IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Help please, it's driving me mad. A dumb question but it's still stumping me.

I've got hold of an appropriate PS3 with firmware 3.55 and have downloaded all the files in Teds instructions.

Plugged the USB stick in with the upgrade to the Otheros 3.55 on it. The upgrade appeared to succeed, but after it rebooted the first time a message came back and told me there was no need to upgrade as I was already on the latest version. It then rebooted again. Checking the system settings, it said I was on firmware 3.55.

Unbowed I put the install package and keys on the USB stick and located the games section, but I could not see an install package option. All there is there is "Game data utility, memory card utility, saved data utility, trophy collection and PS store"

So I can't have installed the Otheros 3.55, but it appears not to let me. What am I doing wrong? Am I stuffed?

Thanks

Try the following instructions (copied from an old "how to..."):

If the steps above did not work for you, then you are probably on 3.55 already.

You will have to do a recovery menu mode installation:

1: Plug a USB stick into your computer

2: Create a folder in the root of the USB stick called PS3

3: Create a folder inside the PS3 folder called UPDATE

4: Download the 3.55 OtherOS++ firmware (Gitbrew.org)

5: Move PS3UPDAT.PUP to the directory UPDATE that you just created on the USB stick

6: Plug the USB stick into your PS3

7: Power down the PS3 through the menu

8: Now press and HOLD the power button, the system will startup and shutdown again

9: Release the power button, then press & HOLD power again, you’ll hear one beep

followed by two consecutive beeps

10: Release power then follow the on-screen instructions. YouÂ’re now in the recovery menu

11: Connect the USB device and select "System Update"

12: Accept Conditions and Follow the instructions

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Help please, it's driving me mad. A dumb question but it's still stumping me.

I've got hold of an appropriate PS3 with firmware 3.55 and have downloaded all the files in Teds instructions.

Plugged the USB stick in with the upgrade to the Otheros 3.55 on it. The upgrade appeared to succeed, but after it rebooted the first time a message came back and told me there was no need to upgrade as I was already on the latest version. It then rebooted again. Checking the system settings, it said I was on firmware 3.55.

Unbowed I put the install package and keys on the USB stick and located the games section, but I could not see an install package option. All there is there is "Game data utility, memory card utility, saved data utility, trophy collection and PS store"

So I can't have installed the Otheros 3.55, but it appears not to let me. What am I doing wrong? Am I stuffed?

Thanks

I could be wrong, but I believe that in order to replace the official 3.55FW with the OtherOS3.55 version, you need to start up the PS3 in recovery mode (or something like that). In other words, if the PS3 has a firmware version LOWER than 3.55 you can simply install OtherOS via the usual method. But if the PS3 has firmware that's already AT 3.55 you can still install OtherOS but you need to do it a different way.

I could be wrong, but I believe that in order to replace the official 3.55FW with the OtherOS3.55 version, you need to start up the PS3 in recovery mode (or something like that). In other words, if the PS3 has a firmware version LOWER than 3.55 you can simply install OtherOS via the usual method. But if the PS3 has firmware that's already AT 3.55 you can still install OtherOS but you need to do it a different way.
My experience is similar.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Ted

This is the bit that is missing

Section 2.16

If this did not work, you are likely already on stock version 3.55 NOTE: if you are already onstock version 3.55 follow these instructions (starting at line 43, to line 60)

http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/source/browse/trunk/readme

The hyperlink took me to a page that has been moved. I assume its the bit that talks about what to do if you already have v3.55

Paul

Jason did not reply to my email, so I assume he no longer offers the service. I ordered from:

astig1215 on eBay

Thanks to whomever suggested this source on this thread. My PS3 has shipped and should arrive in a few days.

I had the good fortune of ordering one of Astig's PS3 units before seeing this message. I am very impressed. Even the packaging he uses to ship these units is designed for the PS3!

Hello,

after several months of continuous research I was finally able to find in my country a PAL PS3 CECH4 with 3.50 FW, unbroken original seal, no YLOD and fully working disc player.

I have carefully vacuum cleaned the PS3 from outside and put it over a notebook support with bottom cooling fans.

I want to thank you all very much, and Ted in special way, because following his guide I was able to setup the hack/ripper package in a breeze and I have already successfully ripped 3 SACD discs with no issues at all.

I see that once started the sacd ripper app there is no way to come back: the only possibility is to shut down the PS3, right?

I have some minor questions regarding the sacd ripper package and the ISO2DSD gui, but for the moment I want only to thank you and to share with you my feeling of complete happiness that the new status of being free from the SACD physical discs is giving me in these days. :)

Still waiting mr. Wicked to complete his project (which I have signed some moths ago) because I'm not sure how long this old PS3 will last...

Ciao.

Andrea :)

I see that once started the sacd ripper app there is no way to come back: the only possibility is to shut down the PS3, right?

Do you own the original game-pad / controller?

If yes, just push the "Playstation"-button (lokated in the middle, the one with the "P" symbol on it).

That should bring up a menu which allows you to quit the game/software you are running, and - further on - to shut down the playstation via software ...

If you own only a second-market device, this function may not be implemented on the controller.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Do you own the original game-pad / controller?

If yes, just push the "Playstation"-button (lokated in the middle, the one with the "P" symbol on it).

That should bring up a menu which allows you to quit the game/software you are running, and - further on - to shut down the playstation via software ...

If you own only a second-market device, this function may not be implemented on the controller.

Hello,

many thanks for the advice,

yes I have the original controller but I have not thought at this possibility...

In the meantime I have just successfully finished to rip my Genesis '70-'75 SACD box set :)

Thanks again.

Ciao.

Andrea :)

Hi, I have recently joined the happy family of PS3 SACD iso archivers (read "a newbie"), since I own quite a few SACDs.

