IGNORED

JRiver Media Center on Mac

jriver

When it's all said and done it would be interesting to compare the sound quality of the almighty JRiver running on a Windows box vs a Mac...

This will be interesting. Somehow I doubt they will be similar sounding- completely different sound engines.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Can't read it. What does it say?

I know everyone is interested how JRiver for OSX will sound, but I'm more interested in the politics of all this...

How will Apple react ?

They've had iTunes as king on OSX for years. I mean it was *the* program that kicked Apple back into life 10years back. That and how itunes all worked with the iPod ...

Yeh. I know JRiver will be like a tiny knat biting the Elephants hide... But it's going to be an annoying little knat all the same.

How is Apple going to respond ? What they going to do with the DRM? I mean the songs will still be on a Mac right?

And what about the quality side?...surely they will respond with an iTunes upgrade on that front pretty soon??

What ya all reckon?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Can't read it. What does it say?

I believe if you click on the image it will be readable .. sorry if I'm mistaken. Here is the quote and link:

Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes

"From Jim at J. River.

Here's the status to date.

As said above, we have MC's audio engine working, so we can play audio. We can encode and decode most codec's (ALAC, AIFF, etc.)

The user interface is not working yet. Parts of networking don't work. DLNA, ripping, burning and Theater View don't.

We have not looked at video or TV yet, and they will not be part of the first version.

By commenting out some non-audio features, we're expecting to be able to compile the whole program in the next few weeks.

It should take several more weeks to clean things up to the point where we could release an audio only version of MC for testing.

Expect these early builds to be available in late January or February."

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it could be worse. How's about compiling in Assembler on a mainframe via card deck overnight. Debugging daily batch runs. Taking days or weeks to get a clean compile (showing my age...).

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I also tried BootCamp + MC17. It did not like it and kept crashing/hanging. In the end I took off BootCamp and stuck with AN+ on OS X. Have to say, AN+ is now very stable and you get a very high quality of playback. Just wish the GUI was as sexy as MC. Cant have everything even though we sure try our damm hardest.

Less and less: Ikeda 9TS with Kuzma Stogi Ref and Vendetta Phono => Lamm L2 Ref & Lamm 2.2 => Tidal Piano Cera.

More and more: Mac Book Pro Retina (mid-2014) with 128GB SSD: with Audirvana 2.0) and all the while auditioning different DACs.

(something small and sometimes portable - she who must not be named demands it).

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted this on our forum. We're within weeks now of releasing a very early version.

Here's our plan. Please comment if you have a way to improve it.

1. The license will be separate from the Windows version.

2. Initial releases will have a 30 day timeout. There may be more than one of these.

3. The final price will be the same as the Windows version.

4. The Early Bird price will be $25. No refunds.

5. It probably won't be dependable for daily use for the first 3 months.

Here's the thread:

Mac OSX Progress Report

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Early Bird Licenses are available now:

Media Center - Mac

Expect First Look (Still Rough) versions by February 22.

Thanks. Can it be installed without any trouble with other programs? I just don't want iTunes to get mad!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

There will be no conflict. Early editions of the Mac version will be available after Feb 22.

Media Center - Mac

OK. Just wanted to make sure that installing it wouldn't mess with iTunes or Pure Music. The whole idea will be that JR MC-"MAC.1" will replace both of them. Correct?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

OK. Just wanted to make sure that installing it wouldn't mess with iTunes or Pure Music. The whole idea will be that JR MC-"MAC.1" will replace both of them. Correct?

The first version will be a music only edition of JRiver Media Center. It can be a complete replacement for iTunes or any other music player on Mac.

The first version will be a music only edition of JRiver Media Center. It can be a complete replacement for iTunes or any other music player on Mac.

Yes, that's all I'd want...music only!

I'll be interested in trying it. Can you explain easily in laymen's terms how & why you're able to replace two pieces (iTunes & Music Player of choice) with JRiver? Of course get it to sound as good or better.

Off to purchase...

Yes, that's all I'd want...music only!

Can you explain easily in laymen's terms how & why you're able to replace two pieces (iTunes & Music Player of choice) with JRiver?

I'm sorry. I don't understand your question. iTunes is a music player.

On Macs in the Audiophile community, iTunes is often used as a library manager only, with a separate player, like Amarra, taking on the duties of actually playing the music. It may be a little strange, but Amarra initially sold - and sold well - at a cost of over $1000. Playing over iTunes. Most of the players on the Mac side that don't use iTunes for a library manager do not get wide acceptance.

That will not be an issue with JRiver, since it comes with a very good library manage built in - just like iTunes. We are just all hoping it sounds as good as on a PC. If it does, you are going to have a huge rush on your hands, and more press than you can imagine. :)

JRiver is, I think, going to be perfectly delightful- and outside of Apple, you guys will have the majority of experience with multi-platform players.

Ordered my license as soon as I saw your post by the way - won't break my heart if you release a little early even... (grin)

Oh- I do have a question. Will JRemote work from the start? That's a very important issue, and a "yes" to that would be really nice to hear. Even though I expect your beta testers have already made it clear how important that is. :)

Music only is fine to start!

-Paul

I'm sorry. I don't understand your question. iTunes is a music player.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On Macs in the Audiophile community, iTunes is often used as a library manager only, with a separate player, like Amarra, taking on the duties of actually playing the music. It may be a little strange, but Amarra initially sold - and sold well - at a cost of over $1000. Playing over iTunes. Most of the players on the Mac side that don't use iTunes for a library manager do not get wide acceptance.

That will not be an issue with JRiver, since it comes with a very good library manage built in - just like iTunes. We are just all hoping it sounds as good as on a PC. If it does, you are going to have a huge rush on your hands, and more press than you can imagine. :)

JRiver is, I think, going to be perfectly delightful- and outside of Apple, you guys will have the majority of experience with multi-platform players.

Ordered my license as soon as I saw your post by the way - won't break my heart if you release a little early even... (grin)

Oh- I do have a question. Will JRemote work from the start? That's a very important issue, and a "yes" to that would be really nice to hear. Even though I expect your beta testers have already made it clear how important that is. :)

Music only is fine to start!

-Paul

Right. Do you understand what I'm asking?