On February 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM, jhwalker said:

The Gershwin Moment: Rhapsody in Blue; Concerto in F

Kirill Gerstein

Exciting new recording featuring not only the two well-known numbers but also some great Earl Wild virtuoso arrangements of Gershwin songs for piano.  Love the jazzy feel of all of the works - not your typical laid back "classical" performance, and Gerstein is remarkable in this (and everything else I've ever heard him do).

Highly recommended.

4260183510222_600.jpg

Thanks for recommending this. Very nice.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Klemperer recorded the Eroica twice with the Philharmonia, once 1955 in Mono, and again 1959 in Stereo. The above cover above is presumably of the Stereo version (I have the same album on CD; with a different cover, bought in the early 1990s). 

Both the mono and stereo version are available for download at Qobuz:

This should be the later stereo recording, with a different "filler", remastered in 24/96, in surprisingly acceptable SQ. 

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/beethoven-symphonie-no-3-fidelio-overture-otto-klemperer/5099992803152

And this is the earlier mono one, much more shoe box sound:

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/beethoven-symphony-3-leonore-overtures-1-2-otto-klemperer/0724356774155

Both have their merits. I prefer the stereo version due to better SQ.

Thank you, @Musicophile. A bit confusing as I had listened to the Qobuz streaming version, which has the same cover and Leonor pairing as the 24/96 download you listed (many thanks for the link), but is definitely mono, so it seems to be the 1955 version. On the other hand, the Qobuz download seems to be the 1961 stereo release later remastered, but without the Grosse Fuge original pairing that is on the Amazon CD version. And the one posted by @rando has the Grosse Fuge pairing and a cover somewhat similar to both the Qobuz versions.

But the long and the short of it is I'll get the 24/96 Qobuz download!

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Guidof said:

Thank you, @Musicophile. A bit confusing as I had listened to the Qobuz streaming version, which has the same cover and Leonor pairing as the 24/96 download you listed (many thanks for the link), but is definitely mono, so it seems to be the 1955 version. On the other hand, the Qobuz download seems to be the 1961 stereo release later remastered, but without the Grosse Fuge original pairing that is on the Amazon CD version. And the one posted by @rando has the Grosse Fuge pairing and a cover somewhat similar to both the Qobuz versions.

But the long and the short of it is I'll get the 24/96 Qobuz download!

To my knowledge there is only one stereo eroica with Klemperer. So the 24/96 should hopefully be the right one. 

cover.thumb.jpg.0bf72ecf4df8b8627f8d7c83723a0e18.jpg

Doc Cheatam: Hey Doc! (with Gene 'Mighty Flea' Connors, Ted Buckner, J.C. Heard, Carl Pruitt, and Sammy Price). Doc always was -- and still is -- a lot of fun.

Nicely detailed and airy sound from a 16/44 Qobuz download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Guidof said:

Thank you, @rando, but I was looking for a download version.

After an apparently flawed search I hit send on a post stating that it didn't appear to be available as a download.  The page rolled and there was proof it is if you have access to Quobuz.  So in place of my mistake the €4 CD link was put in.  The Japanese remaster/production for EMI of Middlesex, England may be rare, but valuable it isn't.

61n3zGe.jpg

9 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Sonate al Pizzico

Maxine Eilander / Stephen Stubbs

Excellent find! The Giovanni Maria Trabaci Toccata seconda & ligatura is really awesome. Turns out I have the harp as well as harpsichord versions in my library already. Now what to do with the big pile of Trabaci stuff? Transcription of the Monteverdi duet at the end is beautiful as well. But the whole L'incoronazione di Poppea opera has been in the play queue for a while. Seems to be a lot of harp accompaniment in there too. Backlog keeps getting bigger. Oh well... 9_9

Now Album of the Evening:

Parthenia Alina Rotaru

MI0004125065.jpg

Lydian Collective Live

If Jazz/Fusion/Instrumental and something new and "blissfully refreshing", please have an enjoyable experience with the Lydian Collective from the UK.

Two guys, two girls deliver tight original arrangements, that makes you want to listen for more.

SQ wise the Waves for Redbook are very good, a real 'live' studio recording. For convenience, these were converted to FLAC by dbpoweramp. Good height and sound stage, and the cymbals are good test for resolution and placement.

Sophie Alloway's drum technique is tops in my book, ever present joy without the need to pulverise the skins. 

Bandcamp are releasing their new CD Adventure March 30, the opening track 'Thirty One' can be purchased now, with a notification in email on the day of the release to download the rest of the album. Also plenty of You Tubes.

image.thumb.png.034e3b161cf86143c219f950b78a801e.png You tube link

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA