IGNORED

Lampizator questions

They are not...the FB page just says it will play the Tidal MQA Stream.

To get the last bit, it means the manufacturer will have to submit their (often proprietary) filter tech to Meridian for it to be "corrected". This means that most will feel that Meridian will mess up their optimal filter design that is likely already optimized for the vast majority of RBCD playback.

To me the software unfolding is good enough.

In other words: "Keep you stanking hands off of our Lampis, Bob Stuart - in Lukasz we trust." [emoji445]?[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

There should be TWO second parts, ie 3 things done. 1)unfolding 2)Filter correction....both constitute the MQ part.

The A part is 3) Auntentication. This is the digital signature represnting the verification the artists signed off on this "remix".

Right. The MQA capable DACs can to it all. The software decoders - Tidal , Audirvana and soon to be Room - only do the "unfolding".

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Right. The MQA capable DACs can to it all. The software decoders - Tidal , Audirvana and soon to be Room - only do the "unfolding".

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Yes and MQA is a minor format at the moment, makes DSD look prodigious in comparison. LoL

If I were crazy for MQA, I would keep my dac and get a $300 Explorer 2 to take advantage of MQA on the cheap.

With the level 4 gen4/5 I'm getting a fairly substantial click at the beginning and end of each file (album) but not between tracks using audiovarna, this has not been a problem with other dacs. Anyone else noticed this? Is there a cure or is it a feature?

Hello, my Level 4 Gen 5 unit also gives a "pop" sound from the speakers when I

- Play first track when the Lampi is turned on

- Pressing the button to switch from DSD to PCM and vice versa.

I'm currently using a Antipodes music server and I do not have such a problem with my Bricasti DAC.

I wrote to Lampi and the reply was that it has been "solved" and that was it! No email after reminders.

Can someone advise me? (I have since switched back to Bricasti; if there is no solution, I will sell away the Lampi).

Hello, my Level 4 Gen 5 unit also gives a "pop" sound from the speakers when I

- Play first track when the Lampi is turned on

- Pressing the button to switch from DSD to PCM and vice versa.

I'm currently using a Antipodes music server and I do not have such a problem with my Bricasti DAC.

I wrote to Lampi and the reply was that it has been "solved" and that was it! No email after reminders.

Can someone advise me? (I have since switched back to Bricasti; if there is no solution, I will sell away the Lampi).

Just got a reply from Lukasz - He was recovering from an accident and hence the delay. I will send the unit back to Poland and will also consider some upgrades. Can't wait for something so good to get even better.

• 1 month later...

I received the unit back with a new board with auto-switch and an upgrade to remove the "pop".

What I immediately noticed was:

(1) The "popping" persists with playback of a DSD file from another DSD file. No "popping" was observed for a playback of a DSD file from a PCM file.

(2) The auto-switch works so there is no need for me to press the front button to switch between DSD/PCM files.

(3) Audible high pitch ringing emerging from the speakers - This was not present before the upgrade!

(4) I noticed that some of the test items in the Report were actually out of specification - Does that mean that the upgraded Lampi should not be shipped out at all?

Actually I have recorded all these down on video. I'm still waiting for an email reply from Lukasz since last Monday (27 Jan). Hopefully he can offer me some advice here.

Do you guys face similar issues? Thanks.

Whether you get/need the pre-amp module will depend on whether you might want want other sources, obviously. But if you mean should you get the VC module, I can tell you that I found the VC module better sounding than a £10K pre-amp I had.

Philip

Whether you get/need the pre-amp module will depend on whether you might want want other sources, obviously. But if you mean should you get the VC module, I can tell you that I found the VC module better sounding than a £10K pre-amp I had.

Philip

What preamp was it you had before?

What power amps do you have?

It looks as if the output impedance of the Lampi has to match the input impedance of the power amp...

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846

I'm about to get my vintage Big 7 upgraded.  Ever since I've started up sampling  with HQplayer I have never, literally never, switched the toggle back to PCM. I'm using microRendu, and an Uptoned Audio Mac Mini and Roon.  Obviously I'm getting the 512 DSD, but I guess I could save some money and skip the PCM R2R upgrade? Any other upgrades I should have? 

Also my current mac mini set up will not do 512 DSD. I could repurpose my windows gaming VR rig to do the 512 processing but would have to use something other than the microRendu correct? Or just USB to my dac? Its going to be a lot of effort besides simply upgrading the DSD engine. Will the all the changes to get to 512 DSD be worth it? 

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions?

2 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

I'm about to get my vintage Big 7 upgraded.  Ever since I've started up sampling  with HQplayer I have never, literally never, switched the toggle back to PCM. I'm using microRendu, and an Uptoned Audio Mac Mini and Roon.  Obviously I'm getting the 512 DSD, but I guess I could save some money and skip the PCM R2R upgrade? Any other upgrades I should have? 

Also my current mac mini set up will not do 512 DSD. I could repurpose my windows gaming VR rig to do the 512 processing but would have to use something other than the microRendu correct? Or just USB to my dac? Its going to be a lot of effort besides simply upgrading the DSD engine. Will the all the changes to get to 512 DSD be worth it? 

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions?

