IGNORED

JRiver Media Center on Mac

jriver

I posted a yes answer over there, but it will most likely get shouted down a bit by all the PC Fanatics. :)

Seriously, JRMC on MacOS would sell mostly to an entirely new audience, since you have pretty well saturated the Windows marketplace. There is not (in my opinion) much choice under Windows - nothing else there really competes with JRMC. (YMMV, etc. etc.)

On MacOS, there is some major competition in terms of sound quality, but the user interface you came up with is unique, so far as I know. The total integration that JRMC has is also unique, I think. So long as JRMC sounded as good, I would expect it to sell well.

As I said on your board, if you were able to add video streaming to ATVs - oh my lordy - that would sell thousands if not tens of thousands of licenses or more - really really fast. Heck- it would sell three new licenses to me alone. I unfortunately, have no idea how difficult that would be to actually do.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I would use it. I've used it on a windows system in the past...for me, it is much better than the apple remote. It would have to play nice with Amarra though....

MPC power cable->2010 Mac Mini->jitterbug>Cardas clear usb cable->Ayre QB-9 DSD dac>kimber hero->passlabs Xp-20 preamp->kimber heros->pass labs X150.8>linn k400 speaker cable->infinity intermezzo 2.6 (with R.A.B.O.S.)->REl G-2 , Amarra as my player

Shunyata triton...Shunyata power cables..

If you keep all features, I will move for sure.

BTW, I have a JR license to my Win through Bootcamp and I didn't vote because I am not registered in JR forum.

Dalton

"Si vous avez compris, vous avez sûrement tort." (Lacan)

Yes I would buy it.

I think many are in the same situation as me: I consider Mac as an excellent hardware in many respects but although I am not fully convinced by iTunes and am missing a JRiver-like solution for Mac OS X, I just intend to stay with Mac.

So if JRiver becomes available for Mac OS X, I will be among the first to buy. I would need two copies.

I very much like JRiver for the sharp audiophile quality, the superb customisation options, the management of large libraries, and last but not least, the excellent JRemote (so much better than the ageing Apple Remote.app).

The only thing that I am missing is the Apple Lossless support, but as it is now an open format, I assume that this could be addressed?

Thanks, js

The only thing that I am missing is the Apple Lossless support, but as it is now an open format, I assume that this could be addressed?

Thanks, js

JRMC seems to play ALAC files without any issues for me... what problem are you having with it?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

JRMC seems to play ALAC files without any issues for me... what problem are you having with it?

-Paul

Paul, I just believed JRMC was not playing ALAC. Obviously I was misinformed, thanks for pointing this out.

js

• 1 month later...

I tried MC with less than satisfying results, sad to say.

- MC14 Amateur hour, added databases to music file storage locations, bad metadata entries, crashes, what a mess.

- MC15 suffered a stroke with a Windows update

- MC16 didn't quite match the SQ from a Mac running iTunes, and temperamental cover art and inexplicable at times metadata entries.

- MC17 sputtered white noise when playing NAS files, and crashed *fairly* regularly and 17 could not better Audirvana + or Amarra in the SQ department. The two MAC players played cleaner music, with noticeably better dynamics.

I will most likely try an OSX version, mainly to see if the older horrors are hopefully gone. What stops me about JRMC is to pay for each newer version as it arrives. I realise software development costs, but surely amortize it over several builds, or give a 90% discount on user licences that are 2 years or more, for example.

I thought the support site that's a forum type system is not all that great, I do prefer the ticket type system, that gets closed when issues are closed. After all that's what you pay for.

I would have thought like other posters more efforts ported to Android, where the remote app controls the PC's database, as it has the horsepower to decode, say DSD, and keep the GUI to a minimum on the PC to enhance sound Quality. Then again it would have to cope with video and pictures, and that's of little interest to Audiophilia.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

This just in from JRiver:

"COMING SOON FOR APPLE

JRiver is porting MC to OSX. Expect an early audio-only version by the end of the year."

Oh man... that is sooo good news *IF* it will feature the convolver (CRITICAL!). That would simplify my use of Audiolense + MH LIO-8 a lot!

#1 Music: AIFF -> WD Caviar Black 2Tb -> OWC Mercury Elite AL-Pro -> Locus Design Polestar -> Mach2 Music server -> OS X 10.6 -> Fidelia -> LAConvolver -> Audiolense FIR filter -> MBS FW800/400 -> Metric Halo LIO-8 -> Vovox sonorus muco S8 -> Supra Sword IXLR -> Bryston 28B-SST2 -> Supra Sword -> Vienna Acoustics Mahler mkII. Accessories: Exact Power EP15 UK, PS Audio Quintet EU, VH Audio Airsine, Furutech FP-3TS20/FI-E35/FI-25/Fi-1363/fuses, Nordost Vishnu/TI pulsar points, Finite Elemente Cerapucs, GIK Acoustics 244/Monster/Tri traps etc.[br]#2 Movies: MKV -> Areca RAID6 server -> CAT6 -> 2 x Devolo AV200 -> CAT6 -> Mach2 Music Server -> Windows 7 Ultimate -> TotalMedia Theatre 5 -> Plogue Bidule -> ConvolverVST -> RME FF800 -> 2 x Silflex Glass Optical (ADAT) -> RME ADI-192 DD -> VOVOX mucolink direct SD -> LIO-8 -> Vovox sonorus muco S8 -> Supra Sword IXLR -> 2 x Bryston 28B-SST2 (L+R), 1 x Bryston 7B-SST2 ©, 4 x B&O ICEpower 1000ASP DIY (surround) -> 2 x VA Mahler mkII (L+R), 1 x Oratorio (center), 4 x Waltz Grand (surround), Velodyne HGS-18 (sub). Accessories: DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033, Auralex Gramma. [br]#3 Headphones: Nexus Psile (VIA based w/CF card) -> M2Tech hiFace -> Stereovox XV Ultra -> Audio-GD REF 5 w/modded connectors -> DIY ACSS cable w/UniCrystal OCC silver & LEMO -> Audio-GD Phoenix w/modded connectors-> APureSound v3 -> HD800. Accessories: PS Audio Quintet US, Neotech NEP-3001, Belden 83803, Furutech F-11, IsoNodes etc.

It would be nice to be rid of iTunes' bondage. So far most of the Mac player programs have to ride on iTunes' platform for its ubiquity and convenient user interface. But I can imagine how much of a struggle it is to keep up with it, and work within the limitation of it.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

• 1 month later...
I've just started a poll on our site, asking if people are interested in a Mac version.

POLL: Would you buy MC on OS X ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Why not post a survey here asking this question and possibly make it specific to the type of user, for example, "Yes (or No) and I am a current Mac user" and "Yes (or No) and I am a current PC user". I guess I am just thinking you might get a better overall feel for why people are answering one way or another versus a poll on a site that, I assume, is purely PC centric.

I voted yes and I would be even more so interested now with iTunes 11 coming and my feeling iTunes is shifting to a streaming/cloud concept versus a HDD/OS Server/Network streamer system approach.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I would be thrilled to have JRiver on the Mac, assuming it's comparable to the PC version. In my experience, there is no Mac application comparable to MC on the PC for very large collections, especially ones that use FLAC. That said, the only potential bars to my adoption would be cost (ideally, those with PC licenses can gain additional seats for nominal sums, given that it's unlikely that two computers would use MC at the same time) and SQ (A+ and Decibel sound great to me, but A+ is unstable when integrated with iTunes on my MacBook Pro and Decibel is completely worthless as a manager with large collections).

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 2 weeks later...