IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

I think you can also do this with a Sonoma Workstation. ;-)

Pls don't get that discussion restarted!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

As you can retourn to an older version at any time, you can easily try out the newer builds.

But I haven`t kept the latest build because of the (occasional) "frozen user-interface problem" which can happen with these last builds.

If you have a stable running PS3 with V. 0.30, I would keep it at that.

Returning to 3.55 at any time? For like $100-200 each, yes. Do NOT upgrade past 3.0 (at least only 3.55) if you are there now. All backwards downgrades are hardware mods.

In the next few days I will have GREAT news for Oppo and Pioneer universal player owners. :) It deserves a new thread.

In the next few days I will have GREAT news for Oppo and Pioneer universal player owners. :) It deserves a new thread.

I'll be buying an Oppo will I?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Returning to 3.55 at any time? For like $100-200 each, yes. Do NOT upgrade past 3.0 (at least only 3.55) if you are there now. All backwards downgrades are hardware mods.

My interest is massively peaked.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Ted, we have been talking about ripper builds, not the PS3s firmware version :-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I got my PS3, iso2dsd and sacd_extract 0.3.8 working on my Linux machine. Thanks for the guide ted_b!

All my SACD's already have the CD layer ripped and tagged, so I going to write a script to rename the and import those tags into the DSF files. Unless of course this tool already exists?

I got my PS3, iso2dsd and sacd_extract 0.3.8 working on my Linux machine. Thanks for the guide ted_b!

All my SACD's already have the CD layer ripped and tagged, so I going to write a script to rename the and import those tags into the DSF files. Unless of course this tool already exists?

JRiver has a "paste tag" option. Just load in the redbook files (make sure it is in the same correct order, with same number of tracks), highlight the album, right-click "copy" then highlight the dsfs and right-click "paste tag" (not "paste"). It's part of my JRiver videos. If you don't own JRiver use a trial.

After some searching with google translate, I see what ted_b is talking about. I anxiously await his translated instructions.

Are you referring to the "exciting news for Pioneer and Oppo owners"? If so, would you mind posting a link to the non-English-language page you found? Thanks!

Are you referring to the "exciting news for Pioneer and Oppo owners"? If so, would you mind posting a link to the non-English-language page you found? Thanks!

No page with instructions just a bunch of badly translated posts on a forum.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I have been using the ISO2DSD Window v7 to extract the ripped SACD iso to dsf but I have encountered several discs all Classical that cannot be done. After clicking execute and the processing shows up but nothing happens. I suspect this is because of long track name that has exceeded the 250 characters rule. Is there any way that one can overcome this? How can one shorten the track name? Any software can be used? Thanks.

... I suspect this is because of long track name that has exceeded the 250 characters rule. Is there any way that one can overcome this? How can one shorten the track name? Any software can be used? Thanks.

You can try/use the batch-file method - with a modified batch-file which extracts to tracks (and folder) with the filename of "Test" instead of maybe too long filenames.

If you need the batch files (for stereo and multichannel extractions to dsf files), just PM me your email.

Greetings,

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I have been using the ISO2DSD Window v7 to extract the ripped SACD iso to dsf but I have encountered several discs all Classical that cannot be done. After clicking execute and the processing shows up but nothing happens. I suspect this is because of long track name that has exceeded the 250 characters rule. Is there any way that one can overcome this? How can one shorten the track name? Any software can be used? Thanks.

I have been been able to rip and extract folder/file names that exceeded the Windows maximum. They did not show up until I tried to import them into JRiver. But, they did extract successfully. JRiver would tell me which files were a problem, so I could just edit the folder/file names to shorten them in Windows and reimport.

Incidentally, the length issue is about the total path length to the file starting with the drive letter and any folder names in the path down to the track file:

X:/folder1/folder2/.../albumfoldername/trackfilename

I keep all my folder names short, but if there is still a problem with a specific track, I usually shorten the albumfoldername in Windows Explorer, since often multiple tracks in an album result in a path that is too long.

Actually, what I do is use a special working folder A for the extract. X:/A/albumfoldername/trackfilename

Then, in Windows, I move the album to its final media file folder which has a longer path. If there is a length issue, Windows will tell me when I try to move the album.

But, your problem appears to occur in the extract via ISO2DSD. So, I think the problem is more likely special characters that Windows does not like that were put into the album or track name from the metadata in the ISO itself. I know of only two possible solutions for this. One is to try an older version of the SACD_EXTRACT program in Windows.

The other is to try to do the extract on an Apple and see if you can spot and eliminate any unusual characters in the folder and or filenames before transferring them to a Windows machine. Maybe it is best to just retype the folder and file names on the Apple. Apple has no length restrictions and it handles characters that Windows does not.

