IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

4 hours ago, keeper said:

So are these all stored in the same location?

Thats a single point of failure.

I have main library on a NAS, backed up to another drive in the same NAS, and also backed up to a separate NAS, but then backed up to a cloud using idrive to ensure I have a completely offsite incremental back up to cover, theft, fire , flood etc.

Same physical address only one of the NAS and associated USB hard drives is in a fire resistant (1200 degrees F for 45 minutes) and waterproof Ft. Knox gun safe plumbed with Ethernet and fed with an APC UPS.  I don't have enough faith in the security of the cloud to put anything up there but, in time, that may change for me.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

4 hours ago, keeper said:

@rodrigaj Ah I’m in the UK and my upload speed is about 20 mbps and 80 mbps download. Just left it running on the NAS for a few days.

>300 Mbps download here but can only get about 10Mbps upload.  The ~10Mbps upload must be something unique to my ISP but it's always been low compared to the every increasing download speed they "offer" free of charge.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

The price of GBP28 is reasonable, which drops to GBP10 for the next year which is a nice bonus. 

So you have already determined the MinimServer V2 Free edition lacks one or more feature you need from a paid Full version?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

27 minutes ago, wklie said:

So you have already determined the MinimServer V2 Free edition lacks one or more feature you need from a paid Full version?

I don't think it matters either way now. For a little while Minimwatch was working fine, then stopped. Firewall rules haven't changed, Minimserver is still running. Sick of debugging, honeymoon's over. Deleting minimX, had enough. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

I don't think it matters either way now. For a little while Minimwatch was working fine, then stopped. Firewall rules haven't changed, Minimserver is still running. Sick of debugging, honeymoon's over. Deleting minimX, had enough. 

Why don’t you ask Simon here?

https://forum.minimserver.com
Simon is always very fast and effective in troubleshooting and helping to find a solution to any issue, I can say his success is around 99% (!!!)

Unfortunately Windows is an OS full of “idiosyncrasies”, but the problem is Windows and not Minimserver

… after all minimserver is the best available upnp server

Stefano

My audio system

2 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Why don’t you ask Simon here?

https://forum.minimserver.com
Simon is always very fast and effective in troubleshooting and helping to find a solution to any issue, I can say his success is around 99% (!!!)

Unfortunately Windows is an OS full of “idiosyncrasies”, but the problem is Windows and not Minimserver

… after all minimserver is the best available upnp server

I didn't delete just yet, minimwatch stays on for 10 minutes then off for about the same. The server appeared in VLC then vanished on vlc restart never to be seen again,  this now involves 3 PCs. Very unreliable. Same with streaming video over lan to TV, it works-sometimes,  but given up on that and run videos from Mac Mini to TV. Works everytime.

It's not fun any more to put up with this from either Microsoft/Java/MinimX. No wonder Roon canned upnp,  but their philosophy now I don't like and alternatives are just as bad.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:23 AM, wklie said:

Are you running MinimServer V2?

Is the Rescan triggered from Lumin app, or is the Rescan triggered by a non-Lumin means such as MinimWatch?

Sorry for the late reply...

I am running MinimServer 2.0.18 update 193 

Rescan is triggered by Lumin app.

Lumin app running on Macbook air doesn't have the issue.

29 minutes ago, wildsam said:

Just tried on iPad 5th gen iPadOS 14.6, Lumïn app 7.0.4 and Minimserver 2.0.18/193 : rescan successful and no crash on iPad.

Does the crash happen

- as soon as you launch the rescan

or does it happen

- if you launch the rescan, close the app and try to open again the app before the rescan ended?

Stefano

My audio system

46 minutes ago, wildsam said:

In the next iOS version we hope to fix a MinimServer V2 Rescan trigger bug in Lumin app.  It is already fixed in Lumin Android app 4.0.2.

Please use MinimWatch for issuing Rescan to MinimServer V2 for now, if you don't have an Android device running Lumin app.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

9 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

I fully agree and can confirm this. In the beginning I had some issues (lack of own knowlrdge). He gave an instruction to run some programs and make a screenprint with the data. Next day he was back with some hints. Actually he informed on some changes that has to be made in Mp3Tag to get rid of the issue I had with some older files. Since that day I have not had a single hick-up with Minimserver on Windows 10. Same thing with Minimserver 2 (std version) which I run in Synology (Linux). It seems it is a perfect match for Lumïn.

@Ropet and @stefano_mbp , Minimwatch is working now 100% when Minimserver is working AND fuc$ing Roon is shutdown. Yes, as soon as Roon was off, Minimwatch snapped to green and never looked back.

