IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 7/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, wklie said:

A new beta firmware for Tidal Connect for Lumin X1 / T2 / U1 / U1 MINI have been sent, with a few Tidal Connect bug fixes, and Roon RAAT playback is changed.

Flashed. Running smooth. In the previous version, tidal app was hogging memory, heating up phone. Didn't report it as I attributed it to tidal and not lumin. Will monitor if that's improved in this version.

That leedh icon on startup is something new or was already there? 

In areas of my house where network gets weak, sometimes I would have connection drops when connected through the lumin, bubble upnp app. But through tidal connect, it stays connected. These are zones where webpages take extra couple of seconds extra to load. Any technical reasons why tidal connect would be superior over casting?

4 hours ago, LuminProac said:

Flashed. Running smooth. In the previous version, tidal app was hogging memory, heating up phone. Didn't report it as I attributed it to tidal and not lumin. Will monitor if that's improved in this version.

That leedh icon on startup is something new or was already there? 

Tidal Connect implementation on Lumin hardware does not affect the Tidal app resource usage on your devices.

The Leedh Processing logo at start up has been there since Firmware 13 (June 2020).

3 hours ago, LuminProac said:

In areas of my house where network gets weak, sometimes I would have connection drops when connected through the lumin, bubble upnp app. But through tidal connect, it stays connected.

I got opposite reports from other beta testers.  With poor WiFi network, or network that does not handle multicast properly, anything can happen.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Seeking Roon replacement 

Getting jack of Roon UX and shortcomings despite a recent build which should have fixes in ages ago.

Looking at reviving the Lumin app , and scratching for a server to run on a Windows 10 LTSC. Is miniseries still the preferred dlna server or is there something else? Admittedly using minimserver few years ago, the update for new albums was a complete refresh which took forever, why it was not used.

I have a Jriver license,  but that seems to push rather than pull.

Open to new ideas, thank you.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

47 minutes ago, One and a half said:

minimserver

Yes, that's still the primary server to be used with Lumin app.  Update should not require a complete refresh.

In addition to JRiver, you may also try Audirvana (via UPnP), but these are not actively tested for compatibility.

When Spotify HiFi launches, Spotify app may be the best alternative.  You may also try Tidal Connect in beta firmware for U1 / T2 / X1.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 hours ago, wklie said:

When Spotify HiFi launches, Spotify app may be the best alternative.  You may also try Tidal Connect in beta firmware for U1 / T2 / X1.

Would Spotify HiFi use local files at all?  Would be nice if it did!

Audirvana is not an option, it doesn't work well with DSD, just plays 3s and hisses after that.

Jriver activates the DAC mute relay after every track, you gave me a suggestion for that, but not as yet to implemented. Need to be home first.

16 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Jriver activates the DAC mute relay after every track, you gave me a suggestion for that, but not as yet to implemented. Need to be home first.

I had the same experience with JRiver and DSD but no issues with PCM. I switched to Minimserver and Mp3Tag (for file maintenance) about 1,5 years ago. Since then I have had no issues not even once. On top of this all tags/folders in Lumïn work as intended. This was not the case when using JRiver.

In my view, JRiver is a very good system when using a laptop/pc as a source with direct connection to a dac. I still use JRiver for ripping and audio analazyse. In my view JRiver is one network solution, Lumïn is another. To use both is like using two preamplifiers at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Ropet said:

I had the same experience with JRiver and DSD but no issues with PCM. I switched to Minimserver and Mp3Tag (for file maintenance) about 1,5 years ago. Since then I have had no issues not even once. On top of this all tags/folders in Lumïn work as intended. This was not the case when using JRiver.

In my view, JRiver is a very good system when using a laptop/pc as a source with direct connection to a dac. I still use JRiver for ripping and audio analazyse. In my view JRiver is one network solution, Lumïn is another. To use both is like using two preamplifiers at the same time.

That's encouraging to use Minimserver for that long, so will revisit. I don't have remote access for the music server only from the LAN, so could let Minimserver start indexing while I'm away and shut Roon down. 

Jriver is best when a local DAC is connected, would agree with this. It's a good tool to check for file metadata problems and bad jpg which can happen, their indexer is very fast. 

56 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I don't have remote access for the music server only from the LAN, so could let Minimserver start indexing

Same for me. First I used a laptop as a file server connected with LAN to Lumïn which worked excellent. Eventually (one year ago) I bought a Synology DS220J NAS + 2x WD Red 4TB. I use this only for my ripped music files or hires downloads (approx 5,000 albums). I feel this is a more safe and secure solution. On top of this I make backups on a separate external HD to be on the safe side. RAID is not a safe back up solution. Ripping, downloading and file maintenance is done on laptop connected to the LAN network. I understand this is also your way and it works flawless.

When I rip or download a new album (to the laptop) I start Mp3Tag and maintain all tags the way I want it like genres, add composer, soloist etc. If the images has too low resolution I fix this as well to minimum 600 pix. This can be done in JRiver as well but I think it is easier and faster in Mp3Tag with a better overview. Once ready I move the file to the music library in Synology. Then I push Minimserver rescanning in the Lumïn app and then Update Music Library and the new album will be put in the different Lumïn tabs.

