IGNORED

JRiver Media Center on Mac

jriver

Just got hold of this thread - great idea. yabb.jriver.com prolly not the best place to ask as it's mostly read by existing Windows users - can't believe how many 'people' said no just because they don't have a Mac! Talk about closed-minded & bigoted.

Will keep an eye on this with interest. Thanks :)

Just got hold of this thread - great idea. yabb.jriver.com prolly not the best place to ask as it's mostly read by existing Windows users - can't believe how many 'people' said no just because they don't have a Mac! Talk about closed-minded & bigoted.

When asked, 'people' gave honest responses about whether they would buy JRiver for Mac and why. Show some respect for other people's point of view.

Bill

When asked, 'people' gave honest responses about whether they would buy JRiver for Mac and why. Show some respect for other people's point of view.

Bill

I do have respect for other peoples views but the original question was a little poorly fielded - Voting 'No' is fine but if you're going to vote 'No' simply because you don't have the relevant hardware and never will then really, you shouldn't be voting at all.

If asked "Would you use a disabled parking space if spaces were provided at your local supermarket?" and a load of able bodied people voted no and skewed the results..... You see my point?

Gary,

I had the same reaction that Bill did. It seemed excessive to label someone a bigot because they didn't have a Mac or didn't want one or wouldn't buy an MC license if they had one.

I am the one who posed the question. It was just an attempt to gauge interest. There might have been more interest if I had asked on another forum.

In any case, I don't think you meant any harm.

Jim

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Garysan has a point there. One would think it is implied that if you do not use a Mac, there would be no reason at all to respond in the first place. Especially if one were using JRMC on another platform.

Let's hear it for a Linux version!!! ;)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Will keep an eye on this with interest. Thanks :)

Of course we are! And proud also...

But this is not the name of the game, since it is the gear we own.

Cheers!

Roch

PS/ I'm building some Win's PC music server to try JRiver & XXHighEnd, but I'm a crazy guy...

Gary,

I had the same reaction that Bill did. It seemed excessive to label someone a bigot because they didn't have a Mac or didn't want one or wouldn't buy an MC license if they had one.

I am the one who posed the question. It was just an attempt to gauge interest. There might have been more interest if I had asked on another forum.

In any case, I don't think you meant any harm.

Jim

I'd read through the comments before I posted and know from experience that most people who slag off Apple, iTunes, iPhone et all have little or no real world experience of the hardware/software they're remarking on - irritates me somewhat...

Granted though, 'Bigoted' was a bit strong so me is sorry... :(

Awww comeon Bill- you know as well as I do that the vast majority of Apple Bashers don't have any Apple gear, or often base their opinions on 20year old Apple gear. The price comparisons are often skewed too.

If anything, Mac Owners are willing to spend money on software, as well as high quality hardware. Much more so than the guy who builds a $250 cheap PC and considers it competive to something like an iMac. It isn't.

Paul

Bill

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

The problem with any computer, including a Mac, is that it is obsolete within 6 months. If one can buy 3 or 4 current products over a few years for the price of the single Mac, then buying more advanced stuff makes more sense.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Will you offer an easy link to import an existing ITunes library? Otherwise switching "cost" may just be too high.

What do yo see as the "cost" of doing the switch? I am trying to imagine what might be any sort of a big issue whether it was file transfer, copy or transcoding and do not see that as any large effort.

Maybe I am naive as to what will be required but it seems install of jriver and pointing to my HDD will get me there.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
What do yo see as the "cost" of doing the switch? I am trying to imagine what might be any sort of a big issue whether it was file transfer, copy or transcoding and do not see that as any large effort.

Maybe I am naive as to what will be required but it seem install of jriver and pointing to my HDD will get me there.

Any fiddling with Metadata that is not accepted or complicated import procedures. And actually I'm afraid I'd still have to use Itunes and JRiver in parallel, to keep feeding my iphone and Ipad.

And no idea what happens to play counts and track ratings that I think are in Itunes only and not saved in the track metadata, etc.

Honestly haven't thought this through yet.

Again, I see several defaults with Itunes, especially for classical music, but the benefits of switching away from Itunes would have to be significant, as I just don't see the transfer totally pain free.

The problem with any computer, including a Mac, is that it is obsolete within 6 months. If one can buy 3 or 4 current products over a few years for the price of the single Mac, then buying more advanced stuff makes more sense.

While too often this is the case, in the music server (example) world the power of, say, a mid-2009 Mac Mini has stood the test. A dedicated music server, if done right, relies on minimalism and simplicity for its prowess: cleanliness of sound (i.e do ONE THING, and one thing only, and do it right). In that way, these processors are not obsolete anytime soon. Be not afraid. :) And a decently equipped (RAM, SSD) Mac Mini can be had for $700 or less.

Any fiddling with Metadata that is not accepted or complicated import procedures. And actually I'm afraid I'd still have to use Itunes and JRiver in parallel, to keep feeding my iphone and Ipad.

And no idea what happens to play counts and track ratings that I think are in Itunes only and not saved in the track metadata, etc.

