared at length the USB input of the DAC versus using BNC via an OffRamp5 (with all the latest upgrades and Paul Hynes stuff). Upper end extension is a little bit better with the OR5 (powered by RedWineAudio Black Lightning battery), but I actually like the overall presentation of the DAC's USB input directly, a little more relaxed sounding. Also, switching between DSD and PCM obviously a lot easier when using using a media server when the USB input is used for both. I've churned through a bunch of good quality DAC's, but the Lampi is my favorite DAC. The DSD is quite special with the DAC - have no idea how the "chipless" approach works, but the sound is very nice. Upgrading to what I'd best refer to as a "Big 7 + DSD" which is in production (Level 7 one box solution like the Big 6 instead of 2 aluminum enclosures - shorter signal path, better grounding, wood enclosure which were personal preferences). It may still not be vinyl, but really great for digital :)