Skip the R2R and buy an Adnaco Fiber to USB converter (S3B) for your PC.  The card goes in the PC and then you connect the card via fiber to a little USB box (that comes with the S3B) that looks a lot like the Microrendu.  This box you power from an Ultracap LPS-1 (Uptone Audio).  We use this with an IFI Black label DAC which then receives its power from the Adnaco (or from a second LPS-1 if you use a split data/power USB cable). This completely isolates the DAC from the noise in the PC...and also provides the DAC with clean power.  You will be at the mercy of the LAMPI power supply to power the DAC, but you could still isolate the DAC from the PC this way. Several of us are doing this for DSD512 and the results are stunning...once you hear DSD512 this way (upsampled from Redbook to DSD256) your world will never be the same...I'm serious. I still can't believe the leap from DSD256 to 512...way bigger than the leap from DSD128 to 256.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I've just had my L4G5 updated to 512DSD (previously 128DSD) and setup a windows 10 NAA to enable playback of HQPlayer up-sampled 512DSD content.

Prior to the upgrade I up-sampled everything to 128DSD with HQPlayer sent to MicroRendu/LPS-1.

I'm still trying to optimize the windows NAA but so far the MicroRendu/LPS-1 (Dop-DSD128) sounds so much better than 256/512 DSD with the windows NAA.

I'm certain the problem lies with the windows NAA not being as optimized as the MicroRendu/LPS-1 and after a couple of days of faffing around trying to streamline Win10 services etc, I doubt my Win10 NAA will match the MicroRendu/LPS-1 as an endpoint. 

I hope Amenero come up with a Linux solution so I can use the DSD 512 capability with the MicroRendu/LPS-1.

14 minutes ago, denniswaugh said:

I've just had my L4G5 updated to 512DSD (previously 128DSD) and setup a windows 10 NAA to enable playback of HQPlayer up-sampled 512DSD content.

Prior to the upgrade I up-sampled everything to 128DSD with HQPlayer sent to MicroRendu/LPS-1.

I'm still trying to optimize the windows NAA but so far the MicroRendu/LPS-1 (Dop-DSD128) sounds so much better than 256/512 DSD with the windows NAA.

I'm certain the problem lies with the windows NAA not being as optimized as the MicroRendu/LPS-1 and after a couple of days of faffing around trying to streamline Win10 services etc, I doubt my Win10 NAA will match the MicroRendu/LPS-1 as an endpoint. 

I hope Amenero come up with a Linux solution so I can use the DSD 512 capability with the MicroRendu/LPS-1.

I have a similar experience, before microRendu+LPS1 I was upsampling everything to DSD256 using a fanless highly optimized Win10 NAA, Intona Isolator, Regen, LAN filters, good power, nice USB cables etc etc... Still the microRendu at DSD128 was an improvement to me. I really want to see Amanero with proper Linux support as I don't see my microRendu going anywhere right now or in the nearest future....

21 minutes ago, rikard said:

I have a similar experience, before microRendu+LPS1 I was upsampling everything to DSD256 using a fanless highly optimized Win10 NAA, Intona Isolator, Regen, LAN filters, good power, nice USB cables etc etc... Still the microRendu at DSD128 was an improvement to me. I really want to see Amanero with proper Linux support as I don't see my microRendu going anywhere right now or in the nearest future....

I had a battery suplied  dedicated server playing DSD 512 and compared to MicroRendu + Sonore LPS feeding my Big7 with latest DSD board.

MicroRendu was clearly better. More organic, more body , more emotion.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

I don't know if this is the correct thread to mention this but has anyone flashed the Amenero firmware as mentioned here: https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12 and listening to 256/512DSD.

The above thread has been running for over a year but appears to have stalled.

I'd like to know what needs to be done to enable 256/512 DSD playback through MicroRendu. 

Perhaps Sonore could throw some light on the issue.

6 minutes ago, denniswaugh said:

I don't know if this is the correct thread to mention this but has anyone flashed the Amenero firmware as mentioned here: https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12 and listening to 256/512DSD.

The above thread has been running for over a year but appears to have stalled.

I'd like to know what needs to be done to enable 256/512 DSD playback through MicroRendu. 

Perhaps Sonore could throw some light on the issue.

+1!

On 07/03/2017 at 10:54 PM, shsoh said:

I received the unit back with a new board with auto-switch and an upgrade to remove the "pop".

What I immediately noticed was:

(1) The "popping" persists with playback of a DSD file from another DSD file. No "popping" was observed for a playback of a DSD file from a PCM file.

(2) The auto-switch works so there is no need for me to press the front button to switch between DSD/PCM files.

(3) Audible high pitch ringing emerging from the speakers - This was not present before the upgrade!

(4) I noticed that some of the test items in the Report were actually out of specification - Does that mean that the upgraded Lampi should not be shipped out at all?

Actually I have recorded all these down on video. I'm still waiting for an email reply from Lukasz since last Monday (27 Jan). Hopefully he can offer me some advice here.

Do you guys face similar issues? Thanks.

Still no helpful insight from Lampi. Now I switch back to XLR and there is no more hissing / ringing. As for the rest of the issues, still unresolved with no instruction of sending the unit back for a check. I'm most worried about the "popping" sound which might damage my speakers. I'll try to post the video in Youtube.