For Lumin App remote, using a superseded iPhone 8 +. For 8400 albums took about 5 -10 mins to index and could start playing after that. The DAC needed to be power cycled to flush the previous occupation by Roon.

Still getting used to the sound, but the system has only been switched on two hours after 3 weeks of being off, so will leave the system on overnight and try again in the morning, which usually brings back good SQ. Even out of the box, so to speak, there's a little more height to the image.

The Lumin app is easy to use, a few quirks, but no deal breaker.  So far so good 🎹

24 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Still getting used to the sound, but the system has only been switched on two hours after 3 weeks of being off, so will leave the system on overnight and try again in the morning,

Guinness Book of World Records for Lumin power on hours?  I received my X1 back in April of 2019 and it has been powered on running non-stop ever since.  I am afraid to turn it off for fear of destroying the exquisite sound that "she's" obtained with all that heating up and breaking in. The Westminster Labs umbilical has considerably fewer hours on it.  This translates as follows:

818 days, 4 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds can be converted to one of these units:

• 70,689,600 seconds
  • 1,178,160 minutes
  • 19,636 hours
  • 818 days (rounded down)
  • 116 weeks (rounded down)

Hi Peter,

I picked up a 7 channel lexicon GX7 recently with the goal of adding some muscle to both my denon 3600 av receiver and my two channel Cambridge. 

I am currently connected: T2 - cxa81 - lexicon. 

Will this sound better? T2 - lexicon

The reason i ask is.. Its not as simple as  'try it out' for me as all my cables including interconnects run inside a wooden panel with all the amplifiers sitting within the wall mounted wooden cabinets. Any change in connection is a painful task. Will do it if its worth it.

Thanks,

-a

42 minutes ago, LuminProac said:

Hi Peter,

I picked up a 7 channel lexicon GX7 recently with the goal of adding some muscle to both my denon 3600 av receiver and my two channel Cambridge. 

The reason i ask is.. Its not as simple as  'try it out' for me as all my cables including interconnects run inside a wooden panel with all the amplifiers sitting within the wall mounted wooden cabinets. Any change in connection is a painful task. Will do it if its worth it.

Thanks,

-a

So hard to say which is a ‘better’ option. Probably much of a muchness unless there particular qualities of each unit you like or dislike. 

I think it’s worth noting though that the audio quality of the Lumin could really shine with higher quality options than the ones you’ve listed. Obviously this may not be possible, but thought it worth mentioning as a 15 year old multi-channel Lexicon seems like a sideways step more than an upgrade?!

55 minutes ago, Mikk said:

So hard to say which is a ‘better’ option. Probably much of a muchness unless there particular qualities of each unit you like or dislike. 

I think it’s worth noting though that the audio quality of the Lumin could really shine with higher quality options than the ones you’ve listed. Obviously this may not be possible, but thought it worth mentioning as a 15 year old multi-channel Lexicon seems like a sideways step more than an upgrade?!

Thanks. However, I did a home demo of lexicon for a week paired with t2 before getting it for a very fair price. 

My question was.. Do I connect lumin directly or through the cxa81 considering the analog audio output level of lumin goes through the preamp's volume on cxa81 and then connects to lexicon in one case and  directly to lexicon in another. In theory the latter should be a better option?

2 hours ago, LuminProac said:

Thanks. However, I did a home demo of lexicon for a week paired with t2 before getting it for a very fair price. 

My question was.. Do I connect lumin directly or through the cxa81 considering the analog audio output level of lumin goes through the preamp's volume on cxa81 and then connects to lexicon in one case and  directly to lexicon in another. In theory the latter should be a better option?

I have CXA81 and lumin U1MINI. Did u like the DAC of CXA81?

1 hour ago, nikolaos1969 said:

I have CXA81 and lumin U1MINI. Did u like the DAC of CXA81?

Oh yes. Its a really good dac as I am able to compare it with T2. It doesn't do mqa. But that doesn't matter. Most dac implementations in integrateds are a after thought. This one isn't. 

6 hours ago, LuminProac said:

If I understand correctly, you're using the preamp section of the CXA81 in the first configuration, with pre-out to the Lexicon power amp, and you prefer this setup to using both the pre and power amp sections of CXA81.

If you don't need other inputs (such as Denon pre-out), and are comfortable with app-based volume control, a direct connection from T2 will give you more transparency.  Please turn down Lumin volume before you begin music playback this way.

However, if you do this I fail to see how you can use the Denon to utilize the Lexicon power amp for the front speakers, or there is something with your setup that I misunderstand.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead