IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

6 hours ago, One and a half said:

Well, the Lumin app on Android took 5 minutes to update from Sept 14th until today. So why can't iOS version do the same?

Please make sure you have different SSID (name) for 5GHz and 2.4GHz in the router - if not, change them.  Reboot the iOS device.  Change the iOS to connect to the 5GHz SSID and see if it works well.  If not, try the 2.4GHz instead.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

11 hours ago, wklie said:

Please make sure you have different SSID (name) for 5GHz and 2.4GHz in the router - if not, change them.  Reboot the iOS device.  Change the iOS to connect to the 5GHz SSID and see if it works well.  If not, try the 2.4GHz instead.

Thanks for the tip, however not so simple to solve.

The mesh router is a Deco operating as an Access Point only, since routing is controlled by an Asus RT-AC87U, with WLAN switched off.

SSID is a single name only, the router/device decides which frequency to lock on to. The iPad according to the Deco is set for the 5GHz spectrum, the iPad setting doesn't specify from the settings panel how to change.

There's no setting to switch in either the Deco or the iPad to 2.4 or 5.0 GHz, is automatically set for highest frequency.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

According to the 'About', it's a iPad Pro 10.5in, 14.7.1 software, MQDT2X/A model.

I’m using a 5th gen. ipad, 2017, that is less powerful than yours.

As I reported last July 26th in this same topic

the update library task takes more or less 8 minutes and my library is quite big, 12k albums, this result seems quite in line with the performance of your android device.

Is your library much larger?

Stefano

My audio system

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @wklie something is up the the bit depth on this one :~)

6CB3D960-3945-442E-9E8B-925F02453395.jpeg

That metadata is passed from the OpenHome renderer.  What are you using?  If it is a Lumin hardware, please tell me the Lumin model and firmware version, and the file format (WAV, FLAC, etc.)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

6 hours ago, One and a half said:

The mesh router is a Deco operating as an Access Point only, since routing is controlled by an Asus RT-AC87U, with WLAN switched off.

SSID is a single name only, the router/device decides which frequency to lock on to. The iPad according to the Deco is set for the 5GHz spectrum, the iPad setting doesn't specify from the settings panel how to change.

There's no setting to switch in either the Deco or the iPad to 2.4 or 5.0 GHz, is automatically set for highest frequency.

Your Deco can have 2.4GHz or 5GHz band individually turned off.  For experimental purpose, please disable either of them, and see which works better with the iPad Pro for the library update time.

I discussed your case with our support staff, we think the longer-than-expected (~8700 album) library update time is a WiFi issue between the WiFi and your iOS device.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

I’m using a 5th gen. ipad, 2017, that is less powerful than yours.

As I reported last July 26th in this same topic

the update library task takes more or less 8 minutes and my library is quite big, 12k albums, this result seems quite in line with the performance of your android device.

Is your library much larger?

Not larger, far from it 13,600 tracks in 8400 albums, all are FLAC or DSD.

1 hour ago, wklie said:

Your Deco can have 2.4GHz or 5GHz band individually turned off.  For experimental purpose, please disable either of them, and see which works better with the iPad Pro for the library update time.

I discussed your case with our support staff, we think the longer-than-expected (~8700 album) library update time is a WiFi issue between the WiFi and your iOS device.

OK, since the iPad was connected to the 5GHz channels, that was switched off. One of the Deco is about 4m away from the iPad in the lounge, line of sight. The library update now takes the same time as for Android, 7 minutes compared to the 20 plus before.  

I will have to observe how the change affects other devices, notably two laptops, one of which belongs to the better half, video streaming is that main duty. We'll see how that pans out.

As a workaround, a new Access point with different SSID and only for 2.4 GHz for the iPad. The Asus router still does the same job and all devices are connected to the same network. I do have a spare Deco, but it can't have a separate SSID unless it becomes a standalone router, which will conflict with the Asus, and Deco are not great at routing, but good access points. An alternative is to activate the 2.4 GHz WLAN in the Asus on a separate SSID, but the distance is some 20m through floors and several walls, let's see how that works out.