Again, I see several defaults with Itunes, especially for classical music, but the benefits of switching away from Itunes would have to be significant, as I just don't see the transfer totally pain free.

I didn't give thought to the potential metadata issue and that is a valid point. Perhaps there is someone on a Windows platform that has previously switched from iTunes to JRiver that can inform us of some of the considerations and issues to switching.

I think I have said earlier with iTunes apparent push towards an icloud/portable solution I look forward to a viable option and with all that current JRiver users have said (in other threads and on other forums) I think this is an exciting potential option I will certainly investigate and probably pursue.

Frank Zappa

Yes, this the Achilles Talon in the compatibility between the two very different OS, since iTunes store some (the most important) metadata in the OS.

I'm following some forums recommendations regarding the tricky way to move, for example, iTunes from Mac to Windows version. It's very complicated.

The other issue is how an external hard drives are formatted for each system. If you want plain and true compatibility, you will need FAT 32, with his limitations. Mac can read Windows formatted drives in his actual format, but with some third party utility. Windows also. But if you need to fix and external hard drive, which system you will use?

Of course I'm thinking in how to handle external HD music databases from two different OS. In the try I don't want to loose any of music, nor metadata either.

Roch

Yes, this the Achilles Talon in the compatibility between the two very different OS, since iTunes store some (the most important) metadata in the OS.

I'm following some forums recommendations regarding the tricky way to move, for example, iTunes from Mac to Windows version. It's very complicated.

The other issue is how an external hard drives are formatted for each system. If you want plain and true compatibility, you will need FAT 32, with his limitations. Mac can read Windows formatted drives in his actual format, but with some third party utility. Windows also. But if you need to fix and external hard drive, which system you will use?

Of course I'm thinking in how to handle external HD music databases from two different OS. In the try I don't want to loose any of music, nor metadata either.

Roch

Just to clarify: i don't intend to use the Windows version of JRiver, my Mac will stay 100% Windows free. I'm looking forward to testing the MacOs version that is supposed to come out at some point.

While too often this is the case, in the music server (example) world the power of, say, a mid-2009 Mac Mini has stood the test. A dedicated music server, if done right, relies on minimalism and simplicity for its prowess: cleanliness of sound (i.e do ONE THING, and one thing only, and do it right). In that way, these processors are not obsolete anytime soon. Be not afraid. :) And a decently equipped (RAM, SSD) Mac Mini can be had for $700 or less.

I assume the $700 is for a used Mac Mini but if you are referring to a 2012 with SSD and 8 GB RAM off the shelf please point me in the direction.

Frank Zappa

Roch,

Why are you moving OS's? J River runs on either.

Musicophile,

Your biggest metadata issue will be with wav files, as iTunes stores those in its own folders, not within the music files. Most other iTunes formats should be fine. Also, J River's tagging capabilities are light years ahead of iTunes, so even mass tagging (getting all "Beatles, The" and "The Beatles" to be one) is simple and straight forward. I wouldn't import everything day one, though. There is always a learning curve, so do testing (not to mention the J River release will be new too).

Well, sure- if that were the case which it is not. :)

I will recant that opinion if you or anyone can show me a comparable quality Winders PC that is equivalent in hardware, software, OS, and warranty to any comparable Mac, for 1/3rd the cost. Sucker bet though, won't happen, in the world of PCs that is. (grin)

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, sure- if that were the case which it is not. :)

I will recant that opinion if you or anyone can show me a comparable quality Winders PC that is equivalent in hardware, software, OS, and warranty to any comparable Mac, for 1/3rd the cost. Sucker bet though, won't happen, in the world of PCs that is. (grin)

Paul

I'll make that bet, for music servers that is. My CAPS V2+ is significantly better at music than my Mac Mini. A new one (mine is 3 weeks old) is about $700; a max'd Mini for music is quite a bit more (not sure 3X but not sure where that multiplier came from...he said, "over a few years" ya know). My earlier post was not about comparing MAC vs pc per se, it was about the obsolescence argument with music servers.

I assume the $700 is for a used Mac Mini but if you are referring to a 2012 with SSD and 8 GB RAM off the shelf please point me in the direction.

My point was that one could buy used with some confidence cuz music servers don't need the latest Nvidia graphics boards or thunderbolt interfaces. Or build a simple Win 8 CAPS V2+. ;)

I'll make that bet, for music servers that is. My CAPS V2+ is significantly better at music than my Mac Mini. A new one (mine is 3 weeks old) is about $700; a max'd Mini for music is quite a bit more (not sure 3X but not sure where that multiplier came from...he said, "over a few years" ya know). My earlier post was not about comparing MAC vs pc per se, it was about the obsolescence argument with music servers.

While I respect your point of view Ted, surely if you are prepared to build your own CAPS then you can take a $700 MacMini and add your own SSD for around $150.

And why are you buying the "Max'd" mini - assuming you mean the higher speed processor when you'd CAPS has a much lower powered processor.

As Paul said "equivalent" cost I think you lost that bet (IMO).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.