This is my routine. The worst workload is to fix tags. The standard tags are normally not to my standard. Especially not in classical music. I am very picky to have it into my structure in order to search and find my albums.

I do not use Roon. I see no need for it. I only play my own files or chech out novelties by Qobuz. The best ones I purchase as hires download files (if possible). I want to have controll over my music and make sure they are available not only today but in 10 years as well.

11 hours ago, Ropet said:

Same for me. First I used a laptop as a file server connected with LAN to Lumïn which worked excellent. Eventually (one year ago) I bought a Synology DS220J NAS + 2x WD Red 4TB. I use this only for my ripped music files or hires downloads (approx 5,000 albums). I feel this is a more safe and secure solution. On top of this I make backups on a separate external HD to be on the safe side. RAID is not a safe back up solution. Ripping, downloading and file maintenance is done on laptop connected to the LAN network. I understand this is also your way and it works flawless.

When I rip or download a new album (to the laptop) I start Mp3Tag and maintain all tags the way I want it like genres, add composer, soloist etc. If the images has too low resolution I fix this as well to minimum 600 pix. This can be done in JRiver as well but I think it is easier and faster in Mp3Tag with a better overview. Once ready I move the file to the music library in Synology. Then I push Minimserver rescanning in the Lumïn app and then Update Music Library and the new album will be put in the different Lumïn tabs.

This is my routine. The worst workload is to fix tags. The standard tags are normally not to my standard. Especially not in classical music. I am very picky to have it into my structure in order to search and find my albums.

I do not use Roon. I see no need for it. I only play my own files or chech out novelties by Qobuz. The best ones I purchase as hires download files (if possible). I want to have controll over my music and make sure they are available not only today but in 10 years as well.

Hi, I use qnap 4tb+4tb connected to router--->lumin u1 mini-->CXA81 amp. Minimserver is the best way to search music files. Which amp do you use. Do you use an external dac. I use RAID. Why you are saying is not a safe solution.

Regards 

Nikos 

6 hours ago, nikolaos1969 said:

I use RAID. Why you are saying is not a safe solution.

Regards 

Nikos 

A little off topic here, and expanding on what @Ropet posted, RAID can be broken with:

a) the hardware controller in the NAS may fail

b) the Raid drives are setup to work with that controller that's just failed on you.

The idea is that there needs to be another disk to rebuild any faulty ones. But if the controller is broken, then there's nothing much you can do, other than perhaps change out the cards in the NAS as spares and hope the drives startup correctly.  So RAID has a weakness. The way around this, is to have N+2 music libraries. The main library you always work with, then 2 backups in different locations on different hardware, like 2 portable USB drives, or a USB drive and another computer. 

Thanks for the tip on minimserver.

5 hours ago, One and a half said:

A little off topic here, and expanding on what @Ropet posted, RAID can be broken with:

b) the Raid drives are setup to work with that controller that's just failed on you.

The idea is that there needs to be another disk to rebuild any faulty ones. But if the controller is broken, then there's nothing much you can do, other than perhaps change out the cards in the NAS as spares and hope the drives startup correctly.  So RAID has a weakness. The way around this, is to have N+2 music libraries. The main library you always work with, then 2 backups in different locations on different hardware, like 2 portable USB drives, or a USB drive and another computer. 

6 hours ago, One and a half said:

I would not disagree,  but I must state my experience, Two months ago I was experienced a severe attack on my qnap Server Because I made the mistake To enter the server by distance using qnapcloud. Although for a week I could not work the server finally the controller Worked and the server was back on his job

13 hours ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Hi, I use qnap 4tb+4tb connected to router--->lumin u1 mini-->CXA81 amp. Minimserver is the best way to search music files. Which amp do you use. Do you use an external dac. I use RAID. Why you are saying is not a safe solution.

On the last question, @One and a half expressed my view quite clear. To be a bit more precise on my backups...

When I rip, download and/or maintain my files, I do it locally on a laptop on the network and use an external WD HD before I export the files to my Synology NAS. This means that I have an external HD copy. From this HD I also make a backup and keep it in a safe place. So in fact I have my files in 4 different places; 2 x WD Red in a RAID plus on two external WD HD's. The music files are valuable me to me and I want to feel safe.

On Minimserver I should add that it is Minimserver 2. The ones of you that still use the first version I really urge you to update.

I use two dacs, one Aesthetix Romulus Signature cd/dac and one newly purchased Marantz SA-10 (that is also a SACD player). One is connected from Lumïn U1 Mini with a coax RCA and the other with AES/EBU which can operate in paralell. Unfortunatly it is not possible to do so with USB and s/pdif. So when I play dsd files I can only use USB and disconnect the s/pdif.

All my other electronics are from VTL.

1 hour ago, nikolaos1969 said:

I would not disagree,  but I must state my experience, Two months ago I was experienced a severe attack on my qnap Server Because I made the mistake To enter the server by distance using qnapcloud. Although for a week I could not work the server finally the controller Worked and the server was back on his job

Yes.  For that very reason I do not expose my QNAP NAS to the internet but only do so for the short period of time I need them to synchronize to the NTP server.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

5 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

… in other words … RAID is useful for service continuity and is not an alternative to backup.