46 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

🤣 … 

could it be the case that your ipad is receiving a weak wifi signal?

As @wklie advised, the setting to a 2.4 GHz SSID worked better to shorten the update time. I left the Mesh Decos at both 2.4 and 5 GHz on, and activated the main Asus router 2.4 GHz on a different SSID. That signal strength is about 1/2 of the mesh, but for the purpose of a controller in the Lumin App, is more than adequate. I've added the iPad MAC address on the Asus router's filter to allow it, all others are blocked.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

As @wklie advised, the setting to a 2.4 GHz SSID worked better to shorten the update time.

To clarify, I suspected (with good reasons) one of the WiFi bands is not working well for your iPad Pro in your setup, but in this case it is an anomaly not a normal case, as generally 5GHz 802.11ac should be much better than 2.4GHz in a direct line of sight at close distance.

I recall there were multiple cases where users have both iPhone and iPad, and they have vastly different WiFi behaviors.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

9 hours ago, wklie said:

To clarify, I suspected (with good reasons) one of the WiFi bands is not working well for your iPad Pro in your setup, but in this case it is an anomaly not a normal case, as generally 5GHz 802.11ac should be much better than 2.4GHz in a direct line of sight at close distance.

I recall there were multiple cases where users have both iPhone and iPad, and they have vastly different WiFi behaviors.

😀 so much for the Apple protected closed shoppe, not all members are created equal. 

Today, added another three albums, and took about 5 minutes of the spinning circle and library was updated. This is after a rescan using Minimmwatch. Thanks for the solution, was close to making the U1 obsolete, with no 'decent' software to use with it.

Lumin P1 comments

This is a really neat concept,  if I were a fresh audiophile, this one device is the right ticket. 

For the phono, an external riaa eq is best anyway, much to match with carts and cables anyway.

Curious to see the HDMI connectors, but could imagine the P1 used as a video switch to allow the TV to render? 

Audio can be routed back for amplification.

Great to see XLR outs, but wonder if there's an industry move towards the 3.5mm connections with some kind of locking mechanism, or the connectors on balanced HP amps.

What level is the P1 at, X1 U1....? Is the fibre ready for a variety of connections,  is there a choice of what can be delivered as an option for the connector?

The P1 is taller than the classic lines we are used to, matching the AMP is the idea? Good to see the dust shelf, overhang is still there, but not as deep.

2 hours ago, audiopacer said:

Hello all; was wondering who has compared native U1 power supply to U1 with X1 upgraded supply; Curious if the results would be more detail, brighter tone, etc. DAC will be Chord DAVE;

Thanks

I own the two, and the X1 PSU made an immediate positive impact. Main quality is a blacker background,  so noise is knocked further down allowing the dynamics to be improved. I noted the improvements immediately.  

Definitely a no brainer choice, albeit wallet unfriendly though. 

I don't own a DAVE, so cannot comment there, but very noticeable on Accuphase DC-950 DAC.

On 9/11/2020 at 5:07 AM, BlueSkyy said:

I am hoping at some point that Lumin comes out with a 10GbE interface.................. just because I would like to keep the infrastructure all running at the same speed......

Still, no one has commented on whether or not expensive fuses in Lumin equipment are worth the while.  Is it a taboo subject or nobody has tried because it may negate the warranty?

I just replaced the fuse on my linear power supply powering my U1 mini. It is hard to believe a fuse change can make that much of a difference.

I bet many people would reconsider upgrading their components if they just had replaced the fuse first. 

I wish I had known about it earlier.

I am using an SR orange fuse.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

Good to know.  Before I sold my X1 I was contemplating trying a fuse upgrade.  I had agonized about that prospect for several years and, unfortunately, the education I received in electronics engineering convinced my I was being foolish and it won out and I didn't try it.  As an aside, one of the finest speaker system I ever listened to was the Dunlavy SC-IV when I was invited to the builder's premises in Colorado.  Magnificent sounding speakers and they were driven by some very fine Boulder mono amps.  I asked John Dunlavy what speaker cables he was using and he said some 14AWG lamp zip cord.  Go figure!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