It is also possible that the rip did not generate a valid ISO file. Does the ISO appear to be of proper size in bytes compared to other rips? Are you able to play the ISO directly?

I have been been able to rip and extract folder/file names that exceeded the Windows maximum. They did not show up until I tried to import them into JRiver. But, they did extract successfully. JRiver would tell me which files were a problem, so I could just edit the folder/file names to shorten them in Windows and reimport.

Incidentally, the length issue is about the total path length to the file starting with the drive letter and any folder names in the path down to the track file:

X:/folder1/folder2/.../albumfoldername/trackfilename

I keep all my folder names short, but if there is still a problem with a specific track, I usually shorten the albumfoldername in Windows Explorer, since often multiple tracks in an album result in a path that is too long.

Actually, what I do is use a special working folder A for the extract. X:/A/albumfoldername/trackfilename

Then, in Windows, I move the album to its final media file folder which has a longer path. If there is a length issue, Windows will tell me when I try to move the album.

But, your problem appears to occur in the extract via ISO2DSD. So, I think the problem is more likely special characters that Windows does not like that were put into the album or track name from the metadata in the ISO itself. I know of only two possible solutions for this. One is to try an older version of the SACD_EXTRACT program in Windows.

The other is to try to do the extract on an Apple and see if you can spot and eliminate any unusual characters in the folder and or filenames before transferring them to a Windows machine. Maybe it is best to just retype the folder and file names on the Apple. Apple has no length restrictions and it handles characters that Windows does not.

It is also possible that the rip did not generate a valid ISO file. Does the ISO appear to be of proper size in bytes compared to other rips? Are you able to play the ISO directly?

Hi Fitzcaraldo215,

Thanks a lot for the reply. My problems arise whenconverting the ISO to dsf because I always rip to iso. It is possible that they could be unfamiliar names not recognised by Windows. I can try it on my macbook but it is almost 7 years old.

the ripped iso are of reasonable size about 2.7Gb. they are Classical music with multiple artists and long track name. In one disc it hangs at track 3 and cannot go on during the extraction from iso to dsf. I have tried to shorten the folder name which is the only name I can shorten. there is no way to sgorten the track names because I can't get into the tracks. Jriver cannot play these iso because I guess they are usually compressed dst. And actually I have not succeeded in playing any of the iso files in jriver. I have tried to use the tagging in jriver but without succes becasue they are not recognised by Jriver. if I am not mistaken they are shown up as cue files.

....................the ripped iso are of reasonable size about 2.7Gb. they are Classical music with multiple artists and long track name. In one disc it hangs at track 3 and cannot go on during the extraction from iso to dsf. I have tried to shorten the folder name which is the only name I can shorten.
I have had such problems ocassionally and, it turns out, there was a glitch in the ripping. When I re-rip them, the ISOs are always larger than the first time and they play/convert fine.

Jriver cannot play these iso because I guess they are usually compressed dst.
That's not it.

And actually I have not succeeded in playing any of the iso files in jriver.
A separate issue, I think.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Since you are on Windows, have you tried bogi's ISO2DSF utility?

I have occasionally had tracks that would not show up - same deal, long classical names. For me, I was able to solve this by adjusting this parameter in iso2dsf.cfg:

# parameter: $albumtitle_length

# do not change this parameter if sacd_extract works well for you

# this parameter addresses possible issue with too long sacd_extract command line

# this parameter enables to shorten album folder names, metadata is not affected

# set lower number here, if sacd_extract is started but produces no output file

# the issue is related also to length of path to sacd_extract tool

# if omitted, value 100 is used as default

$albumtitle_length=100;

Try setting it to 80 and see. Adjust lower if needed.

You can try/use the batch-file method - with a modified batch-file which extracts to tracks (and folder) with the filename of "Test" instead of maybe too long filenames.

If you need the batch files (for stereo and multichannel extractions to dsf files), just PM me your email.

Greetings,

Harald

Hi Harald,

Thanks for your batch files and instructions to run them. It runs smoothly and can extract the iso to dsf successfully. So it seems that the problem I have got is one of long track names.

Hi Fitzcaraldo215,

I tried to run the ISO2DSD for Mac but failed to open the program because it requires a 64bit system and my old MacBook is a 32 bit one so not able to test the Mac settings. I think it should also work too.

Hi Kal,

You are right about the Jriver issue. I can play the iso in Jriver now. I am using Jriver21 and will upgrade to 22 which is said to have a better SQ?

Hi austinpop,

I have not tried bogi's ISO2DSF. It seems a bit beyond my computer skills to modify the text. But thanks for the suggestion which I believe could also turn out solving the problem.

Thanks all again for all the helpful suggestions.

@hols:

Glad that the batch-files worked as intended!

Happy listening!