The obsessive/compulsive in me requires me to have four (5) copies/backups of my music:  N which is the library itself running on the HTPC (JRiver), N+1 which is the active NAS when I use Minimserver, N+2 which is a USB drive off the N+1 NAS, N+3 which is another NAS, and N+4 which is a USB drive off of N+3 NAS,  Using QNAPs backup capabilities, all the copies are synchronized periodically.

I got burnt once think RAID was as "solid as oak" but never again.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

5 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

obsessive/compulsive

…. it’s a “common disease” … ;-)

I have master copy where I save my rips/downoloads and keep them organized using Yate, this first copy is never used to play music.

I then make two copies (using freefilesync which allow incremental/just modified copies), one is the “copy in operation” managed Minimserver (on a dedicated Nuc8i3/Ubuntu) and the other one is a real offline second backup.

I don’t use nas but just usb or thunderbolt hdd

Stefano

My audio system

10 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

The obsessive/compulsive in me requires me to have four (5) copies/backups of my music:

So are these all stored in the same location?

Thats a single point of failure.

I have main library on a NAS, backed up to another drive in the same NAS, and also backed up to a separate NAS, but then backed up to a cloud using idrive to ensure I have a completely offsite incremental back up to cover, theft, fire , flood etc.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

@keeper:

I would love to have an icloud BUP, but whenever I've looked into it, my upload speeds make the BUP unrealistic. Last I checked, something over one year to complete. My upload speed is 1Mbps. Download is better at 20Mbps. The services that take a hard drive for the initial storage are prohibitively expensive.

How did you manage your first BUP?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

On 7/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, Ropet said:

Ah yes, MP3Tag is a long standing favourite for tagging. I still use it, but TagScanner has fewer keystrokes, if you like to have a look at that program. With some albums, Tagscanner takes ages to find the 'right' album online, maybe this will improve, but nothing beats the manual search at Discogs and entering the r number in MP3Tag. Only some minor adjustments to the genre and the image size and a lot of work is saved. 

For compatibility on portable players on android, the embedded artwork in the file is smaller than 100k, typically 50k. When a larger image is desired, at the time of tagging, there's usually a larger jpg (sometimes MB) to save and that's in the album folder which can be viewed with normal PC picture viewer. 

To highlight the album as hires, I place the Japanese hires audio logo in the bottom RH corner of the cover artwork as a layer with ACDSEE. For .DSF I don't bother, since the title of the album includes SACD already. I used to have the sample rate in the album title, but now just use the generic (Hi-Res) in the album's title when tagging.

Minimserver Installation Tips (Windows)

Well, the trial version of Minimserver 2 is working on the Windows 10 LTSC music server as well Minimwatch on a standard non music machine. When both icons are green, at least there should be a good chance the Lumin app will at least connect.

The instructions for Minimserver only hint at troubleshooting, since the program uses Java, it's not that familiar to me as to which functions does what with different names not helping. This is what put me off using minimserver in the beginning, requires some effort for it to appear on networked devices.

Here's a few tips in case someone else has the same drama, took some time to figure things out, was frustrating at times, especially on a remote connection.

If Minimwatch is grey on a non server, there's a firewall problem.

I had to find out the .exe belonging to Java(TM) Platform SE binary (from the Troubleshooting guide) which on the Minimserver forum website is javaw.exe. Once that was known, I could allow a new rule in Bitdefender AV on the client machine for the program name.

On the Server PC, Windows defender Firewall (no Bitdefender there) was configured to allow the same program.

Once the firewall rules were active, the client PC Minimwatch snapped to green and all functions were available.

With upgraded versions of Java in the future, the runtime version number changes, so the location of javaw.exe also changes. The firewall rules need to be checked to allow for the new location. A non geek user like me shouldn't need to check this, but that's how things work with software, the user has to do all the figuring out why a program doesn't work. 

I'm used to Roon, Jriver, HQPlayer indexing or cataloging the music files, this function was shown on the older V0.8 of Minimserver, showed a progressive counter as to how far the cataloging went but V2 doesn't say anything about that. Just says working, am on the trial version at the moment and registered as such. 

To allow Minimserver to start with Windows, a shortcut was created and added to the Windows Programs startup as this machine is normally not attended.

The price of GBP28 is reasonable, which drops to GBP10 for the next year which is a nice bonus. 

1 hour ago, rodrigaj said:

@keeper:

I would love to have an icloud BUP, but whenever I've looked into it, my upload speeds make the BUP unrealistic. Last I checked, something over one year to complete. My upload speed is 1Mbps. Download is better at 20Mbps. The services that take a hard drive for the initial storage are prohibitively expensive.

How did you manage your first BUP?

I share your issue here, my upload speeds are pathetic. I've seen only a few services companies that could take delivery of a hard drive and copy that to your allocated space. If you live in the same city as the service provider, this makes it simple. Incremental backups are then small, but SACD iso or DSF are large files in the GB, so takes a while anyway. 

If there's a total disaster, I'm not sure how long 10TB+ would take to download.