First, a big fat thank you to all who contributed their time & money to this cause. Much appreciated.

Now, I've got a PS3 CECHA01 all set up (OtherOS FW3.55 via recovery mode) following ted_b's instructions and successfully iso-archived a couple SACDs already using the sacd-ripper pkg v0.37. Please read the outcomes below:

1/ Depeche Mode 101 2-disc SACD - ripper ran ok, showed progress bars, completed and exited ok for both discs, joined iso #2, both ISOs will mount in Win10Pro and play via Foobar2000;

2/ Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - ripper ran ok, showed progress bars, completed and exited ok, but the ISO will not mount in Win10Pro ("The disc image file is corrupted."), but burned the iso on a DVD+R using ImgBurn and it plays ok in my Oppo BDP-93 recognized as a SACD DSD;

3/ Eagles - Hotel California (Japan) - ripper started and immediately froze, did not change the screen to show the ripping progress bars, PS3 became unresponsive, but the USB showed file I/O activity so I let it run for 3+ hours until the USB stopped showing any I/O activity, then I shut the PS3 down. The ISO will not mount in Win10Pro ("The disc image file is corrupted."), but burned the iso on a DVD+R using ImgBurn and it plays ok in my Oppo BDP-93 recognized as a SACD DSD;

4/ Diana Krall - Love Scenes - ripper started and immediately froze, did not change the screen to show the ripping progress bars, PS3 became unresponsive, but the USB showed file I/O activity so I let it run for 3+ hours until the USB stopped showing any I/O activity, then I shut the PS3 down. The ISO will not mount in Win10Pro ("The disc image file is corrupted."), but burned the iso on a DVD+R using ImgBurn and it plays ok in my Oppo BDP-93 recognized as a SACD DSD;

Also, I just tested the Eagles & Diana Krall ISOs via iso2dsd_PC_v7 and it reads and extracts both to Sony DSF format ok, and the extracted files play in Foobar2000 just fine.

Any thoughts on the sacd-ripper v0.37 freezing or the unmountable ISO images (encryption?)? Thanks in advance.

j20s13, welcome to CA, and to SACD ripping. :)

Examples 3 and 4 are discussed here quite a bit. They are called "blind rips". It's best to have a USB thumb drive with a light on it so you can tell when I/O is done (I give it, on average, 25 minutes). The rip should be fine but the PS3 needs a reboot. Sucks but not sure we'vew ever been able to reduce or troubleshoot it.

SACD ISOs do not mount (like a DVD ISO) so I am not sure what you are trying to play. ISO playback is capable in JRIver, Foobar to name two. Most players want to see extracted DSF.

j20s13, welcome to CA, and to SACD ripping. :)

Examples 3 and 4 are discussed here quite a bit. They are called "blind rips". It's best to have a USB thumb drive with a light on it so you can tell when I/O is done (I give it, on average, 25 minutes). The rip should be fine but the PS3 needs a reboot. Sucks but not sure we'vew ever been able to reduce or troubleshoot it.

SACD ISOs do not mount (like a DVD ISO) so I am not sure what you are trying to play. ISO playback is capable in JRIver, Foobar to name two. Most players want to see extracted DSF.

Ted,

I've been very happily ripping over my network direct to my NAS. The PS3 doesn't seem to get hot, nor is the disc even warm. If you leave it on after ripping, does the PS3 cool itself down after a few minutes or is it best to shutdown and then restart? (In terms of keeping the PS3 alive for as long as possible)

Jon

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Jon

I shut mine down after ripping, but not sure what is best practice. Luckily (here I go jixing it) mine has been ripping SACDs since 2011.

I'd say what you've been doing since 2011 is by my definition: best practice, thanks

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

ted_b, thanks for the clarifications. Since I archived my DM-101 first, I tried to mount the resulting ISOs using VirtualCloneDrive on my PC, and it worked (see the pic), so I assumed that was supposed to be the case for all of the SACD-ISOs, but the opposite is indeed the case.

Foobar2000 - mounted sacd-iso.jpg.

ted_b, thanks for the clarifications. Since I archived my DM-101 first, I tried to mount the resulting ISOs using VirtualCloneDrive on my PC, and it worked (see the pic), so I assumed that was supposed to be the case for all of the SACD-ISOs, but the opposite is indeed the case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25495[/ATTACH].

Some SACD discs have UDF file system, therefore those iso's can be mounted on PC. However, according to the sacd-ripper site, most SACD's don't have UDF.

hello...

I have sacd ripper v0.37 but I want the old version in .pkg files too.

help me please.

thank you.^_^

PM sent ...

Over my (probably non-optimized) wireless network the ripping speed is between 1-1.5 MB/s.

I have the same problem of very slow network rips - 1MB/s plus to the USB stick, but 0.02MB/s to the network (to my iMac running OSX 10.11). Any suggestions about how I can troubleshoot this, please? Thanks, John

I'd like to thank all who have contributed to this thread for providing the tools and information that's enabled me to rip my classical SACD collection. Having the ability to play back these rips via JRiver has been a wonderful way to enjoy these great recordings with all of the flexibility that results from using a computer as music server.

Although I've been able to rip 170+ discs successfully, I'm having problems ripping three particular Pentatone SACD's which I understand is a common problem that others have experienced with these recordings (Julia Fischer Tchaikovsky violin concerto, Mendelssohn violin trios, and Kreizberg Dvorak 7th symphony). I've tried many times with both v0.36 and v0.37 of the PS3 ripper tool, and all three of these report upon loading that they aren't valid SACD's (even though they are playable as SACD's on the PS3) and none of them do a "blind rip".

Would anyone still have access to a back-level version of the PS3 ripper code that I use to try to get a rip from these discs?